51 years without picking a QB first

To me, the most amazing stat in Bills history and the main reason why they are a losing franchise. Fifty one years without drafting a QB with their first pick in any draft.

The last time the Bills were all-in on a QB prospect was their inaugural draft of 1960 with Richie Lucas from Penn State.

Ralph has apparently never gotten over that disappointment.

I'm going to keep saying it, because it's fact. The NFL draft is a process, not an event. Sometimes you gotta take a chance on a QB. No balls, no babies.

From an individual draft pick standpoint, you gotta' love Dareus. But 5 years from now it won't make a bit of difference if Dareus is great or a bust if the Bills don't have a franchise QB.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, the most amazing stat in Bills history and the main reason why they are a losing franchise. Fifty one years without drafting a QB with their first pick in any draft.

The last time the Bills were all-in on a QB prospect was their inaugural draft of 1960 with Richie Lucas from Penn State.

I'm going to keep saying it, because it's fact. The NFL draft is a process, not an event. Sometimes you gotta take a chance on a QB. No balls, no babies.

From an individual draft pick standpoint, you gotta' love Dareus. But 5 years from now it won't make a bit of difference if Dareus is great or a bust if the Bills don't have a franchise QB.

and especially if Gabbert turns out to be good

Your thesis has merit, but not for THIS particular draft. Dareus was the right choice.

Based on that, doesn't that mean we have 5 drafts, FA periods, and trade deadlines to get it done?

And, I'd rather see a drawn dick than a dick drawn. Or, is it the other way around?

You assume a franchise QB must come with the first pick. Well Jim Kelly comes to mind and then that Brady guy.... Gabbert came from a spread formation shot gun system. Most of these QB's are awful and undraftable even if they win the Heisman(See Jason White). Bradford makes you rethink that but he may still be the exception.

Well Losman was a 1st rounder (Although not the first pick they made that year) and while you can blame the team for not investing enough at the QB position draft wise. However Dareus is a run stuffer and odds are the best player in the draft. So this year isn't the year to get on the organization for that.

Also Fitz is a pretty decent QB and this years class seemed weak to me.

Your thesis has merit, but not for THIS particular draft. Dareus was the right choice.

Be grateful that Carolina drafted Cam Newton #1 overall because the bills would have surely selected him

I say be grateful because there was no elite Franchise QB in this years draft, all of them graded as projects. There was no Sam Bradford, no Matthew Stafford, clearly the Bills FO didn't think there was a Joe Flacco-Matt Ryan-Josh freeman either or they would have drafted one.

With Buffalo not selecting a starting RT-G-LT or TE in this years draft perhaps Fitz gets a serious injury early and the Bills go 0-16, then they could then draft Andrew Luck with the first overall...hey, you can dream :lol:

there's certainly some validity to what you're saying, but it is still misleading.

In 1998, the Bills spent a first round pick to acquire Rob Johnson. In 2002, they spent a first round pick to acquire Drew Bledsoe, and in 2004, they traded their 2005 first round pick to get JP Losman.

So, while that is an impressive stat, its not like they havent been aggressive at QB.

And my gut feeling.....and 4 hours after the draft ends, all we can go by is gut feelings, I think when the NFL History books look back on this draft, I think the story will be the number of first round QB's who didn't pan out.

You assume a franchise QB must come with the first pick. Well Jim Kelly comes to mind and then that Brady guy.... Gabbert came from a spread formation shot gun system. Most of these QB's are awful and undraftable even if they win the Heisman(See Jason White). Bradford makes you rethink that but he may still be the exception.

No, I don't assume that. Obviously, plenty of franchise QB's go later. But 51 years is a pattern of negligence. I don't know if you can expect more luck than picking up a franchise QB in Jack Kemp off the scrap heap or getting lucky that Jim Kelly was there with that second pick in 1983 and not coincidentally those two QB's are the only thing between the Bills and 50 years of no sustained success whatsoever.

By comparison, they've drafted a dozen RB's with that pick. Lotta' DB's too. Just sayin' on that though.

For what its worth, 2 months ago if you had told me the Bills would come out of this draft without a QB, I would have thought you were insane, and too take it one step further, if you had told me they would come out of the first two days without a QB I would have laughed and told you to do some more research....

But I think it was just one of those breaks where the supply didn't meet the demand.

If Cam had fallen to three, I think they would have taken him.

If Dareus had gone in the top two, I think they would have taken a long hard look at Gabbert.

If Ponder had fallen within reach of the 34th pick, I think they would have been aggressive in trying to trade up.

But, outside of that, it's clear they just didn't like the QB situation in this draft.

But if they took one of the QBs in this particular draft class they most likely would have set the franchise back 5 years. Every single qb in this class had BIG question marks around their abilities. I agree , a franchise QB must be selected 1st , but in my mind , and apparently the powers that be at One Bills Drive agree , there was no such QB in this years draft.

there's certainly some validity to what you're saying, but it is still misleading.

In 1998, the Bills spent a first round pick to acquire Rob Johnson. In 2002, they spent a first round pick to acquire Drew Bledsoe, and in 2004, they traded their 2005 first round pick to get JP Losman.

So, while that is an impressive stat, its not like they havent been aggressive at QB.

And my gut feeling.....and 4 hours after the draft ends, all we can go by is gut feelings, I think when the NFL History books look back on this draft, I think the story will be the number of first round QB's who didn't pan out.

I'm not trying to mislead anyone. When I say they've never been all-in on a prospect, that's fact. They have traded for vets and traded future picks, but it is not at all the same as investing that pick at that moment on a complete unknown.

But, I think you are right, this draft will be known for it's number of bust QB's.

My point again is that the draft is a process, not an event. I think after so many regime changes most Bills fans can only see this draft as an isolated event. Today, Marcel Dareus is the next great DL. Today, I see him and think he's the Bills version of Warren Sapp. Tomorrow he could be the next John Copeland, Eric Curry, Dan Wilkinson, Sean Giilbert......you name it.

The point is, in the long run it doesn't matter if the team never takes chances at the QB position.

The QB's that are busts from this draft could set those organizations back several years. But nothing ventured, nothing gained and most organizations get that.