Report: Four ex-Auburn players got cash

papazoid

The players, Chaz Ramsey, Troy Reddick, Stanley McClover and Raven Gray, alleged they received money as part of a pay-for-play scheme during their time at Auburn. None played there more recently than 2007.

I'M SURE THIS STOPPED BEFORE CAM NEWTON SHOWED UP.....(cough).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6272478

Yeah but you get cash AND sex at clean old Ohio State!

I'll type this slowly so everyone understands....

EVERY MAJOR PROGRAM has kids getting money someway or the other. This is nothing new, and goes back to at least the 1970s.

Not just Auburn. Not just the SEC. This goes for the Big-12, Big-10, Pac-10, etc.

I agree that they do. But this is the problem. The rules are in place for a reason.

When the rules are broken, since the NFL is using the NCAA as their farm system, the players that are caught excepting this type of "ILLEGAL" behavior should never be allowed to play football or work in any capacity inside the organizations in the NCAA or NFL again.

And the institutions that facilitate this type of "ILLEGAL" activities should immediately be removed from the system and never allowed back in. I'm sure there are other academic institutions that would like to join the NCAA system.

Once a policy like this is installed and enforced, this becomes a thing of the past.

Auburn trusted Cam to play QB for them.

How did that work out?

Narwocki went over the line. He should report there are "character questions" and stop trying to act like Cam was his classmate. The "character questions" around Cam are largely unimportant to the job of NFL QB. He cheated at UF, like most of the rest of the Gators. His dad understands supply and demand. So what. The kid showed up every day, worked hard, rallied his team, and didn't lose. Everything else is just noise. He didn't punch his girlfriend. He didn't wreck his car while intoxicated etc...

Yeah, reminds me a lot of Petting Manning at Tennessee

The players, Chaz Ramsey, Troy Reddick, Stanley McClover and Raven Gray, alleged they received money as part of a pay-for-play scheme during their time at Auburn. None played there more recently than 2007.

I'M SURE THIS STOPPED BEFORE CAM NEWTON SHOWED UP.....(cough).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6272478

Of course it did, after all he had no knowledge of his FATHER shopping his services.

Auburn trusted Cam to play QB for them.

How did that work out?

Narwocki went over the line. He should report there are "character questions" and stop trying to act like Cam was his classmate. The "character questions" around Cam are largely unimportant to the job of NFL QB. He cheated at UF, like most of the rest of the Gators. His dad understands supply and demand. So what. The kid showed up every day, worked hard, rallied his team, and didn't lose. Everything else is just noise. He didn't punch his girlfriend. He didn't wreck his car while intoxicated etc...

Blah blah blah etc...

I'll type this slowly so everyone understands....

EVERY MAJOR PROGRAM has kids getting money someway or the other. This is nothing new, and goes back to at least the 1970s.

Not just Auburn. Not just the SEC. This goes for the Big-12, Big-10, Pac-10, etc.

Actually, doubtful. Schools do clean up their acts, and then they suck.

Vanderbilt will be the only school eligible from the SEC. Not sayin' bowl eligible though. Just not on probation.

I agree that they do. But this is the problem. The rules are in place for a reason.

When the rules are broken, since the NFL is using the NCAA as their farm system, the players that are caught excepting this type of "ILLEGAL" behavior should never be allowed to play football or work in any capacity inside the organizations in the NCAA or NFL again.

And the institutions that facilitate this type of "ILLEGAL" activities should immediately be removed from the system and never allowed back in. I'm sure there are other academic institutions that would like to join the NCAA system.

Once a policy like this is installed and enforced, this becomes a thing of the past.

Wow. I like a lot of your posts, but this is waaaaaaaay out there man. The NFL banning athletes that get caught for accepting money in college, meanwhile the kids that accept money and dont get caught get a paycheck. Schools and athletes have been doing it for decades. I'd say less than 1% gets caught. Maybe less than .01%. Pay the kids in college, they earn their universities millions. Banning great athletes for accepting money, while thousands of other athletes are getting away with it just doesn't make any sense. Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but I feel strongly that this is rediculous.

Wow. I like a lot of your posts, but this is waaaaaaaay out there man. The NFL banning athletes that get caught for accepting money in college, meanwhile the kids that accept money and dont get caught get a paycheck. Schools and athletes have been doing it for decades. I'd say less than 1% gets caught. Maybe less than .01%. Pay the kids in college, they earn their universities millions. Banning great athletes for accepting money, while thousands of other athletes are getting away with it just doesn't make any sense. Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but I feel strongly that this is rediculous.

So, should only football and basketball players get a cut of the profits, or should all student athletes get paid? Should Doug Berkinshnif, the captain of the Auburn water polo team get the same amount as "icon-entertainer" Cam Newton? Should athletes be paid commensurate with the amount of revenue their respective teams earn for the university/NCAA? Not dismissing the idea, but these are questions that need to be answered.

