June Movies: Transformers 3, Green Lantern, Super 8, & Cars 2...

Saw "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" and while it is an improvement over "Revenge of the Fallen", the Transformers once again take the back seat to Sam Witwicky. In fact the last two movies should've been entitled "Sam Witwicky and some robots from outer space".

If you are a Transformers purist like I am, you will be disappointed, if not then you might have a good time with this film. The addition of Sentinel Prime is very good and Leonard Nimoy's voice of the character is great. In fact he delivers the best line in the whole movie. Patrick Dempsey is a surprise and shows more range than we see from him on Grey's Anatomy.

Aside from that there is plenty to forget. Yes the special effects are top notch, and although I did not see this movie in 3D, I'm sure it would be a great viewing in that format. Rosie Huntigton-Whitely is eye candy and nothing more. Shia LaBeouf whines and yells a lot. John Turturro is the same obnoxious unappealing character, and John Malkovich & Frances McDormand are just wasting their time in this flick.

Don't get me started on the use of the Decepticons in this movie. They look awesome, but that's about it. There is a brief fantastic scene with Megatron, Soundwave, Starscream & Lazerbeak and no humans in sight. It is a scene that just makes you wish you had more of in this entire trilogy. Alas it is all you get.

It looks like this will be the end for Transformers on the big screen for a little while and that is good. When the franchise is continued, hopefully Paramount will find a better director, better writers and better actors for this franchise. Then finally Transformers can be taken just a little bit more serious.

I loved the Spock references. They were really timely seeing as how I watched Wrath of Khan last night. That and the final battle were just about all I enjoyed.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic