Would anyone care if the NHL folded

There's more you can do, no touch icing to speed up the game aswell. Change the offside rule to go back like in the good ol days.

For the most part I like no touch icing, however it does suck when there are two guys inside the blueline racing for the puck and they blow it dead anyways. I'd like if they called no touch icing unless there is an actual chance for a play on the puck. Brining back the tag up offsides rule would be great.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be a Sabres fan growing up in Buffalo in the 70's,

but really lost interest after moving away...

The last time I watched any games was when the Sabres lost to the Stars in the finals.

The game has changed so much over the years, I find it to be very boring.

I couldn't name all the teams in the league right now,

there are so many new ones,

and I'd be lucky to name 20 players.

Minor league sport, a notch above lacrosse & indoor soccer,

it wouldn't bother me one bit if the the NHL folded.

What should happen is that the NFL should take over operations of the NHL, and create the National Football League of Hockey. 4 divisions of 4 teams in each conference (this may require expansion teams in Green Bay and Jacksonville), a hard cap that's a percentage of the total revenues, a 17-week season followed by intense and month-long playoff series, an all-star game after the season, and a major TV deal with Fox, CBS, and ESPN.

Interference penalties would be called more strictly, opening up the offense, although defenses would tend to win big games in the playoffs.

Before you all raise your glasses to the demise of the NHL, chew on this one:

A lot of people's jobs depend on that league, and not just the immediate office ones or people who work in the arena, but people who do sound and TV for those games, people who work in restaurants and other businesses near the arena, and so forth. I read a recent NY Times piece about it and they said that this is literally killing some of the businesses like Pearl St. Brewery, etc. that get many times greater business during hockey season. I know some towns don't care, but Buffalo has and does, and it's suffering again for it.

This is a tragedy that extends beyond the sport. Shame on anyone who thinks this is a good thing just because they can't appreciate the sport.

...actually I am rooting for it to stay gone.

Hell, if they get rid of Baseball too i won't cry.

I can get by on Football, Boxing, Tennis and a little Basketball for my sporting needs just nicely.

164001[/snapback]

Tennis?

Please leave our discussion of Hockey immediately.

I was checking out the Amerks' web site yesterday. Prices are 1/2 to 1/3 the price of Sabre seats. Looked like every game had some sort of promotion too. Seems to be a pretty good deal. A family of 4 could go to a game for as little as $44, and that's at full price. At a Sabre game, 4 drinks and 4 snacks is $44, never mind the tix and the parking. Think about it, a family of 4, parking, and consessions at a Sabre game and you are out up to $300. No thanks, not me.

So if the players cave, and the owners get a cap, do I see ticket prices that are half of today's prices? Or is it just better profits for the owners? If it is the latter, then what the hell do I care if they EVER play again. As I see it, the fan has to ask, what is in it for me. OK, maybe the Sabres are more able to compete. But if it is a $300 night as stated above, doesn't help me. 2 nights at a Sabre game almost equals 2 Bills season tickets. Give me the Bills tix

US Money??? exchange rate is 1.24 The Canadian dollar is steadily gaining on the US. Our economic growth is out pacing the US.

Scrap the NHL. New Canadian League with select Northern US cities.

New cap structure. If they players want big money, go make their own league.

As fans, I want the game back, I could care less how much the players and owners make. And if guys like Lindros or anyone else doesn't like it, find a new occupation. It's a free world.

Before you all raise your glasses to the demise of the NHL, chew on this one:

A lot of people's jobs depend on that league, and not just the immediate office ones or people who work in the arena, but people who do sound and TV for those games, people who work in restaurants and other businesses near the arena, and so forth.  I read a recent NY Times piece about it and they said that this is literally killing some of the businesses like Pearl St. Brewery, etc. that get many times greater business during hockey season.  I know some towns don't care, but Buffalo has and does, and it's suffering again for it.

This is a tragedy that extends beyond the sport.  Shame on anyone who thinks this is a good thing just because they can't appreciate the sport.

164068[/snapback]

Excellent post, and it is SO true, but the media puts all the attention on the greedy owners and players.

Scrap the NHL. New Canadian League with select Northern US cities.

New cap structure. If they players want big money, go make their own league.

As fans, I want the game back, I could care less how much the players and owners make. And if guys like Lindros or anyone else doesn't like it, find a new occupation. It's a free world.

At the risk of redundancy; my sentiments exactly.

I love hockey, but I gave up on the NHL years ago after New Jersey won the cup a few times (playing that damned boring NZ trap) and everyone jumped on the same bandwagon.

Hockey rinks today are just too small for the players...when was the last time you saw a two-on-one or (God forbid!) a breakaway on a regular basis? All it takes is 2-3 strides and today's 6'5' (and larger) D-men are back in position, clogging the middle of the ice.

International size rinks would make the game exciting again, but they're too expensive to fit into today's arena's.

Excellent post, and it is SO true, but the media puts all the attention on the greedy owners and players.

164182[/snapback]

Not quite. There have been articles about the SABRES and how them not playing has affected the bars, restaurants, and arena workers right in the Buffalo News. ESPN did a story on the NHL laying off their employees.

Not quite.  There have been articles about the SABRES and how them not playing has affected the bars, restaurants, and arena workers right in the Buffalo News.  ESPN did a story on the NHL laying off their employees.

164325[/snapback]

I did read that article and you are right, its not ALL the attention, but those articles are few and far between.

If the season is cancelled, Im never going back to the NHL as a fan.

I love hockey, but I gave up on the NHL years ago after New Jersey won the cup a few times (playing that damned boring NZ trap) and everyone jumped on the same bandwagon. 

Hockey rinks today are just too small for the players...when was the last time you saw a two-on-one or (God forbid!) a breakaway on a regular basis?  All it takes is 2-3 strides and today's 6'5' (and larger) D-men are back in position, clogging the middle of the ice.

International size rinks would make the game exciting again, but they're too expensive to fit into today's arena's.

164324[/snapback]

And most importantly, its takes away too many low level $eat$

Another thing, all you people saying they should get rid of the fighting in hockey???? Fighting has ALWAYS been part of the game, watch tapes from the 1920's and you'll see some fighting. And I don't understand how Americans would not like that.

163992[/snapback]

Fighting is pointless when teams have designated goons and so much equipment that punches don't do any damage - which is why players take to cheap shotting players from behind and hitting aboe the shoulders with their stick.

if fighting is so important, why is it banned in the Olympics and int'l competition?

If the NHL wants to be treated as a serious major league sport, they need to make the skating, scoring, and hitting the focus and eliminate the WWW influence.

I really think Bettman needs to take a stand and say there will be hockey this season.  Outline the terms and say whoever wants to accept them, step forward.  I don't know if the NHL can survive a whole year off.

163995[/snapback]

Absolutely incorrect.

The owners are far better off sitting out the 2005 season and declaring an impasse over the CBA. Then, they can unilaterly impose their own set of rules for whichever players want to accept the new terms.

If not, the players can attempt to find comparable employment elsewhere.

If they play in 2005, it will because the sides agreed to diluted agreement which will not result in the best foundation for the owners in the future. (see my prior post)