Music City Miracle

Cam

It's one example of Wilson meddling. But that's hardly proof that "Wilson meddles," given the infinite other opportunities he's had to do so, yet we've only heard about two (and again, even if Ralph forced the Lynch pick, it was probably a better pick than what Jauron and Levy were thinking). Flutie's play was poor that season (5th worst in completion percentage, equal number of TD's and turnovers), the team was winning game thanks to the run and a great defense, and again, RJ left the field with the lead, only to see the ST's lose the game for the team.

you truly believe an owner who makes the call for starting qb for a rare playoff game over the wishes of his coach would have any concerns about trumping the experts (gm and coaches) on draft choices? just ridiculous. in regards to flutie and the game, you and wilson obviously know better than the last bills coach to get us to the playoffs or the #1 receiver on that team.

it took a long time for those two instances to become public and even they weren't widely disseminated. does that surprise you? If there are 32 employers in your field, you try not to alienate one of the senior, "hof" owners. it's just common sense.

Edited by birdog1960

The Bills franchise misfortunes are a paradox waiting to happen.

For example: If you build a time machine to go back in time to prevent a tragedy from occuring, something else will bad will happen in order for your time machine to exist.

If the Bills had started Doug Flutie in lieu of Flop Johnson, something else would have occurred that day to prevent them from winning, like an int return for a touchdown in the final minutes of a doug flutie comeback attempt, or like the year before when Eric Moulds fumbling on a sure touchdown in Miami(that's what the world saw, I saw something else happen, I have a time mahcine) so I speak from experience here.

No matter what this team does, they will always be just what we thought they were until someone else owns them.

someone very wise once said "If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got"

I still love watching them though.

:wallbash:

you truly believe an owner who makes the call for starting qb for a rare playoff game over the wishes of his coach would have any concerns about trumping the experts (gm and coaches) on draft choices? just ridiculous. in regards to flutie and the game, you and wilson obviously know better than the last bills coach to get us to the playoffs or the #1 receiver on that team.

it took a long time for those two instances to become public and even they weren't widely disseminated. does that surprise you? If there are 32 employers in your field, you try not to alienate one of the senior, "hof" owners. it's just common sense.

What do you consider "a long time," doc? Lynch was drafted in 2007. It's barely 4 years later. And the stuff about Wilson telling Phillips to start RJ came out about the same number of years later. How many years have passed since Polian, AJ Smith, TD, Phillips, Williams, and Mularkey have been around? Yet the most you've heard is that Ralph allegedly forced Levy and Jauron, who everyone has to admit were horrible drafters, to take a guy who actually made the Pro Bowl (which while a joke, is still a lot more than can be said about their other picks), and started RJ who left the game with the lead?

The real question should be, what if Daryl Porter stayed in his lane like he was instructed to do.

I am by no means a RJ, I didn't like him while he was here, he was a pompous ass in person, but this is one game I will not scrutinize him for. He led the Bills into scoring position and took the lead with seconds left on the clock. I don't care if Ray Charles was my QB, if he made sure we had a lead with seconds left on the clock, I am not blaming him for the loss.

He gave up an easy safety which a smart Doug Flutie wouldn't have

:worthy:

Although your take is a tad "dated", it is outstanding none the less. Flutie led the Bills to a 10-5-0 record during the '99 season and then all of a sudden Wade decided to "rest" him for the last regular season game against the Colts at home. Sure enough, with nothing to play for and zero pressure on him, Robby played lights out and Phillips stupidly decided to start him against the Titans. Now, to be fair, we all know Johnson did enough to upset the Titans that day, and the play were he scrambled without his shoe and made a great pass to set up the "winning" field goal was outstanding.

But after that game is where your take really makes good sense. You know why? Because Doug Flutie was the starting QB for the San Diego Chargers during Drew Brees's rookie season, and most likely ended up being a good mentor to him that first year in the NFL. Obviously, had the idiot Donahoe done kept Flutie over Johnson he could have actually drafted Brees himself for the Bills and Flutie could have mentored Drew during his rookie season with the Buffalo Bills!!

Flutie didn't carry anything in 1999. He rode the back of one of the top defenses in the league to the playoffs. The Bills made the playoffs in spite of Flutie, not because him.

I agree that Flutie was one of the smartest, if not THE smartest QBs we ever had. I think he'd make a helluva living as an OC somewhere but this continued romanticizing of his time with the Bills isn't healthy. He had his history making moments with the Bills but the turnover machine that was Flutie in 1999 may well have fumbled in the endzone for a TD instead of the safety and he may just as easily have thrown a pic six given how badly he played that year.

GO BILLS!!!

What do you consider "a long time," doc? Lynch was drafted in 2007. It's barely 4 years later. And the stuff about Wilson telling Phillips to start RJ came out about the same number of years later. How many years have passed since Polian, AJ Smith, TD, Phillips, Williams, and Mularkey have been around? Yet the most you've heard is that Ralph allegedly forced Levy and Jauron, who everyone has to admit were horrible drafters, to take a guy who actually made the Pro Bowl (which while a joke, is still a lot more than can be said about their other picks), and started RJ who left the game with the lead?

all but 1 of the guys mentioned are still in the league (and seemingly happy to be elsewhere). i doubt their current owners would appreciate them dissing wilson and they know that. why else would it take 4+ years, for stories that made the coaches involved look foolish, to come out?

overruling the head coach over a starting qb is the epitome of micromanagement. by implication, wilson has been very involved in football decisions. the lynch pick is just another example that supports this contention. and i can't imagine even you saying this was a good pick based on the outcome. pro bowl or not, the bills had miserable seasons with him on the roster, had much more pressing needs and saw his value plummet to a 4th rounder in his time here. strong work, wilson. it seems you"re content with this kind of stuff continuing (and it very likely will) but i truly can't fathom why.

Edited by birdog1960

I know you probably don't wanna hear this but what do you all think would've happened if we had played Flutie over RoJo in this game? Personally I think the Bills would have had a larger lead and would've won that game and probably started Flutie for another couple of years giving them time to find another franchise QB. But just like Jeff Garcia, Flutie got made a backup again and again when we all know he's a solid and sound NFL QB.

i don't remember the game, but it sounds like it was exciting. what happened?

This didn't really have anything to do with smarts, it had to do with getting the snap. This was only one of several botched snaps in the first half. This is pre season/week 1 type problems of the Center/QB getting it together.

Flutie had this down because he had been playing all year.

It WAS the pivotal play of the game. Titans got their only TD of the game after getting good field position due to the ensuing Punt off.

Edited by reddogblitz

all the guys mentioned are still in the league (and seemingly happy to be elsewhere). i doubt their current owners would appreciate them dissing wilson and they know that. why else would it take 4+ years, for stories that made the coaches involved look foolish, to come out?

overruling the head coach over a starting qb is the epitome of micromanagement. by implication, wilson has been very involved in football decisions. the lynch pick is just another example that supports this contention. and i can't imagine even you saying this was a good pick based on the outcome. pro bowl or not, the bills had miserable seasons with him on the roster, had much more pressing needs and saw his value plummet to a 4th rounder in his time here. strong work, wilson. it seems you"re content with this kind of stuff continuing (and it very likely will) but i truly can't fathom why.

Look, you can believe what you want. But if the best you can come up with is 2 examples where Wilson was more right than wrong (Lynch was the 2nd best pick of the 2 year Levy/Jauron error, regardless of how things ended with Lynch, while the Bills would have won that playoff game had the ST's done their job), while claiming that all the other stuff has been kept hush-hush for fear of "dissing" Wilson, you don't have much to support your contention.

This didn't really have anything to do with smarts, it had to do with getting the snap. This was only one of several botched snaps in the first half. This is pre season/week 1 type problems of the Center/QB getting it together.

Flutie had this down because he had been playing all year.

It WAS the pivotal play of the game. Titans got their only TD of the game after getting good field position due to the ensuing Punt off.

How many fumbled snaps were there in the Colts season-ender?