Great article

“I didn’t go into this to become rich,” Jim Embree said, flipping grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner as he stood in the cluttered kitchen of the family’s split-level home in Galloway, a western suburb of Columbus. “I am not rich. It’s just that the benefits reward longevity.”

“No matter how it turns out, my profession is going to have a black eye for a long time, and that hurts,” Jim Embree said. “So many people believe that I earn a six-figure income and can retire at 40. It seems like they’re calling into question why we’re doing the job. We’re not going to sound like we’re poor. But we’ve been doing this for 25 years. We’re 50 years old. I think I make enough to live on. And I think that’s the way it should be.” Read more

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dy Embree earns $63,000. Under current rules, she is eligible to retire in five years, at age 54, after 30 years on the job. Upon retirement, she will be paid about 66 percent of her wages.

Jim Embree earns $70,700. He is eligible to retire in two years, at age 50, after 25 years on the job. He will take home 60 percent of his retiring salary.

Maybe the people paying these salaries (i.e. private sector workers) don't so much mind the salaries as they do funding this duo to the tune of $84k a yr from their early 50s on, to sit on their asses, while they themselves have to provide for their own retirement.

Kids go trick or treating in firemen’s costumes,” Jim Embree, 48, said. “Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts come and take tours and sit in the truck and blow the horn. People talk to you in the grocery store. I’m used to positive interactions with people. So it shocked me. To hear people speak in a public venue like I’m a Rockefeller . . . it shocked me"

What's even better than "But think of the children!"?

"But think of the children's Halloween costumes!"

Spectacular article. :lol:

. I think I make enough to live on. And I think that's the way it should be." Read more

FOR HIM. And thats fine. But HIS financial vision and goals are not mine. Nor yours. Nor anyone else's.

Im glad this guy is happy. But hes not me. And where *I* live (and by that I dont mean a specific neighborhood..... I mean the whole !@#$ing REGION) $71,000 K per year barely affords you a decent RENTAL apartment.

And guess what else......school budgets are being cut and the teachers? Refusing to accept a pay adjustment and the districts are once again forced to cut kid's programs.

Then the same teachers...with their guaranteed FREE bennies, and pensions, and three months off a year and YEARLY COLA raises....and tenure.....cry "victim."

Cute.

Edited by RkFast

Maybe the people paying these salaries (i.e. private sector workers) don't so much mind the salaries as they do funding this duo to the tune of $84k a yr from their early 50s on, to sit on their asses, while they themselves have to provide for their own retirement.

yeah, I guess a good pension is a bit much after 25 years of public service. :wallbash:

FOR HIM. And thats fine. But HIS financial vision and goals are not mine. Nor yours. Nor anyone else's.

Im glad this guy is happy. But hes not me. And where *I* live (and by that I dont mean a specific neighborhood..... I mean the whole !@#$ing REGION) $71,000 K per year barely affords you a decent RENTAL apartment.

And guess what else......school budgets are being cut and the teachers? Refusing to accept a pay adjustment and the districts are once again forced to cut kid's programs.

Then the same teachers...with their guaranteed FREE bennies, and pensions, and three months off a year and YEARLY COLA raises....and tenure.....cry "victim."

Cute.

Wrong many teachers ARE excepting concessions and offering to pay more towards benefits and pensions. If you are truly worried about funding children's programs, I am sure you can do some digging on what can be changed in policy that can bring spending down. Which of course, could save some of the programs. Easy solution.. just blame someone.

Easy solution.. just blame someone.

Like rich people and corporations?

Practice what ya preach, please.

And I dont BLAME teachers. I BLAME their unions. I know plenty of teachers that work their asses off and are dedicated to their kids. Im !@#$ing MARRIED TO ONE. She commutes 40 miles a day to the WORST part of NYC to teach 17 year old gang bangers (in 8th grade!!!) how to read and when shes done they call her "cracker B word." And thats when the school is not on lockdown becuase there is word on the street a drive-by might take place when the bell rings.

But thats not what bothers her.

You know what does?

The Board of Ed and UFT bull **** she has to contend with on a daily that outright PREVENTS her from doing right by those kids 9 times out of 10.

So stop....youre barking up the wrong tree.

Edited by RkFast

:cry: Such a sad, sad story.

We only make $120k and will only get $75k at retirement and they live in Ohio. Boohoo. Guess what, that's more than we'll get from social security but we'll be just fine seeing we've saved a lot on our own. And many of those years where we saved we made about what they made and live in CA which is probably twice as expensive. The challenge is they are allowed to retire so early and with life expectancies rising it's going to cost the taxpayer a hell of a lot to fund that 30-40 year retirement.

:cry: Such a sad, sad story.

We only make $120k and will only get $75k at retirement and they live in Ohio. Boohoo. Guess what, that's more than we'll get from social security but we'll be just fine seeing we've saved a lot on our own. And many of those years where we saved we made about what they made and live in CA which is probably twice as expensive. The challenge is they are allowed to retire so early and with life expectancies rising it's going to cost the taxpayer a hell of a lot to fund that 30-40 year retirement.

I do love how people are in this it's all about me attitude.

It's ok for a fireman to put his life on the line for 25 years, but to have a decent retirement... then it's F you. Real nice people, real nice.

Sure, but they're also not paying for my retirement.

Your retirement is solely funded by you?

I do love how people are in this it's all about me attitude.

It's ok for a fireman to put his life on the line for 25 years, but to have a decent retirement... then it's F you. Real nice people, real nice.

So give that fireman his pension and !@#$ the state and !@#$ the taxpayers who foot the tax bill and can no longer afford the houses those same firemen are dedicating to "saving" in the event of a fire.

Real nice, pbills....real nice.

yeah, I guess a good pension is a bit much after 25 years of public service. :wallbash:

Wrong many teachers ARE excepting concessions and offering to pay more towards benefits and pensions. If you are truly worried about funding children's programs, I am sure you can do some digging on what can be changed in policy that can bring spending down. Which of course, could save some of the programs. Easy solution.. just blame someone.

So, they are against concessions?

So, they are against concessions?

Really what a dumb question. What person in their right mind would want to just give up something they worked hard for unless it will be better for the future of their profession.

Really what a dumb question. What person in their right mind would want to just give up something they worked hard for unless it will be better for the future of their profession.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You don't even get it, do you? What a stupid !@#$ing ass you are.

@Pbills, on a tangent I thought this was amusing Remember when teachers

Exactly. It's easy to simply vilify a group of people than dig deeper or understand what truly caused the economic disaster we're in. See Ms. Suzy over there, the 4th grade teacher... it's all her fault!!!

Here's a few more.... Here's some of the people on this board A couple more I like.... Merit Pay and CEO Pay

@Pbills, on a tangent I thought this was amusing Remember when teachers

I remember when the same leftists who subscribe to this train of thought were instrumental in bringing the government into an incestuous relationship called a GSE that played a major role in distorting the markets by providing artificially high supplies of capital for mortgages to high risk borrowers (all in the name of affordable housing because, who are you to say these people don't deserve these mortgages), and gave an out to the evil doers (i.e. "Wall Street") by then buying up high risk mortgages on the back end thus giving an incentive for lenders to give loans that would not have been economically viable otherwise, and then quickly sell them off on the secondary market. I also remember when the **** hit the fan and all those things NPR, unions, etc. didn't cause got mindlessly attributed to some guy named "Coprorate Greed".

Edited by Rob's House

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You don't even get it, do you? What a stupid !@#$ing ass you are.

You are a moron. You were clearly going to go after the unions by saying stupid crap like "See the unions are against reform and concessions"

I love people like you, acting as though you are brilliant... when in reality (you know, away from this message board and Faux News) you are sitting in your parents basement playing video games.