51 years without picking a QB first

To me, the most amazing stat in Bills history and the main reason why they are a losing franchise. Fifty one years without drafting a QB with their first pick in any draft.

The last time the Bills were all-in on a QB prospect was their inaugural draft of 1960 with Richie Lucas from Penn State.

Ralph has apparently never gotten over that disappointment.

I'm going to keep saying it, because it's fact. The NFL draft is a process, not an event. Sometimes you gotta take a chance on a QB. No balls, no babies.

From an individual draft pick standpoint, you gotta' love Dareus. But 5 years from now it won't make a bit of difference if Dareus is great or a bust if the Bills don't have a franchise QB.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, the most amazing stat in Bills history and the main reason why they are a losing franchise. Fifty one years without drafting a QB with their first pick in any draft.

The last time the Bills were all-in on a QB prospect was their inaugural draft of 1960 with Richie Lucas from Penn State.

I'm going to keep saying it, because it's fact. The NFL draft is a process, not an event. Sometimes you gotta take a chance on a QB. No balls, no babies.

From an individual draft pick standpoint, you gotta' love Dareus. But 5 years from now it won't make a bit of difference if Dareus is great or a bust if the Bills don't have a franchise QB.

and especially if Gabbert turns out to be good

Your thesis has merit, but not for THIS particular draft. Dareus was the right choice.

Based on that, doesn't that mean we have 5 drafts, FA periods, and trade deadlines to get it done?

And, I'd rather see a drawn dick than a dick drawn. Or, is it the other way around?

You assume a franchise QB must come with the first pick. Well Jim Kelly comes to mind and then that Brady guy.... Gabbert came from a spread formation shot gun system. Most of these QB's are awful and undraftable even if they win the Heisman(See Jason White). Bradford makes you rethink that but he may still be the exception.

Well Losman was a 1st rounder (Although not the first pick they made that year) and while you can blame the team for not investing enough at the QB position draft wise. However Dareus is a run stuffer and odds are the best player in the draft. So this year isn't the year to get on the organization for that.

Also Fitz is a pretty decent QB and this years class seemed weak to me.

Your thesis has merit, but not for THIS particular draft. Dareus was the right choice.

Be grateful that Carolina drafted Cam Newton #1 overall because the bills would have surely selected him

I say be grateful because there was no elite Franchise QB in this years draft, all of them graded as projects. There was no Sam Bradford, no Matthew Stafford, clearly the Bills FO didn't think there was a Joe Flacco-Matt Ryan-Josh freeman either or they would have drafted one.

With Buffalo not selecting a starting RT-G-LT or TE in this years draft perhaps Fitz gets a serious injury early and the Bills go 0-16, then they could then draft Andrew Luck with the first overall...hey, you can dream :lol:

there's certainly some validity to what you're saying, but it is still misleading.

In 1998, the Bills spent a first round pick to acquire Rob Johnson. In 2002, they spent a first round pick to acquire Drew Bledsoe, and in 2004, they traded their 2005 first round pick to get JP Losman.

So, while that is an impressive stat, its not like they havent been aggressive at QB.

And my gut feeling.....and 4 hours after the draft ends, all we can go by is gut feelings, I think when the NFL History books look back on this draft, I think the story will be the number of first round QB's who didn't pan out.

You assume a franchise QB must come with the first pick. Well Jim Kelly comes to mind and then that Brady guy.... Gabbert came from a spread formation shot gun system. Most of these QB's are awful and undraftable even if they win the Heisman(See Jason White). Bradford makes you rethink that but he may still be the exception.

No, I don't assume that. Obviously, plenty of franchise QB's go later. But 51 years is a pattern of negligence. I don't know if you can expect more luck than picking up a franchise QB in Jack Kemp off the scrap heap or getting lucky that Jim Kelly was there with that second pick in 1983 and not coincidentally those two QB's are the only thing between the Bills and 50 years of no sustained success whatsoever.

By comparison, they've drafted a dozen RB's with that pick. Lotta' DB's too. Just sayin' on that though.

For what its worth, 2 months ago if you had told me the Bills would come out of this draft without a QB, I would have thought you were insane, and too take it one step further, if you had told me they would come out of the first two days without a QB I would have laughed and told you to do some more research....

But I think it was just one of those breaks where the supply didn't meet the demand.

If Cam had fallen to three, I think they would have taken him.

If Dareus had gone in the top two, I think they would have taken a long hard look at Gabbert.

If Ponder had fallen within reach of the 34th pick, I think they would have been aggressive in trying to trade up.

But, outside of that, it's clear they just didn't like the QB situation in this draft.

But if they took one of the QBs in this particular draft class they most likely would have set the franchise back 5 years. Every single qb in this class had BIG question marks around their abilities. I agree , a franchise QB must be selected 1st , but in my mind , and apparently the powers that be at One Bills Drive agree , there was no such QB in this years draft.

there's certainly some validity to what you're saying, but it is still misleading.

In 1998, the Bills spent a first round pick to acquire Rob Johnson. In 2002, they spent a first round pick to acquire Drew Bledsoe, and in 2004, they traded their 2005 first round pick to get JP Losman.

So, while that is an impressive stat, its not like they havent been aggressive at QB.

And my gut feeling.....and 4 hours after the draft ends, all we can go by is gut feelings, I think when the NFL History books look back on this draft, I think the story will be the number of first round QB's who didn't pan out.

I'm not trying to mislead anyone. When I say they've never been all-in on a prospect, that's fact. They have traded for vets and traded future picks, but it is not at all the same as investing that pick at that moment on a complete unknown.

But, I think you are right, this draft will be known for it's number of bust QB's.

My point again is that the draft is a process, not an event. I think after so many regime changes most Bills fans can only see this draft as an isolated event. Today, Marcel Dareus is the next great DL. Today, I see him and think he's the Bills version of Warren Sapp. Tomorrow he could be the next John Copeland, Eric Curry, Dan Wilkinson, Sean Giilbert......you name it.

The point is, in the long run it doesn't matter if the team never takes chances at the QB position.

The QB's that are busts from this draft could set those organizations back several years. But nothing ventured, nothing gained and most organizations get that.

Two points this years quarterback selection sucked. If luck had come out that would have been someone to go after, but newton is a one trick pony, he runs. Gabbert is okay, but there were teams that passed him that needed a quarterback. Quarterbacks flop all the time, and Gailey has a track record of taken league left overs and making them into good signal callers.

Second with the labor issue not taken care of why would you want to draft a quarterback when he might not even get to practice this year. Also, we don't know what to expect to pay a quarterback. It's a whole lot easier to negotiate a contract for a defensive tackle than a quarterback especially in uncertain times.

I know this is a quarterback driven league, but defense still wins games, and offense sells tickets, and right now the bills can do neither.

For what its worth, 2 months ago if you had told me the Bills would come out of this draft without a QB, I would have thought you were insane, and too take it one step further, if you had told me they would come out of the first two days without a QB I would have laughed and told you to do some more research....

But I think it was just one of those breaks where the supply didn't meet the demand.

If Cam had fallen to three, I think they would have taken him.

If Dareus had gone in the top two, I think they would have taken a long hard look at Gabbert.

If Ponder had fallen within reach of the 34th pick, I think they would have been aggressive in trying to trade up.

But, outside of that, it's clear they just didn't like the QB situation in this draft.

That's the point Deep, on draft day supply never meets demands in the Bills opinion. It's the opinion that is in question. You can try to rationalize it based on the names that were available this year, but it's the same every year.

My biggest concern is that the guy was a black. I think it was too much of a risk then to draft a black QB and too much now and Ralph remembers that and does not draft black QB's anymore or any QB's anymore. :wallbash:

Two points this years quarterback selection sucked. If luck had come out that would have been someone to go after, but newton is a one trick pony, he runs. Gabbert is okay, but there were teams that passed him that needed a quarterback. Quarterbacks flop all the time, and Gailey has a track record of taken league left overs and making them into good signal callers.

Second with the labor issue not taken care of why would you want to draft a quarterback when he might not even get to practice this year. Also, we don't know what to expect to pay a quarterback. It's a whole lot easier to negotiate a contract for a defensive tackle than a quarterback especially in uncertain times.

I know this is a quarterback driven league, but defense still wins games, and offense sells tickets, and right now the bills can do neither.

Forget those other axioms. The difference between the champions and the other playoff contenders is which great QB has the best defense. But no QB means no consistent success AT ALL. I'm not saying having a good defense is putting the cart before the horse, but it's still no good without the franchise QB.

With regard to your points though, what are the explanations for the other half century? The Bills have made it clear that you can talk yourself out of taking a QB in any given year, I don't know if this year is any different. If anything, it seems like more teams are taking chances at QB this year, if anything.

To be honest, how are any of us?

Well, I am addicted to caffiene, tylonol PM's and a few other random things that helps ease the suffering. I also beat up little children after the worst loses. I am getting better at it though, little steps...maybe one day I can stop ...that or we can win.

The Buffalo Bills selected Kelly in the first round of the 1983 NFL Draft......we drafted jim kelly in the first round where do you find these stats?

The Buffalo Bills selected Kelly in the first round of the 1983 NFL Draft......we drafted jim kelly in the first round where do you find these stats?

Seriously, do you people have no internal monologue? Look it up. Again......the Buffalo Bills selected TE Tony Hunter with their first pick in the 1983 draft. They had acquired a second first round pick by earlier trading the rights to Tom Cousineau to Cleveleand which they then decided to use on Jim Kelly. Thankfully he was there, because Tony Hunter was a bust. And even if he weren't.......how good of a TE would he have had to be to make up for missing on Jim Kelly?.......a QB with questionable character and a surgically repaired shoulder that just wasn't quite worth that first pick apparently.

But if they took one of the QBs in this particular draft class they most likely would have set the franchise back 5 years. Every single qb in this class had BIG question marks around their abilities. I agree , a franchise QB must be selected 1st , but in my mind , and apparently the powers that be at One Bills Drive agree , there was no such QB in this years draft.

It's the same argument every year. There is never a good time to take a franchise QB. Yet somehow, other teams have them. I'm not trying to be snarky, but what you are talking about is talking yourself out of taking a QB. The Bills are good at that. As I just mentioned with regard to Jim Kelly, JK had his share of questionable behavior and a surgrically repaired shoulder coming out. He had BIG question marks. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

The intelligence level on this board is falling at an alarming rate..

Is that a Spiller joke?

None of these QBs were as NFL ready than Jimmy Clausen, which says something. At the end of the day, Fitzpatrick gives us the best chance to win in 2011 and 2012. If Fitz falls flat on his face this season we'll likely be drafting high again so don't worry. This rebuild wasn't going to happen overnight. Ralph Wilson has good genetics and probably has another 10 years left in him, so we have plenty of time. Be thankful we didn't end up with Cam.

Edited by BiggieScooby

Your assertion might have some credibility if it could be shown that every team that's ever won the AFL Championship since 1961, and the Super Bowl since 1970, did so with a first round QB draft pick at the helm during their respective championship season,...not so! Cases in point; Patriots w/ Brady(6th round), Green Bay w/ Bart Starr(17th round)and w/ Brett Favre(trade), Rams w/ Kurt Warner(undrafted), Skins w/ Theisman(via CFL), Doug Williams, Mark Rypien(6th), Giants w/ Hostetler(3rd round), Saints w/ Brees, acquired from Chargers, Cowboys w/ Roger Staubach(10th round),Raiders w/ Kenny Stabler(2nd round) and Jim Plunket(via Patriots).

We spent our first pick in the 1998, 2003, and 2005 drafts on quarterbacks.

I keep forgetting about when they drafted 30 year old Drew Bledsoe in the first round of 2003! LOL, We've been thru this, there is a difference between trading for veterans and trading future picks(less valuable at the time) and being all-in. If the Bills were all-in in 2005 they would have traded up for Roethlisberger. But they needed them some Lee Evans right then to team up with Bledsoe. Roethlisberger, Rivers and Manning are just entering their primes now, but the Bills probably couldn't even get a third rounder for Evans.

Your assertion might have some credibility if it could be shown that every team that's ever won the AFL Championship since 1961, and the Super Bowl since 1970, did so with a first round QB draft pick at the helm during their respective championship season,...not so! Cases in point; Patriots w/ Brady(6th round), Green Bay w/ Bart Starr(17th round)and w/ Brett Favre(trade), Rams w/ Kurt Warner(undrafted), Skins w/ Theisman(via CFL), Doug Williams, Mark Rypien(6th), Giants w/ Hostetler(3rd round), Saints w/ Brees, acquired from Chargers, Cowboys w/ Roger Staubach(10th round),Raiders w/ Kenny Stabler(2nd round) and Jim Plunket(via Patriots).

I didn't say that the Bills haven't won a SB because they haven't drafted QB's with their first pick. They haven't won a SB because they missed a 47 yard field goal. That's that.

The point is, the organization has not had much sustained success because they haven't taken sufficient chances at the QB positon.

None of these QBs were as NFL ready than Jimmy Clausen, which says something. At the end of the day, Fitzpatrick gives us the best chance to win in 2011 and 2012. If Fitz falls flat on his face this season we'll likely be drafting high again so don't worry. This rebuild wasn't going to happen overnight. Ralph Wilson has good genetics and probably has another 10 years left in him, so we have plenty of time. Be thankful we didn't end up with Cam.

