Rank our needs

It would help to know what defensive scheme is planned before figuring out where the needs are.

easy, 3-4

Nix states it FLAT OUT right here in this video:

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Bills-Focus-Buddy-Nix-1-on-1/18e14493-81e1-42b9-b42e-5f413c79afa2

We'll run a 4-3 at times (as most 3-4s do), but we'll be drafting/building towards a 3-4 defense. From the mouth of the GM himself.

1. Franchise QB.

2. Dominant pass rusher. Any position, DE, OLB.

3. Run Stopper ILB.

4. Compantent OT.

5. Pass Catching TE.

Trade down from 3 to 7 with SF. Get a 2nd and 4th pick.

1st round, Cameron Jordan DE. California.

2nd round. Gabe Camiri OT. Wisconsin.

2nd round. Kelvin Shepard ILB. LSU.

3rd round. Luke Stocker TE. Tennessee.

4th round. Andy Dalton or Christian Ponder QB.

4th round. Tom Keiser OLB. Stanford.

4th round. DeMarcus Van Dyke CB. Miami.

THE DAWN OF THE NEW BUFFALO BILL EMPIRE! SUPERBOWL OR BUST!

I like it. I was worried when you listed QB first, but it seems like many you don't see

a franchise QB in the draft.

Nit-picking: I am not sure Kelvin Sheppard is worth a 2nd and I don't think Dalton or

Ponder will be around after the 2nd. FWIW, I like both Ponder and Dalton, as well as

Kaepernick.

easy, 3-4

Nix states it FLAT OUT right here in this video:

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Bills-Focus-Buddy-Nix-1-on-1/18e14493-81e1-42b9-b42e-5f413c79afa2

We'll run a 4-3 at times (as most 3-4s do), but we'll be drafting/building towards a 3-4 defense. From the mouth of the GM himself.

It is SAID...

It is SAID...

It is SAID...

even like FLAT OUT...

and if you even think that some NFL teams might lie to cover their true Draft Day ambitions, may God have mercy on your poor soul...

Picking one position is impossible so I gave two "'A or B" picks per round, with A being my first choice. Also, although a franchise QB would be nice, there has to be one available in order to pick one so that ain't happening in my pick at #3 (not that it won't happen for real).

1-DE or DT

2-QB or LB (inside or outside, BPA)

3-ROT or ROT

4a-TE or LB (opposite "side" of 2nd rd if LB is picked)

4b-CB or opposite of 4a pick (if TE there then LB here, or vice versa)

5-LOT or ROT

6-Front 7, pick one we haven't picked yet.

7-Kicker or BPA

1-Run Defense, Middle (ILB, NT) -

2-Run Defense, Setting The Edge (DE)

3-RT

4-TE Who Can Block First, Catch Second

5-Pass Defense, For Coverage Sacks (CB)

6-QB

7-OLB (I like Moats/Coleman/Merriman)

8-Punter

I think that Fitzy has a Rich Gannon-esqu quality to him that may serve the Bills well. If you look at how most good franchises are built, they are built in the trenches first. When Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Brad Johnson, Jim Plunkett, Terry Bradshaw, and Earl Morrall all have Super Bowl wins as primary starters, it shows how important the lines are, and how a franchise QB isn't always necessary. This point is further enhanced by backups Doug Williams and Jeff Hostetler also winning Super Bowls behind great lines, with good running games and great defenses.

That said, I see the Bills needs long-term and now as one of the same:

Rush-backer

WILB

LDE

RT

TE

#2 WR

I agree that there are different ways to go about drafting, with short or long term goals being met, and every GM would go about it a little differently, but I think our GM is pretty set on building a team that will be good year in and out, which means a good Defense and a good QB. As our guys see it, Fitz can get us by for another year if there isn't a consensus Franchise QB at #3. But, until we have the Franchise QB, that must be the top need.

Now, if I'm building the team, I would look at our players and determine which group is closer than the others to being special. By group, I mean what area of our team is close to good/great - I know, a reach. Our team needs an identity. Are we going to be a light it up offensive team that is going to try to outscore our opposition and get by with a defense that will be just good enough to keep us on top at the end, or are we going to be a Defense first team, and will that be a stop the run, run the ball type team, or aggressive, go after the QB, speed, turnovers type defense? I know there are unlimited combinations, and really no two defenses or offenses are alike, but what I'm getting at is we need to have a type of team in mind so we can draft the right kinds of players to make that vision come to fruition, and we need to know what type of players to look for so we can find the right fits, especially in the later portions of the draft.

Now, if I'm the GM I would look at our team, look at the talent in the draft, and I'd say this - "we're not going to be a championship team by the end of the year, but, we could concievably have a championship defense by the end of the year with the right draft, and using F.A. we could add a RT and a TE, and maybe a LB, so that by next year we only need to add maybe a QB, S, and WR or so." Then I'd try to trade down. If not, I'd get the best D-lineman Linbacker combo in the first two rounds, or D-lineman, QB, LB combo in the first 3 rounds if a good QB is still there for the taking in rd 2. I've said it before on here, this draft is too deep not to come away with 3 or 4 very good starters after the first 4 rounds are over, and I'd like them to be DE, QB, OLB, ILB. We can go for sleeper talent, high risk/high reward the rest of the draft and rely on F.A. to get a TE and RT.

Need to somehow slow down the run

1 -- Inside LB

2a -- D-End (if we are a 3-4 team

2b -- D-Tackle is we are a 4-3 team

3 -- Outside LB

4 -- Left / Right Tackle (not sold on Bell as a LT - could switch to right5 -- QB

6 -- Tight End

Bell isn't stout enough to be a RT. He needs a little more strength and he will be fine as a LT.

Need to somehow slow down the run

1 -- Inside LB

2a -- D-End (if we are a 3-4 team

2b -- D-Tackle is we are a 4-3 team

3 -- Outside LB

4 -- Left / Right Tackle (not sold on Bell as a LT - could switch to right

5 -- QB

6 -- Tight End

I like this one. :thumbsup: