Tainting Brady's Image

judman

Poor Tommy.

He is a bad dad

He is a bad driver

He has bad championships* (with asterisks)

He has bad calls go his way, always (ie. the tuck)

But, according to some, being listed alphabetically first in the players lawsuit should concern him as it may "taint his image"

story

Serves you right alpha dog...

-signed, those of us who were always at the back of the line (S-Z).

Other than a "negotiation" tactic, what are the damages being sought by the lawsuit? Won't a ruling in their favor force the dismantling of the NFL as they currently enjoy it? No draft, no revenue sharing, teams negotiating for their own TV deals, etc.

Also, would a judge ask the plaintiffs how it is that they had no problem living under the oppressive constraints of the NFL monopoly for decades--until they didn't get a collective bargaining deal to their liking?

You think that Brady's having a bad day, look what Drew Greed's mouth has done wrought...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/05/sam-huff-fires-another-salvo-at-drew-brees/

Drew Brees is a supreme jerk considering how little those old school guys made back in the day when they were laying the brick and mortar for what is now a 9 billion dollar industry. Wow, I never disliked Brees until reading what he said. His helping out poor families during Katrina was probably nothing but him putting on a show to garner fan favor and bolster his bank account.

Edited by 1billsfan

I really like how they say Brady has more money than he could spend in a lifetime and his talk about street cred. I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of players that made huge amounts of money(in football or any other sport) that have managed to bankrupt themselves. Yea Tim Graham, you know all about the street cred.

You think that Brady's having a bad day, look what Drew Greed's mouth has done wrought...

http://profootballta...-at-drew-brees/

Drew Brees is a supreme jerk considering how little those old school guys made back in the day when they were laying the brick and mortar for what is now a 9 billion dollar industry. Wow, I never disliked Brees until reading what he said. His helping out poor families during Katrina was probably nothing but him putting on a show to garner fan favor and bolster his bank account.

Based on that article, Brees didn't say anything wrong at all. Huff comes off as an egotistical jerk who is just trying to get some attention.

Other than a "negotiation" tactic, what are the damages being sought by the lawsuit? Won't a ruling in their favor force the dismantling of the NFL as they currently enjoy it? No draft, no revenue sharing, teams negotiating for their own TV deals, etc.

Also, would a judge ask the plaintiffs how it is that they had no problem living under the oppressive constraints of the NFL monopoly for decades--until they didn't get a collective bargaining deal to their liking?

The NFLPA was a collective bargaining unit and could therefore negotiate with monopolistic NFL. Thats how courts have viewed it. Once they decertify as a unit there is an antitrust suit against the NFL for locking them out. The discovery process will force the owners to give up financials they didnt want to during prior talks.

If they win the get treble damages, which would be very very high.

As a fan, you should be rooting for a prelimiinary injunction which would get the league running again under the old rules while they sort this out. Of course to win that, the players would have to show they will probably win at trial, its a high hurdle.

Based on that article, Brees didn't say anything wrong at all. Huff comes off as an egotistical jerk who is just trying to get some attention.

Drew Brees is a little punk. He should be kissing these old school player's feet for what they help built and in doing so led to todays star QBs earning 20 MILLION DOLLAR A YEAR contracts. Give me a freaking break, Brees is a jerk off greedy little punk in my book.

The NFLPA was a collective bargaining unit and could therefore negotiate with monopolistic NFL. Thats how courts have viewed it. Once they decertify as a unit there is an antitrust suit against the NFL for locking them out. The discovery process will force the owners to give up financials they didnt want to during prior talks.

If they win the get treble damages, which would be very very high.

As a fan, you should be rooting for a prelimiinary injunction which would get the league running again under the old rules while they sort this out. Of course to win that, the players would have to show they will probably win at trial, its a high hurdle.

I understand all of that, but such a suit can't just be about damages--wouldn't a ruling against the owners immediately change everything--draft, FA, revenue sharing, future TV contracts?

If the players are suing for this to be the outcome, and the future of football, then maybe they have a case. If it is just a ploy to see the books and the players don't really want to change the fundamental waybthe league has run for decades, doesn't this hurt the validity of their case?

What are the damages that they seek--money wise. What's the basis for damages.

I've always wondered how Manning can be in on this suit since he doesn't currently have a contract. So he's not currently being locked out.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but here's what his agent Tom Condon's sworn declaration says about how the NFL's conduct is harming Manning (see paragraphs 3-6 and 12-14):

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/minnesota/mndce/0:2011cv00639/119126/9/

The NFLPA? They "decertified," remember?

They are still an organization, remember? You understand that decertifying was strictly for collective bargaining purposes. You really think Manning is attaching his name to the biggest media followed lawsuit and no one realized he has no standing to be a party? cmon man.

I understand all of that, but such a suit can't just be about damages--wouldn't a ruling against the owners immediately change everything--draft, FA, revenue sharing, future TV contracts?

If the players are suing for this to be the outcome, and the future of football, then maybe they have a case. If it is just a ploy to see the books and the players don't really want to change the fundamental waybthe league has run for decades, doesn't this hurt the validity of their case?

What are the damages that they seek--money wise. What's the basis for damages.

No, a ruling wouldnt necessarily change all of that. The liklihood of it getting that far is unlikely, the appeals process to finalize the decision would be lengthy. The players immediate goal is winning the injunction.

Regardless of your political beliefs, this should be your goal too, it gets football moving again.

The basis for damages would be lost wages, in that the owners collaborated to lock out the players to prevent them from working. In an antitrust suit, such as this one, should the players prevail they get treble damages, or three times the amount they can show in damages.

Because of treble damages theses types of cases rarely go to verdict, and this one surely wont.

I think the owners are gambling here, they know they will have to show the books during this suit. This will be an interesting ride for sure.

I really like how they say Brady has more money than he could spend in a lifetime and his talk about street cred. I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of players that made huge amounts of money(in football or any other sport) that have managed to bankrupt themselves. Yea Tim Graham, you know all about the street cred.

And that's who's problem if they go bankrupt? It's their personal issue. I don't honestly care if these players go bankrupt. If they make all this stupid money and don't know how to invest it, make it work for them. That's their issue. I have -100% sympathy for NFL Players. I have about -1000% for the owners.

I don't care about their labor disputes. Just shut up and put up and go make you're millions you're gonna make anyways.