Starting my own business

5 Wide

I've been working in marketing and internet marketing for about 8 years now, and i'm finally in the position to take all that i've learned and start applying it directly to myself. I'm not quitting the day job or anything yet, but it's amazing how much energy you have to keep pressing on when it's your own business.... it feels good.

I've teamed up with A friend who is a programmer and developer to create a group discount golf site for Western NY. We've been working on the functionality for the last 3 months and have some local courses already lined up to have some offers go live later this spring... It's pretty exciting now that things are starting to come together with it. It follows the Groupon style business model but focused solely on golf here in WNY. Anyway just wanted to share my excitement with the board now that spring is fast approaching.

I've been working in marketing and internet marketing for about 8 years now, and i'm finally in the position to take all that i've learned and start applying it directly to myself. I'm not quitting the day job or anything yet, but it's amazing how much energy you have to keep pressing on when it's your own business.... it feels good.

I've teamed up with A friend who is a programmer and developer to create a group discount golf site for Western NY. We've been working on the functionality for the last 3 months and have some local courses already lined up to have some offers go live later this spring... It's pretty exciting now that things are starting to come together with it. It follows the Groupon style business model but focused solely on golf here in WNY. Anyway just wanted to share my excitement with the board now that spring is fast approaching.

I like the golf idea, but you might want to try and piggyback it with something else that can be done in the winter as golf is only half the year around WNY. Maybe try to include golf domes from around the area for the fall and winter months when there is no golf. Just a thought.

I like the golf idea, but you might want to try and piggyback it with something else that can be done in the winter as golf is only half the year around WNY. Maybe try to include golf domes from around the area for the fall and winter months when there is no golf. Just a thought.

Or skiing.

Go for it!

If possible before you leave your "real" job, just take this advice. Save up for 18 months of having no income - you'll need it, chances are and what you don't use up go take yourself a vacation once things are rolling!

GOOD LUCK!

That was going to be my suggestion. In southern CA for example there area a shitload of courses open 52 weeks alone. Hell there are probably more coursedsin Palm Springs alone than in all of NY.

I would definitely love to not limit it to WNY, but for now, with somewhat limited resources and manpower, WNY is the focus. I figure it is better to do something very well on a limited scope and then try to expand, rather than to spread it too thinly at the start.

for a shameless plug, the website is www.bunkerdeals.com

Thanks for all the well wishes!!

Edited by 5 Wide

That was going to be my suggestion. In southern CA for example there area a shitload of courses open 52 weeks alone. Hell there are probably more coursedsin Palm Springs alone than in all of NY.

Of course, in PS they are all empty 9 months out of the year. But good point about expanding to warmer climates.