With the 3rd pick in the 2011 draft...

Why is Von Miller a "luxury pick"? The Bills have zero starting-caliber OLBs. A pass rushing OLB is the

farthest thing from a luxury pick that I can imagine (IMHO).

We don't need a pass rushing OLB until we can force teams to pass.

Huh? Defense is all intertwined. I agree that the run defense is terrible, but don't LBs help

play run defense? I know Miller isn't 260lbs, but that does NOT mean that he can't play

the run at least reasonably well. In the Senior Bowl, I thought he was very effective against

the run using his athleticism to avoid blocks and still make the tackle. There is a reason

that many many folks say Miller was the best player at the Senior Bowl.

Why is Von Miller a "luxury pick"? The Bills have zero starting-caliber OLBs. A pass rushing OLB is the

farthest thing from a luxury pick that I can imagine (IMHO).

You dont understand. To most posters, anyone who isn't a 350 lb fat guy is a "luxury pick" :wallbash:

You dont understand. To most posters, anyone who isn't a 350 lb fat guy is a "luxury pick" :wallbash:

OK, thanks for the help. I get tired of these "Von Miller is Aaron Maybin because they weigh about

the same" posts. Miller has a lot bigger body of work than Maybin did, his combine numbers far

exceed Maybin's and he is far more athletic and productive. Maybin was a bad pick, but that doesn't

mean that all LBs who aren't 6'4" 260 are bad. Comparing Miller to Maybin based on their weight

is no more meaningful than comparing Cade McKnown or Matt Leinart to Steve Young because they

were all left-handed QBs.

BTW, I don't want to come across as all-Miller. I think Dareus would be a great pick, too. I am not

a Nick Fairley fan, though.

Huh? Defense is all intertwined. I agree that the run defense is terrible, but don't LBs help

play run defense? I know Miller isn't 260lbs, but that does NOT mean that he can't play

the run at least reasonably well. In the Senior Bowl, I thought he was very effective against

the run using his athleticism to avoid blocks and still make the tackle. There is a reason

that many many folks say Miller was the best player at the Senior Bowl.

Defense is intertwined, but until this team can stop the run they can use all the picks they like on pass rushing LBs and DBs and it won't matter. Teams abused the Bills D in 2010. Teams toyed with the Bills D in 2010. Teams did what they pleased against the Bills D in 2010 because this team could not stop the run. I too watched the Senior Bowl and I wasn't impressed. I saw a player who didn't pursue plays not coming at him. I saw a player who was neutalized against the run. I know he got rave reviews for the Sr. Bowl and I know that he is rated up at the top 3+- of this draft, but my eyes told me a different story. I did watch several of his games this past season and I don't see a multi-dimensional player. I don't see someone who will have an immediate impact in 2011. I realize that I'm missing something but I can only go with what I saw.

Or, I'm right. (and Ramius, if I'm right you'll hear about it often, just like I will if you're correct)

I do think that he'll be the pick so I hope like hell that I'm wrong.

Defense is intertwined, but until this team can stop the run they can use all the picks they like on pass rushing LBs and DBs and it won't matter. Teams abused the Bills D in 2010. Teams toyed with the Bills D in 2010. Teams did what they pleased against the Bills D in 2010 because this team could not stop the run. I too watched the Senior Bowl and I wasn't impressed. I saw a player who didn't pursue plays not coming at him. I saw a player who was neutalized against the run. I know he got rave reviews for the Sr. Bowl and I know that he is rated up at the top 3+- of this draft, but my eyes told me a different story. I did watch several of his games this past season and I don't see a multi-dimensional player. I don't see someone who will have an immediate impact in 2011. I realize that I'm missing something but I can only go with what I saw.

Or, I'm right. (and Ramius, if I'm right you'll hear about it often, just like I will if you're correct)

I do think that he'll be the pick so I hope like hell that I'm wrong.

The NFL is a passing league, and the Bills were near last in the league in sacks. We had no one that could get to and harass the QB consistently. Taking Von Miller is only going to help the defense, the same as with taking Dareus or Jordan.

I don't think we can go wrong with any of those guys. I simply don't see why Miller is viewed as such a disaster by such a vocal minority.

The NFL is a passing league, and the Bills were near last in the league in sacks. We had no one that could get to and harass the QB consistently. Taking Von Miller is only going to help the defense, the same as with taking Dareus or Jordan.

I don't think we can go wrong with any of those guys. I simply don't see why Miller is viewed as such a disaster by such a vocal minority.

A passing league? Maybe, but if you get the ball run down your throat time after time it really doesn't matter.

I've actually been very reserved (I think).

Not a disaster to me, but not what they need to be immediately better as a unit.

The season Von Miller got 17 sacks the Texas A & M defense was ranked 105 in the nation in defense.

I expect a similar impact if drafted by the Bills.

Best case he gets 10 sacks and teams still get 200 Yards rushing on the Bills.

That's why its a luxury pick, you draft a speed rusher with #3 overall pick after you have both lines built.

If he were capable of playing in the NFL which is in doubt imo, teams could dedicate a LT and RB\TE to block him because, guess what, the D-Line sucks.

