Trade Down Scenarios

I realize that it is very difficult to trade down in the first round, particularly when you are picking in the top five. The thought of trading down a few spots really intrigues me, however, as I see a lot of defensive talent in the first few rounds of this years draft. I have been thinking a lot about possible trade down scenarios, and IMHO, I have come up with one that kind of makes sense.

Here goes...

Buffalo trades #3 overall to San Francisco. San Francisco selects Blaine Gabbert with the #3 overall pick. Harbaugh gets his franchise QB.

In return Buffalo receives the #7 overall pick along with the 49ers' 2nd(#45) and 4th(#107) round picks.

Again, I know this is highly unlikely, but after racking my brain, this trade seems to make sense for both teams for a few reasons.

1. We all know that Buffalo has a lot of holes to fill. Having that extra 2nd round pick makes it fairly likely that Buffalo walks away with 3-4 legitimate starting caliber players.

2. Harbaugh tried to recruit Gabbert to come to Stanford, as he felt Gabbert was the best pro-style QB coming out of high school.

3. The 49ers would be able to jump ahead of Arizona and Cincinnati....both teams that are in great need of a QB.

4. The 49ers have 10 picks in this years draft. Even after the trade, they would still be left with the #3 overall, their 3rd round pick, a 4th round pick (obtained in a trade with San Diego), their 5th round pick, 2 sixth round picks, and 2 seventh round picks.

What do you think? In this scenario, would Buffalo be asking for too little in return? Am I crazy in assuming that Harbaugh covets Gabbert that much? Do the 49ers' decision makers like Gabbert as much as I think Harbaugh does?

All of this is assuming, of course, that Gabbert makes it to the #3 pick.

Thoughts? :D

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

If Gabbert is a franchise QB, then why would we be trading our pick and passing up on him?

Please read the OP again Bangarang. I never said that Gabbert is a franchise QB. A major part of the "trade scenario" was my speculation that Harbaugh covets Gabbert, and that the 49ers would be willing to trade up past Arizona and Cincinnati to get who they might perceive to be their franchise guy.

Because we are the Bills, and if we are there at 3, we will either pick a CB (not named Peterson) or a RB :)

You are wrong, the Bills will select someone who is rising fast on the draft charts due to buzz who could be available in the late first round or early second round then the Bills will trade back into the first round to select a position of need for a player that is not likely to pan out instead of the hall of famer they could have selected in the first round.

On a more serious note, I really believe at this point that Buddy Nix is a real general manager, which the Bills have not had since Butler. I think we will learn a lot about Buddy with this draft. I am just praying that there aren't any surprises like Maybin or Eric Flowers, you know those what the heck were they thinking.

I think Washington may be a team willing to trade up to get a QB.

I thought about this, but Washington doesn't have nearly the draft picks to play with that San Fran does. I believe they don't have a 3rd or 4th rounder this year. I'm not saying that they wouldn't mortgage their who draft, but I see it as unlikely.

Lets say the 1st pick is Newton and the second pick is Bower and SF wants to trade picks for

Gabbert these are the players some people covet (Dareus, Fairley, Peteson, Miller, Quinn) so the choice is do you want your absolute choice or are you willing to have at least the choice of two out of the five (maybe more if Green or Amukamara are picked before us) and some picks if you add Cam Jordan and J.J Watts to the mix you could push all the way out to Washington at 10 and still be sure to get one of these (Dareus, Fairley, Peteson, Miller, Quinn, Jordan, Watts).

Does anyone have verification about trading future picks without a CBA in place? I've heard various sources report both that you CAN trade future picks without a CBA and that you CAN'T trade future picks. So I really don't know what's accurate.

Without getting a 1st rounder next year, there's no scenario worth trading down for in my opinion. You cannot pass up on an elite prospect without getting a (high) first rounder in compensation next season. It's settling for mediocrity.

Edited by tgreg99

Does anyone have verification about trading future picks without a CBA in place? I've heard various sources report both that you CAN trade future picks without a CBA and that you CAN'T trade future picks. So I really don't know what's accurate.

