Glaring weaknesses addressed, glaring holes remain

I get the Bills needed upgrades on the defensive side and only time will tell the success or failure of this draft. Surely the potential is there for this draft to bear some fruit for years to come. However, choosing not to pick an impact TE, an LT or QB tells me that the Bills are either happy with their mediocre-at-best offense or that they have FA plans yet to play out. I get that you can't fill all the holes at once, but completely ignoring the offensive side of the ball is a head-scratcher to me. For God's sake, will we ever replace Jim Kelly or have a TE who can scare the other team?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the Bills needed upgrades on the defensive side and only time will tell the success or failure of this draft. Surely the potential is there for this draft to bear some fruit for years to come. However, choosing not to pick an impact TE, an LT or QB tells me that the Bills are either happy with their mediocre-at-best offense or that they have FA plans yet to play out. I get that you can't fill all the holes at once, but completely ignoring the offensive side of the ball is a head-scratcher to me. For God's sake, will we ever replace Jim Kelly or have a TE who can scare the other team?

Maybe we can train Jasper to just fall down on the left side of the line, it'll take at least 5 seconds to go around him right??

Hopefully we will improve but still lose enough games to draft Andrew Luck no. 1 next year. That needs to be the plan if you really want the next Jim Kelly. Plus, Chan does not use the tight end, so why spend a high pick on one?

I think Bell will will be fine at LT (the needs on defense were much much much higher than drafting a noobie LT)

TE doesn't seem to be an important part of Gaiey's offense anyway. No worries there.

I'm more concerned about not having a "good" backup QB - if Fitz goes down who is going to take over, Brown? I hope they pick up a decent FA 2nd string QB.

give some guys a chance to develope, others a chance to come back from injury, and others a chance to continue what they started last year. fill in with a couple fa's and let chan coach 'em up. we had moments on offense last year, if we could have consistancy, that's half the battle.

I think Bell will will be fine at LT (the needs on defense were much much much higher than drafting a noobie LT)

TE doesn't seem to be an important part of Gaiey's offense anyway. No worries there.

I'm more concerned about not having a "good" backup QB - if Fitz goes down who is going to take over, Brown? I hope they pick up a decent FA 2nd string QB.

How many good teams don't make TE an important part of their offense? I say that not having a TE to worry about makes defending an offense a lot easier. The fact that Chan Gailey doesn't think the TE is that important does not make Chan Gailey a smart coach.

Hopefully we will improve but still lose enough games to draft Andrew Luck no. 1 next year. That needs to be the plan if you really want the next Jim Kelly. Plus, Chan does not use the tight end, so why spend a high pick on one?

So, you want this team to lose a lot of games this year? Does this mean on certain Sundays this year you will root for them to lose? Interesting.

Did anyone in his right mind believe the Bills could address every need in one draft? Get a grip. The team just got a significant infusion of talent, which is what was needed. There's still free agency (we hope) and the thought that last year's rookies actually, you know, got better?

By the way, I'd like to read even one quote from Chan or Buddy suggesting they don't think a TE is important.

Or maybe it should tell you that the team understands they can only fill so many glaring holes in a seven round draft. There was need at virtually every position on the field, however, QB was not a glaring one and not one that could be addressed anyway in 2011 no matter who they picked. If they had picked a QB and a TE, they would not have been able to adequately address the defense.

Or maybe it should tell you that the team understands they can only fill so many glaring holes in a seven round draft. There was need at virtually every position on the field, however, QB was not a glaring one and not one that could be addressed anyway in 2011 no matter who they picked. If they had picked a QB and a TE, they would not have been able to adequately address the defense.

I liked this draft, but I think we could have used one less DB pick and grabbed another OL prospect, or a TE. Given the propensity for linemen to start dropping like flies around October in Orchard Park, adding quality depth and high-potential players for the future would have been nice. I sure hope they make some noteworthy additions once FA is in play.

