Chan 29th best coach?

The Bleacher Report rates Gailey the 29th best head coach in the NFL. Agree or disagree?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/719754-power-ranking-all-32-nfl-head-coaches-in-the-game-today/page/5

29. Chan Gailey, Buffalo Bills

Winning in the AFC East is not an easy thing to do when you have to play the New England Patriots, New York Jets and Miami Dolphins six times each year.

Chan Gailey knows this all too well.

Gailey is known as a brilliant offensive coordinator, going back to his days on Bill Cowher's staff in Pittsburgh.

While Gailey may have amazing game plans and a brilliant scheme, his development of players is lacking. Gailey, in two stops as an NFL coach, has never shown the ability to find talent or mold existing players in to more than they were before him.

Career Record: 22-26

Playoff Record: 0-2 (Dallas)

Notable Accomplishments: 1 NFC East Championship, 2 Playoff Berths

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bleacher Report rates Gailey the 29th best head coach in the NFL. Agree or disagree?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/719754-power-ranking-all-32-nfl-head-coaches-in-the-game-today/page/5

29. Chan Gailey, Buffalo Bills

Winning in the AFC East is not an easy thing to do when you have to play the New England Patriots, New York Jets and Miami Dolphins six times each year.

Chan Gailey knows this all too well.

Gailey is known as a brilliant offensive coordinator, going back to his days on Bill Cowher's staff in Pittsburgh.

While Gailey may have amazing game plans and a brilliant scheme, his development of players is lacking. Gailey, in two stops as an NFL coach, has never shown the ability to find talent or mold existing players in to more than they were before him.

Career Record: 22-26

Playoff Record: 0-2 (Dallas)

Notable Accomplishments: 1 NFC East Championship, 2 Playoff Berths

Those are all just individual's opinions, as I saw a list just last week on the same website that had him at #21. I personally would put him somewhere in between 21 and 29 myself.

you gotta win if your are going to be respected. He was slow on the pickup when he got here, overplayed Trent Edwards long beyond the time he should have given up on him, failed to address a pathetic offensive and finished with a worse record than the guy he preceded. That makes him 32d.

However...he has found his qb, has what looks to be a good draft at least on the defensive side of the ball, has his system in place, had a nice run at the latter part of last season...so I think he will be moving up this year. I was a nay sayer when he was hired, was puzzled at a lot of things he did, but I'm starting to see progress so I'm cautiously optimistic about him as a coach. That being said...fix the offensive line Chan...

you gotta win if your are going to be respected. He was slow on the pickup when he got here, overplayed Trent Edwards long beyond the time he should have given up on him, failed to address a pathetic offensive and finished with a worse record than the guy he preceded. That makes him 32d.

However...he has found his qb, has what looks to be a good draft at least on the defensive side of the ball, has his system in place, had a nice run at the latter part of last season...so I think he will be moving up this year. I was a nay sayer when he was hired, was puzzled at a lot of things he did, but I'm starting to see progress so I'm cautiously optimistic about him as a coach. That being said...fix the offensive line Chan...

You are correct. Everyone talks about how he is this offensive genius, and quarterback guru, but he really hasn't done anything here yet, or in the NFL period for that matter to be ranked very high. He took over the same team pretty much as the year before, except healthier and won less games? That isn't going to shoot you up the list of coaches rankings.

You are correct. Everyone talks about how he is this offensive genius, and quarterback guru, but he really hasn't done anything here yet, or in the NFL period for that matter to be ranked very high. He took over the same team pretty much as the year before, except healthier and won less games? That isn't going to shoot you up the list of coaches rankings.

But, we lost a great Defensive coordinator (Fewell) and the D went down as a result. If Edward's can't get this D together the first few games (i.e. if the Pats explode on us) then it's time to demote Edwards to LB coach where he belongs and promote Wanny.

Edited by RyanC883

You knowm billsfreak, all you say is true, but, for some reason, I like Gailey. Even though they lost more games, I found the effort and game day competance so far above what we had grown accustomed to, under Jauron. Funny, Jauron was always labled as some "great teacher", but I would sum up his tenure the same way they are criticizing Gailey here.

I don't think in all the time Jauron was here, any player really improved. I suppose Jason Peters would be the only example. Guys would come in, and show some flashes as a rookie, and then, they never made any real impact, anywhere, except maybe, special teams, if we were lucky.

To me Gailey, albeit after only one year, seems like such an improvement. When he talks, he sounds like a football coach, and he sounds confident. His track record may be spotty, or mediocre, but he has pretty much always been in dysfunctional situations. When he was HC in Dallas, his owner was always looking for a bigger name, and he had a hard time getting established vets (namely Aikman) on board with his game plans.

Edited by Buftex

You knowm billsfreak, all you say is true, but, for some reason, I like Gailey. Even though they lost more games, I found the effort and game day competance so far above what we had grown accustomed to, under Jauron. Funny, Jauron was always labled as some "great teacher", but I would sum up his tenure the same way they are criticizing Gailey here.

I don't think in all the time Jauron was here, any player really improved. I suppose Jason Peters would be the only example. Guys would come in, and show some flashes as a rookie, and then, they never made any real impact, anywhere, except maybe, special teams, if we were lucky.

To me Gailey, albeit after only one year, seems like such an improvement. When he talks, he sounds like a football coach, and he sounds confident. His track record may be spotty, or mediocre, but he has pretty much always been in dysfunctional situations. When he was HC in Dallas, his owner was always looking for a bigger name, and he had a hard time getting established vets (namely Aikman) on board with his game plans.

I didn't say I didn't like him myself, I am just not going to anoint the guy the next Vince Lombardi until he does something. I have a feeling that he might be starting to turn it around too, my heart wants me to think that, but my head tell me to be pessimistic until he does something. To be honest, out of the two that hey hired this time last year, I have a much better feeling about Gailey as a head coach than I do about Nix as the GM. I think as far as his tenure in Dallas, he took over at the tail end of the run of a great team, they made the playoffs based on experience and aging talents, something they could have done with anyone just about, but he failed to keep the ship afloat whether it was his fault or not, we will never know.

Edited by billsfreak

I didn't say I didn't like him myself, I am just not going to anoint the guy the next Vince Lombardi until he does something. I have a feeling that he might be starting to turn it around too, my heart wants me to think that, but my head tell me to be pessimistic until he does something. To be honest, out of the two that hey hired this time last year, I have a much better feeling about Gailey as a head coach than I do about Nix as the GM. I think as far as his tenure in Dallas, he took over at the tail end of the run of a great team, they made the playoffs based on experience and aging talents, something they could have done with anyone just about, but he failed to keep the ship afloat whether it was his fault or not, we will never know.

I agree with you there, too...

We had one of the worst records in the league. No excuses. He's a poor coach until he produces a winning team.

And on the other side of the coin.

Until we produce a winning record, it's easy to say we have one of the least talented teams in the league.

The players make the coach. Just ask Jim Caldwell in Indy.

Good QB does that all by itself for them. Their OLINe was totally banged up last year. They can't run the ball at all, 29th in the NFL, 15 yards less than the Bills. Dallas Clark was out almost all season, and Reggie Wayne is all they had. Everyone else is filler, I mean, Jacob Tamme had 67 catches, who the heck is this guy? Garcon was 6th round and missed games, Collie was 4th round and missed 7 games, Blair White was not drafted and missed games. I don't want to hear crap about the Bills not running the ball and OLINE stinks and the WRs are all rookies and late picks and the defense stinks. The Colts let up 2 less points a game on defense and 20 less yards.

Bills have a bad coach and bad QB, a recipe for disaster. The epitome of bad coach is the 2nd Patriots game, Bills start out rushing 6 straight times for 59 yards to the Pats 13 yard line, then they pass and then lineup in shot and run for 5 and then shotgun pass again? Horrible coaching. 7 rushes for 64 yards on drive 1, and then they run it only 13 times more that game and we are forced to watch Fitz turn the ball over 6 times. Pathetic coach and worst QB. The bad part is for the game the Bills had 20 rushes for 125 yards. Gailey sucks.

We had one of the worst records in the league. No excuses. He's a poor coach until he produces a winning team.

And on the other side of the coin.

Until we produce a winning record, it's easy to say we have one of the least talented teams in the league.

I don't think players determine how good a coach is. Only how many wins he gets.

A good coach is someone who gets the best out of his players. If we had 2-14 talent last year but still won 4 games, then Chan is already a good coach.

We got better as the year progressed (until the injury bug killed what little offense we had). Definitely not the bottom of the barrel. Chan did ok with what he had. Hopefully we have a season in 2011!

Do we pick 3rd again next year if there's no season??