Without getting a 1st rounder next year, there's no scenario worth trading down for in my opinion. You cannot pass up on an elite prospect without getting a (high) first rounder in compensation next season. It's settling for mediocrity.

yeah except there is no consensus who is the elite player is, Bowers, Fairley, Peterson, Green, and now Dareus have all been on the big boards as #1 BPA and Both Newton and Gabbert have been #1 on different Mocks- also if you're talking about getting the best 3-4 DE there is no consensus there either with Dareus, Fairley, Jordan, Watts all getting votes OLB some like Miller and some like Quinn, WR many like Green but some like Jones the only consensus I've seen is Peterson is the #1 DB thats about it.

Washington, Minnesota, Miami, Seattle and possibly Cleveland could be after a QB in this draft. Any one of these teams can trade up to get a QB a head of our pick. Seattle probably would not do that since they lost a pick to us for the Lynch trade. but the others could. I do see Minnestoa as a team to watch out for. I would hate to see Miami move a head of our pick to get a QB. They have been terrible at evaluating QB's over the years, but They might be desperate enough to move up this year. Minnesota is not sold on Travereus Jackson. They I think would be the most obvious choice of teams on the move. They need a QB just as bad as we do. I do hope that we go D-Line first any way, but I hope all the good QBs are not gone. I like Kapernick out of Nevada. Ponder is good and I like the TCU QB too. If we get one of them, I hope we dont have to grab one in the second, because I think thats early for them, but if they are all getting picked up, we will need to get a good one. I dont want a guy like Devlin. Thats like getting another 3rd string QB

Really simple, in a draft that is deep in talent at the very positions you covet you trade down a few spots and still grab a top player at his position and also pick up a quality role player or two. If someone offered us a 1+2 in the top 10 spots I would have to take it.... this year... A top 10 pick and two picks in the top 10 in the second round? I'll take that over a 1st next year any day!

In the above example, Our #3 is worth 2200 on the NFL value chart.... the Niners 1+2 are worth 2010 for a difference of 190 or roughly a mid 3rd round pick. Knowing the 49ers have those extra late round picks and a desire to move up.... I'd ask initially for their 3rd.... comeback with their 4th, and the settle for one or two extra picks in the late rounds.... still just take a straight 1+2 but I'd make them sweat that one a little....

Now we aren't offering this trade to them, they are coming to us, so we have the position of power!

Edited by UticaBill

If Gabbert is a franchise QB, then why would we be trading our pick and passing up on him?

we need palyers,getting another 2 an4 and we could package those picks to get back into the second third of the first round and get a stud defensive player and we could possably still draft a QB @ 7 if cam falls or we would get a stud defensive player.

of we could get a stud defensive player @ 7 and then get back into the first round and get our QB and still have our #34 pick in the second round and get a stud Defebsive player or ou startin RT.

i think it would be a great trade.

we need palyers,getting another 2 an4 and we could package those picks to get back into the second third of the first round and get a stud defensive player and we could possably still draft a QB @ 7 if cam falls or we would get a stud defensive player.

of we could get a stud defensive player @ 7 and then get back into the first round and get our QB and still have our #34 pick in the second round and get a stud Defebsive player or ou startin RT.

i think it would be a great trade.

I think the Idea thing would be 1.Newton 2.Bower 3.Trade SF Gabbert 4. Green 5. Miller 6.Quinn 7. the Bills with the choice of Dareus, Fairley or Peterson

Really simple, in a draft that is deep in talent at the very positions you covet you trade down a few spots and still grab a top player at his position and also pick up a quality role player or two. If someone offered us a 1+2 in the top 10 spots I would have to take it.... this year... A top 10 pick and two picks in the top 10 in the second round? I'll take that over a 1st next year any day!

In the above example, Our #3 is worth 2200 on the NFL value chart.... the Niners 1+2 are worth 2010 for a difference of 190 or roughly a mid 3rd round pick. Knowing the 49ers have those extra late round picks and a desire to move up.... I'd ask initially for their 3rd.... comeback with their 4th, and the settle for one or two extra picks in the late rounds.... still just take a straight 1+2 but I'd make them sweat that one a little....

Now we aren't offering this trade to them, they are coming to us, so we have the position of power!

It's so simple, yet rarely happens. Makes sense.

It's so simple, yet rarely happens. Makes sense.

Bangarang, you're so droll. I enjoy you though. You're right, it's not at all simple to trade back when you are picking in the top five of the first round. That's why it very rarely happens. It's fun to imagine scenarios where this might happen, however, as having multiple picks in the 2nd round would be better for the Bills than picking a so called "top-tier" player at #3 (IMO). As I see it, there wouldn't be much of a drop off in talent when picking at #7 as opposed to picking at #3.

A lowly Bills fan can dream....can't he? What else do we have?

With the rookie cap coming into play this year, teams will be more willing to move up. The lower the signing bonus, the lower risk.

I can see the Pats trading up in this scenario

The Pats have a young core of great players and will be facing a dilema if they were to use all there picks. They have 7picks in the first 4 rounds. 4 picks in the top 60. ( 17,28,33,60 ) the problem they will have is that they will have to much talent, and they will be forced to make some tough cuts come september. NE can trade up for a number of different players to name a few. Peterson, Dareus, Quinn, AJ Green, Von Miller.

This will be my favorite scenario. We trade are #3 for there 17, 28, and 33. That leaves us with picks 17,28,33,34.

#17-Ryan Kerrigan= edge rusher can play multiple fronts 3-4, 4-3 hybrid player

#28-Phil Taylor= true Nose tackle. I call him Raji 2.0.

#33-Justin Houston = let's go D again another hybid type player. I would love to see this but its more likely the Bills go RT here Gabe Carimi or Marcus Cannon.

#34-Ryan Mallett or Kaepernick. I would take Mallett, and I'm still holding out hope that Buddy opens up his eyes on this kid but at the end of the day Kaepernick is a better fit for Chan ball. This scenario fills multiple needs for us and makes a lot of sense. I would do 10 back flips if we can pull this off

Edited by DontCrossDaMoats

Well there is NO rookie cap for this year YET.... and we may not even have a season.... but either way it won't happen BEFORE the draft so NO... teams are NOT going to move up any more than in the past....

Edited by UticaBill

You are wrong, the Bills will select someone who is rising fast on the draft charts due to buzz who could be available in the late first round or early second round then the Bills will trade back into the first round to select a position of need for a player that is not likely to pan out instead of the hall of famer they could have selected in the first round.

On a more serious note, I really believe at this point that Buddy Nix is a real general manager, which the Bills have not had since Butler. I think we will learn a lot about Buddy with this draft. I am just praying that there aren't any surprises like Maybin or Eric Flowers, you know those what the heck were they thinking.

Buddy was real astute last year taking Spiller and also getting Corny Green as a FA to solve opur RT issue so I am real relaxed right now.

Well there is NO rookie cap for this year YET.... and we may not even have a season.... but either way it won't happen BEFORE the draft so NO... teams are NOT going to move up any more than in the past....

No, no no no no. Before the players decertified one of the key issues that they agreed with the owners was to implement a rookie cap. All teams know bout this and will act accordingly. Remember these rookies will just be drafted in April, but they will not be able to sign any contracts with the teams that drafted them until the labor deal is completed. And believe it there will not be any football next year if a rookie cap is not implemented first.. So take it for what its worth. ROOKIE CAP IS A GUARANTEE

With the rookie cap coming into play this year, teams will be more willing to move up. The lower the signing bonus, the lower risk.

I can see the Pats trading up in this scenario

The Pats have a young core of great players and will be facing a dilema if they were to use all there picks. They have 7picks in the first 4 rounds. 4 picks in the top 60. ( 17,28,33,60 ) the problem they will have is that they will have to much talent, and they will be forced to make some tough cuts come september. NE can trade up for a number of different players to name a few. Peterson, Dareus, Quinn, AJ Green, Von Miller.

This will be my favorite scenario. We trade are #3 for there 17, 28, and 33. That leaves us with picks 17,28,33,34.

