ILB Martez Wilson or QB Ponder in RD2?

Astrobot

76 members have voted

1. 1. ILB Martez Wilson or QB Ponder in RD2?

• ILB Martez Wilson
    • QB Christian Ponder

I have the results of this evening's DraftTek Mock in front of me.

We will take Von Miller in RD1, but two names at RD2 are so close it's really a vote.

If Miller is picked in RD1, who would you prefer in RD2?

I'm no where near as high on Wilson as some...The neck injury is one reason, he plays a bit out of control at times, and the Kid has some off-the-field question marks...I'm not saying I would not take him...But definitely not at the top of the 2nd Round...If the Bills pass on a QB at #3 they better take one at #34...And it shocks me that any Bills Fan would choose to pass on Ponder in this scenario knowing our QB situation...No back-up QB (and please don't give me the Levi Brown crap)...Fitz's deal is up after 2011...How can you not take a QB here? You counting on Seneca Wallace or Matt Leinart? Maybe we can bring Todd Collins back? :doh:

I would be really happy with Miller/Wilson at 3 and 34, hopefully this will strengthen our LB core but we also need a space eater in that front seven to let these guys be special. As for the qb debate, i personally, wouldnt be surprised to see tyler thigpen signed to back up fitz and id be even less surprised to see fitz get a new deal (one or two years) if he has a season comparable to last year. Then the FO tackles the qb of the future in next years draft.

JMO... however it shakes out GO BILLS!!!

Martez Wilson!, who I full expect not to make it out of the first round...

I'm no where near as high on Wilson as some...The neck injury is one reason, he plays a bit out of control at times, and the Kid has some off-the-field question marks...I'm not saying I would not take him...But definitely not at the top of the 2nd Round...If the Bills pass on a QB at #3 they better take one at #34...And it shocks me that any Bills Fan would choose to pass on Ponder in this scenario knowing our QB situation...No back-up QB (and please don't give me the Levi Brown crap)...Fitz's deal is up after 2011...How can you not take a QB here? You counting on Seneca Wallace or Matt Leinart? Maybe we can bring Todd Collins back? :doh:

by giving fitz a contract extension?

The video I've seen of Wilson is not bad.

Like Akeem Ayers, he's an outstanding athlete.

But to me he doesn't appear to be super instinctive or physical. Narrow-hipped, and more effective when the play is run away from him than at him...no Patrick Willis or Jerrod Mayo.

Wilson's not a big, physical thumper. But he is an incredible athlete and may be better suited as an outside linebacker. He plays very well in space and has the athleticism to develop into a nice edge rusher and a top cover linebacker.

Here's his scouting report, not all of which I agree with…along with three games…against Missouri, Michigan, and Ohio State. You can see against Michigan he gets a lot more snaps at outside linebacker and looks very natural out there.

http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-report-martez-wilson

Remember when watching these videos that you CANNOT evaluate the other players on the video like Blaine Gabbert or Corey Liuget.

As the defenders of Robert Quinn asserted in this topic: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/129072-i-found-some-tape-of-quinn-austin/, because these are Martez Wilson highlight videos, other players cannot be evaluated from them. In complying with "The Quinn Rule," please disregard the play of Blaine Gabbert and Corey Liuget (or any other player on the field other than Martez Wilson) when watching these videos.

As an athlete, there are few equals to Wilson, however I have a friend who went to Illinois and is a huge fan of the football team, he told me Wilson was nothing special...great athletes, don't always make great linebackers. If the neck injury questions scare teams away and he by miracle falls into the third...YES.

I do think Miller will be the Bills #3 pick if he doesn't go to Carolina or Denver, but I really hope Ponder is a smoke screen for the Bills and that they go Brooks Reed, Mallett, Kaep, or someone like Phil Taylor at #34 who slips out of the 1st round just because some other positions get hot as the predominant picks.

I am not a Ponder expert but I just haven't seen or read anything of him that makes him my pick at #34.

Brooks Reed is a beast, Mallett and Kaep are, IMO, better risks at QB, and I think Phil Taylor is a steal at #34 as a pure, big 3-4 nose guard\tackle if he doesn't go in the 1st round or we don't get Dareus at #3.

