Leadership, Leadership and more Leadership

There is somewhat of a constant that I've noticed in the past two drafts. Toughness and self motivation. But there is also a constant that jumps right out at us. Almost every player we've drafted last year and this year oozes leadership skills. Not only do they have this great quality but also humility follows them.

But back to leadership. I've tried to think of past drafts of other teams for the past 10+ years that have exhibited this quality in such a consistent fashion. But I can't find it. Maybe I'm a bit dense but I don't see it to the degree that we have it here now. We are building a talented team of leaders. This will be a group that will stick together thru thick and thin no matter what the obstacles. These leaders of men (which they have proven with their college teammates) will continue their tradition of leading in the pros. I honestly don't know if I've ever seen so many leaders on one team at one time. And it's only been two drafts under the full direction of Nix. This is what I believe. These players are going to turn into one extremely focused group under Chan's tutelage. A searing focus is what I envision.

Leadership + talent + toughness + desire + loyalty. These are the qualities that would make up my dream team. These also are the qualities that I happen to see forming in our Bills. Nix, Whaley, and Gailey have now officially matched and perhaps exceeded my expectations as it comes to the qualities in players pursued. Only time will tell if this pans out. But in my mind they are going after the most desireable qualities.

With this group of guys (and more to come in time), with their character, I don't think a surplus of leadership will be an issue.

Edited by Pilsner

Yep. Agreed. And I don't even think that it is just wishful thinking. And I don't see this post degenerating into the mindless free for all that sometimes happens.

I agree with the OP. But....you know the mindless free for all is coming. It always does.

There is somewhat of a constant that I've noticed in the past two drafts. Toughness and self motivation. But there is also a constant that jumps right out at us. Almost every player we've drafted last year and this year oozes leadership skills. Not only do they have this great quality but also humility follows them.

But back to leadership. I've tried to think of past drafts of other teams for the past 10+ years that have exhibited this quality in such a consistent fashion. But I can't find it. Maybe I'm a bit dense but I don't see it to the degree that we have it here now. We are building a talented team of leaders. This will be a group that will stick together thru thick and thin no matter what the obstacles. These leaders of men (which they have proven with their college teammates) will continue their tradition of leading in the pros. I honestly don't know if I've ever seen so many leaders on one team at one time. And it's only been two drafts under the full direction of Nix. This is what I believe. These players are going to turn into one extremely focused group under Chan's tutelage. A searing focus is what I envision.

Leadership + talent + toughness + desire + loyalty. These are the qualities that would make up my dream team. These also happen to be the qualities that I happen to see forming in our Bills. Nix, Whaley, and Gailey have now officially exceeded my expectations as it comes to the qualities in players pursued. Only time will tell if this pans out. But in my mind they are going after the most desireable qualities.

With this group of guys (and more to come in time), with their character, I don't think a surplus of leadership will be an issue.

Do you happen to know how many of the players from the last two drafts were team captains at their schools? It's not something I've focused on.

Do you happen to know how many of the players from the last two drafts were team captains at their schools? It's not something I've focused on.

This is a good question. I don't know how many were team captains at the top of my head. But from what I've read of their college careers most were leaders. Some defensive captains. In essence though leaders. Leadership is what makes the difference when the talent is there. Good point tho ICanSleepWhenI'mDead.

And I agree with you on your avatar name.

Thanks gentlemen, I'm glad I'm not alone in realizing all this. I could be wrong with how a team should be built. I never thought Nix, Whaley and Gailey had the same ideas of how to build. I think i'm one lucky bastard seeing this envisioned. Doesn't mean I'm right though. I think our time is due though. And due big time. And if done right, due in a long successful consistent fashion. I want our team to be built for long sustained success, and so far I see this happening. I hope Ralph cooperates. So far the rest of the FO seems to be inclined to.

Edited by Pilsner

Leadership + talent + toughness + desire + loyalty. These are the qualities that would make up my dream team. These also are the qualities that I happen to see forming in our Bills. Nix, Whaley, and Gailey have now officially matched and perhaps exceeded my expectations as it comes to the qualities in players pursued. Only time will tell if this pans out. But in my mind they are going after the most desireable qualities.

Iremember Marv used to like smart players as well...brains and leadership!

It's reeeeally close to all of them honestly. When targeting tough seniors, it makes sense that they'd be captains though.

Iremember Marv used to like smart players as well...brains and leadership!

Marv was awful at evaluating those players and qualities. Donte and marshawn? Really?

The pats, and saints both follow this model too - just they have brady and brees

As soon as the old grouches on this board wake up and stumble to their PCs, you'll be labeled a Pollyanna and blind optimist.

That said, I like your post and agree, this organization (not necessarily Ralph, but Nix, Whaley, Gailey, etc.) really does have a plan and in offseason #2 we're starting to see it take shape. I just hope it translates onto the field.

Excellent observation...I spent a couple hours last night watching YouTube videos of games from the late 80's and 90's. The core of those teams had exactly the characteristics you described, plus one -- pursuit of excellence. Watch the execution on offense from the Super Bowl years, you'll see what I mean

Great post and you hit on something that I have been harping on for years with this team.

You cannot have a surplus of leadership because real leadership is not about rank or control. Real leaders inspire by the way they conduct themselves and go about their business. In sports, leaders are the few that refuse to lose and cannot make peace with not being the best they can be. True leaders make others better. They make the sum greater than the parts.

Leaders step up and make plays at crucial times. They want the ball. They set high expectations and those expectations become the way the organization conducts itself. It becomes a belief. We will win on Sunday. Because we expect to win on Sunday we will prepare to win on Sunday.

Looks like we are starting to draft players that fit that description. I hope so.

Do not confuse leadership with talking and fancy speeches. Leaders do not have to talk a big story, or tweet, or make videos. Leaders make the big plays that count. They work harder than the others and this forces everyone around them to work harder and step up.

In the Polian/Levy/Butler years we had lots of players like this.

I am not sure that leadership is quite the right word. The entire team can't be

leaders or there is no one for them to lead. I think that the have drafted players

who are self-motivated, self-starting and dedicated. A few may be leaders of the

group, but I think more important is that most of these guys, based on the scouting

reports I've seen, don't need motivation from anyone else. Look at Torrell Troup

busting his butt this offseason getting stronger and putting on weight. I don't think

anyone is leading him to that, he is doing it on his own because he wants to be

good.

It's reeeeally close to all of them honestly. When targeting tough seniors, it makes sense that they'd be captains though.

Marv was awful at evaluating those players and qualities. Donte and marshawn? Really?

The pats, and saints both follow this model too - just they have brady and brees

What a great and accurate post about the football philosophy of Buddy Nix and Chan! Obviously, we cannot turn perennial sad sack losers into winners overnight but they are building a team we call can be proud of. These young men are overwhelmingly intelligent, they are leaders, they have non-stop motors, and they share a desire to succeed.

As for the Marv reflection ... Marv knew the quality of players he wanted and Polian knew how to get them for him. Marv is a Hall of Fame coach and motivator but as a general manager we will never know for sure whether he is all too blame for his draft failures or whether Ralph, Russ or the coaches did him in (or even Modrak and his scouts).

But, looking at these last two drafts (And, eternal optimist that I am I still have hope for CJ) I am feeling really good about the team we are building ... just imagine if Jasper is the real thing!! :thumbsup:

What a great and accurate post about the football philosophy of Buddy Nix and Chan! Obviously, we cannot turn perennial sad sack losers into winners overnight but they are building a team we call can be proud of. These young men are overwhelmingly intelligent, they are leaders, they have non-stop motors, and they share a desire to succeed.

As for the Marv reflection ... Marv knew the quality of players he wanted and Polian knew how to get them for him. Marv is a Hall of Fame coach and motivator but as a general manager we will never know for sure whether he is all too blame for his draft failures or whether Ralph, Russ or the coaches did him in (or even Modrak and his scouts).

But, looking at these last two drafts (And, eternal optimist that I am I still have hope for CJ) I am feeling really good about the team we are building ... just imagine if Jasper is the real thing!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the great reply Shoretalk. I am not the most eloquent speaker but I think you phrased things better than I could have. Also, OldTimer1960 brought up a good point. The entire team can't be held as a leader. Many, well most leaders will have to defer to a few. I don't see this as a problem considering the players that were drafted have the character to not take issue with this. What better situation than to have hard working, talented, humble leaders to lead? Now we shall see if these leaders of men have the ability and talent to warrant their place. I'm optimistic about this bunch. I'm optimistic about Nix, Whaley and Gailey. So far (overall) they have given me reason to think favorably of their efforts.

As soon as the old grouches on this board wake up and stumble to their PCs, you'll be labeled a Pollyanna and blind optimist.

That said, I like your post and agree, this organization (not necessarily Ralph, but Nix, Whaley, Gailey, etc.) really does have a plan and in offseason #2 we're starting to see it take shape. I just hope it translates onto the field.

:thumbsup:

Good post Pilsner, I agree leadership and hard work will get them where they want. I like who they picked so far, it will be wait and see but they seem to pick good guys. I like a lot that there is a plan and they are working hard on that plan. It starts at the top and they seem so far to know what they are doing. I find that encouraging and refreshing for a change.