All Newton all the time

RichardBag

Don't know if you guys have seen this but this is Cam speaking with Gruden. Gruden asks Cam to call a play and Cam freezes and goes on to talk about how he's used to the simplicity of Auburn's offense. You see his face when Gruden was calling out that play? This is what worries me about him.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6375220

I was just about to post this...very concerning

How any of his handlers let him show up on this is effing amazing. The guy is a effing moron.

He does look comfortable on the field but this is exactly what I was expecting to see once Gruden got ahold of him. Of course, Gruden will not give his opinion until after the draft or a few months later.

As Newton says, the play call at Auburn was "36" and they would go. Auburn's offense was all about fast pace and grinding. Gruden says it himself that they didn't huddle much. I'm not going to blame the kid for Auburn's offense or the way Chizik runs his team.

IMO, even MORE reason why we should draft a QB THIS YEAR, so he can sit behind Fitz and spend the year "learning French", as Gruden puts it. I'd also believe that not only could Gailey teach him, but also adapt his offense around Cam's strengths and weaknesses.

"But, but, but Mallet can come in and rattle off a bunch of words"

So what? Can he buy time behind a weak line? Can he be such a threat that the Defense has to assign a LB to spy on him, leaving the RB wide open?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As Newton says, the play call at Auburn was "36" and they would go. Auburn's offense was all about fast pace and grinding. Gruden says it himself that they didn't huddle much. I'm not going to blame the kid for Auburn's offense or the way Chizik runs his team.

IMO, even MORE reason why we should draft a QB THIS YEAR, so he can sit behind Fitz and spend the year "learning French", as Gruden puts it. I'd also believe that not only could Gailey teach him, but also adapt his offense around Cam's strengths and weaknesses.

"But, but, but Mallet can come in and rattle off a bunch of words"

So what? Can he buy time behind a weak line? Can he be such a threat that the Defense has to assign a LB to spy on him, leaving the RB wide open?

Wanna know why CJ struggled so much this year? Because they didnt huddle in college. He couldnt understand the plays so he struggled with his assaignments. Ability isnt enough. Especially at QB

If Cam doesnt understand what hes supposed to do hes not gonna play, Gailey has made that much clear. He prolly wouldnt even be the backup if he cant be relied on to be able to call a play in the huddle. At number 3 I'm not taking my third QB so we can try to teach him french for 3 years when we cant stop an old man with a walker

And Who said they wanted Mallet here? Personally I think they all suck and this class is extrememly overhyped

Wanna know why CJ struggled so much this year? Because they didnt huddle in college. He couldnt understand the plays so he struggled with his assaignments. Ability isnt enough. Especially at QB

If Cam doesnt understand what hes supposed to do hes not gonna play, Gailey has made that much clear. He prolly wouldnt even be the backup if he cant be relied on to be able to call a play in the huddle. At number 3 I'm not taking my third QB so we can try to teach him french for 3 years when we cant stop an old man with a walker

And Who said they wanted Mallet here? Personally I think they all suck and this class is extrememly overhyped

I dont completely disagree. Just pointing out that it's not because he "forgot" an entire playbook over 3 months.

Someone is going to have to teach the kid. IMO, there is NO ONE better in the entire NFL, and NO SPOT better for Cam Newton, than Chan Gailey and the Buffalo Bills.

You know I want DL as well. But if we do pick Newton, I'll be very excited to see what Gailey can do with him.

(also, I just used Mallet in there as an example. Throw in whatever QB name you want)

I dont completely disagree. Just pointing out that it's not because he "forgot" an entire playbook over 3 months.

Someone is going to have to teach the kid. IMO, there is NO ONE better in the entire NFL, and NO SPOT better for Cam Newton, than Chan Gailey and the Buffalo Bills.

You know I want DL as well. But if we do pick Newton, I'll be very excited to see what Gailey can do with him.

(also, I just used Mallet in there as an example. Throw in whatever QB name you want)

Fair enough but that concerns me way to much to give this kid 40 million in the hope we can teach him how to call a play. To be honest I would be more comfortable drafting Cam if Dickie J was our coach still. I could run that offense

There is just way to many things that worry me with Newton. The Laptop, getting kicked out of Florida, the play for pay, "entertainer and icon", and now he can't call a play? Even if only half of that is true its still concerning

He's big, strong and fast just isnt enough for me

Does it really surprise anybody that he doesn't understand the art of quarterbacking? But thank god he can run. :rolleyes:

This is such a dummy offense (yet effective) in terms of play calling and reads. It's mindblowing. Did he do anything at all that will translate well to the next level?

Edited by DreReed83

We couldn't agree more.

Love,

New England Patriots, New York Jets and Miami Dolphins.

We couldn't agree more.

Love,

New England Patriots, New York Jets and Miami Dolphins.

Except the Dolphins are supposedly high on him.

Which makes the AFC East look like this for the next 5 years:

Patriots: Tom Brady

Jets: Mark Sanchez

Dolphins: Cam Newton

Buffalo Bills: ?????

The only thing worse than drafting Newton, will be not drafting Newton and then watching him throw and RUN all over us TWICE a year for the next decade.

Except the Dolphins are supposedly high on him.

Which makes the AFC East look like this for the next 5 years:

Patriots: Tom Brady

Jets: Mark Sanchez

Dolphins: Cam Newton

Buffalo Bills: ?????

The only thing worse than drafting Newton, will be not drafting Newton and then watching him throw and RUN all over us TWICE a year for the next decade.

Can you really do all that stuff from the bench?

Edited by DreReed83

After reading that PFT article about the QB camp with Gruden, it confirms what many have speculated.