#17-Ryan Kerrigan= edge rusher can play multiple fronts 3-4, 4-3 hybrid player

#28-Phil Taylor= true Nose tackle. I call him Raji 2.0.

#33-Justin Houston = let's go D again another hybid type player. I would love to see this but its more likely the Bills go RT here Gabe Carimi or Marcus Cannon.

#34-Ryan Mallett or Kaepernick. I would take Mallett, and I'm still holding out hope that Buddy opens up his eyes on this kid but at the end of the day Kaepernick is a better fit for Chan ball. This scenario fills multiple needs for us and makes a lot of sense. I would do 10 back flips if we can pull this off

I really think I'd pass out if this even came close to happening (not that it couldn't, just wouldn't be expecting it). Would love Taylor at #28 (who many have the Jets taking at #30) and the #17 pick would be interesting just to see who is there then (such as Kerrigan).

This may be why Belichick has been stockpiling picks, just hope it would be us he (or anyone else for that matter) would be wanting to trade up with.

I'd love to see the Bills trade down a few spots if given the chance to do so and get extra picks. With no consensus #1 QB or player overall in this draft, the #3 pick seems to be more of a risk than normal at this point.

I really think I'd pass out if this even came close to happening (not that it couldn't, just wouldn't be expecting it). Would love Taylor at #28 (who many have the Jets taking at #30) and the #17 pick would be interesting just to see who is there then (such as Kerrigan).

This may be why Belichick has been stockpiling picks, just hope it would be us he (or anyone else for that matter) would be wanting to trade up with.

I'd love to see the Bills trade down a few spots if given the chance to do so and get extra picks. With no consensus #1 QB or player overall in this draft, the #3 pick seems to be more of a risk than normal at this point.

Although obtaining NE's 17, 28, & 33 would be incredible, I highly doubt that the Bills would do such business with the Pat's (or any other team in the AFC East for that matter). Stranger things have happened though....I guess?

1. We all know that Buffalo has a lot of holes to fill. Having that extra 2nd round pick makes it fairly likely that Buffalo walks away with 3-4 legitimate starting caliber players.

That would be great, but after last year's draft I don't have a lot of confidence in the team to draft those players. :flirt:

Buffalo trades #3 overall to San Francisco. San Francisco selects Blaine Gabbert with the #3 overall pick.

In return Buffalo receives the #7 overall pick along with the 49ers' 2nd(#45) and 4th(#107) round picks.

I'm simulating this trade:

Round Pick Team Selection Psn School C

1 1 Carolina Da'Quan Bowers DE43 Clemson

1 2 Denver Marcell Dareus DT43 Alabama

1 3 San Francisco Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri

1 4 Cincinnati Cameron Newton QB Auburn

1 5 Arizona Patrick Peterson CB LSU

1 6 Cleveland Von Miller OLB43 Texas A&M

1 7 Buffalo Nick Fairley DE34 Auburn

2 34 Buffalo Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame

3 68 Buffalo K.J. Wright ILB Mississippi State

4 99 Buffalo Greg Romeus OLB34 Pittsburgh

4 107 Buffalo Korey Lindsey CB Southern Illinois

4 121 Buffalo Tim Barnes OC Missouri

5 130 Buffalo James Brewer OT Indiana

6 164 Buffalo Delone Carter RBF Syracuse

7 195 Buffalo Lee Smith TE Marshall

Thanks Astro

Love picks 1-4. I think Wright is vastly under rated, and will be a starter in this league someday (although I think Sheppard is the Bills pick if he's there). Not a big fan of Korey Lindsey or Tim Barnes. I would rather take Moffit with one of those picks. I like Delone Carter as a late-round option, and Lee Smith is a beastly run-blocking TE. He doesn't add much in the passing game, but he certainly would help out tremendously in the run game and special teams.

need pick 45

need pick 45

I re-simulated including the #45 pick from San Francisco.

