It's pretty embarrassing, reading this board sometimes...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I know it's an open forum, which means any half-wit with an internet connection and a keyboard can speak his mind, but the gnashing of teeth over late round draft picks is both comical and embarrassing. We have supposedly "knowledgeable" football fans who can't understand how many defensive backs a team needs to go to training camp. We have folks apparently unwilling to accept that the Bills' front office didn't believe a developmental prospect at QB was more important than finding players who can contribute immediately. We have people who think two RBs are enough for an entire season. This stuff amazes me - particularly the "Joe Schmoe was sitting there in the 6th round; how did these idiots not take him?" nonsense.

The Bills just got a lot more talented and addressed a number of significant needs. They couldn't fix everything with nine draft picks, but we are in a heluva lot better shape than we were on Thursday afternoon. Did everyone suddenly forget that except for about three games, the talent-poor 2010 Bills were in a position to win every game if they make a few plays in the 4th quarter or OT?

I'm tired of the decade of losing as much (if not more) as anyone. I've only enjoyed approximately 40% of my Sundays over the last 12 years. But only the most pessimistic of fans would not be encouraged by what we're seeing out of the organization.

If I'm too "optimistic" for your liking...well, then, kiss off. :P

Not for anything but our rivals in the AFC East have mnatched/exceded us in this draft and I am worried they will increase their existing talent gap once free agency opens up. We will get the Hargartners and Corny Greens and they will get potential all stars.

I agree this was a great draft and am happy. I think we are heading in the right direction. I will only add that I think we need to coax Mitch Ferrotte out of retirement to come in on goal line situations as an eligible receiver like the old days!

Not for anything but our rivals in the AFC East have mnatched/exceded us in this draft and I am worried they will increase their existing talent gap once free agency opens up. We will get the Hargartners and Corny Greens and they will get potential all stars.

Ummm, I think your post is exactly eball's point... :huh:

Main reason I dont post much.Too many negative nancy's with ridiculous ideas

for the draft.Posters should start to belive in nix/gailey/whalen..We are

drafting football players again!what a concept

Not for anything but our rivals in the AFC East have mnatched/exceded us in this draft....

Seriously????? Pray tell.

BTW...When "pray" was used to emphasize requests, this standard construction (as, "pray come here", "pray help us", "pray leave me") was an earnest request for information. The phrase is now, however, usually used ironically to emphasize the unacceptability of something, especially when highlighting a logical fallacy.

There is a great feature on this site if you get tired of reading a certain person's point of view:

Buffalo Bills Forums> Your control panel> Profile> Manage Ignored Users

Replying to It's pretty embarrassing, reading this board sometimes...

It is a board for opinions-and everyone is entitled to their own. Is there someone with a gun to your head making you read it? If I see something I don't want to read I go back to the main menu. It is a free country, thousands have died for the freedom in this country, and millions of others have served proudly to protect our freedom of opinion (20 years myself), so don't get so uptight.

It is a board for opinions-and everyone is entitled to their own. Is there someone with a gun to your head making you read it? If I see something I don't want to read I go back to the main menu. It is a free country, thousands have died for the freedom in this country, and millions of others have served proudly to protect our freedom of opinion (20 years myself), so don't get so uptight.

Well said.

It is embarrasing the responses and the idea of this thread. It shouldn't have to be written, yet it needed to be...

How the bloody F do people not understand the entire point of this thread.

Does anyone here ever notice the difference in members pre-2004 and partly 05-06 to those after 07? There are very few members here from 05-06.

Edited by jboyst62

He never said youre not allowed to make yourself look stupid, only that it's embarrassing when you do. But feel "free" to keep it up.

Uninformed, baseless opinions is what this board seems to thrive on unfortunately.

Reading that thousands died face down in the muck so that people could whine about a football team on a message board was kind of embarrassing.

How does that apply to this board? You have absolutely no freedom of speech here.

I can get on board with ripping the 'half-wits with an internet connection' who think they know anything about the draft. But that's about where your rant needs to end. Lets face it - you and people like you make this same post every year. And more often than not (whether it was by sheer luck or not) "the idiots" have been right and you have been wrong. "Lets wait 4 years before making any judgement" they always say. OK, so when someone says the 2007 draft was an epic failure, it's either greeted with "go root for the Patriots" or "Poz really isn't that bad". So don't tell anyone to wait 4 years when you still can't admit you were wrong 4 years later. I should hope the roster is better than it was Thursday afternoon - that's a pretty low bar you're setting for what constitutes a successful draft.

+1

When was the last time you saw the Bills run a successful safety blitz? When was the last time you saw a Bills DB really STUFF a TE, or even successfully defend one in the end zone?

They must have-maybe I just can't remember it?

The thing is, our DB, while talented, were drafted in the Jauron/Levy light/nimble mold. They love to back-tackle. I freakin' cheer when I see someone keep his head up and wrap. We need more physical DB who are actually feared when they safety-blitz and who CAN stuff a TE or defend one in the end zone. Williams, by his reviews, sounds to be in that mould.

I don't get the fans who think we can add MagicalFranchiseQB and automagically transform into a competitive team. That worked so well for Detroit 2 years ago when they drafted Stafford? Worked so well that that they were back at #1 in 2010 to pick Suh? and that Stafford got injured behind his cruddy line? People point to the Rams all the time, ignoring that the Rams drafted high on D and on OL for several years before they drafted Bradford, and were in the 2nd year with a new coach last year.

Then there's the 'expertise factor'. Now granted, at times in the Bills history, the team arguably would have been better off just drafting whomever the pundits had flagged as BPA. But we do have some reasonable football guys in there now making decisions. They get to spend their lives watching tape, working with players, see them in practice. Unless everyone here is actually professionally involved with football, we all spend most of our lives in other pursuits. So where do we get off foaming at the mouth and dissing the evaluations of people who do this for a living?

You contradict yourself pretty badly here. You are saying that the picking of Stafford didn't help the Lions because they drafted again #1 the next year, yet the Rams picked OL and DL for multiple years and they ended up #1 overall to pick their franchise QB. The Rams had just lost a very good QB (Bulger) before they went out and drafted Bradford, so they already had someone in place when drafting those linemen. What this all proves is that theres no right or wrong way to draft, and its all about getting the best players. And Stafford didn't just get injured cause of a bad line, he has had history of injuries

One of the funnier posts I read this weekend was about 122 pick Hairston. Someone jokingly posted that we over-picked in that he had Hairston at 126. The next few posters, that so-called joke went right over their heads in analzying how maybe we could have traded back to 126. :wallbash:

I'm glad to see they went "big" with the first pick and went defensive side of the ball with the rest of the draft. I'm not concerned that we didn't draft a QB cuz we are officially on the clock in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes... Let's just hope he doesn't pull an Elway & Manning and refuses to play for the team that drafted him. The best thing to look forward to next year will be the new uni's...