I do think their attention to the front seven will make the current crop of DBs look better, hence my opinion that they could have allocated one less pick to that part of the field.

Perhaps David Nelson is being looked at as a pass-catching TE type, as some have suggested. I don't think he has the body for it at all, but it would be a way to get more of these receivers on the field. I wish Shawn Nelson were going to be what we imagined he'd be, but it seems unlikely given his migraine troubles and other injuries.

So, you want this team to lose a lot of games this year? Does this mean on certain Sundays this year you will root for them to lose? Interesting.

Losing will always be for losers.

What impact QB or TE was available in this draft? This was a weak draft for both. As for LT, they are sticking with Bell.

Doc, no disagreements there, but are you comfortable with the depth behind Bell? Please answer this honestly.

In a year where the QB class was very suspect & possibly weak in a lot of ways why would you take one ? Especially if you didn't think they are worth the pick !!

We did draft a player that is a very big Offensive left tackle from Clemson a 3 year starter at the position , i'm not real sure of the RB pick but i;ll give Nix & company the benefit of that one after all they are the ones that do this for a living not me !!

So offense wasn't completely ignored they just paid more attention to D this year as it should have been !!

That is our biggest weakness !!

One thing that i thought was the head scratcher was with the pick in round 3 with Martez Wilson still on the board (ranked the highest LB) why they took sheppard over him , i would like to here that explanation ?? As i said earlier they are the football guys i'm just a fan !!!

GO BILLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by T master

Doc, no disagreements there, but are you comfortable with the depth behind Bell? Please answer this honestly.

They have no one proven behind Bell, but Hairston played LT in college and so did Levitre. But they weren't going to take a LT high to be a backup, when they needed starters elsewhere.

How many good teams don't make TE an important part of their offense? I say that not having a TE to worry about makes defending an offense a lot easier. The fact that Chan Gailey doesn't think the TE is that important does not make Chan Gailey a smart coach.

Gailey has said many times he likes the tight end he picked up mid-season. Can't believe he wouldn't use any weapon he has. At least this is not the impression I've gotten so far.

In a year where the QB class was very suspect & possibly weak in a lot of ways why would you take one ? Especially if you didn't think they are worth the pick !!

We did draft a player that is a very big Offensive left tackle from Clemson a 3 year starter at the position , i'm not real sure of the RB pick but i;ll give Nix & company the benefit of that one after all they are the ones that do this for a living not me !!

So offense wasn't completely ignored they just paid more attention to D this year as it should have been !!

That is our biggest weakness !!

One thing that i thought was the head scratcher was with the pick in round 3 with Martez Wilson still on the board (ranked the highest LB) why they took sheppard over him , i would like to here that explanation ?? As i said earlier they are the football guys i'm just a fan !!!

GO BILLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scouting reports talked a lot about his leadership and intelligence calling defensive plays. I wondered if this is a sign that Poz may be somewhat expendable.

Holy ****!!! We just had our best draft in 10 years... and people are still complaining. We drafted the best D Lineman (Maybe the best player) in the Draft in Dareus, a top 3 ILB Prospect in Sheppard who is a beast and plays with fire, a top 5 CB in Williams where we need depth. I don't know what there is left to complain about. We picked up an NFL sized OT, a talented Safety, another decently sized RB, and a Giant. Maybe the top TE prospects in this draft weren't that impressive. In terms of our QB situation, I'm glad we didn't draft a guy we werent sold on just to draft one. We got a lot of great value picks... and honestly 3 or 4 of these guys are going to be contributing right away.. B+ Draft Grade.

Kevin Boss should be available in FA... as well.

There is also a TE named Weslye Saunders from SC who didn't get drafted. He was kicked-off the team for disciplinary reasons, but he's got all the skills you want in a TE. He could be an UDFA pickup, whenever that's allowed to happen. And again, I hope they sign one of the stud TE's in FA, even if it means that's all they do there.