This is Fitz's Team

Not fair to compare Fitz to Kelly, but I am comparing him to Kemp, Fergy & Fluti (2, 3, & 4 Bills QB). No he does not have a great gifted natural skill - he usually plays smart. His leadership and strive mentality is the asset that drives him. Mobilty is on par with Kemp, greater than Fergy, much less than Fluti and greater then Kelly. His arm and accuracy is even with Kemp, Less than Fergy, Much Less than Kelly and about even with Fluti, though Fluti scamble and dump was better.

I give Fitz starting QB a huge thumbs up, to me he is a leader and I cheer him on....GO FITZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this point it is foolish to compare Fitz with Flutie, Ferguson etc...folks who had lot more success with the Bills. The closest comparison is Kelly Holcomb before he also melted down. Somehow the team was behind him over Losman and yet he sucked and was booted out.

I agree with the other poster...Fitz played horrible against 3-4 defenses, especially New England and the Jets...something that we always chastised Edwards about (inability to read the 3-4).

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no evidence Fitz is a long term answer at QB. He lacks a strong arm, struggles with his accuracy, and turns the ball over far too often, notably in the KC game. Not having a strong presence at OT, the lack of a threat at TE, a marginal running game, and a poor defense surely exacerbates his situation, but it's not a complete excuse for why he struggles. Buffalo hasn't had much at QB to compare him with either.

Teams have a year of tape on Gailey and Fitzpatrick. In the NFL it's not always what you do out of the box, but how you react after someone sees what you do well. It's entirely possible the offense stagnates or improves marginally in 2011.

Besides, after 3 seasons of starting the majority of his teams' games, what stands out to demonstrate he's a top-10 caliber QB? Because if you don't have one of those, you're not getting to the playoffs.

You are correct, there is no evidence Fitz is the long term answer at QB. Also, I'm not debating that Fitz is a top ten QB and he might not ever be simply because his surrounding cast on that O line is still so bad

What stands out to me is Fitz's QB play last season over Trent Edwards and Brian Brohm with the same O line and surrounding cast.

This particular team is still so far removed from the playoffs considering the division they play in, plus the fact that the team basically ignored the offense in this years draft.

I think Fitz will get somewhat better this year as he will get the majority of reps in camp, he will have both Parish and Evans at the start of the season and who knows perhaps that O line and offense might improve a little with some continuity. The entire season will be dependent on how well that offensive line can block and protect Fitz

Interesting to see PFF rate Fitz in the top 20 QB's for 2011 http://www.profootba...s-ppr-rankings/

Even LT Bell knows he needs to improve, which is a good sign http://espn.go.com/b...le-bell-on-hold

"The lockout is hurting me," Bell said. "I'm still in my learning stages. I'm still picking up the game, still getting stronger. I'm not where I want to be, and this lockout is hitting me hard. I have to find ways on my own to keep my stride, to keep learning, to keep improving."

To Alphadouche, Like I said, Tom Brady wouldn't last one game behind that Buffalo Bills O line simply because the guy is always getting injured behind one of the best O lines in the game. Payton Manning wouldn't last one game either, both those QB's don't play well when they are running for their lives every down like Fitz does, even playing behind their own proven better O lines. Stating that, both those teams drafted early for the O line because their teams realize that unless they have a wall of great blockers they won't win the SB. Something that obviously escapes the Bills coaches-GM

What I didn't say is that Fitz is the better QB behind a good or even half-way decent O line. Both Brady and Manning are two sure fire HoF QB's who both have good to great O lines, great receiving corps and play in a great offensive schemes with great coaches! BTW, good to know I can slot you in right next to "paintmyhouse"

You cant be serious with this stuff. You just said you would want Fitz over Brady because Fitz is more mobile and won't get killed behind the O line. Then you keep referencing Tom Brady getting hurt yet you don't have a clue about what you are talking about. Brady has started all 16 games every year for the last 9 years with the one exception of when he tore his ACL in the first game in 2008. So, please explain how Brady is "always getting injured" when outside of one fluke play where a guy fell into his knee at an awkward angle he hasn't missed a game due to injury in the other 8 seasons.

Adding to the absurd, is your embarrassing flawed belief that Fitz is better at avoiding the rush than Brady. People who have forgotten more about football than you will ever understand about football, all consider him one of the most, if not the most, mobile pocket QB in the NFL and elite at avoiding the rush and buying time in the pocket. Same with Manning.

This "great" O line without Brady gave up the most sacks in the NFL in 2008. Cassel was sacked 47 times, most in the NFL. Now lets look at Brady behind the NE O Line in the surrounding seasons:

2007: Brady sacked 21 times

2009: Brady sacked 16 times

2010: Brady sacked 25 times (and they were without their best Pro Bowl OL)

That is a substantial difference...It's not Brady's O line, it's Brady's mobility in the pocket to avoid the rush and buy himself time to deliver the ball. He is superior to Fitz, and just about most QB's in the NFL at this. So you just make it even harder to take anything you say seriously with claims like this. Then to top it off, you claim him injury prone when he had the one injury in the last 9 seasons. If you want Fitz over Brady because you hate Brady, then fine, but don't act like it's because Fitz will perform better than Brady here.

Just as stupid is your comment about Manning not lasting a game here...I mean, give it a rest man. You act like Fitz is Superman and only he could survive our O Line and these 2 QB's who are the best of this generation would fail and get hurt. Not to mention that Brady and Manning are two of the most durable QB's in the game.

Edited by Alphadawg7

People like me who believe he's still on the rise as a player, and still has franchise potential, have provided their evidence hundreds of times by now.

You disagree, we get it. Just don't expect us to waste our time trying to convince you.

He's had 3 seasons of taking the majority of his teams' snaps. And during that time I haven't seen anything to indicate he's a long term guy. Some of those games he had last season were just plain awful. In 4 out of 13 starts he threw for less than 160 yards. In 5 of those games he completed less than 52% of his passes. That's not the type of consistency I'm looking for from a franchise caliber QB.

The guy's a great story and an outstanding teammate. But that's not enough to win games in an ultra-competitive league where QB play more often than not is the difference between winning and losing.

You cant be serious with this stuff. You just said you would want Fitz over Brady because Fitz is more mobile and won't get killed behind the O line. Then you keep referencing Tom Brady getting hurt yet you don't have a clue about what you are talking about. Brady has started all 16 games every year for the last 9 years with the one exception of when he tore his ACL in the first game in 2008. So, please explain how Brady is "always getting injured" when outside of one fluke play where a guy fell into his knee at an awkward angle he hasn't missed a game due to injury in the other 8 seasons.

Adding to the absurd, is your embarrassing flawed belief that Fitz is better at avoiding the rush than Brady. People who have forgotten more about football than you will ever understand about football, all consider him one of the most, if not the most, mobile pocket QB in the NFL and elite at avoiding the rush and buying time in the pocket. Same with Manning.

This "great" O line without Brady gave up the most sacks in the NFL in 2008. Cassel was sacked 47 times, most in the NFL. Now lets look at Brady behind the NE O Line in the surrounding seasons:

2007: Brady sacked 21 times

2009: Brady sacked 16 times

2010: Brady sacked 25 times (and they were without their best Pro Bowl OL)

That is a substantial difference...It's not Brady's O line, it's Brady's mobility in the pocket to avoid the rush and buy himself time to deliver the ball. He is superior to Fitz, and just about most QB's in the NFL at this. So you just make it even harder to take anything you say seriously with claims like this. Then to top it off, you claim him injury prone when he had the one injury in the last 9 seasons. If you want Fitz over Brady because you hate Brady, then fine, but don't act like it's because Fitz will perform better than Brady here.

Just as stupid is your comment about Manning not lasting a game here...I mean, give it a rest man. You act like Fitz is Superman and only he could survive our O Line and these 2 QB's who are the best of this generation would fail and get hurt. Not to mention that Brady and Manning are two of the most durable QB's in the game.

Yea sure, keep telling yourself that Tom Brady is an elite mobile QB....Tom Brady run a 5.23 40 yd dash at his combine workout bright boy and is about a supreme a pocket passer as they come. He will never ever be known as a mobile QB, except of course in your delusions.

and keep comparing back up QB Matt Cassell, a guy who didn't start one single game in college and hadn't started a game as QB since high school to Tom Brady a SB winning QB, the guy was just learning how to play QB in the NFL after Brady was injured AND he still almost took that team to the playoffs with an 11-5 record. That in itself shows that Belichick could plug in an unknown scrub back up QB into the lineup and the team still wins.

How nice, you listed the amount of sacks allowed by that dominate NE O line for me, all that shows is that the Patriots have one of the very best O lines in the NFL and allow the fewest sacks in the NFL. Not to mention that the Patriots have an elite receiving corps, elite coaches and a great offensive scheme.

You don't see Brady on injury reports from the Patriots because Bill Belichick likes to screw with the media in that regard. Brady lost an entire season in 08 due to a serious knee injury, he hurt his shoulder and hand in 09 and in 2010 last year he had a foot injury that required off season surgery....so much for that one fluke injury.

For someone who is so positive they know what they are talking about, you sure don't have a single clue.

Yea sure, keep telling yourself that Tom Brady is an elite mobile QB....Tom Brady run a 5.23 40 yd dash at his combine workout bright boy and is about a supreme a pocket passer as they come. He will never ever be known as a mobile QB, except of course in your delusions.

and keep comparing back up QB Matt Cassell, a guy who didn't start one single game in college and hadn't started a game as QB since high school to Tom Brady a SB winning QB, the guy was just learning how to play QB in the NFL after Brady was injured AND he still almost took that team to the playoffs with an 11-5 record. That in itself shows that Belichick could plug in an unknown scrub back up QB into the lineup and the team still wins.

How nice, you listed the amount of sacks allowed by that dominate NE O line for me, all that shows is that the Patriots have one of the very best O lines in the NFL and allow the fewest sacks in the NFL. Not to mention that the Patriots have an elite receiving corps, elite coaches and a great offensive scheme.

You don't see Brady on injury reports from the Patriots because Bill Belichick likes to screw with the media in that regard. Brady lost an entire season in 08 due to a serious knee injury, he hurt his shoulder and hand in 09 and in 2010 last year he had a foot injury that required off season surgery....so much for that one fluke injury.

For someone who is so positive they know what they are talking about, you sure don't have a single clue.

I would just stop bro, you are getting foolish. You just 100% proved your football intellect comes from Madden on your Xbox when you brought up 40 yard dash times in relation to QB mobility. It has almost nothing to do with pocket mobility unless you are playing madden and taking 20 yard drop backs on your Xbox. No point in carrying on a discussion when you clearly don't understand football outside of a players speed rating on your video game. And the sacks the O line gave up with Cassel were more than double what they give up with Brady, so his mobility even shows up in the stat lines.

And again, how many games has Brady missed in the other 8 years outside of his ACL? Oh yeah, zero.

If you want Fitz over Brady because you love Fitz and hate Brady, then fine. But trying to validate it as if the Bills are a better team with Fitz over Brady or Manning because he can win a straight line foot race is as comical as it gets. The levels of ridiculousness in that are not worth discussing with you anymore, especially when you don't even understand the difference of a mobile QB and scrambling QB. If you did, you would know both Brady and Manning are considered amongst the best in pocket mobility, you know that place QB's play.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I would just stop bro, you are getting foolish. You just 100% proved your football intellect comes from Madden on your Xbox when you brought up 40 yard dash times in relation to QB mobility. It has almost nothing to do with pocket mobility unless you are playing madden and taking 20 yard drop backs on your Xbox. No point in carrying on a discussion when you clearly don't understand football outside of a players speed rating on your video game. And the sacks the O line gave up with Cassel were more than double what they give up with Brady, so his mobility even shows up in the stat lines.

And again, how many games has Brady missed in the other 8 years outside of his ACL? Oh yeah, zero.

If you want Fitz over Brady because you love Fitz and hate Brady, then fine. But trying to validate it as if the Bills are a better team with Fitz over Brady or Manning because he can win a straight line foot race is as comical as it gets. The levels of ridiculousness in that are not worth discussing with you anymore, especially when you don't even understand the difference of a mobile QB and scrambling QB. If you did, you would know both Brady and Manning are considered amongst the best in pocket mobility, you know that place QB's play.

