Great article

I guess just horribly mistaken then.

Horribly... keep in mind the average salary also depends on State / District and Cost of Living in that area. Example: Oklahoma would be roughly half of what those in California make. You want to save money, look at what Superintendents make. Average

In my State, Maryland.. they make a TON!!!

Starting Salary: $37,125

Average Salary: $54,333

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defense NEEDS to be cut if they are seriously going to change anything. Personally, I do not believe in the Paul Ryan idea of lowering taxes especially if the tax loopholes will be left open. And let's face it, even if they close most of loop holes those with the means will find ways around them. So then what? Just keep them the same?

The point with defense is, even if you cut 1/3 of the defense budget, you're not taking that big a chunk out of the budget deficit. How about repealing the medicare drug benefit, disolving the department of education, repealing Obamacare, reforming ssa by increasing benefit age and perhaps means testing so it's insurance instead of a retirement plan.

And then implement a flat tax with no loop holes so everyone has a stake in tax rates, government doesn't get to pick winners and losers or give tax "incentives" for behavior politicians decide is desirable, and you expand the tax base you're collecting from.

There, budget problem solved. Go me.

Edited by Rob's House

Horribly... keep in mind the average salary also depends on State / District and Cost of Living in that area. Example: Oklahoma would be roughly half of what those in California make. You want to save money, look at what Superintendents make. Average

A) A $37K STARTING SALARY is about SEVEN TO TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS PER YEAR MORE than the average private sector worker with a similar education.

B) Whats the median income in Maryland? And be sure to tack on at least 25K PER YEAR for benefits.

C) Whats the top out salary? if 40 is the starting, and 55 is the average, whats the top? $70? So 70K plus another 25 in bennies......and you get.....approx. 100K in salary and benefits.

Thanks for playing. You lose.

Edited by RkFast

The point with defense is, even if you cut 1/3 of the defense budget, you're not taking that big a chunk out of the budget deficit. How about repealing the medicare drug benefit, disolving the department of education, repealing Obamacare, reforming ssa by increasing benefit age and perhaps means testing so it's insurance instead of a retirement plan.

And then implement a flat tax with no loop holes so everyone has a stake in tax rates, government doesn't get to pick winners and losers or give tax "incentives" for behavior politicians decide is desirable, and you expand the tax base you're collecting from.

There, budget problem solved. Go me.

Either way, but we still need to take away 1/3 or maybe 1/4 of the defense budget. Dissolving the Department of Education... I would like to hear the pros and cons on that. Medicare Drug Benefit, I can see altering it so that the system can use it's purchasing power to keep the rates down.

I worry about Repealing Obama's Healthcare Plan and Increasing the Social Security Retirement Age. Healthcare, I would rather make amendments to it than HOPE it would ever come to light again. And with the history from both sides of the aisle when taking this on... that would be a long shot. Social Security Retirement Age... altering Social Security a bit. No problem. Problem I have with raising the age is that with many professions the workers bodies just can't hold up until 68 or 70 years old.

A) A $37K STARTING SALARY is about SEVEN TO TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS PER YEAR MORE than the average private sector worker with a similar education.

B) Whats the median income in Maryland? And be sure to tack on at least 25K PER YEAR for benefits.

C) Whats the top out salary? if 40 is the starting, and 55 is the average, whats the top? $70? So 70K plus another 25 in bennies......and you get.....approx. 100K in salary and benefits.

Thanks for playing. You lose.

So after a lifetime of service to make $70k is way to much?

$17,484. is the current average annual pension benefit for retirees in the Maryland Teachers’ Pension System. After 30 years of service in Maryland’s schools, that amounts to less than $1,500 a month.

$17,484. is the current average annual pension benefit for retirees in the Maryland Teachers' Pension System. After 30 years of service in Maryland's schools, that amounts to less than $1,500 a month.

The average social security check is about $1200 per month. What's your point?

And how many teachers does the State of Maryland employ?

Either way, but we still need to take away 1/3 or maybe 1/4 of the defense budget. Dissolving the Department of Education... I would like to hear the pros and cons on that. Medicare Drug Benefit, I can see altering it so that the system can use it's purchasing power to keep the rates down.

I worry about Repealing Obama's Healthcare Plan and Increasing the Social Security Retirement Age. Healthcare, I would rather make amendments to it than HOPE it would ever come to light again. And with the history from both sides of the aisle when taking this on... that would be a long shot. Social Security Retirement Age... altering Social Security a bit. No problem. Problem I have with raising the age is that with many professions the workers bodies just can't hold up until 68 or 70 years old.

$17,484. is the current average annual pension benefit for retirees in the Maryland Teachers’ Pension System. After 30 years of service in Maryland’s schools, that amounts to less than $1,500 a month.

+ their 401(k) (like everyone in private sector)

+ their health/medical/dental for life

After 30 years of service, no teacher in MD is getting less than $42k/year. That's from the MSEA's site. Even the MSEA says you're full of ****.

From the Montgomery County Education Association - take it or leave it... up to you.

In 2002, when the markets were hitting new heights, the General Assembly voted to cut back on its annual contributions to the pension plan by approving “corridor funding”. (The legislature did this to partially offset the cost of a statewide tax cut). Just as it was a serious mistake in 2002 for the state to cut its contributions during a bull market, it would be a mistake to slash benefits due to a bear market. Pension plan assets are invested for the long haul, and the legislature shouldn’t make hasty decisions based on short-term market performance.

Want to learn more? The General Assembly’s Dept. of Legislative Services has produce a number of informative background papers that have been presented to the state’s “Public Employees’ and Retirees’ Benefit Sustainability Commission. You can find all the working papers at http://mlis.state.md.us/other/BenefitsSustainabilityCommission/index.htm .

To answer the question of sustainability, we must first understand how we got here:

• In 2000, the Maryland State Teachers Retirement and Pension Fund was fully funded, largely due to investment gains in a strong market.

• In 2002, the legislature voted to partially offset the cost of a statewide tax cut by changing the funding formula for the pension plan. The state's contribution rates were frozen at FY2000 levels as long as funded status was between 90% and 110%. That's the "corridor". And if the funding status fell below 90%, the state only had to increase its annual contribution by 1/5 of the shortfall each year – allowing the underfunding to continue to accelerate .

In the subsequent eight years, several things have happened:

• 'Corridor funding' decreased the amount that the state government put into the pension plan each year.

• In 2006, the legislature voted to improve the pension plan’s benefits; moving the Maryland plan from one of the worst in the nation to the national average. Participants increased their annual contribution to the plan from 2% to 5% of salary.

• The recession caused a massive drop in both the value of the plan's assets and its annual investment income - as was true for every other investment fund in the nation. Reports indicate that the losses in investment income and value due to the recession account for 85% of the current shortfall.

Just as it was ill-advised for the legislature to approve the “corridor funding” rule in 2002 on the heels of a bull market, it would be ill-advised in 2010 to slash plan benefits on the heels of the most recent bear market.

After 30 years of service, no teacher in MD is getting less than $42k/year. That's from the MSEA's site. Even the MSEA says you're full of ****.

Did I say after 30 years MD teachers were making less than $42k/year? Umm no. Go back and read Tom. And by the way it was from MCEA.

Edited by pBills

But what you put forther above is NOT what Ryan proposed. Never once was it ever even implied that the lowering of the tax rate would NOT be married with closing of tax loopholes and simplification of the tax code. Not once.

You dont "lie"....you "make up stuff."

Lowering taxes is not the focus of his plan, that's the spin. He raises the issue more as a 'while we're at it we'll fix the tax code.'

As you point out, Tax Reform is explicitely intended to be revenue neutral in Ryan's plan, with lower rates a by-product. Specifically: simplify the code, get rid of all the deductions, and lower the rates to compensate.

Took care of themselves? Jesus Christ... so teachers make to little, they aren't taking care of themselves because they live pay check to pay check and may need help at times OR it's teachers make to much they should pay more for their benefits and pensions because they have SOO much in life. Which is it?

Fact of the matter is that SOME professions do not make a lot of money (ie: teachers) and if they do over years and years of service you and others will scold them for it.

You know what I did when I found myself living paycheck to paycheck and in need of financial help at times?

Cut my expenditures and got a better-paying job.

Mind-blowing, I know....

$17,484. is the current average annual pension benefit for retirees in the Maryland Teachers' Pension System. After 30 years of service in Maryland's schools, that amounts to less than $1,500 a month.

I never said they make "too much."

I said YOUR claim that they "dont make a lot" is bogus.

You know what I did when I found myself living paycheck to paycheck and in need of financial help at times?

Cut my expenditures and got a better-paying job.

Mind-blowing, I know....

And good for you... does that mean everyone can do that? No.

Hey, what do you think of the $600,000 annual pension for the Illinois school administrator?