Luxury Pick all the way.

This is the #3 overall pick, you can get a OLB in the 3rd or 4th. Taking Von Miller with #3 overall would be a classic Buffalo Bills draft screw up. The fact you can see it happening a mile way gives me some hope that it may not happen.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Green is possible but not probable. Miller may be who they pick but I'd rather have a DT here like Dareus or Fairley. I believe Miller will be a very good player and if we do pick him at #3 then we'd better make dang sure the rest of our picks are solid, since we need a DE, DT, ROT, LOT, TE, and yes, a QB for the future and not necessarily in that particular order.

I do not believe a QB at #3 is wise for the Bills because neither of the choices will be ready or actually needed to start for at least a year or two and a #3 pick should be able to contribute right away if we're going to pay them big bucks (Miller has a good chance to do this as does Dareus and maybe a couple of other picks). That is why so many are sick about Maybin. We gave him a big contract and used a first round pick on him and he hasn't produced at all for the Bills, and there have been others too.

Don't be surprised to see Green or Peterson at #3 if they consider them BPA.

I'm hoping we can trade down and get some picks and still maybe get Bowers, Fairley (who I think still has a chance to be picked at #3), Quinn, or Jordan at a lower price. Not likely a trade will happen, but I'm still hopeful there's a chance.

I think we need to draft someone that will do better than Dwan Edwards's 1 sack. We need DE's and #3 is a great place to get one. I think Dareous should be the pick unless he goes 1st or 2nd. I don't think we need a $50+ million wide receiver.

Tell that to Rex Ryan. Did you watch the last 4 games against the Jets? I'm all for a guy who appears to be the 2nd coming of Derrick Thomas, however posters are right in asking how can he dramatically improve our run d? Dareus would be a much better pick at this conjucture.

A.J. GREEN! :thumbsup:

Watch!

For my money I would select Marcell Dareus DT who is very versatile and has a much stronger anchor than the thin framed Nick Fairley. The good thing with Dareus is that he could easily be employed in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense or a hybird offshoot of both.

The biggest weakness of the Bills is the inability to stop, or even slow down the run game. This is not inside knowledge or anything and has been widely documented as far as the Bills atrocious run defense. They need a wide body plug that also has the ability to chase down the QB, and apply pressure while getting the occasional sack. Dareus is fully capable of all of this and is the prototypical size needed at the positon, unlike Von Miller who is highly talented but slightly undersized even though he is strong and fast and a sack machine.

To me the most complete player that measures up with the Bills needs is Dareus. I do not feel that the Bills should be spending a first round pick on a WR in most any draft. WR's often are available in Free Agency or 4th round or below. You can often pickup a undrafted freeagent WR like we did after our last draft, and that has seemed to work out very well for us!

Many WR's drafted in the 4th round or lower have done quite well in the NFL and like several of the posters have mentioned, this is not a positon of great need. It's always great to stockpile talented WR's, but we first have to concentrate on our severe inabilities before we can build depth at positions of strength.

If Marcell Dareus is already selected then my considerations would switch to either the QB route or Fairley or Von Miller and that is it! I personally rather wait until the 2nd round to select Colin Kaepernick QB who set a major NCAA record in being the only collegiate QB ever!! to throw for 10,000 yards and run for another 4,ooo yards in his collegiate career! He has perhaps the strongest arm in the draft along with Mallett and Locker, and has a lot of intangibles to boot!

I think the next choice I would strongly consider would be Von Miller if Marcell Dareus is gone! Pass on the QB (pardon the pun)....Consider Fairly, but probably avoid that route as he is a red flag bull matador!

So you selected A.J. Green..... I will select Marcell Dareus DT...and my Alternate in case he is gone is Von Miller OLB.

I'll bet you..unless (Chan Gailey pushes hard for either Newton or Gabbert..) It will be one of the two..and I'd bet the ranch no matter what it will not be A.J. Green.

Edited by tonyjustbcuz

Aside from Dareus, there isn't a lineman worthy of the 3rd overall pick. Unless you have a hard on for Fairley there's no other fat guy you can pick at 3 to stop the run.

I think we need to draft someone that will do better than Dwan Edwards's 1 sack. We need DE's and #3 is a great place to get one. I think Dareous should be the pick unless he goes 1st or 2nd. I don't think we need a $50+ million wide receiver.

Yeah, I agree with you that we need a defensive player and Marcell Dareus would be the selection in my opinion at DT. He has the size, speed, experience, and ability to stop the run and also cause havoc for the opposing offensive line and QB.

I don't think you will have to worry about the Bills drafting Green with the 3rd pick. I think that it's one of the most proposterous opinions I have seen lately. I think sometimes people just jump on here after reading someone else's mock and unfortuantely they don't know football all that well. I mean a top WR does add excitement to an offense and possibly an extra win here or there..but in the grand scheme QB, and the Offensive and defensive lines are what good teams are composed of. New England is a prime example as they will release or trade WR's with little regard and pick up a free agent to plug in and have great success with that methodology.

Marcell Dareus will likely be gone, but if available he is my pick! Alternate pick would be Von Miller OLB.. :thumbsup: