Idea for College Athletes

Virgil

With all this talk about players putting all their hopes into making it big in pro sports, basically don't pay attention in college, and then when they don't make, are totally screwed, I had a thought. And yes, that was a horrible sentence.

Why not have schools offer a degree in sports methodology? For example. Teach classes about vitamins and steroids. Playbooks. Interview skills. Team building and coaching. So, even if these guys don't make it, maybe they have a chance to coach somewhere. And if they do make, coaches in the pro's have more info on the player. I mean, if a player can't pass classes for what they want to make a career of, how good can they do? Plus, think about the steroids awareness spread. And hell, make it a 3 year degree for NFL players or whatnot.

Again, it's not all ironed out in my brain, but something that I think would make sense. Something that at least prepares some of these kids for if they don't make it and also helps teams not have to rely on a 3 month offseason to decide if they want to build their franchise around intellectually.

With all this talk about players putting all their hopes into making it big in pro sports, basically don't pay attention in college, and then when they don't make, are totally screwed, I had a thought. And yes, that was a horrible sentence.

Why not have schools offer a degree in sports methodology? For example. Teach classes about vitamins and steroids. Playbooks. Interview skills. Team building and coaching. So, even if these guys don't make it, maybe they have a chance to coach somewhere. And if they do make, coaches in the pro's have more info on the player. I mean, if a player can't pass classes for what they want to make a career of, how good can they do? Plus, think about the steroids awareness spread. And hell, make it a 3 year degree for NFL players or whatnot.

Again, it's not all ironed out in my brain, but something that I think would make sense. Something that at least prepares some of these kids for if they don't make it and also helps teams not have to rely on a 3 month offseason to decide if they want to build their franchise around intellectually.

They should also include some classes on finance.

I've been a sports nut my whole life and from like age 10-15 I would write up imaginary business plans with this same basic idea for Western New York University so Rochester could have adivision 1 team. Pick up guys cut or kicked off the big schools for grades or minor infractions (no big stuff), hire a huge coach and go to town with a program focused on pro sports, sports management, broadcasting, etc.. I'd update the plan a few times a year based on who was released from scholarship and what coaches became available as well as any finacial updated. Yeah, I know I'm a loser :)

Edited by FutureBillsGM

The problem is that the kids who don't make it in the pros after going through this type of program are going to be even less marketable in the world outside of sports than they are now. You said maybe they could coach somewhere, but where? Most high school coaches are teachers too, and the stipend you get for being just a coach is nowhere near enough to live off of. You'd be hard pressed to get a job coaching at any college, even as an assistant at a DIII or junior college without any previous experience IMO.

The problem is that the kids who don't make it in the pros after going through this type of program are going to be even less marketable in the world outside of sports than they are now. You said maybe they could coach somewhere, but where? Most high school coaches are teachers too, and the stipend you get for being just a coach is nowhere near enough to live off of. You'd be hard pressed to get a job coaching at any college, even as an assistant at a DIII or junior college without any previous experience IMO.

Disagree on the coaching front. If you work a few camps and do what you're supposed to you could probably even get something higher but surely a DIII gig. You are completely right that this would not "make a living" but could be a start. I think the idea behind this would be for the kids who cant cut it in class anyways. The Adrew Lucks and Ryan Fitzpatricks would not be going to this school.

Why not college sports really need to stop pretending like they are not a business. Its not about the education anymore why keep pretending?

I would suggest the commitment to sports is as business like as the commitment to the rest of the students. It's all a business, and with the cost of college, every student has to get a decent job just to pay for it, or else they'll be living in their parents basement and riding a bike to work. The only thing the education does for you now is get you a better job.

I would suggest the commitment to sports is as business like as the commitment to the rest of the students. It's all a business, and with the cost of college, every student has to get a decent job just to pay for it, or else they'll be living in their parents basement and riding a bike to work. The only thing the education does for you now is get you a better job.

No, it doesn't just help you find a better job. It makes you a better person. Critical thinking and decision making, time management, communication skills, self confidence, a better understanding of relationships and the human animal, and exposure to different cultures and lifestyles that cure bigotry and closed-mindedness are just a few benefits of being educated.

But I'm not surprised to read that so many of you appear to place a greater value on a game than you do an education.

I would love to see a regionally accredited University try and present this program to the accreditation board. It would be hilarious. Now I know of a certain non-regionally accredited university that would probably silly enough to try it if they actually had athletics but that is another story.

not a bad idea, I would add sports agent and financial adviser.

I've been a sports nut my whole life and from like age 10-15 I would write up imaginary business plans with this same basic idea for Western New York University so Rochester could have adivision 1 team. Pick up guys cut or kicked off the big schools for grades or minor infractions (no big stuff), hire a huge coach and go to town with a program focused on pro sports, sports management, broadcasting, etc.. I'd update the plan a few times a year based on who was released from scholarship and what coaches became available as well as any finacial updated. Yeah, I know I'm a loser :)

Start one it would awesome.