Peterson to visit Bills

Beerball

For the love of God, please oh please don't draft a CB with the #3 pick especially on a team that can't stop the run.

I would be suprised if we went this route but then again we have in the past. Maybe we are just keeping our options open to show other teams we could take him with our third overall and then maybe we'll trade back.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting development. Some scouts say he is the BPA of the entire draft. Bound to be available at 3.

I say if he is there the Bills should take him..... BPA was the Bills pick last year and I think they are going to do the same this year.

Spiller will be alright IMO. Peterson can start right away and play well and it would lead to the Bills Blitzing more with Merriman, Moats, and they can get a good player DE or LB at the top of the second round.

If we didn't have a ridiculous history with drafting DBs I would be all for this guy. The Bills have spent way way way too many picks on DBs over the last 14 years or so. We don't pay them. It's a fact. If we got this kid he would be gone in 4 years.

The only way that pick would make even the slightest amount of sense is if we dealt one of the DBs we already have for a pick or another position of need. Kept McKelvin and hope that he finally learns how to play with his legs under him instead of looking off balance and late....AND...we play man in the secondary 90% of the time to allow our crappy LBs and pretty good D-lineman to blitz...CONSTANTLY!

It's not the way I would do it but maybe then we could generate a pass rush and stop the run :wallbash:

Edited by PDaDdy

peterson is NOT a shut down corner....he is McKelvin 2.....great athlete, fast as hell, great return man, average cover skills.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I haven't seen anything to make me compare the two. McKelvin's problems I think are in his head. I hate to call a guy out but I think he performed VERY poorly on the wonderlick. So far I haven't heard or seen anything from Peterson that would make me put him in that category.

What have you seen that makes you think he is McKelvin 2.0 other than the similar great physical tools you sited?

Edited by PDaDdy

peterson is NOT a shut down corner....he is McKelvin 2.....great athlete, fast as hell, great return man, average cover skills.

I wouldn't compare him to McKelvin in any way. He's taller, 35lbs heavier, and quicker. I don't think he's a shut down corner either, but he's going to be very good in press coverage, and can play safety. He can also shift down and play LB in certain situations. The problem is at 184lbs McKelvin should be quick enough to be a shut down corner, but don't take that out on Peterson.

I would compare Peterson to Cromartie, but a willing tackler, if he plays corner. Or I could see him in an Ed Reed type of role, if he plays safety.

I wouldn't compare him to McKelvin in any way. He's taller, 35lbs heavier, and quicker. I don't think he's a shut down corner either, but he's going to be very good in press coverage, and can play safety. He can also shift down and play LB in certain situations. The problem is at 184lbs McKelvin should be quick enough to be a shut down corner, but don't take that out on Peterson.

I would compare Peterson to Cromartie, but a willing tackler, if he plays corner. Or I could see him in an Ed Reed type of role, if he plays safety.

I think the poster was saying much like mckelvin he got the label shutdown corner by scoring on kick returns. It's easy to forget giving up catches while your watching highlights of him scoring. Against better teams he was a little uneven in his play- I don't have the numbers in front of me but he gave up like 90 yards and a td to Julio jones, gave up like 8 catches in the bowl game, mallet threw for close to 350 against lsu....

Against the big boys he wasn't a shutdown corner, but he did make plays. I think anyone that expects shutdown revis style play is mistaken. He kind of like your reference to cromartie will use his big frame and speed to make plays and picks but he's not the crazy technician with no wasted steps and balls never going his way.

I think like mckelvin he might be overdrafted (or slide further then expected) because of much of his hype coming from the return game and what he does with the ball in his hands. Quite frankly at 3 I'd rather a guy that seals off his side of the field than a guy that plays well with the ball in his hands.

Like I said in the shoutbox, i live in new Orleans and work with several former lsu players, family of current players, and have seen almost every game he's played. I'm not some schmuck who saw a pp7 for heisman clip on YouTube. He's a real good player but top ten talent and far and away number one pick are not the same thing. Some team will be happy to get him early but I promise you we would regret it at 3.

I think the poster was saying much like mckelvin he got the label shutdown corner by scoring on kick returns. It's easy to forget giving up catches while your watching highlights of him scoring. Against better teams he was a little uneven in his play- I don't have the numbers in front of me but he gave up like 90 yards and a td to Julio jones, gave up like 8 catches in the bowl game, mallet threw for close to 350 against lsu....

Against the big boys he wasn't a shutdown corner, but he did make plays. I think anyone that expects shutdown revis style play is mistaken. He kind of like your reference to cromartie will use his big frame and speed to make plays and picks but he's not the crazy technician with no wasted steps and balls never going his way.

I think like mckelvin he might be overdrafted (or slide further then expected) because of much of his hype coming from the return game and what he does with the ball in his hands. Quite frankly at 3 I'd rather a guy that seals off his side of the field than a guy that plays well with the ball in his hands.

Like I said in the shoutbox, i live in new Orleans and work with several former lsu players, family of current players, and have seen almost every game he's played. I'm not some schmuck who saw a pp7 for heisman clip on YouTube. He's a real good player but top ten talent and far and away number one pick are not the same thing. Some team will be happy to get him early but I promise you we would regret it at 3.

He wont be a "shadow" like Revis, but he has better hands, closing speed and big play ability. That will scare the crap out of teams throwing against him, like a Deion. And at 6'1", 220 he's considerably bigger than both, making him more versatile and physical.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I'm not disagreeing with you but I haven't seen anything to make me compare the two. McKelvin's problems I think are in his head. I hate to call a guy out but I think he performed VERY poorly on the wonderlick. So far I haven't heard or seen anything from Peterson that would make me put him in that category.

What have you seen that makes you think he is McKelvin 2.0 other than the similar great physical tools you sited?

I think the part where superior return skills and athleticism are hiding sometimes suspect coverage skills. I think that pp7 is one of those guys that will have to learn the intricacies of footwork and no wasted steps. His hips might get him into trouble still. In college his speed and size helped hide some questions from coming up. I think some electric plays helped hide some missing pieces. Will he be very good? Probably. I don't think the he's clearly revis at corner and reed at safety posts are at all fair to anyone though.

He wont be a "shadow" like Revis, but he has better hands, closing speed and big play ability. That will scare the crap out of teams throwing against him, like a Deion. And at 6'1", 220 he's considerably bigger than both, making him more versatile and physical.

Joe- you seem to really love him so ive got to ask- What size should his HoF jacket be with those measurements? Is it possible he won't be a HoF player?

Joe- you seem to really love him so ive got to ask- What size should his HoF jacket be with those measurements? Is it possible he won't be a HoF player?

That your best counter-argument: sarcasm and putting words in my mouth? That's like admitting the guy IS THAT GOOD.

Pretty funny too from a guy who's been hyping Newton

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

That your best counter-argument: sarcasm and putting words in my mouth?

Pretty funny from a guy who's been hyping Newton

As my post about 5 mins ago said in the dareus thread - I'm glad I don't have to choose on newton. If nix and chan stake their legacies on that pick I think it will speak volumes. If they don't, I think it'll likewise. In the right spot he could be great, in the wrong he could be awful. I happen to think we have one of the better spots with fitz and chan.

I just have never seem you compare pp7 to anyone but hall of fame players. Honestly I think the cromartie one in this thread is probably far more accurate then the deion one. Realistically- do you think he will be a top 50 all time player like Deion? Do you think he is probable for the hall of fame? I'm just trying to pin down where you think he stacks up based on the comparisons and certainty he is the best player coming out

Alas, I'm probably too busy drooling over cam to have a coherent opinion.

Edited by NoSaint

he's not as tall as Cromartie, has even better hands, and is faster and way more explosive. At 10 lbs heavier he's also more physical and capable of playing strong safety. This guy can take over a game, Cromartie cannot. So unless he has a dozen kids or something I don't see the Cromartie comparison as best. btw, I like Cromartie too, he showed me a lot this year. I'm just saying ...

Also, when was Revis inaugrated into the HoF? I know he's highly regarded around the league, but I had no idea he's already in after 4 seasons and while still being active. Congrats!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

he's not as tall as Cromartie, has even better hands, and is faster and way more explosive. At 10 lbs heavier he's also more physical. This guy can take over a game, Cromartie cannot. So unless he has a dozen kids or something I don't see the Cromartie comparison as best.

And btw, when was Revis inaugrated into the HoF? I know he's highly regarded around the league, but I had no idea he's already in after 4 seasons and while still being active. Congrats!! :thumbsup:

Joe - you compared him to Deion not revis. last I checked Deion IS in the hall.