I actually don't care about NFL ready. Drew Brees wasn't NFL ready. Aaron Rodgers didn't start right away. The list goes on. Fitzpatrick is definitely a decent player, perhaps he's even much better. But that's not the point. Just making a very simple point, nothing ventured, nothing gained and this is the 51st straight draft in which they've passed on drafting a QB with their first pick. They've taken a dozen RB's with that pick in that span. Priorities?

Buffalo Bills First Round Draft Picks

Provided by

PA Sports

Written on April 01, 2009

2004—J.P. Losman, QB, Tulane 1983—Jim Kelly, QB, Miami (from Cleveland) 1960—Richie Lucas, QB, Penn St

JP was the 2nd selection in round one in 2004 (Lee Evans being the first selection that year) but a first round pick nonetheless.

Buffalo Bills First Round Draft Picks

Provided by

PA Sports

Written on April 01, 2009

2004—J.P. Losman, QB, Tulane 1983—Jim Kelly, QB, Miami (from Cleveland) 1960—Richie Lucas, QB, Penn St

JP was the 2nd selection in round one in 2004 (Lee Evans being the first selection that year) but a first round pick nonetheless.

JP and Kelly were the Bills second picks in those drafts. They were first round picks, but not the Bills first choice. Tony Hunter and Lee Evans were deemed more important, which says a lot about the Bills prioritization.

If you go 51 drafts and do not select a QB with that first pick, you are essentially saying that there wasn't a QB prospect good enough to justify doing so over that period of time. That indicates a problem with the assessor, not with the QB's.

The absolute bottom line with the Bills on draft day is that they are always taking shorts and it's never the right time for a QB. They do not want to put the time and effort into developing greatness, they want guys who appear to be plug and play types first and foremost. In the end they don't get longevity from these selections and as an example they end up back at the trough for more DB's and RB's. The fact that they drafted a quality DL in round 1 this year does not cover up the fact that they spent their #1 on a RB last year and their #2 on a CB this year. They are chronic shortcutters and in the end that leaves them with no foundation, no consistency and no success.

Tony Hunter was picked with the 12th pick in the 83 draft. Jim Kelly was the 14th pick. Detroit picked in between and choose a fullback, James Jones. They didn't pick a QB because they were so happy with Gary Danielson and Eric Hipple.

JP and Kelly were the Bills second picks in those drafts. They were first round picks, but not the Bills first choice. Tony Hunter and Lee Evans were deemed more important, which says a lot about the Bills prioritization.

If you go 51 drafts and do not select a QB with that first pick, you are essentially saying that there wasn't a QB prospect good enough to justify doing so over that period of time. That indicates a problem with the assessor, not with the QB's.

The absolute bottom line with the Bills on draft day is that they are always taking shorts and it's never the right time for a QB. They do not want to put the time and effort into developing greatness, they want guys who appear to be plug and play types first and foremost. In the end they don't get longevity from these selections and as an example they end up back at the trough for more DB's and RB's. The fact that they drafted a quality DL in round 1 this year does not cover up the fact that they spent their #1 on a RB last year and their #2 on a CB this year. They are chronic shortcutters and in the end that leaves them with no foundation, no consistency and no success.

Be grateful that Carolina drafted Cam Newton #1 overall because the bills would have surely selected him

I say be grateful because there was no elite Franchise QB in this years draft, all of them graded as projects. There was no Sam Bradford, no Matthew Stafford, clearly the Bills FO didn't think there was a Joe Flacco-Matt Ryan-Josh freeman either or they would have drafted one.

With Buffalo not selecting a starting RT-G-LT or TE in this years draft perhaps Fitz gets a serious injury early and the Bills go 0-16, then they could then draft Andrew Luck with the first overall...hey, you can dream :lol:

Things change all the time...like for example - last year early in the season, a lot of people were thinking Locker and Mullet were the next best thing.

Since I looked up the Lions, I checked out their drafts since 1983. They have picked a QB first 4 different times. They were Chuck Long, Andre Ware, Joey Harrington and Matthew Stafford. It finally hit.

Edited by Yoho

Since I looked up the Lions, I checked out their drafts since 1983. They have picked a QB first 4 different times. They were Chuck Long, Andre Ware, Joey Harrington and Matthew Stafford. It finally hit.

Sounds more like Whack-a-mole vs. drafting.