This is Fitz's Team

If you're not a troll, you're a douche. I'm not suggesting Fitz is going to light the league on fire, but what gets under my skin is "experts" like yourself who "know" he will not be successful. You spout off as if you hold all the answers, when you're no more insightful than anyone else. Sorry, I'm not willing to give a guy who just joined the board two days ago the benefit of the doubt.

I couldn't take him seriously, so I didn't even bother...LOL

Fitzpatrick flipped the switch at the end of the 2009 season, continued his consistency in 2010 and will have a better than good chance to become the Bills franchise player after a stellar 2011. He'll have to beat teams like the Patriots and Jets to do that though, but I believe that he's got the goods. I normally don't place a whole lot into one game, but that first game against the Chiefs is a big one for Fitzpatrick. If he doesn't either lead the Bills to a win or at least have a very good day (if it's a loss), then that would not be a good sign. At 28, there's no more time to lose. He knows that 2011 is make or break for his career with the Bills. So realizing this, you've got to beat the average teams whether it's on the road or not.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering how bad that Buffalo Offensive line is I'd rather have Fitz as my QB then any other AFC East QB, including Tom Brady.

No offense, but this is about the stupidest thing I have ever seen on this board this off season. Man, the levels of ridiculousness that some people go to with Fitz is astonishing. Shouldn't be surprised, many people said the same stupid things about Trent.

I mean you would take Fitz over a HOF QB in Brady? And because you think Fitz is more mobile? There is not a single GM, coach, scout, owner, analyst, etc on earth that would take Fitz over Brady, who is one of the best QB's in the NFL and one of the best of this generation.

First off, the people who know football all consider Brady to be one of the most mobile, if not the most mobile, pocket QB in the NFL. Several pieces have been done on this very thing about Brady, including a whole thing by Jaws. Casual fans and Madden players see guys like Vick and think that is what QB mobility is...that is not mobility, that is scrambling.

Brady is amongst the best in the league at foot work in the pocket and buying himself time in the face of a rush by his ability to move within the pocket to complete the play. He is substantially better at this than Fitz. You foolishly think because Fitz can scramble that he is somehow a mobile QB...the problem is, rushing the ball is not the primary duty of the QB, passing the ball is. And Brady is amongst the best in the league, some would argue the best in the league, at his footwork and ability to move around the pocket or roll out of the pocket when necessary to deliver a pass.

Want further proof...look at how often Cassel was sacked as the starter behind the same OL versus how often Brady was. Brady makes that OL look Elite, Cassel made it look bad. And not only does Brady buy himself time, he delivers the ball quickly and accurately.

With posts like this, you make it very difficult to take anything you say seriously. I mean this is the NFL, not Madden on Xbox.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I do know better. I have proved it. I showed what happened in comparable games, and also showed statistics of comparable QBs and it is painfully obvious how inadequate Fitz is. I have not even had to call anyone a troll or a douche either, since that clearly would have put me over and made me look much more intelligent if I had.

Manning had no WRs either and no OLINE either and no running game too. Colts defense let up 2 less points a game and 20 yards less a game. He got it done. Kyle Orton is easily the best comparison though. No WRs, no running game, and he put up better stats then Fitz did and got benched and likely replaced.

Even better is Jacksonville. They let the same amount of points as the Bills, and let up more yards on defense than the Bills, but Garrard got it done and they were playing in what was basically a playoff game in week 16. Yet, THEY DRAFTED A QB IN ROUND 1 TO REPLACE HIM!!!

Fitz is no leader. He has less 4th quarter comeback wins and game winning drives than JP Losman and Trent Edwards and Fitz has more career starts.

@John, I see you point out Fitz had to play against better blitzing teams at the end like Minnesota, Miami, and New England. Well, Edwards played against Miami and Green Bay and was cut for the same poor play Fitz displayed after it being determined for the 2nd season in a row by 2 coaching staffs that Edwards was better in training camp than Fitz was. It is no shocker that Fitz stinks.

Hate the Jets. Hate the Phins. Hate the Patriots. Hate that Fitz is the QB because the Bills that I love have no chance to compete with that guy playing QB.

There are three kinds of lies my friend:

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

LEARN IT.

