Is it racist to say

that white players are better Quarterbacks in the NFL?

According to Wiki Answers there are 3,867 white athletes vs 11,978 black athletes in the NFL. It's obvious that it's a difficult thing for a white player to compete with black players in the NFL. And it's not just at skill positions. It appears that they only excel at QB play, Kicking, and Punting. No one knows why that is and you could debate that topic all day long. Could it be that white athletes gravitate towards the QB position based on they might enjoy the studying part of the position more than the black athlete? And the white athlete recognizes that as an edge or a way to compete with their more athletic black counterparts. Is that a racist thing to say? I don't think so.

Why can't we just talk about the "elephant in the room"? If anyone saw Cam Newton in his under armour at the combine, and you don't think he's the most physically gifted QB in the draft you're crazy. But the questions about him are centered around does he have the mind of an NFL QB. Can he lead a group of Men. Is he as fierce in the film room as he is in the weight room. Does he ENJOY that part of the position?

I honestly am not posting this to incite hateful debate, but honest debate.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't we just talk about the "elephant in the room"? If anyone saw Cam Newton in his under armour at the combine, and you don't think he's the most physically gifted QB in the draft you're crazy. But the questions about him are centered around does he have the mind of an NFL QB. Can he lead a group of Men. Is he as fierce in the film room as he is in the weight room. Does he ENJOY that part of the position?

What does any of that have to do with the color of his skin?

What does any of that have to do with the color of his skin?

That's a cop out. I'm not saying it should be, but it is. I think there is a concern about black QB's love of the film room and I think that's why white athletes tend to excel at the QB position in the NFL. Again I don't mean that in a condescending way. There's a huge disparity in the amount of black vs white athletes in the NFL, except at the QB - punting - and kicking positions. My theory is that black athletes don't like to punt and kick from an enjoying stand point, and a possible reason for the QB situation is the amount of film room required. Could it be that the black athlete just doesn't enjoy that as much and the white athlete takes advantage of that and uses it to get into the NFL?

that white players are better Quarterbacks in the NFL?

According to Wiki Answers there are 3,867 white athletes vs 11,978 black athletes in the NFL. It's obvious that it's a difficult thing for a white player to compete with black players in the NFL. And it's not just at skill positions. It appears that they only excel at QB play, Kicking, and Punting. No one knows why that is and you could debate that topic all day long. Could it be that white athletes gravitate towards the QB position based on they might enjoy the studying part of the position more than the black athlete? And the white athlete recognizes that as an edge or a way to compete with their more athletic black counterparts. Is that a racist thing to say? I don't think so.

I honestly am not posting this to incite hateful debate, but honest debate.

You include the statement,"...against their more athletic black counterparts", apparently conceding that blacks are more athletic, but you skirt around the idea of white QB's being more intelligent, yet won't say it. Sounds like you've been indoctrinated in the social science of political correctness. It's probably a safe assumption that the majority of these "athletes" couldn't pass an entrance exam to go to college, if the respective college didn't have athletics. You'd have to look at the individual SAT minimum score requirements, GPA data, major studied, and graduation rates. Suffice to say, Ryan Fitzpatrick is more intelligent than Cam Newton.

You include the statement,"...against their more athletic black counterparts", apparently conceding that blacks are more athletic, but you skirt around the idea of white QB's being more intelligent, yet won't say it. Sounds like you've been indoctrinated in the social science of political correctness. It's probably a safe assumption that the majority of these "athletes" couldn't pass an entrance exam to go to college, if the respective college didn't have athletics. You'd have to look at the individual SAT minimum score requirements, GPA data, major studied, and graduation rates. Suffice to say, Ryan Fitzpatrick is more intelligent than Cam Newton.

I'm hardly skirting. But what I will say is, I think black people in general are more athletic than any other people. It's just a gift. You're right I didn't say white athletes are more intelligent, but not because I'm skirting, but because I don't think it's true. I think that white athletes get smarter in areas like QB play as an opportunity to gain an edge, because they often times can't physically compete with the black athletes.

I don't give a crap how smart you are, if you aren't as gifted at a position like wide receiver or tailback you have no chance. But at QB there are so many opportunities to work on non physical things, that white athletes gravitate towards that opportunity to be competitive.

I don't think black athletes can't do it, I just think they are less interested in that, and gravitate towards the physical. Which is a natural thing. "I'm good at this, I'll keep getting better at this." I think black athletes are enjoying the studying side more and more and that's why your seeing more black QB's. And if the light comes on in the film room with a guy like Newton, it's going to be crazy.

If I'm given a choice to select either Blaine Gabbert or Tyrod Taylor, I'm picking Taylor every day of the week. I actually hope the Bills do pick Taylor if he's there in the fourth.

IMO, if Blaine Gabbert were black he'd be an afterthought and considered a middle round pick. So much of that guy is the so-called picture perfect image of the franchise QB.

If I'm given a choice to select either Blaine Gabbert or Tyrod Taylor, I'm picking Taylor every day of the week. I actually hope the Bills do pick Taylor if he's there in the fourth.

IMO, if Blaine Gabbert were black he'd be an afterthought and considered a middle round pick. So much of that guy is the so-called picture perfect image of the franchise QB.

Whenver I saw Tyrod in a game situation last year, the dude was making a play. Even in that bowl game, there was one play where he rolled out toward the sideline, and while almost being pressured out of bounds and backwards at the same time, he let loose this rocket of a pass into the endzone for a TD...it was one of the best passes I had seen all season and I watched a LOT of college ball last year. I would love for the Bills to grab this kid with one of the latter picks.

Whenver I saw Tyrod in a game situation last year, the dude was making a play. Even in that bowl game, there was one play where he rolled out toward the sideline, and while almost being pressured out of bounds and backwards at the same time, he let loose this rocket of a pass into the endzone for a TD...it was one of the best passes I had seen all season and I watched a LOT of college ball last year. I would love for the Bills to grab this kid with one of the latter picks.

I wonder if he's part of "the plan" that Wanny was cryptically talking about. Use the first three rounds on defense and an O lineman, then pick up the best QB of the draft (for them) in the 4th round.

It's simple really. The black athlete is typically raised as an individual, so teamwork is not as ingrained as often as less physically gifted white athletes. QB is the most "teamwork" dependent position. You gotta trust and know what your teammates are doing at all times. More often than not, whites are more used to this kind of environment.