Great article

Hey, what do you think of the $600,000 annual pension for the Illinois school administrator?

I think that sounds ridiculous. I said earlier that States need to look at Superintendents make as well. Some are pulling in salaries they don't match their district.

Edited by pBills

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I say after 30 years MD teachers were making less than $42k/year? Umm no. Go back and read Tom. And by the way it was from MCEA.

Are you !@#$ing kidding me????

$17,484. is the current average annual pension benefit for retirees in the Maryland Teachers’ Pension System. After 30 years of service in Maryland’s schools, that amounts to less than $1,500 a month.

And in case you missed it...

$17,484. is the current average annual pension benefit for retirees in the Maryland Teachers’ Pension System. After 30 years of service in Maryland’s schools, that amounts to less than $1,500 a month.

From here on out...

I would like for people to tell me what they think a fair salary is for a teacher with 25 years service.

Nothing. I'm a better teacher than most with 25 years experience, and that's how much I make for it.

I think $35k is fair for a pension.

So after 25 years of service in your mind their pension should only be $35k. Wow, how very kind of you. If that is the case I guess we should reduce the size of their classes and make sure they don't pay for supplies out of their own pocket and hell give them a longer summer break.

From here on out...

I would like for people to tell me what they think a fair salary is for a teacher with 25 years service.

well lets see I have been in my field 23 years I get $28/hr. I work 2080 hours/year for a total of $58240.

Google tells me that teachers work around 190 days/year at 7 hours/day that = 1330 hours. I'll give them 25% more for having to get their masters degrees so $35 x 1330 = $46550

So after 25 years of service in your mind their pension should only be $35k. Wow, how very kind of you. If that is the case I guess we should reduce the size of their classes and make sure they don't pay for supplies out of their own pocket and hell give them a longer summer break.

You are really, really good at being played. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

well lets see I have been in my field 23 years I get $28/hr. I work 2080 hours/year for a total of $58240.

Google tells me that teachers work around 190 days/year at 7 hours/day that = 1330 hours. I'll give them 25% more for having to get their masters degrees so $35 x 1330 = $46550

Are you taking in account the additional nights and weekends? May I ask what you do?

Are you taking in account the additional nights and weekends? May I ask what you do?

On that note I call bull ****, I know plenty of teachers, and the ones that have to put in the extra hours have to because of their own defiencies, not because of the work load.

I work for a company that builds/rebuilds subway cars. I am what they used to call a drafter, but now it is all done on computer with specialized software.

Edited by Gary M

My mother and sister are both teachers, and neither has ever had to work additional nights and weekends.

They routinely nail themselves to cross and claim they deserve executive pay for having a degree in education, which is about as hard to get as a degree from Hamburger U, but never nights and weekends. If they need extra cash they can bring in a pretty decent sum tutoring.

And please explain to me why teachers of all people, are expected to catch a free ride after only 25 years of occupying class room space?

Edited by Rob's House

My mother and sister are both teachers, and neither has ever had to work additional nights and weekends.

And please explain to me why teachers of all people, are expected to catch a free ride after only 25 years of occupying class room space?

Becuase "its for the children", silly.

He's being kind. I think it should be zero. Give them social security like everyone else and allow them to contribute to their 403b and IRA plans like the rest of us. Why the special treatment. Pension plans are pretty much gone in the private sector. Ever wonder why?

So only teachers work nights and weekends?