WSJ article .... airplane etiquette

BuffaloBill

This ran today - as a frequent flier I thought some of the responses were interesting. Getting along in coach

My biggest issue is with reclining seats. If the airlines are going to pack you in that close they should not allow for reclining seats. If you sit up and the person in front of you reclines their head is about 12 inches (less??) away from you. I think this situation simply sucks. If I can't get an upgrade on the flight it then makes the second row in the exit rows very valuable real estate (even the middle seat) because people can't recline into your space.

I've said before I would gladly pay a premium for seating that is not first class but allows for mre space and productivity on a flight.

Happy travels.

I hear ya about the reclining seats.

Several years ago, about two months after knee surgery, we flew to Las Vegas.

My leg wanted to rest in a certain position and I knew that the

reclining seat would be an issue. After explaining the situation to the guy

in front of me I asked him to keep his seat up-right. He did for about 5 minutes then

the seat came back in full force. Alas the person in front of Mrs. Lew did the same so I could not switch with her. And the flight was full, so no empty seats were available.

After the flight was over, I noticed the knothead had a Patriots shirt on...Shudda figured

I used to fly a lot, and got to the point that I was pretty much always getting an upgrade to FC, but if I am in coach, and I want to recline, I do so. I paid for a seat that reclines, why wouldn't I use it? If someone behind me can't work because they don't have enough space, then they should have picked a different seat or flight, or better yet pay for FC. I couldn't imagine being in coach on a long haul flight in a large aircraft with a center row configuration (747, 767, 777), then, I might feel differently.

Armrests are always a battle, I agree the middle seat gets both of theirs since the aisle gets the aisle, and the window gets the window.

I am quick to defend my space on the ground/under the seat in front of me. I once had a guy in the seat in front of me try to explain how the space under his seat was meant to be used by him. I laughed and said, "I don't think so." I couldn't believe he was serious.

but if I am in coach, and I want to recline, I do so. I paid for a seat that reclines, why wouldn't I use it? If someone behind me can't work because they don't have enough space, then they should have picked a different seat or flight, or better yet pay for FC.

On our flight back from Spain a few months ago, the seats reclined so far back that it was impossible to actually use the tray table during the meal. The flight attendants had to ask people to please not recline until dinner was over.

On our flight back from Spain a few months ago, the seats reclined so far back that it was impossible to actually use the tray table during the meal. The flight attendants had to ask people to please not recline until dinner was over.

Thats the airline, they put in so many seats and the seats were never designed to be that close together. That would definately suck. If the flight attendants asked me to not recline until dinner was over, then I would, not recline until dinner was over.

Its times like those (described by you) that an upgrade to FC or BC is absolutely necessary.

The worst part about flying "nowadays" is that with the high cost of checking bags, EVERYONE brings on OVERSIZED carry-ons, sometimes MULTIPLE. So it's basically the first 30 people on the plane get to use the overhead storage, everyone else gets screwed.

And in my experiences, the flight attendants do little/nothing to enforce the carry-on rules. They just let the first people fill up the bins, and then check the bags of the remaining folk, even if they comply with the carry-on rules.

Cant spell America without ME...

Its times like those (described by you) that an upgrade to FC or BC is absolutely necessary.

Would've been nice - but the tickets were $1,100/person for coach... FC would've been unaffordable. :(

Would've been nice - but the tickets were $1,100/person for coach... FC would've been unaffordable. :(

Yeah, they always are too expensive. It's all about miles though. I would wager that less than 5% of FC passengers actually pay FC fare. Most get upgrades because of miles. I had tons of miles on Delta and United, and I would say I sat in F more than 60% of the time I was travelling. I don't travel much anymore, so, now I must ride in coach when I do. I still have some miles on Delta, but not like I used to. (I have a friend who works for Delta who hooks me up from time to time, but I only ask for his help on long flights.)

Yeah, they always are too expensive. It's all about miles though. I would wager that less than 5% of FC passengers actually pay FC fare. Most get upgrades because of miles. I had tons of miles on Delta and United, and I would say I sat in F more than 60% of the time I was travelling. I don't travel much anymore, so, now I must ride in coach when I do. I still have some miles on Delta, but not like I used to. (I have a friend who works for Delta who hooks me up from time to time, but I only ask for his help on long flights.)

Next time I fly overseas, I'll ask you to ask your friend to help me out. :P

I just realized I have 49,000 miles -- which isn't even enough to get me roundtrip FC between Mpls and Buf. :(

I used to fly a lot, and got to the point that I was pretty much always getting an upgrade to FC, but if I am in coach, and I want to recline, I do so. I paid for a seat that reclines, why wouldn't I use it?

I don't take issue with you reclining given the option is available. My point above is to say the airlines shouldn't make it an option - period. For me, it's not only about doing work it''s also about I'm breathing dandruf from the guy in front of me because his head is so damn close when he reclines. I really believe the airlines need to explore a new pricing concept. There are too few FC seats to say that is always an option - what about something in between?

The worst part about flying "nowadays" is that with the high cost of checking bags, EVERYONE brings on OVERSIZED carry-ons, sometimes MULTIPLE. So it's basically the first 30 people on the plane get to use the overhead storage, everyone else gets screwed.

And in my experiences, the flight attendants do little/nothing to enforce the carry-on rules. They just let the first people fill up the bins, and then check the bags of the remaining folk, even if they comply with the carry-on rules.

Cant spell America without ME...

I probably won't fly anything except Southwest domestically. No problems 2 weekends ago.

I am not a frequent flyer, bout once a month on average I guess.

While i do not recline out of respect, sometimes I have to because I need to get work done and no way can be done without reclining as dude in front of you is all the way back. However, I always, always, always let the person in back of me know before I go back. I don't ask persmission, just let them know I am going to recline.

The food thing bothers me more than that however. Whoppers, Subs, Chinese food etc nasty things when sitting in a crowded plane like that. Might as well take your shoes off and have me smell your nasty feet the whole way.

Same with women who load on perfume or men with cologne. Cmon, you don't know how close you are going to be? I know i am sensitive to smell, but I have had to ask to get my seat moved more than once due to perfume.

But, the biggest thing I complain about on planes is the absolute absense of any kind of decent beer selection. I am so sick Heineken, Bud Light, Miller Light as my choices!! I can stand a whole lot if you just put 1, and I do mean 1, decent beer on the menu.

I don't take issue with you reclining given the option is available. My point above is to say the airlines shouldn't make it an option - period. For me, it's not only about doing work it''s also about I'm breathing dandruf from the guy in front of me because his head is so damn close when he reclines. I really believe the airlines need to explore a new pricing concept. There are too few FC seats to say that is always an option - what about something in between?

Agree on all points. Airlines are trying to fit in as many seats into an aircraft that they possibly can. For them it is all about money money money. And I would wager that putting in all non-reclining seats would cost more.

Agree on all points. Airlines are trying to fit in as many seats into an aircraft that they possibly can. For them it is all about money money money. And I would wager that putting in all non-reclining seats would cost more.

But wouldn't it be cheap to just break the reclining button...? :)

Maybe I'm always on the wrong planes, but I've never seen reclining as a problem. The seats only seem to rotate about a quarter of a centimeter, so that really doesn't take any space away.

Agree on all points. Airlines are trying to fit in as many seats into an aircraft that they possibly can. For them it is all about money money money.

See, I got no problem with this statement. My business is all about money, money, money as well. I know I am an old bastard, but when i grew up and the industry was regulated, got news for ya, only people who had money flew. I mean, I had the occasional relative fly in when someone was sick or dying, but outside of that no one flew.

Today, all of us in the great unwashed get to fly just about when ever we GD please, cause relatively speaking it's freakin cheap h!!!And you know what...if they can keep the cost of business trip down by charging for luggage, I get it. Thats an extra service someone wants..they should pay for it.And yes, I want the airlines to make money..it is the only way they stay in business.

I have no problems with the sirlines, it's the passengers that are the PITA.

My flying pet peeves:

1) People who wait until they get right up to the x-ray machine before they start disrobing. I untie my shoes, put my belt, wallet, phone, watch, etc, in a backpack before I even get in the security line.

2) People who neatly fold jackets and put them in the overhead compartment, knowing it's a full flight.

3) People who get try to get in front of you while de-planing, even if you are ahead of them.

4) People who HAVE to go to the bathroom during short flights (1-2 hours). STOP BOOZING RIGHT BEFORE YOU GET ON THE FLIGHT AND HOLD IT. The only people who should use the bathroom during short flights are kids and old people.

I also agree w/plez, I don't mind the baggage fees. If airlines keep making money then they should stay relatively competitive.