Dalton at #34?

Munch

If Dalton makes it out of the first round, someone will trade up to take him at the top of Round 2. Just my hunch.

And anyhow, he's more of a WCO passer.

I would be shocked if Dalton went in the first round. I'd be a little less shocked to see a team trade up for him in the top of the 2nd round.

And it won't be before round 4, either.

I just don't know if the Bills need to go QB in the early rounds. Too many defensive holes.

Don't forget that the Bills offense was actually statistically worse than their defense last year. You just remember the defense being worse because they way they failed (being pounded into submission by the run) felt emotionally worse than how the offense failed (Fitzgibbons spraying the ball around wildly).

In today's NFL, having an elite-level quarterback just about guarantees you that you contend for a championship for a decade. Having an elite-level defensive tackle or end is nice, but they just aren't as valuable.

Not saying that any of the quarterbacks that might be available at #3 are a lock to be elite, but I personally am more comfortable trying to shoot for the moon and failing, rather than endlessly rebuilding to 7-9.

Edited by akm0404

you guys are forgetting Ponder. He's the one they'll take (in the 2nd), IF he makes it out of first round.

Stanzi also might be a guy to draft in 3rd, along w/ Kaep.

Edited by dgrid

I like Andy Dalton. I think he'll be a good QB in the NFL.

I don't see QB as being as big of a need as the other positions. For that reason, I'd be horrified at taking a QB at all before the 4th round in this draft.

If the Bills don't take a QB in the first or maybe even Mallett in the second, you can forget the QB position at least until the fourth round depending if there's anybody left like Tyrod Taylor.

The Bills are looking at possible "franchise" type QBs, not QBs who's best will never be better than what we already have in the still young 28 year old Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Except for Mallett, taking a QB in the second is a throw away pick for a team that still has MANY needs at other starting positions.

Edited by 1billsfan

Dalton is not a second round QB, third round at best...id take Ponder over him but neither at 34

for the poster above, he didnt have Dalton going before Locker and Mallet, in this scenario he had teams trading back up in to the bottom of the first for both of them leaving the best of the rest with the Bills taking Dalton which I would not be crazy about obviously

Bills need a stud D-lineman in the first and another impact player in the second preferably an OT or ILB

Edited by Max997

McShay said just before he dragged Dalton to the Bills something to the effect of these next two guys would be great in a west coast offense, the selected Dalton to the Bills. WRONG!!! Bills don't do "west coast" offense...

I see Kaepernick before Dalton, at least for Buffalo.

Edited by Kevin

Not sure why so many people have Dalton going so high:

Nolan Nawrocki, of PFW.com, who is wired in on what's going on (a lot moreso than Todd McShay), has Andy Dalton as a 4th-5th round draft pick, and the 149th rated prospect overall, regardless of position. Given the fact that he plays QB, maybe he's overdrafted a round or so, but that still would only make him a 3rd rounder.

To take him with #34 overall, would be a gigantic reach, and one the bills can't afford to take. It's tough for me to imagine Nix coming away with the impression that Dalton could ever be a franchise QB.

For the record Nawrocki has Ricky Stanzi rated as a 3rd-4th round prospect, but has him as his 56th rated prospect, regardless of position. I personally like Stanzi, but don't think his athleticsm, or lack thereof, matches with whta Gailey likes. I'm just throwing it out there......if you're going to project a QB being overdrasfted at #34, Ricky stanzi makes a lot more sense than Andy Dalton.