Good QB does that all by itself for them. Their OLINe was totally banged up last year. They can't run the ball at all, 29th in the NFL, 15 yards less than the Bills. Dallas Clark was out almost all season, and Reggie Wayne is all they had. Everyone else is filler, I mean, Jacob Tamme had 67 catches, who the heck is this guy? Garcon was 6th round and missed games, Collie was 4th round and missed 7 games, Blair White was not drafted and missed games. I don't want to hear crap about the Bills not running the ball and OLINE stinks and the WRs are all rookies and late picks and the defense stinks. The Colts let up 2 less points a game on defense and 20 less yards.

Bills have a bad coach and bad QB, a recipe for disaster. The epitome of bad coach is the 2nd Patriots game, Bills start out rushing 6 straight times for 59 yards to the Pats 13 yard line, then they pass and then lineup in shot and run for 5 and then shotgun pass again? Horrible coaching. 7 rushes for 64 yards on drive 1, and then they run it only 13 times more that game and we are forced to watch Fitz turn the ball over 6 times. Pathetic coach and worst QB. The bad part is for the game the Bills had 20 rushes for 125 yards. Gailey sucks.

IMO, Peyton Manning is not what you would call a "good" QB. He is an elite QB...quite possibly the best QB in the history of the game. I seriously doubt that a "good" QB like Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco would have produced the same results as Peyton, given the situation. Furthermore, I think your assessment of Fitz and Gailey is highly inaccurate. "Pathetic coach and worst QB"?? As evidence for this, you site examples from one game...against the Patriots?!?!?! Chan Gailey greatly improved one of the worst offenses in 2009 without the benefit of good free agency acquisitions and good offensive draft picks. Fitz had a very respectable season. Posts like this make me want to puke.

Also, coaches often need to almost abandon the rushing portion of their offensive game plan when they are down by 2-3 TD's in the 2nd quarter......Duh!

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

IMO, Peyton Manning is not what you would call a "good" QB. He is an elite QB...quite possibly the best QB in the history of the game. I seriously doubt that a "good" QB like Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco would have produced the same results as Peyton, given the situation. Furthermore, I think your assessment of Fitz and Gailey is highly inaccurate. "Pathetic coach and worst QB"?? As evidence for this, you site examples from one game...against the Patriots?!?!?! Chan Gailey greatly improved one of the worst offenses in 2009 without the benefit of good free agency acquisitions and good offensive draft picks. Fitz had a very respectable season. Posts like this make me want to puke.

Also, coaches often need to almost abandon the rushing portion of their offensive game plan when they are down by 2-3 TD's in the 2nd quarter......Duh!

Hilarious that the offense was greatly improved. The offense was no better, they improved 1 spot in points and 1 spot in yards and the defense got worse. I would say Gailey did a horrible job last year and now we are going into a year with a guy at QB who could not cut it with 2 bad teams was beat out by Trent Edwards twice as a starter. Ugh.

But, we lost a great Defensive coordinator (Fewell) and the D went down as a result. If Edward's can't get this D together the first few games (i.e. if the Pats explode on us) then it's time to demote Edwards to LB coach where he belongs and promote Wanny.

Gailey's biggest mistake by far was bringing in an incompetent and inexperienced defensive coordinator. Had he brought in a wade phillips or a dom capers type to run a 3-4 we would have been much better, in spite of mediocre talent.

I agree with you there, too...

Just curious....Why do you feel more comfortable with Chan as a HC than Nix as a GM? What has Nix done to make you feel this way? Personally, I think Nix has this franchise moving in the right direction, and if we falter it will likely be Gailey seeing the door before Nix.

Edited by buffalohotwings

Hilarious that the offense was greatly improved. The offense was no better, they improved 1 spot in points and 1 spot in yards and the defense got worse. I would say Gailey did a horrible job last year and now we are going into a year with a guy at QB who could not cut it with 2 bad teams was beat out by Trent Edwards twice as a starter. Ugh.

Since you feel the need to direct every thread to how "Fitz sucks" please let us all know how you would have addressed the QB situation had you been given the job rather than Nix. Which free agents, or draft picks would you have pursued? Who would you have traded for?

Since you feel the need to direct every thread to how "Fitz sucks" please let us all know how you would have addressed the QB situation had you been given the job rather than Nix. Which free agents, or draft picks would you have pursued? Who would you have traded for?

That's not my job. If I suggest people I would be arm chair QB and if you are so smart then why aren't you on the Bills staff, why aren't you the GM, how come you can't throw the ball accurately either?

All I know is Fitz is decent backup, that is it and it is pretty easy to see you can't win with him. He has proven it.