Is it racist to say

What about red-headed quarterbacks? Just thinking fast, I can't really think of any that have won Super Bowls. Long-haired quarterbacks? They'd have to prove it, because I mean, there'd be no reason to think they'd be any good without SEEING it first, and getting some RINGS.

Face it bro, u racist.

Brad Johnson was a red-headed QB and won the SB with the Tampa Bay Bucs.

I'm guessing Joe Namath was longest-haired QB to win an SB. But at least it wasn't a mullet.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not whether or not a player is black in itself, it's that many of the more heralded black QB's are usually in that spotlight because they can blow away college athletes with their raw athleticism..They can not usually translate that into the pro game. We can not be blinded by amazing athleticism when an NFL QB's game is played within a pocket using his mind and arm and are encouraged to not rely on mobility. So rather then get caught up in this college spread offense, running QB who didn't actually perform all that well as a natural functioning QB and focus on a few QB's who are so much closer to NFL caliber due to their style and college preparation who will have an easy transition ie Gabbert, Locker, Ponder...

And why would we pick Newton 3rd overall when he's rated by most experts as only the third best QB in this draft, first QB off the board should not be the 3rd best at his position, and only 4th or 5th in my opinion. No logic could explain this. He'll be hangin out with Vince Young and Jamarcus Russel soon enough.

that white players are better Quarterbacks in the NFL?

According to Wiki Answers there are 3,867 white athletes vs 11,978 black athletes in the NFL.

How can there be almost 16,000 athletes in the NFL? Is the new collective bargaining agreement going to expand rosters to 500?

How can there be almost 16,000 athletes in the NFL? Is the new collective bargaining agreement going to expand rosters to 500?

Haven't you heard? White people like to fudge numbers.

Yeah dude your like the 10th person to note that error, so you're not exactly original. I must have made an error in reading the wiki answer. Could you ever forgive me? But I think you get the point, don't you. There's an overwhelming minority and majority. If you're that worried about it, go count up the players. Jeesh. Coo Coo.

so are latinos stupid AND physically ungifted?

What about Chinamen? There is only one of them in the whole league.

It's not whether or not a player is black in itself, it's that many of the more heralded black QB's are usually in that spotlight because they can blow away college athletes with their raw athleticism..They can not usually translate that into the pro game. We can not be blinded by amazing athleticism when an NFL QB's game is played within a pocket using his mind and arm and are encouraged to not rely on mobility. So rather then get caught up in this college spread offense, running QB who didn't actually perform all that well as a natural functioning QB and focus on a few QB's who are so much closer to NFL caliber due to their style and college preparation who will have an easy transition ie Gabbert, Locker, Ponder...

What style? Hair style? Clothing style? Skin color style?

Yeah dude your like the 10th person to note that error, so you're not exactly original. I must have made an error in reading the wiki answer. Could you ever forgive me? But I think you get the point, don't you. There's an overwhelming minority and majority. If you're that worried about it, go count up the players. Jeesh. Coo Coo.

Nobody did it on page one or page five and I wasn't go to wade through pages 2-4 to find out....I figured somebody would have said it by the end of page one if it was going to be said..........You could count them, but I prefer to multiply them - say 65 tops on a roster X 32 teams = 2080 if my calculator works.....When you read the number of 16,000 didn't it seem ridiculously high?

Maybin...if he were whit, black, or anything else, he still sucks...this is the one league in which play seems to REALLY detrime pay....GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that white players are better Quarterbacks in the NFL?

According to Wiki Answers there are 3,867 white athletes vs 11,978 black athletes in the NFL. It's obvious that it's a difficult thing for a white player to compete with black players in the NFL. And it's not just at skill positions. It appears that they only excel at QB play, Kicking, and Punting. No one knows why that is and you could debate that topic all day long. Could it be that white athletes gravitate towards the QB position based on they might enjoy the studying part of the position more than the black athlete? And the white athlete recognizes that as an edge or a way to compete with their more athletic black counterparts. Is that a racist thing to say? I don't think so.

Why can't we just talk about the "elephant in the room"? If anyone saw Cam Newton in his under armour at the combine, and you don't think he's the most physically gifted QB in the draft you're crazy. But the questions about him are centered around does he have the mind of an NFL QB. Can he lead a group of Men. Is he as fierce in the film room as he is in the weight room. Does he ENJOY that part of the position?

I honestly am not posting this to incite hateful debate, but honest debate.

Its not racist just plain stupid!

Nobody did it on page one or page five and I wasn't go to wade through pages 2-4 to find out....I figured somebody would have said it by the end of page one if it was going to be said..........You could count them, but I prefer to multiply them - say 65 tops on a roster X 32 teams = 2080 if my calculator works.....When you read the number of 16,000 didn't it seem ridiculously high?

Your not going to wade through 4 pages and your questioning my effort?

Your not going to wade through 4 pages and your questioning my effort?

When did I question your effort? It takes no effort to realize that 16,000 NFL players makes no sense. If 10 other people brought up the same thing on pages 2-3, then go bother them.

If one thinks race is the reason for a QB's perfomance then yes. If one believes that race may a factor in sterotyping and judging a QB, then they are probably correct and it is not racist. If one thinks that race is a factor in the way a QB is thought of then, its not racist. If one were to think that a black QB is expected to be mobile and not a pocket passer while a white QB is a pocket passer normally, then that is also not racist.

What is there to really debate here? I am sure young inner city youth see Vick and Newton, as well as other QB's and are inspired to be a running QB. The game is more fun to a better athlete that way, too. So simply put, it is a great likelihood that a QB is shaped by his surroundings instead of the color of his kids.

You were making some fair arguments until you got to the bolded part. Saying that makes you come across as a hateful white person. I don't know if this was your intention, but you should know how it sounds to others.

If you want a real answer, first of all black QBs are only recently on a fairly level playing field. In past generations, blacks were dissuaded from playing QB at all levels of football. Even today, although the NFL is forward thinking, there is still quite of backwards thinking in the collegiate and high school ranks. I don't think this is relevant to Cam Newton, as he has every opportunity, I'm just saying that prior to 2000 that data is pretty skewed.

Doug Williams won a SB btw, but was not a franchise QB. I'd say McNabb and Vick are/were franchise QBs, but no SBs obviously. Warren Moon and Randall Cunningham were franchise QBs, also.

Whites have clearly had more success at QB than blacks. Vice versa for many other positions. Howerver, don't try to act like there have never been good black QBs or there never will again, because that's just not the case.

Jim Kelly never won a SB either, but he was still a great QB!

edit: as far as the throw farther thing, it's not really that correct. I'm not sure if you realize this but throwing it farther is not that important, anyways. It's throwing it ACCURATELY. White people are good at this - look at baseball. There are still lots of white pitchers dominating despite the influx of many different ethnicities. There are pitchers of other ethnicities dominating too, but white people are not at some genetic disadvantage there.

Thanks Napol for introducing some sane thought into this debate. It is fairly simple in that folks can plunk any label on others that they want or Frank Luntz tells them too, but the bottom line is that no manipulation of the gross statistics justifies discriminating against an individual or makes it a good thing or even intelligent to ignore what an individual does or can do.

Eugenics can simply be tossed it makes no sense in terms of reaching the goals you want to reach or in fostering the best performance out of a QB be he Tom Brady, Doug Williams, or whomever to prejudge them based on whatever gross statistics are out there.

Is it racist to read the statistical facts in some particular way or another?

Maybe.

Is it racist and in fact stupid to let this reading of the facts dictate whether you take a player who can do the job or maybe not. Yep.

There is no logical reason not to treat and individual choice as based on the performance of that individual.

"Is it racist to say....that white players are better Quarterbacks in the NFL?"

Yes, it is. :thumbdown::censored:

Doug Williams out-threw the great and white John Elway as the Redskins blew out the Broncos back in the 1987 or '88 Super Bowl. I think Williams was SB MVP too, if I'm not mistaken. Even if he wasn't the guy threw for well over 300 yards and many TD's in that game of his life. Too bad the great and white Jim Kelly never played that well in any of his 4 Super Bowl games, and Jim Kelly is my all time favorite Buffalo Bill. (Of course he would still be my all time favorite Buffalo Bill even if he had been....gasp....black!)

So let's see, out of over 8,0000 blah blah black NFL players there are only a few blah blah starting QB's and blah blah blah.

Hey here's a better racist question for you: "are black players better power forwards in the NBA?" Or here's an even better racist question for you; "are white players better centers in the NHL?" Oh wait I've got another one, "Are Hispanics better first basemen in MLB?"

Who cares "how many more of one race there are in any position of any sport then another race?" Oh I know who cares, racists do. Congratulations Mr. "Elephant in the Room", nothing like showing off your ignorance.

By the way, 25 years before Lebron and Carmello, Larry Bird battled the very best NBA player in history, Michael Jordan. Were you around to watch that white guy Bird go head to head against the black guy Jordon for years? I doubt that you were. Grant Fuhr won 4 or 5 Stanley Cups as the black goalie for Wayne Gretzky's Edmonton Oilers - wow, there's a shocker, huh? You think anyone in Edmonton cared as to why so many more white players played goalie in the NHL in those days??

No matter how many players of one race "gravitate" to certain positions of certain sports, there will always be great examples of other races playing those positions and sports, no matter how "few" end up doing it.

Funny, that seems to be one of the things that makes America so great - the freedom of anyone of any race to decide to excel at anything he or she wants to!

No point in getting sore over others pointing out your hilarious mistake. Just own it. You'll feel better.

I'm not sore at all. I just think he's lazy. I also admitted the mistake. What else would you have me do? The point was made and he was too lazy to see that his redundancy was as lazy as my mistake.

I'm not sore at all. I just think he's lazy. I also admitted the mistake. What else would you have me do? The point was made and he was too lazy to see that his redundancy was as lazy as my mistake.

The lazy thing is allowing a doctrinal view like race determines abilities or results as a crutch instead of making real assessments of individuals.

Even if were true that a statistical variation in how one chooses to configure large statistical pools somehow justifies not judging an individual as an individual we are all lost.

To judge (really prejudge) an individual based om gross statistical analysis is not simply racist (if race is the statistical factor looked at) but just un-American in the worst way.