7. Nick Fairley DT Auburn

34. Nate Solder OT Colorado

45. Jabaal Sheard OLB Pittsburgh

68. Colin Kaepernick QB Nevada

99. Owen Marecic ILB Stanford

107. Edmund Gates WR Abilene Christian

130. Julius Thomas TE Portland St.

164. Quinton Carter SS Oklahoma

195. Harold Ayodele DT Emporia St.

No, no no no no. Before the players decertified one of the key issues that they agreed with the owners was to implement a rookie cap. All teams know bout this and will act accordingly. Remember these rookies will just be drafted in April, but they will not be able to sign any contracts with the teams that drafted them until the labor deal is completed. And believe it there will not be any football next year if a rookie cap is not implemented first.. So take it for what its worth. ROOKIE CAP IS A GUARANTEE

Not so fast my friend.... If the players win their injunction law suit then the NFL operates under the current existing CBA. It is conceivable with the time it could take to play out in the courts that the 2011 season is actually played using the current CBA.

Give up the chance to take a franchise QB at 3 and instead pick a JC kid one year wonder at 7 and a project QB in the the third round?

Now Cam Jordan at 7 and Ponder, Mallet, or Locker in the third - that would work.

Edited by Dadonkadonk

Not so fast my friend.... If the players win their injunction law suit then the NFL operates under the current existing CBA. It is conceivable with the time it could take to play out in the courts that the 2011 season is actually played using the current CBA.

Give up the chance to take a franchise QB at 3 and instead pick a JC kid one year wonder at 7 and a project QB in the the third round?

Now Cam Jordan at 7 and Ponder, Mallet, or Locker in the third - that would work.

I agree with you except I would take JJ Watt at #7 and then Mallett/Ponder/Kaepernick in the 3rd. Locker just seems like a trainwreck to me...in the NFL.

I realize that it is very difficult to trade down in the first round, particularly when you are picking in the top five. The thought of trading down a few spots really intrigues me, however, as I see a lot of defensive talent in the first few rounds of this years draft. I have been thinking a lot about possible trade down scenarios, and IMHO, I have come up with one that kind of makes sense.

Here goes...

Buffalo trades #3 overall to San Francisco. San Francisco selects Blaine Gabbert with the #3 overall pick. Harbaugh gets his franchise QB.

Again, I know this is highly unlikely, but after racking my brain, this trade seems to make sense for both teams for a few reasons.

2. Harbaugh tried to recruit Gabbert to come to Stanford, as he felt Gabbert was the best pro-style QB coming out of high school.

3. The 49ers would be able to jump ahead of Arizona and Cincinnati....both teams that are in great need of a QB.

4. The 49ers have 10 picks in this years draft. Even after the trade, they would still be left with the #3 overall, their 3rd round pick, a 4th round pick (obtained in a trade with San Diego), their 5th round pick, 2 sixth round picks, and 2 seventh round picks.

What do you think? In this scenario, would Buffalo be asking for too little in return? Am I crazy in assuming that Harbaugh covets Gabbert that much? Do the 49ers' decision makers like Gabbert as much as I think Harbaugh does?

All of this is assuming, of course, that Gabbert makes it to the #3 pick.

I put out this exact scenario a couple of weeks ago on here...except instead of a 4th rounder this year, I included a third rounder next year with the 2nd rounder at #45 and swapping firsts with S.Fran..I agree that there is excellent defensive talent that is deep in this draft...I think we still pick up a great player at #9. I think the right spot to pickup a QB with potential is with our 2nd pick in the 2nd round..I think two players have potential to be drafted by the Bills at that pick...either Jake Locker or Colin Kapernick. Both have unusually strong arms and our also very good on their feet. If we wait to the third or fourth round we may like Ricky Stanzi from Iowa. He has good potential and stats..

Someone of quality is going to fall to #9 ..Top 10 players should include Da'Quan Bowers, Nick Fairley, Prince Akumura, AJ Green, Von Miller, Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Patrick Peterson, Marcell Dareus...any of these players could possibly become the NFL Rookie of the year..So why not get one of these guys and gain two extra picks? Can't wait till Apr 28th...

OK SF Trade re-simulated with hybrid 3-4 4-3 defense in mind Bill trade 1st for SF's 1st,2nd,4th

1. Car, Newton 2. Den, Bowers 3. SF Gabbert 4. Cin, Peterson 5. Ari Miller 6. Clev Green

7. Buf, Dareus

Bills draft

1. Dareus DE/NT/DT

2a Justin Houston OLB/DE

2b Kyle Rudolph TE

3. Bruce Carter LB

4a Mark Herzlich LB

4b Kenrick Ellis NT/DT

4c Mario Harvey LB

5. Joseph Barksdale ROT

6. Mario Fannin RB/FB

7. Da'Rel Scott RB

OK SF Trade re-simulated with hybrid 3-4 4-3 defense in mind Bill trade 1st for SF's 1st,2nd,4th

1. Car, Newton 2. Den, Bowers 3. SF Gabbert 4. Cin, Peterson 5. Ari Miller 6. Clev Green

7. Buf, Dareus

Bills draft

1. Dareus DE/NT/DT

2a Justin Houston OLB/DE

2b Kyle Rudolph TE

3. Bruce Carter LB

4a Mark Herzlich LB

4b Kenrick Ellis NT/DT

4c Mario Harvey LB

5. Joseph Barksdale ROT

6. Mario Fannin RB/FB

7. Da'Rel Scott RB

This looks much better with Houston in there. I doubt he will be available. Rudolph doesn't possess the value in the area that we need to prioritize in the 2nd round. I would much rather see a mlb which Nix said was a definite need area or even a guard or OT that will open up the run game on a consistant basis or even a qb at this point. Rudolph may not be a wasted pick but we can get much better value. Carter is not bad for the 3rd round. Not too sure of the others players.

I seriously doubt any trade down scenario if a cba agreement isn't made.

Edited by VADC Bills

This looks much better with Houston in there. I doubt he will be available. Rudolph doesn't possess the value in the area that we need to prioritize in the 2nd round. I would much rather see a mlb which Nix said was a definite need area or even a guard or OT that will open up the run game on a consistant basis or even a qb at this point. Rudolph may not be a wasted pick but we can get much better value. Carter is not bad for the 3rd round. Not too sure of the others players.

I seriously doubt any trade down scenario if a cba agreement isn't made.

Looked at ILBs for the 2nd round Wilson,Ayers,Sheppard, but to me they all have something lacking, Wilson has great measurables but looked clumsy in the drills, Ayers is big and smooth but has less than tremendous speed and a rep as a finesse player, Sheppard's Big and tough but 4.82 speed and will come out on passing plays - looking for a RT I had a similar problem but more like is this guy really that much better than a guy I can get in the 3rd 4th 5th round and to say something that will get me killed, I thought Cordaro Howard played RT pretty good until he got hurt. So I thought Rudolph was by far the best all around TE and an all around TE is something the Bills haven't had in a long time

I simulated my proposed San Fran trade again re-prioritizing 3-4 OLB as P-1

7. Robert Quinn OLB UNC

34. Kyle Rudolph TE ND

45. Adrian Clayborne DE Iowa

68. Chris Hairston OT Clemson

99. Chris White ILB Mississippi St.

107. Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa

130. Chykie Brown CB Texas

164. Shiloh Keo SS Idaho

195. D. Johnson-Koulianos WR Iowa

I simulated my proposed San Fran trade again re-prioritizing 3-4 OLB as P-1

7. Robert Quinn OLB UNC

34. Kyle Rudolph TE ND

45. Adrian Clayborne DE Iowa

68. Chris Hairston OT Clemson

99. Chris White ILB Mississippi St.

107. Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa

130. Chykie Brown CB Texas

164. Shiloh Keo SS Idaho

195. D. Johnson-Koulianos WR Iowa

Adrian Clayborne is an interesting player he doesn't have quite the length you'd like for a 3-4 DE and not quite as explosive as you'd like a RDE in the 4-3 but he's pretty damn strong and he shed blockers and made plays with ease in college.

I liked Quinn as the Bills pick before I saw him at the combine- not that he stunk or anything I just didn't think he separated himself from Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, Houston, or Reed. I did think that Von Miller separated himself a little bit he looked the best in the drills by a far margin to me.