After a couple more years of getting beat by Brady

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For one I dont care what the pats do in the draft. I'm worried about what the Bills do. Second, the pats had picks to play with so drafting mallett was a luxury, if you will, that they could afford. I agree that his greatest value to them will be in trade to another team down the line. In fact, I hope we face him. I hope Marcell knocks the hell out of Brady and puts him on the sideline (of course this will lead the NFL to create yet another rule to somehow protect their poster boy).

We needed help on the defensive side of the ball and needed to get bigger on defense and we've done just that up to this point. Remember all the QB's we should've drafted last year? None of them produced much if anything and not one of them is better than Fitz (Bradford not withstanding but we never had a shot at him). So if Buddy and Chan didnt deem any of these guys worthy then I have to trust their judgement.

Also, I'd like to see us get better on defense and better as a team before drafting a QB. A QB we draft has got a much better shot at succeeding on a better team w more talent around him when we finally do draft him....

No I am not upset that they are trying to fix a terrible defense, and as far as the first two picks, Dareus is a great pick and Williams is was also borderline first round talent. The ridiculous reach with the third round pick when Mallet was sitting right there for taking is what makes no sense. And for you info, any pick in the NFL Draft is an assessment, as picks at any draft spot and any position can and have be major busts or major superstars. You are 100% correct in that Fitz is a Stop Gap, which means short term, and with absolutely nobody to step when his short tenure is over. What happens if Fitz has a good year (last year may have been his best, but for conversations sakes), and he goes elsewhere for more money than Cheap Ralphy will pay him? There is no guarantee there will be a franchise tag, and anyone who would pay Fitz that much anyway is crazy. If he leaves then what do we do? Nobody with a brain can say Fitz is the long term answer with a straight face. I like Fitz but lets be a realist, we aren't going to challenge the Pats or Jets in the AFC East with him at the helm. I guess my point is, when you are one of the 3 or 4 worst teams in the NFL, you can't throw away picks just like you can't ignore a hole at the most important position on the team. There is no guarantee on a quarterback in the draft turning into the QB you need, but if you don't take one, you will never know. Kinda like you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a lottery ticket.

Obviously you are a Mallet fan. But, when you really think about it, dont you think if Mallet were the franchise QB you are portraying him as, that he would have went before the 3rd round? As we all know franchise QBs dont grow on trees, this kid obviously needed guidance and there is no doubting his talent, but there is a reason he fell so low in the draft. NE is a good place for him whee he can sit, learn, and hopefully get his head on straight for a few years. And for the record, I would have liked him with our 3rd over Sheppard, but can absolutely see why we stayed clear of him.

But to say he will beat us for a decade after Brady is gone, when he hasnt taken an NFL snap is a ridiculous statement at best.

Every Bills fan should welcome this pick by the Patriots. Billy B's tastelessness and lack of respect for his veteran QBs is well-documented. Remember how he did Bernie Kosar and Drew Bledsoe? We all know what is going to happen. He's going to get wowed by Mallet's big arm -- then start blaming everything that goes wrong on Tom Brady. Then he's going to start using the term "diminished skills" when describing Tommy Boy. This is the Belicheat MO. Then Mallet will get the starting nod. Mallet will alienate his teammates, and the Pats will begin their downward spiral.

Maybe pretty soon I'll start believing this myself.

Part desperation and even a bigger part that those teams realize you don't normally win without a franchise quarterback, and you especially don't win with a backup quarterback starting for you. The Bills just haven't figured that out yet.

Perhaps there is a difference between drafting backups in the first and drafting franchise QBs. You clearly don't see the difference. Your arguments are largely based not on logic but a deep bitterness. I am sure that Mallet has something for you to take the edge off.

No I am not upset that they are trying to fix a terrible defense, and as far as the first two picks, Dareus is a great pick and Williams is was also borderline first round talent. The ridiculous reach with the third round pick when Mallet was sitting right there for taking is what makes no sense. And for you info, any pick in the NFL Draft is an assessment, as picks at any draft spot and any position can and have be major busts or major superstars. You are 100% correct in that Fitz is a Stop Gap, which means short term, and with absolutely nobody to step when his short tenure is over. What happens if Fitz has a good year (last year may have been his best, but for conversations sakes), and he goes elsewhere for more money than Cheap Ralphy will pay him? There is no guarantee there will be a franchise tag, and anyone who would pay Fitz that much anyway is crazy. If he leaves then what do we do? Nobody with a brain can say Fitz is the long term answer with a straight face. I like Fitz but lets be a realist, we aren't going to challenge the Pats or Jets in the AFC East with him at the helm. I guess my point is, when you are one of the 3 or 4 worst teams in the NFL, you can't throw away picks just like you can't ignore a hole at the most important position on the team. There is no guarantee on a quarterback in the draft turning into the QB you need, but if you don't take one, you will never know. Kinda like you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a lottery ticket.

I am suprised you didnt use your usual "Ralph is cheap" rant earlier. I guess it was only a matter of time. I don't know why i let posters like you work me up so much. but you do. maybe I should learn to use the ignore button, but that would take out half the posters here.Bottom line here, as was the case last year when people were screaming for clausen(were u one of them?),he's not the franchise qb we are looking for. set your sights a little higher freak.