Martez Wilson was the choice given so I picked him, but he would be my pick after the others I just mentioned.

I also think Carolina or Denver could easily go with Miller at 1 or 2 so if that happens, who the Bills will pick at 3 will be anybody's guess at that point.

They should just give Fitz the keys. Build the defense up. By the time the defense is stable, then make a decision on QB. By the time the defense becomes a dominate unit, the coach, GM, and owner will know if Fitz is "the guy".

Edited by Kevin

I'd go VY.

I don't care for Wilson and I am lukewarm on Ponder. I think there is a good chance that at least one of Kyle Rudolph, Phil Taylor, Miles Austin, Heyward, Dalton, Sheard will be available and I prefer all to Ponder in the second

I'd go VY.

Fair enough...I think, minus the meltdown factor of coarse, he would be a heck of a good fit for Gailey to mentor...Sit behind Fitz for a year and see what happens...Plus you have a Vet #2...But that meltdown factor is a HUGE factor... B-)

They should just give Fitz the keys. Build the defense up. By the time the defense is stable, then make a decision on QB. By the time the defense becomes a dominate unit, the coach, GM, and owner will know if Fitz is "the guy".

They already know if Fitz is the guy or not, and they said no. They have said numerous times that they need to find "the guy" who can lead this franchise for the next 10 years. And Fitz is only 28 and young enough to be able to lead this team for the next 10 years...so clearly they don't think he is the guy.

Here is where a lot of people are disconnecting. In the vast majority of cases, a young QB needs time to develop. So we cant wait until the rest of the team is in place to start developing a QB. More often than not, a teams window at its peak is 3 years because various ages of your players, FA, injuries, and trades. Sure, great teams can extend that window when you have FA's lining up to play for you, they draft consistently strong, etc. Well we are not that team...we won't have the luxury of spending 2 years putting all the other pieces in place, then grabbing a QB after that to spend 2 or 3 years developing before we start making serious runs...you are now talking 4 or 5 years down the road as it will take at least 2 drafts to fill the other holes (assuming we actually have strong drafts both times) followed by developing a QB after that for the next 2 or 3 years.

You got to take the QB early in the rebuilding process so when the team is primed for a major run you have the right guy leading that ship. A great QB can turn a team around faster than any other player at any other position, and it's not even close. A sub par or bad QB can also keep teams from being able to get over the hump no matter how talented the rest of the team is. There are exceptions, but I don't like banking on exceptions as they are exceptions because they are rare.

I like Martez. If he is rated as the best Ilb in the draft, why not take him? All these guys have flaws, but that's what coaching is for.

If we take Von Miller or Marcel D. I still like MW at #34. The only exception is Phil Taylor at #34 if we take VM at#3.

So we would have two of the best lbs in the draft, if we go VM, MW. There are a lot of big nasties in the draft to grab in round 3 and down.

Now as for Qb, I really feel if we don't take one at #3, then don't take one at all! And yes I am bringing up Levi to play back up. Otherwise, why is he on the roster? On the other hand, we can go get a vet.

Defensive draft... take advantage of it I say. If we're still rebuilding, grab a qb next year. Its a surplus of defensive talent and that's the way we should go. Maybe a rt or te, but for the most part all D!!

Check out Drafttek. It gives a good idea of big nasties from round 3 and down. Credit to Astrobot. But either way we'll see come Thursday.

THE NATION RISES!!

Well it obviously depends on what we do in the first. But I like Wilson, I've heard critics say that hes not the most agile player and may even fall to the third round so I don't want us to reach. If we can get a stud in another position then lets wait and see whos left in the third for the ILBs.

Edited by bills1960

I think Ponder might be picked. but i would be disappointed as i am all defense right now. and a right tackle. and maybe a tight end. But between the two choices i would be pleased with Mr. Wilson. I think he has alot of upside.

Oh joy! B-)

lol..listen, just give Fitz an entire preseason and season as the QB and lets see what happens. Even the most anti-Fitz individual has to admit that he had a pretty solid season last year statistically, and his grit/personality are certainly positive as well.

I don't see a peyton manning or aaron rodgers anywhere in this draft, so i don't know what the big deal is about not taking a QB this year..and it's not as if we're set at other positions. QB is not this team's primary weakness.