First off I don't own an X box, but you must considering you know so much about them.

The discussion was not about how many games missed due to injury, it was about how many injuries, and Brady has suffered many injuries over the years and waits until the off season for surgery unless he is forced to like in 08, nice try at deflecting

Exactly how many rushing yards did Tom Brady have last year vs Fitz, and that has everything to do with his 40 time and mobility.

Fitz had 40 rushing attempts for 269 yards a 6.7 yd/avg, Tom Brady had 31 attempts for 30 yards, that's right a 1.0 yd/avg --Fitz got those rushing yards because he was forced out of the pocket and HAD to run for his life!

Again, for someone who is so positive they know what they are talking about, you sure don't have a single clue!

Is Tom Brady a better QB then Fitz, heck yeah! Would I rather have Tom Brady as my starting QB, heck yea.... If i also had the Patriots O line.

You do realize the defense being a sieve has a lot to do with the inept offense the Bills have not getting first downs and not scoring early and turning the ball over? Come on. Look back at a few games. Jets game one, Bills offense had 3 and out 4 of the first 6 drives, and got a first down on first down and then went 3 and out on the other. Then they turned the ball over early in the second half and the route was on. Bills were 0-10 on 3rd down offense. Yep, defensive sieve, but any team would have been, this was a game at the half. Bills defense and ST gave the Bills an early lead against the Jags but the D wore down against a good running team, that would have been forced to pass had the Bills not kicked 2 short FGs (29 and 22) when the offense was give better than great field position and did nothing at all with the ball. Bills were 3/11 on 3rd down, offense did nothing to help the defense all game long. Bills were killed on TOP by 10 minutes. Fitz was outplayed by Garrard. This was not all on the defense. 2nd half offense was highlighted by 3 straight 3 and outs and then punts when all the defense needed was a few first downs to get some rest against the physical Jags team.

You have no clue. A bad defense isn't always just a bad defense, the crap offense sure helps it. I would be willing to bet the Bills were in the top 3 in most 3 and outs. I would bet a lot.

In case you've forgotten, the Jets had one of the league's best defenses last season. They caused problems for a lot of teams. Nobody said the Bills had a great (or even good) offense last year. The problems were numerous. Despite your arrogant assertions to the contrary, however, Fitz was a bright spot, not a detriment.

Carry on, troll.

He's had 3 seasons of taking the majority of his teams' snaps. And during that time I haven't seen anything to indicate he's a long term guy. Some of those games he had last season were just plain awful. In 4 out of 13 starts he threw for less than 160 yards. In 5 of those games he completed less than 52% of his passes. That's not the type of consistency I'm looking for from a franchise caliber QB.

The guy's a great story and an outstanding teammate. But that's not enough to win games in an ultra-competitive league where QB play more often than not is the difference between winning and losing.

One thing you Fitzpatrick bashers are good at and that's lying about his stats. You lied three times there buddy. That's a hard thing to do considering it was such a short post.

It's pretty pathetic when you have to lie to bash a stand up guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Edited by 1billsfan

One thing you Fitzpatrick bashers are good at and that's lying about his stats. You lied three times there buddy. That's a hard thing to do considering it was such a short post.

It's pretty pathetic when you have to lie to bash a stand up guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick.

you know its telling you didnt "refudiate" him with any sort of evidence.

1) In 4 out of 13 starts he threw for less than 160 yards - yup he did

2) In 5 of those games he completed less than 52% of his passes - yup he did

3) He's had 3 seasons of taking the majority of his teams' snaps - yup he did- in 08 he played in all but 3 games for CIN.

I would check your stuff before you come across like another poster who has a baseless opinion. All the stats he cited were accurate and not misrepresented.

Just because it doesn't fit your narrative doesn't mean its incorrect.

3) He's had 3 seasons of taking the majority of his teams' snaps - yup he did- in 08 he played in all but 3 games for CIN.

I would check your stuff before you come across like another poster who has a baseless opinion. All the stats he cited were accurate and not misrepresented.

He hasn't ever played for an NFL franchise that has to potential to finish at least .500. He never will be a franchise quarterback, but is is a solid player.

Carson Palmer is a franchise QB, and he had real football players to throw to.

In 2008 Fitz played 13 games for the bengals, with virtually the same players.

In 2009 Palmer had a solid year, much better than FItz the year before, with the same players.

I was wrong and I apologize to BillsVet. It was early in the morning, I got pissed and ended up going off on what I thought I saw on profootballreference. Go ahead give it to me, I deserve it.

For every stat that the bashers provide, there are equally positive stats that show a markedly improved QB in 2010 than Fitzpatrick's previous years as a starter. It's not quite Drew Brees like, but the swing in improvement was certainly there. Add to the fact that the dirty little secret in Bills land (is and that NO ONE here talks about) was the complete lack of a running game and the worst defense in the league that never shortened the field for our boy.

We'll see who's right in 2011 because this is the very definition of a "make or break" season for Fitzpatrick. There will be no gray area. He either gets our team close to or in the playoffs and looking great doing it on a consistent basis, or the Bills are picking a QB in the first round next year.

Carson Palmer turned the 4 win 2008 bengals under Fitz into 10-6 bengals.

2008? Really? This is getting ridiculous. Nobody's disputing that Fitzpatrick was a bad QB in 2008. He was a 7th round pick that obviously had a long learning curve ahead of him.

I was wrong and I apologize to BillsVet. It was early in the morning, I got pissed and ended up going off on what I thought I saw on profootballreference. Go ahead give it to me, I deserve it.

For every stat that the bashers provide, there are equally positive stats that show a markedly improved QB in 2010 than Fitzpatrick's previous years as a starter. It's not quite Drew Brees like, but the swing in improvement was certainly there. Add to the fact that the dirty little secret in Bills land (is and that NO ONE here talks about) was the complete lack of a running game and the worst defense in the league that never shortened the field for our boy.

We'll see who's right in 2011 because this is the very definition of a "make or break" season for Fitzpatrick. There will be no gray area. He either gets our team close to or in the playoffs and looking great doing it on a consistent basis, or the Bills are picking a QB in the first round next year.

2008? Really? This is getting ridiculous. Nobody's disputing that Fitzpatrick was a bad QB in 2008. He was a 7th round pick that obviously had a long learning curve ahead of him.

Very much so. I dont think his stats have just as many good parts, but he did show a lot of improvement last season. This year will be a big test for him. He will be unchallenged in training camp and should be ready to go. Although the defense was bad last year, part of that was getting worn down in the latter parts of games due to the O's inability to stay on the field.

@Harvery Lives crappy post, what in the world is Evans even talking about? We would have been better earlier? Nice excuses Lee. Edwards only played 2 games and there is no way it can be assumed Fitz would have done been better than Edwards did. They played Miami in game 1 and had 10 points. Bills had a chance to win on the last drive. When Fitz played they scored 17 points.

Game 2 they had Green Bay, and early on it was a game, until the Bills WRs played like absolute crap. The Bills coaching staff gave up in the 3rd quarter too. They ran the ball too much too. The defense played very well in the first half, Bills were only down 13-7, but the Bills did not get much done against the #1 ranked defense and Super Bowl champs, are you surprised? Game got out of hand when Steve Johnson let Chillar take the ball right out of his hands and it counted as an interception. Later Roscoe Parrish let Burnett take the ball right out his hands when he clearly had the ball and that counted as an interception. I am no Edwards apologist, I am telling you it is silly to believe Fitz is any good at all and would have done any better.

As far as better early, Fitz did play better early, then he sucked awfully, worse than Edwards and Losman ever looked in the last 5 games. Part of it if Gailey's fault, he is not a good play caller, never keeps with the running game (even when it is established), part is Fitz is really just a backup QB thrust into the starter role and he just is not capable of the job.

Very much so. I dont think his stats have just as many good parts, but he did show a lot of improvement last season. This year will be a big test for him. He will be unchallenged in training camp and should be ready to go. Although the defense was bad last year, part of that was getting worn down in the latter parts of games due to the O's inability to stay on the field.

