Why do the top college prospects have to go through the draft to make

Scrappy

Can't Andrew Luck decide he wants to be a multi-millionaire now & join any NFL team he wants?? Is this illegal like the draft is now?? The players crossed the lIne, why can't the college boys ?

If I was a top prospect & decided that playing for the Panthers didn't fit my needs, why couldn't I find the team that was best for my situation all the while getting rich doing so ? I'm one to wonder why the established systems are in place & how to challenge them, live strong.

Can't Andrew Luck decide he wants to be a multi-millionaire now & join any NFL team he wants?? Is this illegal like the draft is now?? The players crossed the lIne, why can't the college boys ?

If I was a top prospect & decided that playing for the Panthers didn't fit my needs, why couldn't I find the team that was best for my situation all the while getting rich doing so ? I'm one to wonder why the established systems are in place & how to challenge them, live strong.

Because that's idiotic, and football would become baseball, with the Yankees of the NFL buying championships. The major drawing point in football is parity. Any team can be bad one year and good the next. The draft was put in place to ensure that, so the worst teams get a chance at the best players, keeping the sport interesting.

To play in the nfl players must apply for the draft in order to become eligible. If they miss the regular draft deadline they can apply for the supplemental draft this ensures the ability for all teams to get players instead of regionalization (usfl) or straight free agency (ufl). Which as the above poster stated helps parity. This rule imo won't go anywhere as it is established in all major sports leagues and a decision against it would set a precedent that would have ramifications in these sports. I don't think any judge wants to sign and deliver that decision.

Because that's idiotic, and football would become baseball, with the Yankees of the NFL buying championships. The major drawing point in football is parity. Any team can be bad one year and good the next. The draft was put in place to ensure that, so the worst teams get a chance at the best players, keeping the sport interesting.

So what's your saying is that if a normal person wants to apply for a NFL position they cannot ?? You have to go through the supplemental draft or straight draft ?? This is america & if you want to apply for a position, you simply should be able to. The union decertified & claimed the draft is illegal, they need to get all the legal ramifications put in front of them. I pose a obvious scenario that can happen.

If football were like baseball, it would have more variety in its champions. Over the past ten years, WS has had 9 different champion teams. The SB has had 7. The Yankees have bought exactly one championship in the past decade. They have appeared in only 3 WS. The Steelers have 3 SB appearances and 2 wins. The Colts have 2 appearancess and 1 win. The pats have 4 SBs and 3 wins.

The Yankees must be doing something wrong! Maybe they should get their money back form the "championship" store. Florida, one of the cheapest teams in the league has 2 WS rings in 15 years--exactly 2 more than the stingy Bills.

There is a draft in MLB.

You better get outside, the schoolbus is waiting for you. You've been here just 4 days and have already dumbed down the board with childish posts and thread starts. Fix the Thread title -use English and make it understandable, or it's going buh-bye!

And what's with the 'Pee thing'.. Yeeesh!

We need age & IQ limits here.

I'm not getting what's wrong with this particular thread. I've seen it written before that if the NFL draft was ever challenged in court it most likely would be a loser for the league. The draft is technically illegal.

BTW, baseball has a draft, thats how teams like the YANKEES acquired players like Jeter, posada, rivera, etc

yeah but they also outbid other teams for top free agents like CC, Teixera, Burnett, Mussina, Giambi, etc....that was his point

The main difference between baseball and football is that baseball has an extensive minor league system to sort out which draft picks are good enough to play in the big league. Rarely does a draft pick go right to starting in the majors.

Man - you just through the entire NFL upside down. And to think we were all here to witness it.

I'm not getting what's wrong with this particular thread. I've seen it written before that if the NFL draft was ever challenged in court it most likely would be a loser for the league. The draft is technically illegal.

No it's not.

yeah but they also outbid other teams for top free agents like CC, Teixera, Burnett, Mussina, Giambi, etc....that was his point

So what? If that's what it took to win rings, Snyder would have 2 fistfulls. The Yankees won 3 straight WS with guys like Knoblauch, Bernie Williams, O'Neill, Posada, Jeter, Brosius, Rivera, Pettitte---none of them huge FA signings.

The main difference between baseball and football is that baseball has an extensive minor league system to sort out which draft picks are good enough to play in the big league. Rarely does a draft pick go right to starting in the majors.

The NFL has a much better farm system to evaluate future draft picks.

The OP is right. If the judge decides the Draft is illegal (which technically speaking it is) Then your going to see players get drafted but have no reason to saty with that team unless they offer him the best contract. You can goodbye to Buffalo football

Its not "technically illegal", but please explain why so many posters think it is.

Yes, only so many players are drafted, everyone else can play for whoever they want.

Great comparison....

LOL. People will freak out about this post. Every blue collar Joe six pack type who is pissed about their station in life will say "big deal those guys get paid millions". Envy and hate. The truth is I don't think this practice is in the american capitalist choose your own destiny spirit! This practice even leads some players to make stupid sensationalist comments about lacking choice in their future in their chosen profession of NFL football that Joe six pack can't wrap their heads around.

In every other area of american business an american citizen can apply for the job they want with the employer that they want. If they are found qualified they can be hired. The very next day, week, month if another employer offers them 2x, 3x, 10x the money they can say thank you very much but I will be taking a job with a new company. Not so in the world of professional sports.

That being said, this sort of system is imperative for some sort of parity in the NFL. Even with this system in place we still have teams like the Bills who blow draft pick after draft pick and don't resign their good players after rookie contracts and let them walk. The whole owner player squabble is tough to get a bead on as the NFL like some other professional sports is unlike any other area of business in the country.

The NFL has a much better farm system to evaluate future draft picks.

If you are thinking that College Football is a good farm system for the NFL, you are quite mistaken. The game has different rules, a different style of play, no organizational culture from the parent club to the minors, etc.

If you are thinking that College Football is a good farm system for the NFL, you are quite mistaken. The game has different rules, a different style of play, no organizational culture from the parent club to the minors, etc.

No, you are actually mistaken. He said its a better system to evaluate future picks, you know, guys you havent picked yet who isnt in your system yet.

So, its not like baseball where you draft kids out of high school and hope they develop. The NFL gets guys who are trained and developed for free at major colleges.

No, you are actually mistaken. He said its a better farm(fixed) system to evaluate future picks, you know, guys you havent picked yet who isnt in your system yet.

So, its not like baseball where you draft kids out of high school and hope they develop. The NFL gets guys who are trained and developed for free at major colleges.

Not every pick in the baseball draft is out of high school. Some are also trained for free at major colleges. Off the top of my head, two D1 college standouts Robin Ventura and Frank Thomas were 1st round picks in the baseball draft out of Ok State and Auburn and were in the Majors within a year of being drafted.

If the NFL had a minor league system and did not have the 3 year out of high school eligibility rule you would see both drafts be quite similar.

I'm not saying college football isn't a good talent evaluator, but let's think of it this way. If the NFL had a minor league system instead of mainly the NCAA you could draft and develop players that fit your organization rather than retraining a player from a spread or veer offense to a pro style offense. Could you imagine having a QB developing at the minor league level running a specific offensive style for 3-4 years then taking what he learned with him onto the field at 22 running the same offense at the NFL level? I think you would see a lot fewer busts and more franchise QBs, but that is just my theory.

In any event, we are comparing apples to grapenuts here since the sports and the professional organizations are completely different.