Brian Billick's thoughts on Bills Draft

Realist

I like how he said Chris Kelsay has value.

Only second-rounder Chris Kelsay and fifth rounder Kyle Williams have proven to be of any real value.

His whole article lost credibility with that line..

Only second-rounder Chris Kelsay and fifth rounder Kyle Williams have proven to be of any real value.

Although you and I might agree, you can't say that's really true since the Bills re-signed him to a healthy contract. Obviously they see something in him.

for the last time....NONE OF THOSE DL ARE GOING TO DOMINATE....

Also, our defnse was in transition for most of the years....switching between a 3-4 and 4-3 ...because of injuries and replacing talent...

We have alot of solid pieces that need to be put in the right system it takes time....

3 pick... doesnt need to be a defensive player in a deep defensive draft... we have an early 2nd, a solid 3rd and two in the 4th....

Promise?

I'm not sure (as I'm not a scout or privy to game tape to even anaylze them) whether Cam or Gabbert are top five talents at QB but I do believe that I was wrong earlier on to assume that going D first pick is the "only" way. Yes I would prefer a defensive player (DE\DT\CB\OLB) be our pick at #3 but I'm now of the opinion that any player picked in this draft from the top players at each position will make the Bills a better team.

I also believe however that certain D players will have an earlier impact on the team as opposed to a QB who may sit for awhile (unless Fitzy gets hurt early or for some reason just stinks it up) and that most of them will be (hopefully) long term high impact players. Some will ultimately be busts as well, but that's the nature of the beast (as we know too well).

I just hope who ever the pick is that the player is a true high level NFL player that we can keep in Buffalo (along with the rest of our picks!).

No offensive player really worth taking in this years draft at number 3 in my opinion. There isn't a great QB avaiable. Gabbert is a nice prospect but not a franchise guy, while Newton screams Vince Young 2.0 in my opinion a freak physical athlete without the proper throwing motion and field vision to be a franchise QB. The rest of the offensive talent isn't impressive either. There isn't a LT really worth taking (Bell also showed serious progress this season) and AJ Green and the rest of the skill position players aren't really much of a need.

Von Miller or Dareus should be our pick. Miller would be our pass rusher while Dareus would help the run D. Both are difference makers in the front 7.

Billick says it would be a mistake to go QB at no. 3 with the defensive talent in this year's draft. I couldn't agree more.

Billick's analysis

Never liked Billick as a coach and don't like him as an evaluater. We need a franchise QB we can always get D Talent latter with all the defensive talent in this draft.

I am no fan of Chris Kelsay but K Williams is a probowler. As far as run defense goes, these guys might have been the only ones on the field.

Never liked Billick as a coach and don't like him as an evaluater. We need a franchise QB we can always get D Talent latter with all the defensive talent in this draft.

The flip side of this is why waste such good talent and depth at the top? With all the defensive talent in this draft a guy we draft in the 1st is going to be better than a guy we could draft in the 1st in other years where there is not so much talent. Take advantage of this drafts strength early don't squander it by assuming we can get talent late.

A franchise QB is great and fans love a single player they can hold on to and have hope for the future. I am not stating this as fact but in the context of super bowl victories how many of these "franchise" QBs have won a super bowl without a top 10 defense? Most if not all I would say had a top 10 ranked defense during the regular season or at least had a defense that played like one during the play offs when it counted.

I have seen great defenses and journeymen QBs win the superbowl but I don't recall an elite franchise QB win without great to elite defensive play. I would be interested to know if there is an exception to this "rule".

Edited by PDaDdy