Troup Means Business

So now that he's pushing 330, are people still going to whine about how he's not "big enough" to play NT?

Yep. Those are the people that constantly harp on KW not being the "prototypical" NT but would have no problem having him be a "prototypical" DE.

GO BILLS!!!

I doubt the pronouncement by Nix that the team is committed to the 3-4 defense is a diversion tactic. That's why I believe the "stopping the run and drafting a defensive lineman" opinion could be where we as fans are the ones not admitting. I think the FO most certainly likes several of the D-Line players coming out of the draft, but I don't think they are sharing the same thoughts most fans have, when we say "they will be abandoning our biggest need if they don't draft one" and go with say a Peterson.

Say the Bills do draft a guy like Dareus and they are committed to the 3-4. So the lineup would be Carrington, Williams, and Dareus right? Or at least eventually that would be the starting lineup plan. Then when does Troup play? If you believe (and I do), that we will see the 4-3 being used, doesn't that mean that's where Kelsay enters the lineup? Which would mean either Troup or Dareus doesn't play in the 4-3 and Troup wouldn't play in the 3-4. Certainly the rookie and Troup aren't going to be designated as situational players long term.

That's why I think the FO may not be going D-Line much to the fans dismay.

as you know the nfl plays defensive linemen in waves if we have 5 great D/linemen thats a great plus.having to many great d/linemen is a very good problem to have.

Troup can play DE in a 3-4, and likely could be really good there.

I don't think anyone can say whether Nix is telling the truth about the 3-4 or not. Historically speaking, when GMs talk Jan-April, they usually lie.

Granted, aside from Poz, the LB core isn't much 4-3. Torbor can play 4-3 SAM. But a switch back to 4-3 would require more LBs.

It is interesting to "tally up" the "needs" for 4-3 and 3-4, and see which requires more new faces, and the relative expense of such. 4-3 LBs usually are less expensive than other positions, especially DL. Dareus is a very good player, but he isn't going to get to the QB much. Is that really what the 3rd pick in the Draft is supposed to do, just occupy two blockers? Maybe, if you are Scott Pioli and Tyson Jackson is your guy...

Dareus is better than Tyson Jackson, but a #3 overall should be more than just a "run stuffer."

totally disagree darius is a penrtrating d/lineman who can play just about any position on the d/line and he will get lots of sacks.

if a miracle happens and he drops to us the bills IMO will jump all over the kid

I don't think anyone can say whether Nix is telling the truth about the 3-4 or not. Historically speaking, when GMs talk Jan-April, they usually lie.

Granted, aside from Poz, the LB core isn't much 4-3. Torbor can play 4-3 SAM. But a switch back to 4-3 would require more LBs.

It is interesting to "tally up" the "needs" for 4-3 and 3-4, and see which requires more new faces, and the relative expense of such. 4-3 LBs usually are less expensive than other positions, especially DL. Dareus is a very good player, but he isn't going to get to the QB much. Is that really what the 3rd pick in the Draft is supposed to do, just occupy two blockers? Maybe, if you are Scott Pioli and Tyson Jackson is your guy...

Dareus is better than Tyson Jackson, but a #3 overall should be more than just a "run stuffer."

first off why you guys think he is only a run stuffer. if as you say he is and you are correct is not stopping the run the biggest biggest need on this team and just think how he could keep those O/linemen off our lb's which would greatly improve ou LB paly?

the right move is to take Peterson at #3 overall (we actually NEED cornerbacks guys - mcgee is unreliable and leodis is under contract - but drayton "flag" florence and yobouty have contracts up).

then... stick with the 3-4 (you don't stop drafting for a superior scheme because everyone else is, you just draft better). in the meantime, yes you utilize the 4-3... in those situationed we would run a front of Carrington, KW, Troupe and Edwards (he has played all over the DL) or Kelsay. LB would be WLB - Merriman, MLB - Poz, SLB- Torbor (who still sucks in coverage). in the 3-4 the way to go is carrington-KW-edwards, rotate troupe in and if we were to draft a dareus rotate him in as well.

the point is - you make sure troupe gets more snaps/game alongside KW. Losing stroud means troupe will get all that PT at the 3 spot in 4-3 situations that Stroud had. Carrington will pick up time in the 3-4 sets and rotate with edwards and kelsay when 4 down linemen are called for.

we need a CB. Leodis is not going to be resigned long term unless he picks it up. maybe some helathy competition form a rookie who shows him up might push the right buttons. He's got physical gifts, he just has mental lapses constantly. I really want peterson... he's another revis-island.

Everything I have ever read about a 3-4 is you need a bull at NT. Is Troup that guy? The answer is not clear, KW is definitely not that guy. Baylor Taylor and Ellis from Hampton are that guy and one or both will be there in rd 2. We have Carrington as a true DE in a 3-4, hopefully Fairley/Dareus will be impact DE's in our 3-4 (as well as slide inside when we go 4-3) along with KW. We have Troup and Taylor or Ellis as NT's. I am liking that front, plenty of power, speed, bulk and flexibility. When was the last time we had that? 1965!

Everything I have ever read about a 3-4 is you need a bull at NT. Is Troup that guy? The answer is not clear, KW is definitely not that guy. Baylor Taylor and Ellis from Hampton are that guy and one or both will be there in rd 2. We have Carrington as a true DE in a 3-4, hopefully Fairley/Dareus will be impact DE's in our 3-4 (as well as slide inside when we go 4-3) along with KW. We have Troup and Taylor or Ellis as NT's. I am liking that front, plenty of power, speed, bulk and flexibility. When was the last time we had that? 1965!

Exactly how did you come to the conclusion that Troup may or may not be that guy but Taylor and Ellis are?

So now that he's pushing 330, are people still going to whine about how he's not "big enough" to play NT?

LOL...Troup was one of the top "true" NT taken in last year's draft. Troup was specifically drafted to play NT in the 3-4, I can't see how anyone can argue otherwise. Whether he's good enough to be a starting NT in the NFL is one thing, but a NT he is.

Looking at the players we drafted last year, Troup/Carrington/Moats, all are better suited for the 3-4, but I think that regardless of who we select with the first pick in this year's draft, we'll continue to see a hybrid of the 3-4/4-3 defense next year..I don't have a problem with it and see no reason why we have to have an official defensive base scheme.

LOL...Troup was one of the top "true" NT taken in last year's draft. Troup was specifically drafted to play NT in the 3-4, I can't see how anyone can argue otherwise. Whether he's good enough to be a starting NT in the NFL is one thing, but a NT he is.

Looking at the players we drafted last year, Troup/Carrington/Moats, all are better suited for the 3-4, but I think that regardless of who we select with the first pick in this year's draft, we'll continue to see a hybrid of the 3-4/4-3 defense next year..I don't have a problem with it and see no reason why we have to have an official defensive base scheme.

Realistically to play the 34/43 hybrid effectively you probably need 5 true lineman and 1 Suggs type player that can play de/olb any given snap.

Even best case I think that troup/carrington are 50-50 to be long term starters. If one is a starter and one a solid rotational player, we've done well. We can certainly add bodies still.

Realistically to play the 34/43 hybrid effectively you probably need 5 true lineman and 1 Suggs type player that can play de/olb any given snap.

Even best case I think that troup/carrington are 50-50 to be long term starters. If one is a starter and one a solid rotational player, we've done well. We can certainly add bodies still.

I definitely agree.

wallbash:

It's not even certain Troup can play DT in a 4-3 but there is no way he will play DE in any scheme. He is a protypical NT with more weight on bottom than top and the legs to carry more tonnage. He will get plenty of snaps this year as a true NT and most likely playing the 1 technique in the 4-3 alongside KW.

As for the comment of what to do with Kelsay should Carrington emerge and Dareus is selected to play DE(don't foget they still have Dwan Edwards coming back from injury), I have one nice option - cut him. He can't play a 3-4 DE and can not play LB in this league. He is as unathletic as Maybin is clueless and unimaginative. Time to say good bye to both. Moats will start opposite Merriman and another OLB will be taken in the first three rounds, perhaps Von Miller n the first if Dareus is gone.