There are plenty of Posters in this thread that I respect a lot, so I'm not going to say too much...But I am surprised there is not more concern about Mallett's upside knowing who just Drafted him...Remember...Belichick was NOT a Bledslow guy...His mentor was...He's the one that would not re-insert him as the Starter when he was healthy, and of coarse the one that Traded Bledslow...Belichick CLEARLY sees something in Mallett if the reports are true and he had Mallett the #1 QB on their Board...No matter what you think about Mallett, I would be a bit concerned knowing BB likes him THAT much...I mean...Sure I hope Mallett totally sucks now...But I am worried longterm...It's not like Belichick has gone easy on us over the past decade or so... B-)

After a really good day, day two of the draft for the Bills has been more of last years garbage. With Mallet still available in the 3rd round, how do you pass him up? Now when Brady retires we will get our butts kicked by Mallet for a decade plus. Buddy and Co. dropped the ball in day two of the draft. I had very little confidence in our front office going into yesterday, but the pick of Dareus was actually a good pick, but what they gained in my book yesterday, the lost today. I am convinced we will always be a also-ran in the NFL. What happened to Ralph saying they were going to get a franchise QB? Did Buddy give him a pill and send him to bed? So frustrating. Very tired of losing but it isn't going to end anytime soon.

I know how he passes up on him, character issues. i don't even know why people expected us to grab him, he says he wants all high character players not coke heads.....

There are plenty of Posters in this thread that I respect a lot, so I'm not going to say too much...But I am surprised there is not more concern about Mallett's upside knowing who just Drafted him...Remember...Belichick was NOT a Bledslow guy...His mentor was...He's the one that would not re-insert him as the Starter when he was healthy, and of coarse the one that Traded Bledslow...Belichick CLEARLY sees something in Mallett if the reports are true and he had Mallett the #1 QB on their Board...No matter what you think about Mallett, I would be a bit concerned knowing BB likes him THAT much...I mean...Sure I hope Mallett totally sucks now...But I am worried longterm...It's not like Belichick has gone easy on us over the past decade or so... B-)

The day that our defense starts pushing their O-line around will be the day that their starting QB, regardless of whom that may be, becomes irrelevant.

EVERYTIME a QB is drafted, by any team, he was always the "top guy on their board"

Oh hey, the Bills just rebuilt and revamped a horrible, porous Defense that needed a huge personnel upgrade...

but somehow Billsfreak finds something to complain about. Strange!! :rolleyes:

We've used 3 picks, we have SIX (6) left. But why didnt we solve EVERY problem in those first 3 picks?!?!?

gtfo

Edited by DrDankenstein

After a really good day, day two of the draft for the Bills has been more of last years garbage. With Mallet still available in the 3rd round, how do you pass him up? Now when Brady retires we will get our butts kicked by Mallet for a decade plus. Buddy and Co. dropped the ball in day two of the draft. I had very little confidence in our front office going into yesterday, but the pick of Dareus was actually a good pick, but what they gained in my book yesterday, the lost today. I am convinced we will always be a also-ran in the NFL. What happened to Ralph saying they were going to get a franchise QB? Did Buddy give him a pill and send him to bed? So frustrating. Very tired of losing but it isn't going to end anytime soon.

I'm OK with that. Kyle Williams and Marcel Darius bust through NE's offensive line and simultaneously arrive on top of Brady with 600 plus pounds of weight and forward motion and drive him into the turf ending his ability to play for the rest of the day. Enter Mallet, who is chased all over the field for the remainder of the game. Buffalo wins 34 - 3. NE's streak ends and the Bills begin a new chapter in Bill's history. Oh and Fitz throws for 320 yards and 3 TDs.

Why does anyone here care what the pats do? I dont give a rats arse who they draft. Until we draft/sign more good players we are not going to beat them whether is Ryan Mallett or Ryan Leaf they draft. I guarantee the only time in the draft Buddy cares what they do is if they draft a player he covets....Im concerned with what we do!

Scenario A: Mallett backs up Brady for a yr or two, plays well when given oppty and gets traded for much higher picks a 3rd rounder (like Cassell)

Scenario B: Mallett backs up Brady for 2-3 years, plays well. NE trades Brady for several high picks (like Bledsoe)

Scenrio C: Mallett doesn't pan out and the Pats waste a 3rd round pick.

Basically a no lose proposition for the Pats. Once again they prove to be smarter thsn the rest of the league and totally piss me off.

Unfortunately I have to agree completely.

How many teams with a need for a QB passed on him. This is reminding me of the outrage last year with Clausen. Mallet has a lot to prove. He is lucky that he gets to sit for a while and has no pressure on him (as he would in Buffalo before he would in NE). In the end, he still is going to be slow and dumb.

Gil Brandt said on Sirius earlier that he would not take Mallet in the seventh round. Given the wide range in opinion about him, I just do not know how anyone can be so sure that Mallet is going to be great in the NFL. I think that it is more likely that he will be a bust. We will not know until he gets a chance to start. For our team right now, I have no problem with the Bills not picking him.

How many teams passed on Brady as well? As anyone with half a brain knows, you can never be sure if anyone is going to be great, a bust, or somewhere in between. But given the history of the Pats and the Bills, particularly when it comes to drafting, what team do you think most likely made the right decision?

It's called not worrying about what you can't control. The Bills can't run its draft worried about what the Pats are going to do. What I really love is how no one EVER questions Belichick's draft record. Everyone is in awe at how he trades his draft picks but no one asks why on earth they drafted 2 RBs or why they took an OT who wasn't even a 1st RD prospect. As for the draft picks all they did is push the same picks forward. When you have their record then I guess you've earned every benefit of the doubt but I don't think they've done dick in this draft, Mallett or not.

PTR

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: