Pick by Pick review of Bills Draft

CBS Sports.com Senior Writer Clark Judge interviewed Buddy Nix in depth about last week's draft.

They discuss each and every pick. Some of Buddy's responses are rehashes of earlier responses he gave post-draft. But there's some new material and I think it's really enlightening in a subtle way and quite enjoyable.

http://www.cbssports.../story/15025116

Here are some noteworthy excerpts:

On trading down: "We had opportunities to trade out here, with many calls -- eight or 10 -- from people wanting to move up. But we're getting to the point [where we don't do that]. It's been two years now, and if it keeps going this way people are going to quit calling because our answer is, 'No.'

On taking a quarterback at #34: "and not that these are just 'guys' because we had them at the Senior Bowl, so our staff was around them all week and really got to know them ... but had we thought there was one who could come in and be our quarterback we might have done it.

On Donte Whitner: "As to what this means for Donte Whitner [who can become a free agent] I think this: I can't put words in Donte's mouth. All I can go by is past actions, and I'm not sure Donte wants to be a Buffalo Bill. All I know is that if that's true, he won't be."

Really a good read.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

On the right tackle situation:

"Hairston is 6-6 and 330 pounds and a real intelligent kid who played in a good league. We saw him at the East-West game, then went in there [Clemson] two or three times, and our scouts liked him. People think we don't have a right tackle, but we have a guy [Pears] who started two years in this league for the Denver Broncos when they were winning and who is almost 6-8, weighs 310 pounds and we think can be a good right tackle for us. But we want competition there. We want somebody battling him for the job, and that's what we expect Hairston to do. If he wins it, he'll start. If he doesn't, he'll give us good depth. We've still got [Mansfield] Wrotto there, too, so we're a little deeper and a little better than people think we are in the offensive line."

On 6th round ILB Chris White and what drafting 2 ILBs means to Danny Batten:

Nix: "Chris White is a throwback. He's like 6-4, 245- to 250-pound guy who came up through the junior-college ranks out of a small school in Mississippi and whose junior-college coach played for me. He's not a guy who wows you, but he's a blue-collar worker -- a tough guy and a smart guy who has played outside and inside and whom we think will be an inside backer for us. Again, we had him in the Senior Bowl, so we got a good feeling for him in the meeting rooms and things like that. I would be totally shocked if he doesn't make our team and contribute. As you know, we were really thin on defense, and this draft was strong in the areas where we were weak in depth. With two inside backers in this draft, people ask me what it means for someone like Danny Batten. Well, it's a possibility that Danny stay outside. Danny is 6-3 and 255, and he can play inside or out. When you go to a 3-4 scheme, you do a lot of projecting of guys in college who are edge rushers and had their hands on the ground. Danny has adjusted very well to standing up, and we think he has a bright future in either place, but his place could be outside now."

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

On MD:

I know I'm supposed to say how big he is and how athletic he is and how fast he is, and, obviously, that's why we started looking at him. But we need somebody in Buffalo who has a swagger about him; someone who is not intimidated by anybody. This guy thinks he's the best, and he thinks he'll be the best. We needed that.

This to me was his most interesting quote in the piece

My favorite part was Nix's description of Aaron Williams. "We'll start him out at corner, and if he can be one of our top two he'll be a starter. If not, he'll be our third guy and move inside on the slot. But if you get in a bind ... and we don't look to do this ... we think he can move in and play safety because he's a good tackler and a smart guy."

I like the fact that they took Williams because of his potential as a CB, not as a safety. Either with or without Whitner, the Bills can get by with the talent they have at safety. There's no call to be throwing second round picks at either safety position! :angry: But cornerback is (was?) a much bigger need; and I'd like to see Williams turn into a solid starter and solid contributor for the Bills for the next ten+ years.

That article was a very good read. Thanks for posting it! :thumbsup:

Excellent stuff, EssJayBeeEff - thanks! :thumbsup:

The 2011 draft, Buddy Nix's second as Bills GM, certainly gives this Bills fan reason for renewed optimism.

I also thought Buddy's first draft as Bills GM was OK, despite the somewhat less-than-expected rookie-season performance of C.J. Spiller and the season-ending injuries to 4th-round WR Marcus Easley and 6th-round ILB Danny Batten.

We'll be able assess the 2010 draft much better this year - if Easley & Batten make the grade and C.J. has a breakout sophomore season, it'll make for excellent back-to-back drafts by Nix & Co.

Based on what Nix accomplished in San Diego...

"Nix's job with the Chargers was to oversee both pro and college scouting and to be one of the main decision makers in each NFL Draft. Nix was a major reason the Chargers turned around from a losing football team to a rebuilt, winning team. In 2004, three players Nix drafted were selected to the 2005 Pro Bowl. In 2005, six players Nix drafted were selected to the 2006 Pro Bowl. In 2006, eleven players Nix drafted were selected to the 2007 Pro Bowl. In 2007, eight players Nix drafted were selected to the 2008 Pro Bowl. The Chargers won four out of the last five AFC West titles with Nix as Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel, in charge of college scouting and instrumental to the decision making process of their NFL drafts."

...Bills fans should be very excited about this and future seasons!

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator

Some pretty good insight into Buddy's thoughts. Personally, I'm rooting for Jasper -- I'd love to see him in a Bills uniform, terrorizing centers throughout the league. He sounds like he could be sort of like Ted Washington, if he's willing to work and is able to learn. He also sounds a little like Jason Peters - good athlete, and huge....

Some pretty good insight into Buddy's thoughts. Personally, I'm rooting for Jasper -- I'd love to see him in a Bills uniform, terrorizing centers throughout the league. He sounds like he could be sort of like Ted Washington, if he's willing to work and is able to learn. He also sounds a little like Jason Peters - good athlete, and huge....

Agreed but the excitement curve for Jasper is gonna be going up and down. We're in the early euphoria stage right now.

To add a little sobriety to the situation, here are Nix's most recent comments on Jasper:

'Heck, he's got a chance, so let's give him one.' Honestly, he's more of a developmental player. If he could make that adjustment quickly and help you in the first year it would be surprising."

On the right tackle situation:

"Hairston is 6-6 and 330 pounds and a real intelligent kid who played in a good league. We saw him at the East-West game, then went in there [Clemson] two or three times, and our scouts liked him. People think we don't have a right tackle, but we have a guy [Pears] who started two years in this league for the Denver Broncos when they were winning and who is almost 6-8, weighs 310 pounds and we think can be a good right tackle for us. But we want competition there. We want somebody battling him for the job, and that's what we expect Hairston to do. If he wins it, he'll start. If he doesn't, he'll give us good depth. We've still got [Mansfield] Wrotto there, too, so we're a little deeper and a little better than people think we are in the offensive line

Sigh. The guy we cut in 2009, (Langston Walker) was picked up by his old team, the Raiders. By the end of 2009, the guy we signed for 2010 (Cornell Green) was replaced by the guy we cut. The guy behind both of them was Eric Pears.

The guy we have as our favorite for starter in 2011 was playing behind the last 2 RT's we cut.

Isn't that a few steps backwards?

It isn't like the guy is a 2nd or 3rd year player that finally caught on to the game, he's 29 and has been cut by 3 teams.

People think we don't have a right tackle, but we have a guy [Pears] who started two years in this league for the Denver Broncos when they were winning and who is almost 6-8, weighs 310 pounds and we think can be a good right tackle for us. But we want competition there. We want somebody battling him for the job, and that's what we expect Hairston to do. If he wins it, he'll start. If he doesn't, he'll give us good depth. We've still got [Mansfield] Wrotto there, too, so we're a little deeper and a little better than people think we are in the offensive line."

Sigh. The guy we cut in 2009, (Langston Walker) was picked up by his old team, the Raiders. By the end of 2009, the guy we signed for 2010 (Cornell Green) was replaced by the guy we cut. The guy behind both of them was Eric Pears.

The guy we have as our favorite for starter in 2011 was playing behind the last 2 RT's we cut.

It isn't like the guy is a 2nd or 3rd year player that finally caught on to the game, he's 29 and has been cut by 3 teams.

Well you'll have to take it up with Buddy…after all, he's the one pumping up Pears. Thing is, if he thought Pears sucked, why would he be building up expectations? You'd think he'd be downplaying them.

No, but it isn't promising. I have always believed that non-skill position players like O-linemen do not fully develop until they are in their late 20's so Pears being younger than those two and only being 29 doesn't mean its a backwards step. After competing with veterans and not showing the ability to beat them out for a starter role does seem to indicate that he's not going to blow you away with sudden new found talent either.... I would say that similar to Jonas Jennings, he can be a serviceable part of the line, but probably never a dominating part of it.

Hairston on the other hand does have that "potential" so, even if we suffer through a season of Eric Pears/Mansfield Wrotto mediocrity, we could have a dominating cog the following season.

Buffalo tries to get by with some glue and cardboard instead of addressing the real issues on the O line by drafting some tackles early, clearly the GM is gambling. Both Langston Walker RT & Derrick Dockery LG are both still better at their positions then anyone currently on the Bills roster, (If Wood stays at center) they were both let go by Buffalo in a cost cutting move, IMO. Walker was let go by Jauron two weeks before the opener because he couldn't get to the line fast enough to run the no huddle offense, which the team scrapped 3 weeks into the season.

If Fitz gets a serious injury in the pre season or early in the season this team is screwed for 2011, I suppose that is what it will take to finally wake up this HC and GM enough to finally fix the line. I still don't see this team as having a decent running game this up coming season, not with this O line, not with just Fred Jackson taking on the full load. Things could really get scary if both Fred Jackson AND Fitz get hurt.

What is Nix supposed to say, our O line will stink this year... but we will try and fix it in next years draft.

Another thought is perhaps they just want to get that first overall pick next year to draft Mr Luck

Am I missing something? I thought we brought Pears in off the waiver wire last year......Langston Walker was long gone and we just flat made a mistake with Cornell Green.....

Im not saying Pears is good....but he is a experienced veteran. Personally I am hoping Hairston just outplays him and takes it.

Awesome article. Felt like I sat down with Nix.

I'm also glad the goal for Williams is to be a starting corner on the squad.

Still hate the Searcy pick, with the other talent on the board but it's really hard to criticize when 7/9 picks were outstanding.

I hope Searcy makes me eat my words.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Another thought is perhaps they just want to get that first overall pick next year to draft Mr Luck

:doh: I hope comments like these are made in jest, because regardless of what you think about how the Bills have (not) addressed the OL, the fact anyone would even suggest this to be the case is pretty ridiculous.

Am I missing something? I thought we brought Pears in off the waiver wire last year......Langston Walker was long gone and we just flat made a mistake with Cornell Green.....

Possibly. Pears was on the Raiders at the same time as both Langston Walker and Cornell Green. (2009)

He couldn't beat either out of a job and ended up being cut in the Raiders' 2010 training camp.

Now, Buddy is talking him up as no 1 for the starting job at RT.

If he wasn't better than Cornell Green, how is he the favorite for the starting position?

Im not saying Pears is good....but he is a experienced veteran. Personally I am hoping Hairston just outplays him and takes it.

So do I. And they seriously need to bring someone in.

My favorite part was Nix's description of Aaron Williams. "We'll start him out at corner, and if he can be one of our top two he'll be a starter. If not, he'll be our third guy and move inside on the slot. But if you get in a bind ... and we don't look to do this ... we think he can move in and play safety because he's a good tackler and a smart guy."

I like the fact that they took Williams because of his potential as a CB, not as a safety. Either with or without Whitner, the Bills can get by with the talent they have at safety. There's no call to be throwing second round picks at either safety position! :angry: But cornerback is (was?) a much bigger need; and I'd like to see Williams turn into a solid starter and solid contributor for the Bills for the next ten+ years.

That article was a very good read. Thanks for posting it! :thumbsup:

That's my feeling as well. We don't have anyone that can play the slot position reliably and that is critical, especially in our division having to face the Patriots twice a year. It's my understanding that Williams is a very good slot corner. Even if he starts as an outside corner, I'd bet he'll be sliding inside when they play nickel.

GO BILLS!!!

I can live with a line of Bell-Levitre-Wood-Urbik-Pears. You keep Wang,Wrotto,Hairston,as backups. Add 1 more player for depth, and you have the makings of a very good power blocking line.

The Bills are also high on guard Chad Rinehart who is only 25 years old and was a 3rd round pick of the Redskins in 2008.

Rinehart is 6'5" and 310 pounds. He was a first team All-American at Northern Iowa.

Late in November of 2009 he fractured his leg. Not quite ten months later he was released (September of 2010) in the last round of cuts…the Redskins felt his recovery was still not complete but he had passed his physical and was not eligible for IR. They needed his roster spot and they cut him.

I believe the Bills will move Wood to center and that Urbik and Rinehart will compete at right guard.