For those griping about us not drafting a QB...

...first of all, I truly believe that neither Cam Newton nor Blaine Gabbert will materialize into a good NFL quarterback. In my opinion, this was one of the weakest QB draft classes of all time. Secondly, we get alot of flack for our front office being a "bunch of southern rednecks". Well, those bunch of "Southern rednecks" may have just put together one of the best NFL drafts we've ever had. Coming off a year where they rushed the C.J. Spiller pick to the podium like they stole something and like it was the greatest thing anyone has ever done, when, in fact, it was a pick the Bills didn't need with, at the time, Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch on the roster. Oh, and add the fact that Spiller rarely even played in 2010.

This years draft, however, made me actually believe that Buffalo will be a half-way decent team in 2011...if there is a 2011. A defensive themed draft was what this team needed. I will say this, and its only my opinion but I would like to get other Bills' fans opinions on this: Was the 2010 Buffalo Bills rush defense not THE worst rush defense you have EVER seen in your entire life???!!! Which makes the Marcell Darius pick the best possible pick for the Bills. NOT Cam Newton, reminds me so much of Jamarcus Russell that its not funny. NOT Von Miller, who reminds me so much of Aaron Maybin that its even LESS funny.

That being said, I have to wonder what becomes of Kyle Williams, who actually had a pretty good year last year at DT. My only thought could be that they try to trim down one of there guys and convert one of them into a DE. Hopefully, this time that will work (see Marcus Stroud). And as for QB, I've felt as good about a Bills QB in, probably, eight years when we acquired Bledsoe from New England. I know, call me crazy, but Fitzpatrick reminds me alot of Brett Favre, minus all the gauty stats, records, Superbowl ring and Marital troubles. Fitz has guts...PERIOD. He will go out and sling the ball into tight windows and he has a real passion for the game. Not to mention, he is becoming a fantastic on-the-field and locker room leader. I know everybody wants that "Franchise" guy that will lead the Bills for years to come, as do I, but in the 2011 NFL draft, not one of the 32 NFL teams got that guy, I can assure you of that.

...first of all, I truly believe that neither Cam Newton nor Blaine Gabbert will materialize into a good NFL quarterback. In my opinion, this was one of the weakest QB draft classes of all time. Secondly, we get alot of flack for our front office being a "bunch of southern rednecks". Well, those bunch of "Southern rednecks" may have just put together one of the best NFL drafts we've ever had. Coming off a year where they rushed the C.J. Spiller pick to the podium like they stole something and like it was the greatest thing anyone has ever done, when, in fact, it was a pick the Bills didn't need with, at the time, Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch on the roster. Oh, and add the fact that Spiller rarely even played in 2010.

This years draft, however, made me actually believe that Buffalo will be a half-way decent team in 2011...if there is a 2011. A defensive themed draft was what this team needed. I will say this, and its only my opinion but I would like to get other Bills' fans opinions on this: Was the 2010 Buffalo Bills rush defense not THE worst rush defense you have EVER seen in your entire life???!!! Which makes the Marcell Darius pick the best possible pick for the Bills. NOT Cam Newton, reminds me so much of Jamarcus Russell that its not funny. NOT Von Miller, who reminds me so much of Aaron Maybin that its even LESS funny.

That being said, I have to wonder what becomes of Kyle Williams, who actually had a pretty good year last year at DT. My only thought could be that they try to trim down one of there guys and convert one of them into a DE. Hopefully, this time that will work (see Marcus Stroud). And as for QB, I've felt as good about a Bills QB in, probably, eight years when we acquired Bledsoe from New England. I know, call me crazy, but Fitzpatrick reminds me alot of Brett Favre, minus all the gauty stats, records, Superbowl ring and Marital troubles. Fitz has guts...PERIOD. He will go out and sling the ball into tight windows and he has a real passion for the game. Not to mention, he is becoming a fantastic on-the-field and locker room leader. I know everybody wants that "Franchise" guy that will lead the Bills for years to come, as do I, but in the 2011 NFL draft, not one of the 32 NFL teams got that guy, I can assure you of that.

Really? Worse than

2007s Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Trent Edwards?

2006s Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Kellen Clements, Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, Brodie Croyle?

2002s David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey, Rohan Davey, David Garrard, Josh McCown?

Interesting. :thumbdown:

I see this draft class changing the Bills significantly. I agree with the OP that this was a very light year for QB's. Fitz is not the dream QB that you might want but he is smart, a good leader and appears to have Gailey's trust. The situation could be far worse. I think the Bills have two years to find the next QB. Fitz probably has four or five good seasons left in him so it leaves the Bills some time to groom the next guy.

That being said, I have to wonder what becomes of Kyle Williams, who actually had a pretty good year last year at DT. My only thought could be that they try to trim down one of there guys and convert one of them into a DE. Hopefully, this time that will work (see Marcus Stroud).

If they're playing a 3-4 nobody needs to trim down. Edwards & Dareus are your DEs with Williams at Nose.

I think this years draft class will become a good draft for QB's down the road as almost every QB in this years draft was a developmental QB.

In regards to this year being a great draft, I'd think you might want to wait to see who besides Darius (who fell into their laps) will become a starter. You have to look at last year because not one player started on a very bad 4-12 team

Lets not forget that NGU stated that if Cam Newton was there Nix would have taken him....

Sorry If I don't get to excited about the up coming year, I'm still waiting to see that elusive baby

Really? Worse than

2007s Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Trent Edwards?

2006s Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Kellen Clements, Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, Brodie Croyle?

2002s David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey, Rohan Davey, David Garrard, Josh McCown?

Interesting. :thumbdown:

2002 was an epically bad draft class and not just for QB's. All you have to know is that David Garrard was the best QB to come out of that draft.

2006 I wouldn't say was bad but it wasn't good, Young was rookie of the year and can play if he gets his head on straight, Cutler also is a above average NFL QB who just played in the NFC title game.

2007 Just a terrible terrible draft class for QB's. Although Kolb could have a productive career.

All in all I think that sometimes next year is always a "much better year to draft a QB". Last year I thought that Luck, Mallet, and Locker would make a good class to choose a QB from. Well Luck didn't come out, Mallet was a head case, and Locker had a bad college year.

I agree that none of the QB's in this draft seemed like a good enough pick at 3 or 34 but thats also more so a product of my own personal thoughts on Fitz who I think can be a quality QB for this team.

Edited by billsfan89

I'm finding out that the only time to even start to discuss rookie performances and potential is after their first season is over, at minimum. CJ and Maybin are good examples why (and I'm not calling CJ a bust and I still hold out hope that this year will be a good one for Maybin, even though it isn't very likely). It is fun to "predict" and "project" great things for them but it isn't really based on facts or reality to do so before they even play an nfl down. I'm just hoping we have a season to judge them by.

That being said, I hope for great things from at least a couple of our picks, especially Dareus, even if it isn't this season.

P.S. I still wish we had taken a shot at Mallett or Kaepernick.

Edited by hammie65

I wish you would have "assured" us that not one of the QBs drafted this year would materialize into good ball players in your first line, so I could've realized you're fos and skipped the rest. You have no idea if any of these guys will pan out.

I'm happy with our draft. Very happy. Dareus played 3-4 DE, he doesn't have to lose weight, nor does Williams. Fitz may be our franchise qb, he may be crap. Please don't try to assure us, we don't believe that you are capable of that. Some may agree, but there isn't one person here that knows.

I agree it would have been a mistake for the Bills to have taken either Newton or Gabbert at third overall. I would like to have seen the Bills trade back into the first for Ponder. But Ponder was taken way too high for that to happen. Opportunities to acquire franchise QBs are very rare, and it appears as though this may not have been the year to have acquired one. If there is no season in 2011, it's my understanding that the Bills will have the third overall pick in the 2012 draft. That could put them into an excellent position to acquire a franchise guy. In the meantime, my first impression of the Bills' 2011 draft is a very positive one! :)

As for the Bills' defensive line, Kyle Williams is listed at a svelte 306 pounds. That's too light for an NT, and is about right for a 3-4 LDE. I'd like to see Troup and Jasper get the snaps at NT, with Williams as the starting LDE and Dareus the starting RDE.