Newton has zero clue about offensive play calling. I wouldn’t touch this guy. Let someone else teach him to walk. I’m not waiting 3-5 years on the hope and dream that he can play QB. But, I can hear ole Ralph now….”draft for excitement, I need to sell tickets.”

Fair enough but that concerns me way to much to give this kid 40 million in the hope we can teach him how to call a play. To be honest I would be more comfortable drafting Cam if Dickie J was our coach still. I could run that offense

There is just way to many things that worry me with Newton. The Laptop, getting kicked out of Florida, the play for pay, "entertainer and icon", and now he can't call a play? Even if only half of that is true its still concerning

He's big, strong and fast just isnt enough for me

Thats a bit overboard dont you think? If you really think this team will draft Newton with that understanding you arent really informed on the Draft.

IF they draft him its because they are confident, from interviews and review of tape with him (from JuCo too) that him running a no huddle wont inhibit his growth at the next level.

The Gruden tape is evidence of nothing really and those relying on it solely to prove a point look foolish. That being said, the interviews with coaches, not made for tv, will truly show what this kid knows.

After reading that PFT article about the QB camp with Gruden, it confirms what many have speculated.

Newton has zero clue about offensive play calling. I wouldn’t touch this guy. Let someone else teach him to walk. I’m not waiting 3-5 years on the hope and dream that he can play QB. But, I can hear ole Ralph now….”draft for excitement, I need to sell tickets.”

It took you this long to realize all this?

Thats a bit overboard dont you think? If you really think this team will draft Newton with that understanding you arent really informed on the Draft.

IF they draft him its because they are confident, from interviews and review of tape with him (from JuCo too) that him running a no huddle wont inhibit his growth at the next level.

The Gruden tape is evidence of nothing really and those relying on it solely to prove a point look foolish. That being said, the interviews with coaches, not made for tv, will truly show what this kid knows.

Obviously, it was hyperbole. I am sure Hindsight, like all of us here, is into the draft and watches the clips, reads the articles and makes judgements and assessments based on all of those things. Of course it was overboard, but really, not by much. If you are going to be an "Icon and Entertainer" you'd better be prepared when the camera goes on, and in this case Newton was not ready. He is a very controversial figure in this draft for a myriad of reasons. The fact that he couldn't remember a single play from the Auburn offense and went on to say that all he had to do was look at a number on the sidelines is scary. If you know that on #36 you are supposed to fake a handoff and then run left and thats all you know...wow... I wouldn't want to give that guy $40 million either. Of course, if you have the deep pockets and are willing to sign away $40 million to some kid who has about as much chance of failing at his job as succeeding, please, go ahead and write that check good sir.

Obviously, it was hyperbole. I am sure Hindsight, like all of us here, is into the draft and watches the clips, reads the articles and makes judgements and assessments based on all of those things. Of course it was overboard, but really, not by much. If you are going to be an "Icon and Entertainer" you'd better be prepared when the camera goes on, and in this case Newton was not ready. He is a very controversial figure in this draft for a myriad of reasons. The fact that he couldn't remember a single play from the Auburn offense and went on to say that all he had to do was look at a number on the sidelines is scary. If you know that on #36 you are supposed to fake a handoff and then run left and thats all you know...wow... I wouldn't want to give that guy $40 million either. Of course, if you have the deep pockets and are willing to sign away $40 million to some kid who has about as much chance of failing at his job as succeeding, please, go ahead and write that check good sir.

Lets assume the bolded is true, is someone not named al davis going to pay the kid that money? nah. There is no way that offense was that simple. The kid might not be the next big thing but we are oversimplifying things here.

And sure there are plenty of legitimate concerns. But if he was really that football stupid, dont you think his stock would be dropping? He has interviewed with a number of teams, i havent seen one report saying he doesnt know his stuff. That carries more weight than a TV special.

Lets assume the bolded is true, is someone not named al davis going to pay the kid that money? nah. There is no way that offense was that simple. The kid might not be the next big thing but we are oversimplifying things here.

And sure there are plenty of legitimate concerns. But if he was really that football stupid, dont you think his stock would be dropping? He has interviewed with a number of teams, i havent seen one report saying he doesnt know his stuff. That carries more weight than a TV special.

It is that simple. Coach reads a number. He looks at his band of plays. THen he hikes the ball. Makes one read. If it's there, then throw it. If its not he runs it. Doesn't take a genius to run that offense.

Edited by DreReed83

It is that simple. Coach reads a number. He looks at his band of plays. THen he hikes the ball. Makes one read. If it's there, then throw it. If its not he runs it. Doesn't take a genius to run that offense.

I'm not saying it does, and its the knock on him. His offense wasnt complex. But he also played JuCo and had a year at Florida. NFL GMs have those tapes and can ask him about that.

But basing it on a Gruden interview where he couldnt name a play.......well he didnt call plays and they didnt have names they had numbers.

Again, there are no reports suggesting he lacks football IQ. Dont get me wrong not saying he's our guy but cmon

But if he was really that football stupid, dont you think his stock would be dropping? He has interviewed with a number of teams, i havent seen one report saying he doesnt know his stuff. That carries more weight than a TV special.

No one is saying that Newton is stupid.

The suggestion is that the system he "ran" at Auburn is so simple compared to an NFL playbook that the learning curve would be like asking someone who only knows simple arithmetic to learn calculus.

He was simply asked by Gruden to give an example of some "complicated verbiage" from his Auburn days. He could not produce a single example.

I'm not making a big deal out of it because I honestly don't know if it is a big deal.

On the other hand, one cannot pretend that it's not a potential issue either.

That's why the scouts interview him AND his coaches…you can be sure every team in the NFL knows what sort of system Auburn runs and what their terminology is.