Well it's good to have a consensus on something! I'm coming to the point where this debate of Fitzpatrick is pointless. He's only signed for this year. There's really no worries one way or the other. Either he hits one out of the park by leading our team to a winning season and maybe playoffs, or he's gone and we draft a first round QB next year. Even the Fitzpatrick supporters aren't going to want to give him a second chance being that he's 28 years old. This is it. At least there's not the "which QB should start" debate that we've had this last decade.

I said it before and I'll say it again, that first game against KC will be a big one for Fitzpatrick. He needs to start winning and beating an average like KC is key to getting his season and his team off on the right foot.

I am telling you it is silly to believe Fitz is any good at all and would have done any better.

As far as better early, Fitz did play better early, then he sucked awfully, worse than Edwards and Losman ever looked in the last 5 games. Part of it if Gailey's fault, he is not a good play caller, never keeps with the running game (even when it is established), part is Fitz is really just a backup QB thrust into the starter role and he just is not capable of the job.

You are absolutely a troll. Fitz improved his QB rating by nearly 12 pts from 2008-09 to 2010. He got better in nearly every category. Until his last game against NE*, when he was playing with 1/2 an offense, he was nearly 2-to-1 TD-to-INT.

As for your "worse than Edwards and Losman ever looked" ridiculousness -- well, both Edwards and Losman have had only ONE season each in which they had a higher QB rating than Fitz in 2010. Edwards in 2008 was 85.4 in 14 games (11/10 TD/INT), Losman in 2006 was 84.9 (19/14 TD/INT). It's arguable Fitz' season last year (81.8, 23/15) was superior to both of those years.

In any event, it's a waste of my time to discuss this with you. But I think you've clearly shown your arse.

Edited by eball

First off I don't own an X box, but you must considering you know so much about them.

The discussion was not about how many games missed due to injury, it was about how many injuries, and Brady has suffered many injuries over the years and waits until the off season for surgery unless he is forced to like in 08, nice try at deflecting

Exactly how many rushing yards did Tom Brady have last year vs Fitz, and that has everything to do with his 40 time and mobility.

Fitz had 40 rushing attempts for 269 yards a 6.7 yd/avg, Tom Brady had 31 attempts for 30 yards, that's right a 1.0 yd/avg --Fitz got those rushing yards because he was forced out of the pocket and HAD to run for his life!

Again, for someone who is so positive they know what they are talking about, you sure don't have a single clue!

Is Tom Brady a better QB then Fitz, heck yeah! Would I rather have Tom Brady as my starting QB, heck yea.... If i also had the Patriots O line.

Oh boy, it just keeps going. Again, what does rushing yards have to do with pocket mobility? I am going to do you a favor and explain to you the difference between pocket mobility and scrambling so you can move on.

Pocket mobility is not rushing for a first down. It's not scrambling down field and garnering rushing yards. It is the ability to identify where the pressure is coming from and avoid that pressure by maneuvering within the pocket (you know that area behind the O Line where a QB plays football the majority of snaps) using footwork, pocket presence, field vision, speed of his release, etc to buy himself time to still execute the play or roll out away from the pressure to make the pass. It is also a critical attribute for a QB to have in order to create time for his receivers to run their routes and get open. It has almost nothing to do with 40 yard dash speeds, even on roll outs as they are most often not running at full speed as they are looking down field to make a throw and looking to set their feet.

Scrambling QB's is obviously a QB who is looking to advance the ball through running if he feels pressure from the D and will be more dependent on his speed to make that possible.

Brady is amongst the best in the league at this, even guys like Ron Jaworski have done ESPN pieces on Brady about this. In fact, here is a quote from Ron: “I’ve always said that Tom is one of the most mobile quarterbacks in the game. I’m not talking about run-around quarterbacks, I’m talking about how I believe you have to play the position. He’s always been really good at that moving in the pocket, those subtle little moves to the left or right or up in the pocket that compress and allow some time for receivers to uncover."

Based on your previous posts, I am sure none of this will sink in and you will post some other gibberish running stat again to try and disprove what you don't understand. Bottom line is to believe Fitz to be a better option than Brady or Manning because he rushed for a whopping 269 yards is a bit silly.