Rumor: Trade Between Bills and Eagles

Well, Rogers played for GB for three years and wasn't starting. Young was in SF for 4 years, yet couldn't become the "starter". Hmmm....

Those two were behind two of the greatest QBs in history (and Young is already in the HOF and Rodgers will most likely end up there someday), you can't say that for Kolb. Kolb was handed the job last year when they dumped McNabb and he couldn't keep it. You can't say it was totally because of injury, because Vick was hurt and Kolb started a couple games, yet they still went back to Vick? If you want a good comparison to Kolb, try Rob Johnson, he had a good game or two so a franchise assumed he would be the franchise, only to be disappointed. If Kolb was so great, the Eagles would have stayed with him, instead of giving 20 million a year to a 30+ year old quarterback with a history of injuries and off the field problems of epic proportions.

Edited by billsfreak

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting Kolb when we have Fitz does nothing for us but give us two starting QBs. I agree we need someone behind Fitz but moving from #3 -> #23 with an additional 2nd round pick later in the round thrown in?????? Not liking that at all!!!

You can argue all day who might be marginally better Fitz or Kolb which means it's a useless trade in my opinion.

Those two were behind two of the greatest QBs in history (and Young is already in the HOF and Rodgers will most likely end up there someday), you can't say that for Kolb. Kolb was handed the job last year when they dumped McNabb and he couldn't keep it. You can't say it was totally because of injury, because Vick was hurt and Kolb started a couple games, yet they still went back to Vick? If you want a good comparison to Kolb, try Rob Johnson, he had a good game or two so a franchise assumed he would be the franchise, only to be disappointed. If Kolb was so great, the Eagles would have stayed with him, instead of giving 20 million a year to a 30+ year old quarterback with a history of injuries and off the field problems of epic proportions.

Agreed. If Kolb was so great, the Eagles wouldn't be willing to part with him.

Who made the RJ trade? Ralph or John "He's a fine young man" Butler? I seem to recall it was fatboy who pulled the trigger. Then Ralph mucked things up by insisting on signing Flutie.

PTR

Actually, the Bills had already signed Flutie BEFORE the RJ trade. Flutie signed an incentive-laden contract that paid something paltry like a $50K signing bonus. Coming off the terrible Todd Collins/AVP season of 1997, Flutie thought he had a legitimate chance to win the starting job. A few weeks later, the Bills made the trade with Jacksonville for RJ, redid his contract to pay him like 10 times what Flutie was getting paid and pretty much closed the door on Flutie's promise of an open competition to win the job. Although I remember the sequence, I cannot quite remember the distance in time between the two signings. It could be possible that Marv was still in the picture when Flutie was signed, and that the RJ trade was made right after Wade took over. At the time, I assumed that the Flutie signing was more of a publicity stunt to help engage the Canadian fan-base. Of course, Johnson went down in the season opener at San Diego, and Flutie almost led the comeback (thwarted by a rare chip-shot miss from Christie as time expired). Johnson made it back on the field for the next few games, but a few weeks later, he injured his ribs against the Colts, and the rest is history. The funny thing is that Flutie achieved all of his incentives, and the Bills were forced to redo his contract the following year by converting the performance incentives to a signing bonus (and adding additional years) just to stay within the cap.

Actually, the Bills had already signed Flutie BEFORE the RJ trade. Flutie signed an incentive-laden contract that paid something paltry like a $50K signing bonus. Coming off the terrible Todd Collins/AVP season of 1997, Flutie thought he had a legitimate chance to win the starting job. A few weeks later, the Bills made the trade with Jacksonville for RJ, redid his contract to pay him like 10 times what Flutie was getting paid and pretty much closed the door on Flutie's promise of an open competition to win the job. Although I remember the sequence, I cannot quite remember the distance in time between the two signings. It could be possible that Marv was still in the picture when Flutie was signed, and that the RJ trade was made right after Wade took over. At the time, I assumed that the Flutie signing was more of a publicity stunt to help engage the Canadian fan-base. Of course, Johnson went down in the season opener at San Diego, and Flutie almost led the comeback (thwarted by a rare chip-shot miss from Christie as time expired). Johnson made it back on the field for the next few games, but a few weeks later, he injured his ribs against the Colts, and the rest is history. The funny thing is that Flutie achieved all of his incentives, and the Bills were forced to redo his contract the following year by converting the performance incentives to a signing bonus (and adding additional years) just to stay within the cap.

That sounds right. Thanks for blowing the dust off my synapses.

PTR

if you really want to do this, but cant because of the CBA, you do this. philly says, you can have our first (23) second (54) and third (85) and kolb, for your third.

they want peterson, you draft peterson

then you call them and say i want player x when the 23 pick happens, player y at 54 and player z at 85. then, as soon as the CBA happens, you trade everyone. since there is probably going to be a rookie wage scale, you never negotiate contracts, so that doesnt matter, and if they want PP, hes all yours.

having said that, i dont believe it at all. then again, they did trade up last year very high.

I don't see that as being within the rules of how trades are done. What if those players are gone? What if they change their mind and you are stuck with Peterson? If that is how things get conducted on draft day, why don't they just throw darts at a board of names?

I don't see that as being within the rules of how trades are done. What if those players are gone? What if they change their mind and you are stuck with Peterson? If that is how things get conducted on draft day, why don't they just throw darts at a board of names?

Agreed. It's too big a deal to do on a handshake. Like I said- what if vick gets arrested, Peterson hurt, something else? Suddenly one side can back out - no consequence. In fact- at that point following through would likely be penalized as this is illegal to begin with.

Getting Kolb when we have Fitz does nothing for us but give us two starting good backup QBs. I agree we need someone behind Fitz but moving from #3 -> #23 with an additional 2nd round pick later in the round thrown in?????? Not liking that at all!!!

You can argue all day who might be marginally better Fitz or Kolb which means it's a useless trade in my opinion.

Fixed!

Edited by billsfreak

PDaDdy, on 05 April 2011 - 10:34 AM, said:

Getting Kolb when we have Fitz does nothing for us but give us two starting good backup QBs. I agree we need someone behind Fitz but moving from #3 -> #23 with an additional 2nd round pick later in the round thrown in?????? Not liking that at all!!!

Fixed!

LOL. Funny but no.

Some fans have a VERY skewed perspective of what a back up and a starting QB are. If Fitz and Kolb are backups then there are only about 12-15 starting QBs in the league. YES, that does means that there are almost 20 other QBs in the league that I would prefer either of these guys to start over.

Edited by PDaDdy

First, this is not confirmed but it's a slow Monday so here we go. Also, I may not be sure and maybe someone can clarify, but I was under the impression that only draft picks could be traded and not players because there is no CBA in place?

Link: http://www.fanfeedr.com/nfl/2011/04/04/rumors-of-blockbuster-trade-between-philadelphia-eagles-and-buff?utm_term=NFL+NEWS&utm_content=NFL+NEWS&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=FF

Stranger things have happened. However I consider this made up news just to fill a need for copy... :thumbdown: