Romeus or Sheard

Surprised that nobodies mentioned these 2 guys (unless I completely missed it), but I wouldn't be surprised if we took Gabbert with our first pick, took someone like Marvin Austin in the 2nd and Romeus or Sheard in the 3rd. Considering that Wannstedt knows these guys better than anyone, I wouldn't be surprised to see us drafting one of them.

I'd watch out for Greg Romeus and Jabaal Sheard in the 3rd round.

Jabaal Sheard - 6-3" 264 lbs 4.69 40, 5.5 sacks in 08, 5 sacks in 09 and 9 sacks in 2010. Big East defensive player of the year in 2010. Charged with felony aggravated assault, criminal mischief and resisting arrest when he through a guy through a glass door. BUT, he was awarded a bravery medal for helping an old lady escape from a burning building in Florida.

Greg Romeus - 6'5" 264 lbs, 4.85 40, 4.5 sacks in 07, 7.5 in 08 and 8.5 in 09.

These guys are definately guys we'll be looking at in round 3.

PS. I hate Cam Newton. :thumbsup:

both look like excellent special teams candidates with that size and speed. we need some nasties.

Who wouldn't want someone that throws guys into glass doors? :unsure:

And yes, Romeus was out 2010 with a torn ACL, but if all systems are go, I'd be up for it.

Edited by DreReed83

Sheard is an exceptional talent. I've posted about him a few times over the past week and like I said earlier, he's flying under the radar for some reason.

In all the debate about pass rushers, not many people are focusing on the 2nd tier players except for Brooks Reed, Akeem Ayers and Justin Houston (there's also been very little discussion about Aldon Smith who is VERY close to, if not better than Robert Quinn in the first tier).

Sheard is right there with Reed, Ayers and Houston. I doubt very much that he slides into the 3rd round. Sheard could actually be drafted in the first round and I personally like him more than the other three.

Here's a scouting report and video from 3 games.

http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-report-jabaal-sheard

Sheard played defensive end and had average anchor ability as a DE. As an oversized linebacker that wouldn't be an issue. Yes he had the incident where he assaulted a man…on the other hand as Dre pointed out, he also received a citation for bravery for saving a woman from a burning house.

Sheard also was elected captain by his teammates and showed toughness in playing through injuries and starting 38 straight games. He might not be a choir boy but he has that toughness and football temperament that scouts and coaches love.

Sheard is an exceptional talent. I've posted about him a few times over the past week and like I said earlier, he's flying under the radar for some reason.

In all the debate about pass rushers, not many people are focusing on the 2nd tier players except for Brooks Reed, Akeem Ayers and Justin Houston (there's also been very little discussion about Aldon Smith who is VERY close to, if not better than Robert Quinn in the first tier).

Sheard is right there with Reed, Ayers and Houston. I doubt very much that he slides into the 3rd round. Sheard could actually be drafted in the first round and I personally like him more than the other three.

Sheard played defensive end and had average anchor ability as a DE. As an oversized linebacker that wouldn't be an issue. Yes he had the incident where he assaulted a man…on the other hand as Dre pointed out, he also received a citation for bravery for saving a woman from a burning house.

Sheard also was elected captain by his teammates and showed toughness in playing through injuries and starting 38 straight games. He might not be a choir boy but he has that toughness and football temperament that scouts and coaches love.

Sold. Good chance he does go in the first. I bet he goes higher then projected and that teams are keeping quiet about Sheard for a reason. Me personally- I would love to see us draft Miller and Sheard and terrorize QB's. And in a perfect world, Maybin learns to bring it too. In my Bills dream they pummel Brady like the Giants did in the Superbowl.

Another great scenerio is the trade down and get Sheard. Our #1 biggest need IMO is a pass rusher. And it don't matter if we get it at pick 3 or late in the 1st. And the more the merrier

I'm with San Jose on Sheard. As I've said before, I think he's a first-round talent, but he won't go that high--teams will find it difficult to look past the violent crime. It'd be one thing if he just got in a fight, but this is bad:

According to the police report, several police officers tried to break up the scuffle, Sheard, who was reportedly being hit by police batons, picked up Parker and threw the 27-year-old through a glass door of a gallery.

Sheard jumped on the bleeding Parker, who was on the ground inside the art store, and continued punching him before police subdued the two with pepper spray.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/18/1576115/pitt-defensive-end-jabaal-sheard-arrested

That said, I think he'll go mid round 2.

Romeus on the other hand is a guy who's going to slip on draft weekend. He had 1st-2nd round potential coming off his Sohpomore year, but he was very inconsistent as a Junior and had the torn ACL as a Senior. My best guess for Romeus is 4th round at the earliest, but more likely 5th-6th round.

PS. I hate Cam Newton. :thumbsup:

I don't think you'll have much to worry about...I'm in Charlotte, and at this point I think it's going to be a shock to this City if they don't take Newton #1 Overall...It seems to be a forgone conclusion... B-)

I'm with San Jose on Sheard. As I've said before, I think he's a first-round talent, but he won't go that high--teams will find it difficult to look past the violent crime. It'd be one thing if he just got in a fight, but this is bad:

According to the police report, several police officers tried to break up the scuffle, Sheard, who was reportedly being hit by police batons, picked up Parker and threw the 27-year-old through a glass door of a gallery.

Sheard jumped on the bleeding Parker, who was on the ground inside the art store, and continued punching him before police subdued the two with pepper spray.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/18/1576115/pitt-defensive-end-jabaal-sheard-arrested

That said, I think he'll go mid round 2.

Romeus on the other hand is a guy who's going to slip on draft weekend. He had 1st-2nd round potential coming off his Sohpomore year, but he was very inconsistent as a Junior and had the torn ACL as a Senior. My best guess for Romeus is 4th round at the earliest, but more likely 5th-6th round.

now that is something

I don't think you'll have much to worry about...I'm in Charlotte, and at this point I think it's going to be a shock to this City if they don't take Newton #1 Overall...It seems to be a forgone conclusion... B-)

That seems to be the overwhelming opinion at this point. That raises an important question, however, as the Panthers drafted Jimmy "the ostrich" Clausen with their first pick last year. Would Cam be the starting QB for week one, or would he ride the pine until the Panthers lose a few games? Was Clausen's performance last season a good indication of his ability to be a successful QB in the NFL?

Great evaluation. I too, think sheard has a good chance to go in the 1st. I'd be happy with him in the 2nd (depending on who we pass on) and giddy if we got him In the 3rd

That seems to be the overwhelming opinion at this point. That raises an important question, however, as the Panthers drafted Jimmy "the ostrich" Clausen with their first pick last year. Would Cam be the starting QB for week one, or would he ride the pine until the Panthers lose a few games? Was Clausen's performance last season a good indication of his ability to be a successful QB in the NFL?

According to The Senator, Clausen is actually more closely related to an Emu. And I believe that The Senator is an amateur ornithologist.

I remember OC posting something about drafting a QB every year and in fact, some teams have a policy of drafting a QB every year. I think it's a good policy.

There's been numerous examples of teams with more than one highly-drafted QB on the roster and as often as not (if not more often) that second QB becomes attractive trade bait.

I actually like Levi Brown and thought he showed quite well in the last exhibition against Detroit last year. But I still think the Bills should pick up a QB somewhere along the way…especially as Gailey/Cortez are above-average QB gurus.