So, should only football and basketball players get a cut of the profits, or should all student athletes get paid? Should Doug Berkinshnif, the captain of the Auburn water polo team get the same amount as "icon-entertainer" Cam Newton? Should athletes be paid commensurate with the amount of revenue their respective teams earn for the university/NCAA? Not dismissing the idea, but these are questions that need to be answered.

Great question. One that I can't give an answer for, due to the fact that I dunno THAT much about the logistics regarding college athletics' budgeting and revenue. I DO know that the NFL banning college athletes that get caught accepting money makes ZERO sense for the NFL. It boggles my mind actually. Does anyone else think this is a good idea? If so why and how would the NFL benefit from it?

The NCAA's new president is adamant that, on his watch, there'll be no straying from college athletics' most time-honored tenet: "It's grossly unacceptable and inappropriate to pay players … converting them from students to employees," Mark Emmert says. Emmert acknowledges it's time for a serious discussion about whether and how to spread a little more of the largesse to those doing the playing and sweating. "The sooner, the better," Emmert says. He's not thinking big. Maybe bump up the value of players' scholarships by a few thousand dollars to take care of travel, laundry and other typical college expenses that aren't covered now.

Great question. One that I can't give an answer for, due to the fact that I dunno THAT much about the logistics regarding college athletics' budgeting and revenue. I DO know that the NFL banning college athletes that get caught accepting money makes ZERO sense for the NFL. It boggles my mind actually. Does anyone else think this is a good idea? If so why and how would the NFL benefit from it?

So...your stance is that it is okay for student athletes to receive illegal benefits?

Guest three3

The NCAA's new president is adamant that, on his watch, there'll be no straying from college athletics' most time-honored tenet: "It's grossly unacceptable and inappropriate to pay players … converting them from students to employees," Mark Emmert says. Emmert acknowledges it's time for a serious discussion about whether and how to spread a little more of the largesse to those doing the playing and sweating. "The sooner, the better," Emmert says. He's not thinking big. Maybe bump up the value of players' scholarships by a few thousand dollars to take care of travel, laundry and other typical college expenses that aren't covered now.

giving them full rides to universities is the equivalent of paying them. that means they really are employees. if he's serious about making them "students" then get athletic scholarships out of college completely.

As a recruited athlete, I can certainly attest to the fact that these stories are hardly news. Take every story you hear about this, double it in scope and scale, and you begin to approach my experience.

I was recruited in 2 sports, and I got away with murder precisely because I wasn't recruited for football. I went on 11 D1 recruiting trips, and 5 D3, without so much as a whimper.(the rule was 5, total) These trips were everything you read about and in many cases much worse. I stayed for 3 days more often than not. I got all kinds of free stuff. The only place where I didn't get over was Army, and that is due to Jack Emmer being Jack Emmer,much more than anything else.

The fact is that winning = $$$. When everybody get's done babbling out their phony moral outrage based on their phony moral superiority, the fact remains that investing in proven winners is good business for universities, regardless of the sport.

IF that wasn't the case, you would see more than one(1) college professor at Indiana making this a real issue. And, if you were a 17 year old high school senior, and some coach says "do you want to spend the weekend with mom, or with your new team?", you choose team, every time.

The best part is: given Title 9, you never hear about what the girls get. Now, that's a story worth writing, and reading. In terms of cash brought in vs. cash going out, never mind pure contempt for the NCAA rules. Any comparison of female athletes to male football players is ludicrous, even if you only base it on sheer #s of violations.

So...your stance is that it is okay for student athletes to receive illegal benefits?

Is it "ok"? No. It's not ok as long as it's illegal, but why should the NFL "BAN" players that receive money? They don't ban someone for drinking and driving one time. They don't ban someone for doing drugs the first time. They don't ban people for SHOOTING guns at other people the first time. There are PLENTY of NFL players that commit illegal acts at one time or another, And aren't banned after one offense, why should an athlete that isn't even IN the NFL get banned before he even plays....for doing something that NFL players have been doing for Decades? The NCAA isn't the nfls Minor league and they are separate entities and if it is, things need to change Minor league players get paid a paycheck the last I saw. So, Johnny, do you feel that college athletes should be banned for accepting money from boosters/ schools? Why/why not?

giving them full rides to universities is the equivalent of paying them. that means they really are employees. if he's serious about making them "students" then get athletic scholarships out of college completely.

There it is, and there is the simple solution.

The players are already getting ~$100,000 from their school in scholarships. The best way to "pay" them at least a little stipend would be to simply up their scholarship amount. Do it like financial aid instead. If tuition for the semester is $10,000, the student athlete gets a check for $20,000 (or something, Im just making the numbers up).

That way, they have some spending money, and it can also be an opportunity to start teaching kids how to handle and plan with their money before they become 21 year old millionaires.