June Movies: Transformers 3, Green Lantern, Super 8, & Cars 2...

The 2011 Summer Season of movies is off to a big start. The month of May produced big hits with "Thor", "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides", and "The Hangover Part 2". Meanwhile, "Bridesmaids", is looking to be one of this years sleeper hits. Now the Summer Season will be full steam ahead as schools begin to close, which will have the young demographic more available for the entire week. Two sequels, a prequel, a new potential superhero franchise, and a big sci-fi thriller from one of Hollywood's latest hot new talents, will have movie distributors screaming with delight when the box office receipts return.

Paramount Pictures continues it's lucrative robots in disguise franchise with "Transformers: Dark of the Moon". Moving up a couple of days from it's original July 1st release, in order to get a full week affect for the long 4th of July weekend, Paramount is looking to make what is apparently the last film in this series a memorable one. Against the backdrop of the space race between the U.S.S.R. and the USA, the alliance between Sam Witwicky and Optimus Prime is put to the test against a common enemy: Shockwave. What is being promoted as a much darker film than the previous two, there is no doubt that there will be plenty of destruction to be witnessed. Starring Shia LaBeouf, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Tyrese Gibson, Josh Duhamel, John Malkovich, John Turturro, Frances McDormand, Patrick Dempsey, Hugo Weaving, Peter Cullen, Frank Welker, & Leonard Nimoy.

Warner Bros. & DC Comics look to expand their superhero universe with hopes of beginning a new franchise with "Green Lantern". When he's granted a mystical green ring that bestows him with otherworldly powers, test pilot Hal Jordan becomes the first human to earn membership into an intergalactic squadron tasked with keeping peace within the universe. His mission: to combat an enemy called Parallax, which threatens to destroy the universe's balance of power. Both DC & Warner Bros. hope that they have found another outlet aside from Batman and Superman to satisfy their fans. Signing Ryan Reynolds as the titular character is a big plus, as he has become one of Hollywood's rising stars. If fans accept this movie, we may have a new franchise on our hands. Also starring Blake Lively, Peter Sarsgaard, Geoffrey Rush, Michael Clarke Duncan, Tim Robbins, Mark Strong & Temuera Morrison.

Paramount Pictures, Steven Spielberg & J.J. Abrams bring us, "Super 8". Ohio, 1979: when kids shooting a super 8 movie witness a train crash, their shock soon turns to feelings of suspicion and horror after disappearances and inexplicable events begin to take place in town. Abrams directs and writes, and Spielberg produces. The people behind this project have done a great job of keeping the lid on major plot points of this movie, as trailers have been vague, yet intriguing. This smaller film could turn out to be one of the biggest treats of the summer, as it feels like "Old-school Spielberg". Starring Elle Fanning, Amanda Michalka & Kyle Chandler.

Disney & Pixar are back with "Cars 2". Lightning McQueen, pit boss Mater, and the rest of Lightning's crew enter the Race of Champions, a multi-national event taking place in Japan, Germany, Italy, France, and England. While many fans are almost unanimous on "Cars" being the weakest of the Disney/Pixar films, we should not forget that "Toy Story 3", "Up", and "Wall-E", have taught us that you can never dismiss the people who work on these films. They always find a way to deliver a good movie. Starring Owen Wilson, Larry the Cable Guy, Michael Caine, Jason Issacs, John Turturro, Bonnie Hunt, Cheech Marin, John Ratzenberger, Joe Mantegna, Tony Shalhoub, Emily Mortimer, Bruce Campbell & Jeff Gordon.

20th Century Fox & Marvel Comics continue their mutant superhero series with the prequel "X-Men: First Class". Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr are two young men discovering their powers. Banding together with fellow mutants to stop a threat to the world, a rift grows between the two forces, leading to the founding of Professor X's X-Men and Magneto's Brotherhood, and the beginning of their eternal war. Going young with this franchise was a smart move. There is plenty of young, beautiful talent involved, and the 1960's backdrop adds great flavor. Starring James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Rose Byrne, Kevin Bacon, Oliver Platt & January Jones.

Lo and behold, we have a Jim Carrey sighting, as he stars in "Mr.Popper's Penguins". After businessman Mr. Popper receives a penguin as a gift, he soon finds himself the caretaker of five more of the seabirds, and he subsequently changes his life and home to accommodate his new charges. It's been two years since we last saw Carrey, but three years since he'd been in a comedy. Does he still have box office clout? Also starring Carla Gugino & Angela Lansbury.

Cameron Diaz headlines "Bad Teacher". Dumped by her sugar daddy, an unsaintly schoolteacher targets one of her colleagues as her next lover -- a plan that pits her against a popular co-worker. Also starring Lucy Punch, Jason Segel & Justin Timberlake.

In "Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer", When her parents take an unexpected trip to California, third-grader Judy Moody creates a series of dares in order to have the most thrilling summer of her life. Her way-cool Aunt Opal and little brother Stink join in the adventures. Starring Jordana Beatty, Heather Graham & Parris Mosteller.

Finally in "A Better Life", A crisis befalls Carlos, an illegal immigrant working as a landscaper in Los Angeles and focused on providing a better life for his son. Starring Demian Belchir & Jose Julian.

Calendar with Trailers:

6/3

"X-Men: First Class": http://www.x-menfirstclassmovie.com/

6/10

"Super 8": http://www.super8-movie.com/

"Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer": http://judymoodymovie.com/

6/17

"Green Lantern": http://greenlanternmovie.warnerbros.com/

"Mr.Popper's Penguins": http://www.popperspenguins.com/

6/24

"Cars 2": http://disney.go.com/cars/

"Bad Teacher": http://www.areyouabadteacher.com/

"A Better Life": http://www.facebook.com/ABetterLifeMovie

6/29

"Transformers: Dark of the Moon": http://www.transformersmovie.com/

That's all for now, Independent Films will be posted later. Enjoy!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be a busy month for me. I think I'm most interested in the Green Lantern right now. And yes, looking at who is all over the trailers, there's going to be a franchise there.

This is going to be a busy month for me. I think I'm most interested in the Green Lantern right now. And yes, looking at who is all over the trailers, there's going to be a franchise there.

I saw footage of Green Lantern at WonderCon this year and the special effects look great and Ryan Reynolds is definitely a character. While I look forward to seeing it, I'm not exactly thrilled to see it. Maybe DC has something good on it's hands.

This is a busy month for me as well. I'll see X-Men this weekend, I can not wait for Super 8 next week, and of course I gotta see what Transformers has got.

The 2011 Summer Season of movies is off to a big start. The month of May produced big hits with "Thor", "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides", and "The Hangover Part 2". Meanwhile, "Bridesmaids", is looking to be one of this years sleeper hits. Now the Summer Season will be full steam ahead as schools begin to close, which will have the young demographic more available for the entire week. Two sequels, a prequel, a new potential superhero franchise, and a big sci-fi thriller from one of Hollywood's latest hot new talents, will have movie distributors screaming with delight when the box office receipts return.

Paramount Pictures continues it's lucrative robots in disguise franchise with "Transformers: Dark of the Moon". Moving up a couple of days from it's original July 1st release, in order to get a full week affect for the long 4th of July weekend, Paramount is looking to make what is apparently the last film in this series a memorable one. Against the backdrop of the space race between the U.S.S.R. and the USA, the alliance between Sam Witwicky and Optimus Prime is put to the test against a common enemy: Shockwave. What is being promoted as a much darker film than the previous two, there is no doubt that there will be plenty of destruction to be witnessed. Starring Shia LaBeouf, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Tyrese Gibson, Josh Duhamel, John Malkovich, John Turturro, Frances McDormand, Patrick Dempsey, Hugo Weaving, Peter Cullen, Frank Welker, & Leonard Nimoy.

Warner Bros. & DC Comics look to expand their superhero universe with hopes of beginning a new franchise with "Green Lantern". When he's granted a mystical green ring that bestows him with otherworldly powers, test pilot Hal Jordan becomes the first human to earn membership into an intergalactic squadron tasked with keeping peace within the universe. His mission: to combat an enemy called Parallax, which threatens to destroy the universe's balance of power. Both DC & Warner Bros. hope that they have found another outlet aside from Batman and Superman to satisfy their fans. Signing Ryan Reynolds as the titular character is a big plus, as he has become one of Hollywood's rising stars. If fans accept this movie, we may have a new franchise on our hands. Also starring Blake Lively, Peter Sarsgaard, Geoffrey Rush, Michael Clarke Duncan, Tim Robbins, Mark Strong & Temuera Morrison.

Paramount Pictures, Steven Spielberg & J.J. Abrams bring us, "Super 8". Ohio, 1979: when kids shooting a super 8 movie witness a train crash, their shock soon turns to feelings of suspicion and horror after disappearances and inexplicable events begin to take place in town. Abrams directs and writes, and Spielberg produces. The people behind this project have done a great job of keeping the lid on major plot points of this movie, as trailers have been vague, yet intriguing. This smaller film could turn out to be one of the biggest treats of the summer, as it feels like "Old-school Spielberg". Starring Elle Fanning, Amanda Michalka & Kyle Chandler.

Disney & Pixar are back with "Cars 2". Lightning McQueen, pit boss Mater, and the rest of Lightning's crew enter the Race of Champions, a multi-national event taking place in Japan, Germany, Italy, France, and England. While many fans are almost unanimous on "Cars" being the weakest of the Disney/Pixar films, we should not forget that "Toy Story 3", "Up", and "Wall-E", have taught us that you can never dismiss the people who work on these films. They always find a way to deliver a good movie. Starring Owen Wilson, Larry the Cable Guy, Michael Caine, Jason Issacs, John Turturro, Bonnie Hunt, Cheech Marin, John Ratzenberger, Joe Mantegna, Tony Shalhoub, Emily Mortimer, Bruce Campbell & Jeff Gordon.

20th Century Fox & Marvel Comics continue their mutant superhero series with the prequel "X-Men: First Class". Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr are two young men discovering their powers. Banding together with fellow mutants to stop a threat to the world, a rift grows between the two forces, leading to the founding of Professor X's X-Men and Magneto's Brotherhood, and the beginning of their eternal war. Going young with this franchise was a smart move. There is plenty of young, beautiful talent involved, and the 1960's backdrop adds great flavor. Starring James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Rose Byrne, Kevin Bacon, Oliver Platt & January Jones.

Lo and behold, we have a Jim Carrey sighting, as he stars in "Mr.Popper's Penguins". After businessman Mr. Popper receives a penguin as a gift, he soon finds himself the caretaker of five more of the seabirds, and he subsequently changes his life and home to accommodate his new charges. It's been two years since we last saw Carrey, but three years since he'd been in a comedy. Does he still have box office clout? Also starring Carla Gugino & Angela Lansbury.

Cameron Diaz headlines "Bad Teacher". Dumped by her sugar daddy, an unsaintly schoolteacher targets one of her colleagues as her next lover -- a plan that pits her against a popular co-worker. Also starring Lucy Punch, Jason Segel & Justin Timberlake.

In "Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer", When her parents take an unexpected trip to California, third-grader Judy Moody creates a series of dares in order to have the most thrilling summer of her life. Her way-cool Aunt Opal and little brother Stink join in the adventures. Starring Jordana Beatty, Heather Graham & Parris Mosteller.

Finally in "A Better Life", A crisis befalls Carlos, an illegal immigrant working as a landscaper in Los Angeles and focused on providing a better life for his son. Starring Demian Belchir & Jose Julian.

