Roger Goodell

So far?

I say yes. I like his new player conduct policies and I think hes a good fit for his title

What do you all think?

I like the player conduct policy, but he's been inconsistent in applying it. Why Brandon Marshall has never been suspended for even a game is beyond me.

A judgment on this matter is all about outcome. You are right to qualify this as so far since the real answer is it is too early to tell.

Given that the situation has come to loggerheads and degraded its hard to give him credit for doing a good job however.

The irony is that as in any negotiation between two sides which both have a lot of leverage you are not going to get an outcome until the situation gets very bad and one side blinks.

His job is really tough to do well at since in reality he has the bosses who hired him and whom he answers to on paper (the owners)but also the bosses who really are the game we love to watch (as folks are beginning to articulate more this fight is really over the players asserting themselves as the bosses).

In the end, it all tends to be about the money and Tagliaboo-boo asserted himself on the side of the real bosses and argued/forced the team owners to accept the most recent CBA because even though it delivered a significant majority of the total assets to the arguably majority partners in this arrangement it still brought the team owners 39.5% of money thant the NFL produced under the pretend free-market it had until the NFLPA decert threat.

In the end, Goodell will have done a good job if he continues the NFL as an entity that brings in goo-gobs of money to the folks who hired him (team owners) AND the folks who really are the game (the players).

Its in the balance right now but unfortunately to get to equilibrium it has to flirt with death.

Are you serious? Goodell stepped in and started radically changing the fabric of the game. I feel that he is driven by ego, and his rule changes have done nothing but muddy the waters and weaken the product. He alienated the players with his little speaking tour last year, and his at-a-whim personal conduct penalties are a joke.

He is pushing to blow out the season to 18 games, which will only water down the product and further ruin the ability to statistically compare performances over the years.

Knee-jerk rule changes are now the norm, such that nobody knows what is a catch, what is a legal hit, and how might a game be decided in overtime in the playoffs (you have to love a rule that was put in place because of one game, and then has never been used - that'll be fun the first time teams get to figure that gem out).

Down with Goodell.

Edit: Oh yeah, let's play games in Europe. That's awesome and fair. People love those games. Not.

Edited by akm0404

Tagliabu gets credit for the labor peace that went on during his tenure as Commissioner. However, the last deal he pushed through shortly before leaving back in 2006 was such a bad deal for owners that it placed us in the current situation in which we now reside. That is why it is very difficult to judge Goodell based on the current labor situation. I suspect that D. Smith had it in his mind to become a litigant REGARDLESS of what the owners offered, so I am not sure that any other Commissioner could have placed the current situation in any better light.

Edited by 2003Contenders

Are you serious? Goodell stepped in and started radically changing the fabric of the game. I feel that he is driven by ego, and his rule changes have done nothing but muddy the waters and weaken the product. He alienated the players with his little speaking tour last year, and his at-a-whim personal conduct penalties are a joke.

He is pushing to blow out the season to 18 games, which will only water down the product and further ruin the ability to statistically compare performances over the years.

Knee-jerk rule changes are now the norm, such that nobody knows what is a catch, what is a legal hit, and how might a game be decided in overtime in the playoffs (you have to love a rule that was put in place because of one game, and then has never been used - that'll be fun the first time teams get to figure that gem out).

Down with Goodell.

Edit: Oh yeah, let's play games in Europe. That's awesome and fair. People love those games. Not.

I like the personal conduct discipline he's brought to the game, yet it's still not quite a balanaced as it needs to be. But don't blame that all on Goodell, he has people who recommend the penalties and discipline to him. As for his handling of the CBA, or games played in Europe, he's done what he is being paid to do, which is to do the bidding of the owners.

Goodell represents the league, vis-a-vis the owners period.

I think he has done a terrible job, honestly he couldn’t do any worse.

He instituted a personal conduct policy with no rubric or outline for punishments. He just gets to pick and chose how players are suspended, regardless of what they did – its all left up to king Goodell. Lynch has a registered handgun locked in the trunk of his car…. 3 game suspension. B. Marshall’s 3rd arrest for domestic violence, you get off scott free. Then he completely ignores Marvin Harrisons shooting spree incident. He clearly plays favorites with his punishments.

His enforcement of fines are no different either.

The new rules that keep coming out and enforcement of those rules are awful. Cant hit a QB ever – sucks, CBs cant fart in the direction of the WR with getting a penalty, the wording/enforcement of the “Calvin Johnson Catch that wasn’t” rules, etc.

He sure has done a great job with this lockout too…

And don’t get me started with the Spygate scandal. “The Pats didn’t do anything, I swear it was that bad, that’s why I destroyed all the evidence, you will just have to trust me” – Rodger Gooddell. My arse. He should have came out and let everyone see what the pats did or didn’t do. Then dole out a proper punishment. That’s the only way to clear the air. IMO the way they acted reaffirms that the Pats did cheat and only proves the NFL was willing to allow it.

I like the personal conduct discipline he's brought to the game, yet it's still not quite a balanaced as it needs to be. But don't blame that all on Goodell, he has people who recommend the penalties and discipline to him. As for his handling of the CBA, or games played in Europe, he's done what he is being paid to do, which is to do the bidding of the owners.

Goodell represents the league, vis-a-vis the owners period.

I feel like alot of things have changed for the worse since Taglibue left... on a side note Spiderweb, Im jealous of your Bills room. You may have just inspired me to make something on my own to :thumbsup:

Im jealous of your Bills room. You may have just inspired me to make something on my own to :thumbsup:

That thing looks amazing. Spider.. if you are ever looking for new flooring options, I have seen carpet tiles they sell with NFl/NCAA/NHL logos on them that look awesome. You'd have to google them, but they look pretty sweet.

I feel like alot of things have changed for the worse since Taglibue left... on a side note Spiderweb, Im jealous of your Bills room. You may have just inspired me to make something on my own to :thumbsup:

Thanks, and try to remember, Goodell is only doing the bidding of the owners, which is what he is paid to do. I would tend to agree that he has not done a good job overall though.

That thing looks amazing. Spider.. if you are ever looking for new flooring options, I have seen carpet tiles they sell with NFl/NCAA/NHL logos on them that look awesome. You'd have to google them, but they look pretty sweet.

I've seen some (I've googled a number of "Bills" related items). How well do they hold up? I could use a strong Bills team for a change to stoke the fires once more to get me looking for more "items" for my bar and rec room.

Guest three3

i hate everything he has done except moving the draft. making things worse: his wife works for fox news. his dad was a republican congressman.

I don't think he's done a very good job. I think he was the lesser of two evils in the Commissioner vote. Gregg Levy would have been even worse. I thought Fred Nance was the best candidate of the pool at the time.

The personal conduct policy is only good if its consistently enforced. It hasn't been.

No one cares about games played in London. Not sure why the NFL bothers.

I think that Goodell missed an opportunity to get in front of this labor dispute. There seems to be a considerable lack of communication and trust between the two sides and I feel Goodell should have attempted to bridge that gap and establish a working relationship with some modicum of trust as soon as DeMaurice Smith was elected by the players. I don't think he's got the diplomatic chops of Tagliabue, and that matters right now.