For what it's worth Pat Kirwan has ranked 35 current NFL QBs on NFL.com and he has Fitz at 18. That's mediocre for sure but it also lends credence to the argument that Fitz is a viable starter and can improve. I for one don't understand the certainty of some when they predict his failure this year. I don't think he'll developed into Peyton Manning but I could see him being Eli with a better supporting cast. Sorry I would have just linked to it if I only knew how. See below:

Group A (1-5)

1. Tom Brady, Patriots: Three Super Bowl rings and four appearances in the big game to go along with the most touchdown passes in 2010 (36).

2. Drew Brees, Saints: Tied for second in TD passes (33) and one of the great leaders in the NFL.

3. Peyton Manning, Colts: Tied for second in TD passes (33) and the guy who will probably break Brett Favre's passing records.

4. Philip Rivers, Chargers: Led the league in passing yards with 138 fewer throws than the next closest QB in passing yards.

5. Aaron Rodgers, Packers: The Super Bowl MVP and someone who made Packers fans forget Favre.

Manning overlooked by peers

Eli Manning has a Super Bowl MVP, a lifetime 64-46 record, has never missed a start. Those are just some of the reasons he should have made t the top 100, says Pat Kirwan. More ...

» Does Romo deserve spot in top 100?

» Can Vick repeat 2010 performance?

Group B (6-10)

1. Eli Manning, Giants: Underrated with 4,000-plus passing yards and fourth in touchdown passes (31).

2. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers: A two-time Super Bowl champion and three appearances on Super Sunday during his seven-year career. The essence of a winner.

3. Tony Romo, Cowboys: He has to stay healthy this year and improve on his 1-3 postseason record or he will fall from this group.

4. Matt Ryan, Falcons: A rising star with 66 touchdown passes and just 34 interceptions in his first three years.

5. Michael Vick, Eagles: Turned his life around, and not only recaptured his career but has improved as a quarterback.

Group C (11-15)

1. Sam Bradford, Rams: He averaged 39 pass plays a game as a rookie, completed 60 percent of his passes and threw more touchdowns (18) than interceptions (15) without a top wide receiver.

Freeman or Flacco?

The debate between picking Josh Freeman or Joe Flacco comes down to weighing potential against results. Elliot Harrison examines the case for both young quarterbacks. More ...

» Young QBs crack top 100

2. Joe Flacco, Ravens: All he's done is lead his team to the playoffs in his first three seasons. He has 60 touchdown passes and just 34 interceptions to go along with a 4-3 postseason mark.

3. Josh Freeman, Buccaneers: A rising star who reminds me of a young Warren Moon. Cool under pressure with a big arm. He led his team to 10 wins in his first full season as a starter.

4. Carson Palmer, Bengals: He might retire, but he still threw for 3,970 yards and 26 touchdowns in 2010. If the Bengals ever change their mind about trading him, we will all see what the rest of the league thinks of his ability.

5. Matt Schaub, Texans: Probably belongs in Group B but winning has to be part of the equation to move up. He threw for 4,370 yards and 24 touchdowns last season.

Group D (16-20)

1. Matt Cassel, Chiefs: The trade for Cassel proved to be a great move by the Chiefs. Very efficient quarterback in 2010 with 27 touchdowns and just seven picks. He gets a new receiving weapon in Jonathan Baldwin this season and is probably headed to Group B or C next year.

2. Jay Cutler, Bears: He takes too much criticism for his "body language." The accusations after his knee injury in the NFC title game are just an example of his bad image. Another year under offensive coordinator Mike Martz and he's headed up from Group D.

3. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bills: The Bills know what they have in Fitzpatrick and passed on adding a quarterback in the draft. Get him some more protection and targets, and he will improve on his stellar 2010 production.

4. Kyle Orton, Broncos: Played in 13 games and still threw for 3,653 yards. He might get traded when the lockout is over since a number of teams will want a QB with a 32-29 career record and 12,000-plus passing yards.

5. Mark Sanchez, Jets: Impressive start to career with a 23-14 record, including the playoffs, but needs to improve on his passing with only 29 touchdowns in 33 regular-season games.

Group E (21-25)

1. David Garrard, Jaguars: While he will probably be replaced sooner or later, he will not go down without a fight. He has a winning record in the NFL and has thrown 35 more touchdowns than interceptions.

2. Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks: He had seven touchdowns to one interception in the playoffs and still has some tread left on the tires. He's a free agent and hopefully he stays in Seattle. His 11 postseason games, including a trip to the Super Bowl, is the kind of experience a team will need if the lockout goes deep into the summer.

3. Chad Henne, Dolphins: He is another quarterback in a long line trying to erase the memory of Dan Marino. This could be his last chance to keep a starting job and 27 touchdown passes in 27 starts isn't going to cut it.

4. Donovan McNabb, Redskins: His best years are behind him and the 2010 stop in Washington was a bad experience. He can still play, but needs another change of scenery.

5. Matthew Stafford, Lions: He has to stay healthy to move up a few groups. He looks like he's stronger and healthy, which means he could ascend next season.

Group F (26-30)

1. Jason Campbell, Raiders: He threw 13 touchdowns in 13 games last year and really needs a big season to step out of the obscurity he seems to be floating along in his five-year career. Let's see if a new coach, Hue Jackson, takes him to the next level.

2. Jon Kitna, Cowboys: Even though he might be a backup, did you notice how well he played last year when he had to start for Romo? Kitna's going back to the bench in Dallas, but he has a better chance of winning games in 2011 than a number of starters.

3. Kevin Kolb, Eagles: He'll be a hot item if we ever get to where trades can happen. The West Coast coaches believe he's the next Hasselbeck or Schaub. A backup with limited experience who can come in and be the face of the organization.

4. Colt McCoy, Browns: The West Coast system is perfect for McCoy. Between Pat Shurmur and Mike Holmgren, McCoy should be productive this year.

5. Vince Young, Titans: He is 30-17 as a starter and has to find a new place to play in 2011. If he cleans up his reputation as a worker, he still has a bright future.

Harbaugh sees something in Smith

Alex Smith has been a disappointment since entering the league as the No. 1 overall pick in 2005. Bucky Brooks examines what new 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh sees in Smith. More ...

Group G (31-35)

1. Andy Dalton, Bengals: With Palmer probably retired or gone, Dalton will get a chance to play, and with A.J. Green at the end of his passes to go with a solid running game, he should have a promising rookie season.

2. Shaun Hill, Lions: Another backup who played better than some starters around the league a year ago. He led the Lions to two late wins.

3. Cam Newton, Panthers: If he doesn't get into camp soon and get some coaching, he will not have a chance to win as a rookie. He has the talent, but it will be a tough year with a weak supporting cast.

4. Tim Tebow, Broncos: He didn't play poorly when he got his chance last year. As one general manger said, "I should have known he would do a decent job on the field the way he competes." This is a deciding season for his future in Denver.

5. Alex Smith, 49ers: He was starting to come around when Norv Turner was his offensive coordinator back in 2006 and I'm hoping Jim Harbaugh can do the same thing for Smith now. His 19-31 record with more interceptions (53) than touchdowns (51) is a heavy burden to carry around.

Alphadawg, I would rather have Fitz than Brady too.

Why? Because I don't want no stinkin' Brady.

Do I think Fitz is a better QB? Nope. I would just get much better satisfaction seeing the Bills beat Brady and the Patriots than I would by having Brady as a Bill. If that is something you can't understand, you don't know much about being a competitor. I also happen to like Fitz more than Mr. GQ, Tom Brady.

Seriously, you fly off the handle over the silliest things.

Alphadawg, I would rather have Fitz than Brady too.

Why? Because I don't want no stinkin' Brady.

Do I think Fitz is a better QB? Nope. I would just get much better satisfaction seeing the Bills beat Brady and the Patriots than I would by having Brady as a Bill. If that is something you can't understand, you don't know much about being a competitor. I also happen to like Fitz more than Mr. GQ, Tom Brady.

Seriously, you fly off the handle over the silliest things.

You do remember what it was like when the Bills were actually winning, right? Jim Kelly was the QB. HOF. Tom Brady, HOF. I actually like winning. Brady wins. Fitz has not proven any ability to do that.

BTW, at Kirwin's article, he obviously just looked at stats and failed to realize what really happened, Fitz got worse. Bad article.

Besides, the title of this thread is "this is Fitz's team". If it is the Bills are in deep doodoo for a long time then. This better be Dave Wannstandt's team.

Edited by paintmyhouse

You do remember what it was like when the Bills were actually winning, right? Jim Kelly was the QB. HOF. Tom Brady, HOF. I actually like winning. Brady wins. Fitz has not proven any ability to do that.

BTW, at Kirwin's article, he obviously just looked at stats and failed to realize what really happened, Fitz got worse. Bad article.

Besides, the title of this thread is "this is Fitz's team". If it is the Bills are in deep doodoo for a long time then. This better be Dave Wannstandt's team.

So what you are saying is if you can't beat him, join him. No thanks. I want to see the Bills beat him. There simply is no middle ground here. Either beat him, or go down trying. There is satisfaction in that. Putting him in a Bills uniform is like conceding defeat and that is just not acceptable. Sorry, Brady can kiss my rosey red a**.

There's no evidence Fitz is a long term answer at QB. He lacks a strong arm, struggles with his accuracy, and turns the ball over far too often, notably in the KC game. Not having a strong presence at OT, the lack of a threat at TE, a marginal running game, and a poor defense surely exacerbates his situation, but it's not a complete excuse for why he struggles. Buffalo hasn't had much at QB to compare him with either.

Teams have a year of tape on Gailey and Fitzpatrick. In the NFL it's not always what you do out of the box, but how you react after someone sees what you do well. It's entirely possible the offense stagnates or improves marginally in 2011.

Besides, after 3 seasons of starting the majority of his teams' games, what stands out to demonstrate he's a top-10 caliber QB? Because if you don't have one of those, you're not getting to the playoffs.

Yes, because Kelly was the reason we won.

God forbid the back up would have had to play- with that group of scrubs, we'd never have won.....oh wait.

There's no evidence Fitz is a long term answer at QB. He lacks a strong arm, struggles with his accuracy, and turns the ball over far too often, notably in the KC game. Not having a strong presence at OT, the lack of a threat at TE, a marginal running game, and a poor defense surely exacerbates his situation, but it's not a complete excuse for why he struggles. Buffalo hasn't had much at QB to compare him with either.

Teams have a year of tape on Gailey and Fitzpatrick. In the NFL it's not always what you do out of the box, but how you react after someone sees what you do well. It's entirely possible the offense stagnates or improves marginally in 2011.

Besides, after 3 seasons of starting the majority of his teams' games, what stands out to demonstrate he's a top-10 caliber QB? Because if you don't have one of those, you're not getting to the playoffs.

Well, we've got at least 1 more year of Fitz as the starter. No argument with any of your points, but I do expect Fitz to get better, I just don't think he has that much headroom for improvement. Since we didn't draft a QB, N&G will bring in a FAQB who most likely wouldn't be starting on any other NFL team, either.

So we hope Fitz exceeds expectations and the D picks up a LOT of slack. Or we pray for Luck.

People like me who believe he's still on the rise as a player, and still has franchise potential, have provided their evidence hundreds of times by now.

You disagree, we get it. Just don't expect us to waste our time trying to convince you.

I don't really disagree with most of your points other than Fitz not having a strong arm (I think his arm is underrated). But here's something to consider as well. Having a poor -- no, make that abysmal -- defense is another factor in the "turns the ball over far too often" analysis. Fitz admits to having a gunslinger mentality; combine that with the knowledge that your defense is a sieve, and you're going to take more chances with the football.

Regardless, I'm very excited to see what happens this season; I put it at about 50-50 that Fitz breaks the "top 15" barrier for NFL starting QBs.

Tell that to the 2010 Seahawks, or the 2009 Jets, or the 2008 Titans, or the 2007 Jaguars, or the 2006 Bears, or the 2005 Redskins, or the 2004 Steelers, or the 2003 Panthers, or the 2002 Browns, or the...oh forget it.

Why do I even bother?

Edited by The Big Cat

Tell that to the 2010 Seahawks, or the 2009 Jets, or the 2008 Titans, or the 2007 Jaguars, or the 2006 Bears, or the 2005 Redskins, or the 2004 Steelers, or the 2003 Panthers, or the 2002 Browns, or the...oh forget it.

Why do I even bother?

Not to mention that a few years ago, Cleveland and New England reached double digit wins with Derek Anderson and Matt Cassel

This team responded by only scoring over 19 points just 4 times. Hilarious. THey also responded by scoring 12 points a game his last 5 starts. He got a lot worse as the season went on, or maybe his team just responded less then? Either way he really showed he was a bad QB is what he did.

Maybe not so much how the Bills responded, but that opposing D Cords learned his tendencies? And thus were able to game plan. I am not sure. But your stats do say something. An di know you can make stats say anything. but think about it. Its why a young pitcher looks good the first time thru the batting order.

Why do I even bother?

I know. I keep hearing these youngsters talking about "this is a new era", "a passing league". Blah, blah blah. You'd think there wasn't anyone else on a football team other than QBs and WRs these days.

I don't really disagree with most of your points other than Fitz not having a strong arm (I think his arm is underrated). But here's something to consider as well. Having a poor -- no, make that abysmal -- defense is another factor in the "turns the ball over far too often" analysis. Fitz admits to having a gunslinger mentality; combine that with the knowledge that your defense is a sieve, and you're going to take more chances with the football.

Regardless, I'm very excited to see what happens this season; I put it at about 50-50 that Fitz breaks the "top 15" barrier for NFL starting QBs.

You do realize the defense being a sieve has a lot to do with the inept offense the Bills have not getting first downs and not scoring early and turning the ball over? Come on. Look back at a few games. Jets game one, Bills offense had 3 and out 4 of the first 6 drives, and got a first down on first down and then went 3 and out on the other. Then they turned the ball over early in the second half and the route was on. Bills were 0-10 on 3rd down offense. Yep, defensive sieve, but any team would have been, this was a game at the half. Bills defense and ST gave the Bills an early lead against the Jags but the D wore down against a good running team, that would have been forced to pass had the Bills not kicked 2 short FGs (29 and 22) when the offense was give better than great field position and did nothing at all with the ball. Bills were 3/11 on 3rd down, offense did nothing to help the defense all game long. Bills were killed on TOP by 10 minutes. Fitz was outplayed by Garrard. This was not all on the defense. 2nd half offense was highlighted by 3 straight 3 and outs and then punts when all the defense needed was a few first downs to get some rest against the physical Jags team.

You have no clue. A bad defense isn't always just a bad defense, the crap offense sure helps it. I would be willing to bet the Bills were in the top 3 in most 3 and outs. I would bet a lot.

In response to the OP point...READ THIS!

From Lee Evans, per ESPN

"It's hard, especially at the quarterback position, to come in and take control as he did," Evans said. "You have to take your hat off to him. It's a remarkable feat to come in and do what he did last year.

"Had we been doing it from the beginning, he would have been that much better even earlier. Given all that, I think he did well, and this year, with him knowing that he's the No. 1 quarterback, that gives everybody a vote of confidence moving forward."

The change sparked the offense, but it remained erratic. In essence, Fitzpatrick was working through his version of training camp on Sunday afternoons.

"He has the respect and the confidence of everybody on the team," Evans said. "He's the type of quarterback that can communicate with you on and off the field. He leads by example, and not just what he says. He's smart enough to be able to handle situations. Guys trust in him and believe in him."

http://espn.go.com/b...to-back-edwards

The players know what this guy did with basically one WR because both Parish and Evans were on IR, ML traded away and Spiller benched and Jackson the only decent RB, NO TIGHT END , a crap O line

This was originally titled "Right Tackle", but given Demetrius Bell (-12.9) didn't play all that impressively for the Bills it was changed to "Offensive Tackle". In 2010, the Bills simply could not find an answer at right tackle despite giving four guys the opportunity to win the job. Erik Pears (-0.3), Cornell Green (-4.5), Mansfield Wrotto (-10.8), and Cord Howard (-19.5) all played 60+ snaps but their combined play put them third to last of all tackles.

Demetrius Bell – despite starting every game for the Bills at left tackle – was hardly better than his teammates on the right end of the line. Bell finished the season as the 52nd ranked tackle in 2010. He allowed the fifth most QB hits with 10, which won't win him many favors with Fitzpatrick or whoever else winds up being the quarterback in Buffalo. On a positive note, Bell was tied for ninth place among tackles by only allowing 4 sacks all year (minimum of 850 snaps).

The tight end position was a black hole for the Bills. The tight ends as a group only managed 23 receptions, 187 yards, and 1 touchdown – the single worst production from a group of tight ends in the NFL.

http://www.profootba...-buffalo-bills/

To Alphadouche, Like I said, Tom Brady wouldn't last one game behind that Buffalo Bills O line simply because the guy is always getting injured behind one of the best O lines in the game. Payton Manning wouldn't last one game either, both those QB's don't play well when they are running for their lives every down like Fitz does, even playing behind their own proven better O lines. Stating that, both those teams drafted early for the O line because their teams realize that unless they have a wall of great blockers they won't win the SB. Something that obviously escapes the Bills coaches-GM

What I didn't say is that Fitz is the better QB behind a good or even half-way decent O line. Both Brady and Manning are two sure fire HoF QB's who both have good to great O lines, great receiving corps and play in a great offensive schemes with great coaches! BTW, good to know I can slot you in right next to "paintmyhouse"