Calendar with Trailers:

6/3

"X-Men: First Class": http://www.x-menfirstclassmovie.com/

6/10

"Super 8": http://www.super8-movie.com/

"Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer": http://judymoodymovie.com/

6/17

"Green Lantern": http://greenlanternmovie.warnerbros.com/

"Mr.Popper's Penguins": http://www.popperspenguins.com/

6/24

"Cars 2": http://disney.go.com/cars/

"Bad Teacher": http://www.areyouabadteacher.com/

"A Better Life": http://www.facebook.com/ABetterLifeMovie

6/29

"Transformers: Dark of the Moon": http://www.transformersmovie.com/

That's all for now, Independent Films will be posted later. Enjoy!

"Transformers Dark of the Moon"...a must see for me with Leonard Nimoy.

"Super 8"...is this a true story?

"Cars 2"...a must see too with fellow Texan Owen Wilson and for fun Larry the Cable Guy.

"Mr Poppers Penquins"...Jim Carrey...will I feel like I am looking at the Dallas Maverick coach Rick Carlisle..

and Angela Lansbury of " Murder She Wrote" is still alive?

Thanks as always Mark. I look forward to this post each month.

Your welcome, and thanks for the feedback. I have fun posting this stuff for everyone here.

westside

Posted Today, 04:08 PM

Greta job as usual Mark. Really appreciate the work you put into this each month. I always look forward to it. BTW, super 8 looks cool! So does X-men. I guess i will be spending a lot of time at the movies this month.

Yes, I'll be seeing X-Men tomorrow, and I saw some early reviews for Super 8 over at rotten tomatoes. Both of these movies got high marks.

Saw "X-Men: First Class" this weekend, and it was great. Rebooting the franchise with newcomers and returning Bryan Singer to the mix were great moves. Director Matthew Vaughn("Kick-Ass", "Stardust" & "Layer Cake") could be moving up to bigger things in the future.

James McAvoy & Michael Fassbender fit the bill as Xavier & Magneto. Jennifer Lawrence is very good as Raven/Mystique, and is quickly becoming one of Hollywood's rising stars. Finally Kevin Bacon is fantastic as villain Sebastian Shaw.

So far Marvel is 2/2 this summer.

Super 8 comes out Friday. Can't wait!

Saw "X-Men: First Class" this weekend, and it was great. Rebooting the franchise with newcomers and returning Bryan Singer to the mix were great moves. Director Matthew Vaughn("Kick-Ass", "Stardust" & "Layer Cake") could be moving up to bigger things in the future.

James McAvoy & Michael Fassbender fit the bill as Xavier & Magneto. Jennifer Lawrence is very good as Raven/Mystique, and is quickly becoming one of Hollywood's rising stars. Finally Kevin Bacon is fantastic as villain Sebastian Shaw.

So far Marvel is 2/2 this summer.

Super 8 comes out Friday. Can't wait!

Thanks for the review of "X-Men:First Class". I look forward to checking it out this week

and doing Super 8 next week!

Great. Another !@#$ing ice rat movie. Flightless !@#$ing pieces of ****.

Saw "Super 8" last night and I advise all of you to check it out. It is worth your time. For those of you that do not think that there are no more good mainstream movies being made in the summertime anymore, then you should see this.

Good acting by the kids in this film and fine direction by J.J. Abrams, "Super 8" has a great blend of drama, comedy & thrills.

I'm not going to get into details of the movie, all I can say is, see it and you will be pleased.

Saw "Super 8" last night and I advise all of you to check it out. It is worth your time. For those of you that do not think that there are no more good mainstream movies being made in the summertime anymore, then you should see this.

Good acting by the kids in this film and fine direction by J.J. Abrams, "Super 8" has a great blend of drama, comedy & thrills.

I'm not going to get into details of the movie, all I can say is, see it and you will be pleased.

I agree. If you're a Spielberg movie fan, you're going to like it.

I saw the Hangover and X-Men this weekend (a very rainy weekend, had to do something). I really enjoyed X-Men. Like many of the reviews have said, the guy who played Magneto is going to be making a name for himself shortly. He was really good. I wasn't too crazy about the whole Mystique subplot, but it worked out well enough, so I can't complain.

Oh, and the cameo was hilarious.