I said the cromartie comparison is probably better than revis or even Deion. The cromartie came with a more physical tag if you read the post. He's got a big frame, fast, makes picks but isn't considered a shutdown guy. Not everything has to be a perfect match - but as a generalization I think Peterson will rack up some picks, make some probowls but not be a hall of famer - kind of like cro. I don't think he is going to dominate every week, but I think he will rack up some outstanding games along the way. Is it an insult to say he might not be the best corner ever, But just a very good one?

I compared him to Revis and Deion, saying not as much of a shadow as Revis but more closing speed like Deion ... I was using them as different spectrums of shutdown corner. But fine, I can see how someone thinks thats not comparing him to Revis. I would however appreciate again not putting words in my mouth like "best corner ever." He has the potential, but like any player at any position a lot of things have to fall into place. As for Cro, he seriously has it all over that guy, and Cro is good!

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I compared him to Revis and Deion, saying not as much of a shadow as Revis but more closing speed like Deion ... I was using them as different spectrums of shutdown corner. But fine, I can see how someone thinks thats not comparing him to Revis. I would however appreciate again not putting words in my mouth like "best corner ever." He has the potential, but like any player at any position a lot of things have to fall into place. As for Cro, he seriously has it all over that guy, and Cro is good!

When you group him with the guys you do and gush about his ability like you do it's easy to slide the best corner ever into the comment unfairly, and perhaps I did go to far with it. If I went to far, I apologize but I haven't heard you back down from him being under that all time elite grouping. I am still curious where you forecast his career as going. You consistently compare him to all time greats and players that have put up best ever type seasons. Clearly you see probowls- hall of fame? Possibly all time NFL team potential?

I also think that tho more physical then cro he still is just a willing participant in the run game, not an eager hitter that seeks contact. I still think that he bites on double moves trying to make big plays more then he should. Gives up comebacks too much in order to protect deep. I know those last two contradict but when the routes break he isn't near flawless at guessing right, and has been tricked especially by better teams. I think he plays conservative giving guys like Julio jones cushion and short catches and playing risky against teams like mcneese. He gave up a lot of catches that you don't like to see a top corner give up. He also made a lot of plays that top corners don't. Ultimately I'm splitting hairs between an A and an A+ not passing and failing.

I don't want to forecast that far into the future for anyone. As I said, so many things have to fall into place, and I wouldn't want to jinx someone. Just stay in the moment and let the guy play, history can judge that other stuff. I do know the guy has big time skills, in a size/strength/speed/versatility/attitude package that's rarely been seen.

I do see where the "not super polished cover guy" argument is coming from though. That's what I noticed when I went back and watched videos of him. But I think some of that of course can be learned by more targeted NFL coaching. Also, part of that will be his style of baiting guys to throw at him like, you called it, Deion, thinking they'll under estimate his closing his speed and he can make the quick 6 pick in stride. Revis doesn't do any baiting, he just wants to blanket a guy so they dont throw his way. Deion would take chances ... so maybe he gave up a few more receptions, but he also had more picks and returns than Revis will. Given how important momentum swings are in football, I lean toward the Deion model. But here I'll also concede Peterson's pure coverage skills arent to the level Deions were in college. And neither one are to Revis. But Im willing to take a flyer on this with Peterson given all the other stuff he brings to the table.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The one thing I will add - the combine numbers point to cro being 2 inches taller, only 10 lbs lighter, .05 slower in the 40 but with better vertical, and broad. Pp7 had better 3 cone. Maybe cro is a little more explosive with more short space range with his frame/jump/burst and pp a little faster and more agile based off those numbers? both very good sets of numbers though.

At that point desire drive and instincts mean more then an extra hundredth of a second or inch here or there. I dont doubt peterson has a better head from what I know. Just throwing some comparisons.

Edited by NoSaint

The one thing I will add - the combine numbers point to cro being 2 inches taller, only 10 lbs lighter, .05 slower in the 40 but with better vertical, and broad. Pp7 had better 3 cone. Maybe cro is a little more explosive with more short space range with his frame/jump/burst and pp a little faster and more agile based off those numbers? both very good sets of numbers though.

At that point desire drive and instincts mean more then an extra hundredth of a second or inch here or there. I dont doubt peterson has a better head from what I know. Just throwing some comparisons.

Also consider Cro could never play strong safety. Peterson could be a terrific one. No guarantees, but the potential is there.