Failed City Detroit grovels for bailout

Detroit deserves bailout 'at least' as big as GM

Did I actually just read that? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Uh.....what exactly does that ignoramus think was being bailed out two years ago??

Detroit: The ultimate shining example of the result of left wing politics and labor unions running completely unchecked.

"It was this city that built military vehicles for World War II. It was this city that (invented) the middle class and the five-day work week."

And it was your city that let unions take over, leaving you with a wasteland so desolate that your last resort is to beg the government to give you a fix.

"C'mon, Johnny, you know I'm good for it. I just need a little something to get me to Thursday, and then I'll be clean. You'll see."

Weird, I though a big part of Detroit's atrophy was related to America's inability to make better cars than the Japanese.

It is all intertwined. Americans also make perfectly good Japanese cars in South Carolina & Alabama.

Weird, I though a big part of Detroit's atrophy was related to America's inability to make better cars than the Japanese.

because their disproptionatly high labor/benefit/pension expenses to the UAW. Detroit had to devote a larger % of their capital to pay the unions/democrat money launderers instead of putting it into quality R&D and production.

weird huh?

because their disproptionatly high labor/benefit/pension expenses to the UAW. Detroit had to devote a larger % of their capital to pay the unions/democrat money launderers instead of putting it into quality R&D and production.

weird huh?

No, because we were making really really ****ty cars.

Both answers are right. They were making crappy cars because there was little incentive to revamp production to make better cars and as long as Americans were buying SUVs, Detroit kept on kicking the can down the road.

agreed. but what was the root cause for making poopy cars?

the unions and their additional expenses compared to the Japanese didn't have to pay. The Japanese put their money into R&D and building quality. Detroit paid union pensions and healthcare plans....

No it was the inability to be forward thinking and innovative. They relied on the old standard for so long that when the Japanese passed them, they didn't know what to do. It's kind of like when the tech bubble burst. Had the silicon valley been resting on its laurels for decades when that bubble burst you can be pretty certain that San Jose and the surrounding areas would look a lot like Detroit. But because they were still in innovation mode when the bubble burst it was just a blip in the road for that region's prosperity.

agreed. but what was the root cause for making poopy cars?

the unions and their additional expenses compared to the Japanese didn't have to pay. The Japanese put their money into R&D and building quality. Detroit paid union pensions and healthcare plans....

Right, it was ALL about R&D $$$, because everything is just that simple. :rolleyes:

Damned Auto Unions!

Right, it was ALL about R&D $$$, because everything is just that simple. :rolleyes:

Damned Auto Unions!

I heard once that at some point in the 90s someone asked a top executive at Cadillac if they'd analyzed the Lexus vehicles that were eating their proverbial lunch. It wasn't until then that they got a Lexus and disassembled it to see what innovations they were competing with.

This was told outside the context of anything union related, but it's just an "I been told" anecdote, so take it for what it's worth, but I can't help but wonder if the engineers weren't enjoying the disconnect between performance and job security/compensation only found in union and government jobs, if they might not have gotten around to that sooner.

Edited by Rob's House

"It was this city that built military vehicles for World War II. It was this city that (invented) the middle class and the five-day work week."

Thus illustrating the old adage "Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels." It was this city that disrupted tank and airplane production in '44 with more strikes involving more workers than in any other period of the city's and auto industry's history.

If the leaders of Detroit want to quote history, they should do it correctly.

If the new feature called a sunroof causes you to get sunburn on your bald head you should either not get one or just wear a hat. Don't complain about crappy cars just because you are bald. Geez.

If the new feature called a sunroof causes you to get sunburn on your bald head you should either not get one or just wear a hat. Don't complain about crappy cars just because you are bald. Geez.

So, what would you get through a moonroof?