I agree it would have been a mistake for the Bills to have taken either Newton or Gabbert at third overall. I would like to have seen the Bills trade back into the first for Ponder. But Ponder was taken way too high for that to happen. Opportunities to acquire franchise QBs are very rare, and it appears as though this may not have been the year to have acquired one. If there is no season in 2011, it's my understanding that the Bills will have the third overall pick in the 2012 draft. That could put them into an excellent position to acquire a franchise guy. In the meantime, my first impression of the Bills' 2011 draft is a very positive one! :)

As for the Bills' defensive line, Kyle Williams is listed at a svelte 306 pounds. That's too light for an NT, and is about right for a 3-4 LDE. I'd like to see Troup and Jasper get the snaps at NT, with Williams as the starting LDE and Dareus the starting RDE.

Uh, does Probowl ring any bells. Hellooooooo!

If Kyle Williams can make the Pro Bowl as an undersized NT, think of how well he could do at a position for which he was the appropriate size! :)

The counter argument (and you've probably heard it) is twofold.

First, as far as 3-4 end vs 3-4 NT, Williams is not the prototype for either position. At NT he is not a space eater… an immovable object. At DE he is not considered "long enough" with the height and long arms which scouts and coaches covet in a 3-4 end… to disengage from blocks and get the hands up in the passing lanes.

Which brings us to the second point, which is that even though Kyle Williams is a great football player, from the standpoint of conventional thinking (cue Jay Ratliff rebuttal) Williams is not a fit in a 3-4 defense at all.

In the 3-4, the D linemen are basically being asked to hold their positions and play two gaps. Williams is a classic penetrating, one-gap 4-3 tackle.

All of this said, I am hopeful/confident that Wannstache and Company will be able to devise a defense which takes advantage of Williams' talents.

Back to the debate on whether Williams will in fact be moved outside to DE: At the end of the season Gailey was asked about that and he basically said that the plan was to keep him at tackle.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I wish you would have "assured" us that not one of the QBs drafted this year would materialize into good ball players in your first line, so I could've realized you're fos and skipped the rest. You have no idea if any of these guys will pan out.

I'm happy with our draft. Very happy. Dareus played 3-4 DE, he doesn't have to lose weight, nor does Williams. Fitz may be our franchise qb, he may be crap. Please don't try to assure us, we don't believe that you are capable of that. Some may agree, but there isn't one person here that knows.

It amazes me how from year to year people complain about certain things....

- First it was....."Our defense gets pushed around too much....they are too small" now that the bills are moving towards size on the defense someone pops up with "well he just needs to lose some weight"

NOBODY on this team needs to lose weight and when folks understand more about the 3-4 they realize that bigger boy are what is needed......your DE's of years past defenses would be linebacker size on this team......your DT's on years past are DE's.....and your DT's that you need now need to be big huge space eaters.

If ANYTHING.....Kyle WIlliams is too light.....he is DE weight in this scheme....but you dont take a pro bowler and put them on the bench.

Andy Dalton will start for Cincinnati. Could have had him and he could have started at like game8 or 10 this year when the Bills are already out of it. Couple other guys too.

Where'd you buy your crystal ball?

Or are you reading tea leaves?

Excuse me for giving ZERO credence to ANYTHING you say.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Where'd you buy your crystal ball?

Or are you reading tea leaves?

Excuse me for giving ZERO credence to ANYTHING you say.

I happen to think that Dalton to Green will eventually be a hot ticket... & we could have had both. Not saying we should have taken Green (Dareus was my pick)...just stating what everybody already knows. I wouldn't have minded though if we would have picked Dalton. I think the kid just might have "it". I think the QB's in this draft will fair better than the OP thinks.