Will The Panthers Really draft Newton?

Does Carolina Draft Cam Newton No. 1?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Does Carolina Draft Cam Newton No. 1?

It certainly seems that all the gurus and experts agree that Cam Newton is the man for the Panthers Thursday night. I'm not convinced - and I'm wondering how many of us out here think like me, that the Panthers won't spend their number one pick on a guy with so many question marks, and instead draft one of the more solid defensive guys rated so high this year?

It certainly seems that all the gurus and experts agree that Cam Newton is the man for the Panthers Thursday night. I'm not convinced - and I'm wondering how many of us out here think like me, that the Panthers won't spend their number one pick on a guy with so many question marks, and instead draft one of the more solid defensive guys rated so high this year?

It's a toss up right now as far as Carolina will go. The Bills board is Newton, Dareus, Miller, so it will be 1 of the 3 we get depending on whom the Panthers and Broncos take.

It's a toss up right now as far as Carolina will go. The Bills board is Newton, Dareus, Miller, so it will be 1 of the 3 we get depending on whom the Panthers and Broncos take.

You state the Bills board as it is fact. Do you KNOW something the rest of us don't? Personally, I don't think Newton is at the top. Guess we'll find out in 4 days.

The best opinion I read on this topic deals with the pressure the panthers feel with such quality qbs in division ... Ryan, brees, freeman -and the feeling of need to have someone to build around. I also read that Rivera was is sold on his talent and thinks he can be developed into a top-flight qb.

They have no cinfidence that any of the QBs on their team can win forget being a franchise QB. I can see them making this move and would like to see it since I am not convinced I want his name on board when Bills pick.

I have little doubt that the Panthers will take Nick Fairley with their first pick.

Worst avatar I have ever seen

I don't see the Panthers saddling a defensive minded coach with the Cam Newton project. They will either get a weapon for Clausen (Green) or play to Rivera's strength and get a starter on the defense in Dareus or Peterson. The Panthers line and secondary have holes, so either would fit right away.

Usually around this time of year, we start hearing reports that the team with the #1 pick is ready to start negotiating a contract with who they are going to be selecting. Seeing as how we the NFL is locked out now, we will have no idea who Carolina is going to select unless reports start trickling out.

You never know what to believe around draft time, with all the smoke screens teams put up because they don't want to show their hands. Most years, the first round pick would already have agreed to a contract or be close to agreeing with the team drafting first, but with no CBA they can't do that this year. Common sense would say that since the Panthers have something like 7 QBs (one a 2nd rounder last year)on their roster already, and have more holes than swiss cheese, they wouldn't take a QB #1 overall. I do get the feeing though that if Newton is available at #3 for the Bills he is coming to Buffalo, whether fans like it or not, I think Gailey and Nix are high on this guy. At the same time, their affection for Gabbert, my gut feeling is one of those draft smoke screens, and that if Newton isn't there they are going to go defense and try to get a QB in the second round, possibly Ponder.

Edited by billsfreak

I've been saying since mid-January that Newton is a lock for the #1 overall pick, and I've seen absolutely nothing that convinces me otherwise.

My guess is that the only reason we aren't 100% sure is that Carolina can't sign him to a contract prior to the draft sans CBA.

If it's anyone other than Newton at #1 overall, I'll eat a shoe; not just any shoe, my workout shoes.

I've been saying since mid-January that Newton is a lock for the #1 overall pick, and I've seen absolutely nothing that convinces me otherwise.

My guess is that the only reason we aren't 100% sure is that Carolina can't sign him to a contract prior to the draft sans CBA.

If it's anyone other than Newton at #1 overall, I'll eat a shoe; not just any shoe, my workout shoes.

put that on You Tube....it will go viral.

another unflattering comment on Cam:

Former NFL defensive tackle Chris Hovan, who played for the Bucs during Gruden’s time there as head coach, was present for the filming (Gruden/Newton).

“I mean, if you look at all the top flight quarterbacks, the Peyton Mannings and Tom Brady, they are so systematic when they play football,” Hovan told WQYK, via JoeBucsFan.com. “They know how to read coverages. The first and second audible or the third audible, where to go when the defense presents looks to them. And I don’t feel in a pressure situation that Cam can make those checks right now. If he was under Jon Gruden, if Jon Gruden was his head coach, he would definitely red shirt. If you are going to put him out there — first of all, Carolina’s offensive line, they pretty much only have Jordan Gross right now. He’s a left tackle and was drafted in the first round. If you put him in there with a suspect offensive line you are going to get the kid killed. Yeah, he can run . . . . but you can only run for so long. They are going to hunt this kid down. I don’t feel he is ready for the NFL level yet. Does he have the intangibles? Athletically, yes he does. But this is just a complex game when you go to the NFL level, especially at the quarterback position. You have to be ready to make those checks at the line of scrimmage. I don’t feel like he is ready for that yet.”

http://profootballta...n-film-session/

another unflattering comment on Cam:

Former NFL defensive tackle Chris Hovan, who played for the Bucs during Gruden’s time there as head coach, was present for the filming (Gruden/Newton).

“I mean, if you look at all the top flight quarterbacks, the Peyton Mannings and Tom Brady, they are so systematic when they play football,” Hovan told WQYK, via JoeBucsFan.com. “They know how to read coverages. The first and second audible or the third audible, where to go when the defense presents looks to them. And I don’t feel in a pressure situation that Cam can make those checks right now. If he was under Jon Gruden, if Jon Gruden was his head coach, he would definitely red shirt. If you are going to put him out there — first of all, Carolina’s offensive line, they pretty much only have Jordan Gross right now. He’s a left tackle and was drafted in the first round. If you put him in there with a suspect offensive line you are going to get the kid killed. Yeah, he can run . . . . but you can only run for so long. They are going to hunt this kid down. I don’t feel he is ready for the NFL level yet. Does he have the intangibles? Athletically, yes he does. But this is just a complex game when you go to the NFL level, especially at the quarterback position. You have to be ready to make those checks at the line of scrimmage. I don’t feel like he is ready for that yet.”

http://profootballta...n-film-session/

This is ridiculous. No QB prospect is completely ready to step in and read defenses like Brady, Manning and Brees do after years of NFL experience on great teams. Brady, Manning and Brees were not ready to do it when they came out of college either. Brady was passed over 198 times in the draft because teams thought he could not play in NFL. Manning went 1-15 in his rookie year. So what? It's not about whether they can step in and be Pro-bowl caliber immediately. It's about determining whther or not they can do it at some point down the road. I have no idea of Newton (or any of the other prospects) can do it but to say they should not be picked because they are not as good as Manning, Brady and Brees right now is downright idiotic.