RD2: Brooks Reed

Astrobot

Intensity is infectious, or so the Bills hope with the fiery, versatile Reed. The attitude of newbies Reed, Coleman, and Merriman (and Fairley—see RD1) will hearken back to Biscuit and Talley days. Reed‘s size, explosion (10-yd split is faster than all DE’s, Moch, or Miller), and agility lets him be an elite sack-artist or an inside run defender at either OLB or ILB. His outstanding leverage causes matchup problems going after QB’s; he’s unblockable with a RB or TE. He reminds us of Defensive Player of the Year Clay Matthews—just with a faster explosion at the snap.

Intensity is infectious, or so the Bills hope with the fiery, versatile Reed. The attitude of newbies Reed, Coleman, and Merriman (and Fairley—see RD1) will hearken back to Biscuit and Talley days. Reed‘s size, explosion (10-yd split is faster than all DE’s, Moch, or Miller), and agility lets him be an elite sack-artist or an inside run defender at either OLB or ILB. His outstanding leverage causes matchup problems going after QB’s; he’s unblockable with a RB or TE. He reminds us of Defensive Player of the Year Clay Matthews—just with a faster explosion at the snap.

Why is everyone projecting him as a second rounder as opposed to a top 10 pick?

Reviews seem a little mixed on him....no one has him going in even the top 20, but I think he'll be great. To me he's like cushing or matthews, a guy that looks great in college, who people just underrate / discount. I don't think there's any chance he's there for the Bills in the 2nd, so I wouldn't hate the idea of them packaging their 2nd and one of their 4s to move up a little and get him.

I like Brooks Reed and read that the Bills really like him too. He would be a great pick in the 2nd IMO. I would be ok if we took Miller and Reed with our first two picks. That would do wonders for our defense! I also like the scenario someone posed where we trade down in first, draft JJ Watt, Brooks Reed, and Kyle Rudolph

IF you believe Nix (big if), he likes the OLB's on the squad better than the ILB position, especially with Poz as yet unsigned for a contract extension.

Here's how OLB Reed and ILB Martez Wilson fall to us at #34:

1 23 Philadelphia Jimmy Smith CB Colorado P1Grab -6 Reach

1 24 New Orleans Aldon Smith DE43 Missouri P2 7 Value

1 25 Seattle Brandon Harris CB Miami (FL) P3O 5 Value

1 26 Baltimore Leonard Hankerson WRF Miami (FL) P3R -16 Reach

1 27 Atlanta Nate Solder LOT Colorado P3O 0 Value

1 28 New England Muhammad Wilkerson DE34 Temple P2 6 Value

1 29 Chicago Stefen Wisniewski OC Penn State P2Grab 4 Value

1 30 NY Jets Jabaal Sheard OLB34 Pittsburgh P2Grab -18 Reach

1 31 Pittsburgh Davon House CB New Mexico State P3R -8 Reach

1 32 Green Bay Jason Pinkston LOT Pittsburgh P3 -5 Reach

2 33 New England Mark Ingram RBF Alabama P3Grab 14 Value

2 34 Buffalo Martez Wilson SILB Illinois P2 4 Value

2 35 Cincinnati Christian Ponder QB Florida State P1 -15 Reach

2 36 Denver Stephen Paea DT43 Oregon State P3 10 Value

2 37 Cleveland Brooks Reed OLB34 Arizona P9Grab -7 Reach

2 38 Arizona Aaron Williams CB Texas P2 -7 Reach

2 39 Tennessee Mason Foster OLB43 Washington P3O 4 Value

To me Reed is very stiff and has limited athleticsm. I think this is going to hurt him on draft day. I would be supiresed if he goes in the top 40.

is there any linebacker you like? We are running the 3-4 and in desperate need of LB's and it seems like you rip every LB in the draft

is there any linebacker you like? We are running the 3-4 and in desperate need of LB's and it seems like you rip every LB in the draft

I like Brooks Reed a lot actually, I would be pumped if we added him. But I still think there will be a player at another position who is better than him. I was just talking about his draft status. Like alst year, Spikes ran a 17 second 40 and he dropped like a rock. I still thought he was a great player and would have loved to draft him regardless, but that 40 hurt his stock, just like how I feel Reed will be hurt. He will get drafted, and go on to start and play well for some team regardless.

I like the *idea* of Quinn, but havent seen him play so I am hesitant to endorse him too much. Havent seen Ayeers either. I like Herzlich a lot as a late round prospect inside. Sheppard will prob he a reach at our 2nd round pick but gone at our 3rd. He is good and I like him thoguh. Houston is solid too but not great, he tends to be great one plan, invisible the next. I think we will add a few late round guys again this year.

This is just not a good year for LBs, what do you want me to say? This is a DL and OL draft. Its weak at LB, especailly rush LBs. Its weak at QB. Its deep at DB, but we should focus on that early IMO. I think we could add a starting DL, start OL, starting ILB in 3 of the first 4 rounds easily.

Edited by Thoner7

I like Brooks Reed a lot actually, I would be pumped if we added him. But I still think there will be a player at another position who is better than him. I was just talking about his draft status. Like alst year, Spikes ran a 17 second 40 and he dropped like a rock. I still thought he was a great player and would have loved to draft him regardless, but that 40 hurt his stock, just like how I feel Reed will be hurt. He will get drafted, and go on to start and play well for some team regardless.

I like the *idea* of Quinn, but havent seen him play so I am hesitant to endorse him too much. Havent seen Ayeers either. I like Herzlich a lot as a late round prospect inside. Sheppard will prob he a reach at our 2nd round pick but gone at our 3rd. He is good and I like him thoguh. Houston is solid too but not great, he tends to be great one plan, invisible the next. I think we will add a few late round guys again this year.

This is just not a good year for LBs, what do you want me to say? This is a DL and OL draft. Its weak at LB, especailly rush LBs. Its weak at QB. Its deep at DB, but we should focus on that early IMO. I think we could add a starting DL, start OL, starting ILB in 3 of the first 4 rounds easily.

Fair enough. I agree with you about DL and OL part of the draft. That is why I am partial to Miller in the first. I know we have vastly different opinions about Miller. But if we are targeting OLB, there is big drop off after Miller/Quinn IMO. My Bills draft board would be Dareous 1, Miller 2.

We agree about Reed. Can you imagine if we ended up with JJ Watt and Brooks Reed? Our D would be flying around the field pummeling people! That D would be kinetic and violent. It has been awhile

Is it really deep at OL? I thought that there were very few tackles who projected as top picks, unlike prior years when you normally have 2-3 OT going in the top 10. Do you guys mean Rd 2-3 type prospects?

This draft is pretty solid for buff, and Brooks reed could be a great pickup. Regardless of first, as thoner said I'd like reed and herzlich a lot. I think there are a solid handful of guys that could make for tough choices cause they fit needs well at 3, 34 and beyond. I think it's fair to criticize aspects of these guys play- there's clearly no perfect prospects in this years draft, but a lot of potentially great fits for our squad. I'll be honest though, I see few gimmes for success as opposed to some years. A lot of boom bust guys.

I think Sheard from Pitt will be the pick in RD 2. I like Reed but feel that Wannstedt will push for Sheard, same position as Reed,just more familiarity.

Sheard will be a FS, Reed is most likely a pass-rushing 3-4 OLB who can bring it inside as well. This type of player won't be available later on.

Is it really deep at OL? I thought that there were very few tackles who projected as top picks, unlike prior years when you normally have 2-3 OT going in the top 10. Do you guys mean Rd 2-3 type prospects?

Yes. I think at 34, we could been drafting the 2nd or 3rd best T in the entire draft (sherrod or Ijelana perhaps?). Its of my opinion that Solder and Costanzo both stink, but I fully believe they will go in the 1st round, along with Carimi (the best T) and Smith (did you guys know Smith only player RT in college? weird).

Sheard will be a FS, Reed is most likely a pass-rushing 3-4 OLB who can bring it inside as well. This type of player won't be available later on.

isnt he like 6'4'', 270? Played LDE? I dont think he will make a great LB but FS!?!?!

Hit the nail on the head astro. Could be our Bryce Paup too (ah, miss that guy, to bad he had that groin injury and mental burnout, could have been HOFer). Anyway here's to getting Reed :thumbsup: .

I like Brooks Reed and read that the Bills really like him too. He would be a great pick in the 2nd IMO. I would be ok if we took Miller and Reed with our first two picks. That would do wonders for our defense! I also like the scenario someone posed where we trade down in first, draft JJ Watt, Brooks Reed, and Kyle Rudolph

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: