Biggest draft decision in 25 years.

JinWPB

I have to admit, I'm glad I'm not the one making this decision. It is going to change the course of Bills football for the next 10 years .

The big question is pretty obvious, do we take Marcell Dareus or Cam Newton.

Both are rare talents that don't come around very often.

Marcell would solve a big problem on defense and fits nicely into Chan's plans for a hybrid line being able to play outside in a 3/4 or 4/3, or even

inside with his size and speed.How long have we waited for the second coming of Bruce Smith or Albert Haynsworth.

Cam Newton could be the next biggest Franchise QB to come along in years with a mix of the ability of Big Ben and Micheal Vick or maybe Ryan Leaf.

A Heisman QB ,winning the Championship in whatever level he has played at.

I have been thinking D,D,D like most on TSW but when you think about the future backfield we could have..... isn't it about time the first round curse ends.

Last night in a dream the Bills sacked Brady seven times in the first game, what an unstopable zone rush from Merriman and Dareus.

As I side historically,have not past Bill's uniform changes come with major change at starting QB. Just saying.

Winners want the Ball.

Chan Gailey / Buddy Nix post draft press.

Our thinking was with the depth at the D position we felt we could fill our needs in the later rounds.

A player like Cam Newton doesn't fall in your lap very often in the draft , if ever.

Why would you suggest we defer? Run away from a tough decision, I don't think that is the answer. And rarely does one first round draft pick effect a team for 10 years, unless it's a good one, and it benefits a team for 10 years. Which is also just as rare unless its a QB, because often times a player chooses another destination once his talent is realized.

Why would you suggest we defer? Run away from a tough decision, I don't think that is the answer. And rarely does one first round draft pick effect a team for 10 years, unless it's a good one, and it benefits a team for 10 years. Which is also just as rare unless its a QB, because often times a player chooses another destination once his talent is realized.

Defering is a pun on some past Bills coaching decisions.

Having the 3rd pick hopefully won't be something we see again till 2025 and many franchise players who stay healthy can carry a team for 10 years if the

owner is willing to pay-up.

As I side historically,have not past Bill's uniform changes come with major change at starting QB. Just saying.

Helmet changed to red while Joe Ferguson was QB. The reason given was because he was having difficulties distinguishing his teammates from division foes also with white helmets and was throwing a lot of interceptions. :rolleyes:

Defering is a pun on some past Bills coaching decisions.

Having the 3rd pick hopefully won't be something we see again till 2025 and many franchise players who stay healthy can carry a team for 10 years if the

owner is willing to pay-up.

Nightmare scenario: Bills' pick #3 on clock. Bills' War Room trying to decide and also receiving trade calls. With 60 seconds remaining to pick, war room calls reps at draft. Last thing rep hears is: "We've decided. We want.." Call is dropped. Bengals rush to turn in selection of Newton, who becomes Hall-of-Famer. Bills end up with Fairley, who eats himself out of the league in 3 years. DOH!

Nightmare scenario: Bills' pick #3 on clock. Bills' War Room trying to decide and also receiving trade calls. With 60 seconds remaining to pick, war room calls reps at draft. Last thing rep hears is: "We've decided. We want.." Call is dropped. Bengals rush to turn in selection of Newton, who becomes Hall-of-Famer. Bills end up with Fairley, who eats himself out of the league in 3 years. DOH!

Sigh-of-relief scenario: Bills' pick #3 on clock. Bills' War Room trying to decide and also receiving trade calls. With 60 seconds remaining to pick, war room calls reps at draft. Last thing rep hears is: "We've decided. We want.." Call is dropped. Bengals rush to turn in selection of Newton, who turns into Vince Young pt. 2. Bills end up with Fairley, who leads the Bills D to top 3 D-rankings for 10 straight years. SWEET!

The reason it's so important is because at #3, we have a better chance to draft a guy that will benefit our team for 10 years. It's a tough decision for sure. Do you draft a guy that is almost a sure thing to be a very good player (Dareus) or a guy that still has a ways to go, but could he a franchise QB that leads our team to the playoffs for years to come. Good luck Buddy. A LOT is riding on this pick, without question

I understand Newton went 11 for 21 at the combine, against air. Not good.

Given the package as a whole, I say you're crazy if you take this guy high in the first round.

LIST OF HEISMAN WINNING QB's:

1993 Ward, Charlie

1996 Wuerffel, Danny

2000 Weinke, Chris

2001 Crouch, Eric

2002 Palmer, Carson

2003 White, Jason

2004 Leinart, Matt

2006 Smith, Troy

2007 Tebow, Tim

2008 Bradford, Sam

2010 Newton, Cam

The reason it's so important is because at #3, we have a better chance to draft a guy that will benefit our team for 10 years. It's a tough decision for sure. Do you draft a guy that is almost a sure thing to be a very good player (Dareus) or a guy that still has a ways to go, but could he a franchise QB that leads our team to the playoffs for years to come. Good luck Buddy. A LOT is riding on this pick, without question

After much thought, my opinion is, if the Bills feel Gabbert is worthy of the 3rd pick, that's who they should take. As has been much discussed, finds like Warner & Romo aside, the 1st round QBs are what you need to be successful. You can get defensive front 7 help in other rounds and via free agency. The top QBs are hard to get. At #3, I think you have to go for the potential franchise QB and I favor Gabbert over Newton.

Dareus the guy is a stud D-line man that can play in any scheme. Newton was rated as a late 1st early 2nd round pick by most pundits and draft experts now he is worthy of the 3rd overall pick? What the hell Newton is the next Vince Young a tremendously gifted QB who just doesn't have the mental tools to put it all together.

Don't buy the hype go with a proven commodity. Fitz is a real QB he might not be flashy but he can win with a better D and some help on offense.

I have to admit, I'm glad I'm not the one making this decision. It is going to change the course of Bills football for the next 10 years .

Marcell would solve a big problem on defense and fits nicely into Chan's plans for a hybrid line being able to play outside in a 3/4 or 4/3, or even

inside with his size and speed.How long have we waited for the second coming of Bruce Smith or Albert Haynsworth.

Cam Newton could be the next biggest Franchise QB to come along in years with a mix of the ability of Big Ben and Micheal Vick or maybe Ryan Leaf.

I have been thinking D,D,D like most on TSW but when you think about the future backfield we could have..... isn't it about time the first round curse ends.

Last night in a dream the Bills sacked Brady seven times in the first game, what an unstopable zone rush from Merriman and Dareus.

Winners want the Ball.

Our thinking was with the depth at the D position we felt we could fill our needs in the later rounds.

A player like Cam Newton doesn't fall in your lap very often in the draft , if ever.

My guess is the question is alot more complicated than just choosing from those two players-I would think there is at least 3 or 4 they are debating. To defer taking the pick and giving up the best chance this organization has had in a quarter century to draft a franchise changing player would be plain stupid and cowardly. The draft is all about taking chances, sure there is a chance it might not succeed, but if you don't take a chance you will NEVER succeed.

Edited by billsfreak

I love the idea that this is going to change Buffalo football...

When, it's most likely not. We have scouting issues, it's more likely our first pick will be mediocre at best, a bust at worst.

Which is really, really, really unfortunate. :(

Winners want the Ball.

It wouldn't shock me if those were the first two players selected in the draft. That being said, I'm bearish on Newton this week and bullish on Dareus. There are literally nine players we could conceivably take with the 3rd pick: Newton, Gabbert, Fairley, Dareus, Bowers, Quinn, Miller, Peterson or Green. I'm sure the Bills' brass will change their minds several times between now and April 28th or whenever the draft is.

I am surprised to see most of you have your "sarcasm blocker" turned on.

Having been a Bills fan since the Knox Farms/Roycroft Inn days what the Bills do on draft day rarely shocks me anymore.

Reaching for players, skipping over surefire probowl talent,drafting one year wonders, talking up character and drafting jerks or worse,forgeting glaring needs to draft positions already team strengths,ignoring glaring weakness year after year.....

Go Bills ,come on shock it to me!one more time.

Dareus the guy is a stud D-line man that can play in any scheme. Newton was rated as a late 1st early 2nd round pick by most pundits and draft experts now he is worthy of the 3rd overall pick? What the hell Newton is the next Vince Young a tremendously gifted QB who just doesn't have the mental tools to put it all together.

Don't buy the hype go with a proven commodity. Fitz is a real QB he might not be flashy but he can win with a better D and some help on offense.

I question 2 statements. You say newton doesn't have the mental tools to pull it off. Let me ask....how do you know? You don't.

Secondly, you say we can win with Fitz if we have a better defense. Win what? More games? Or win the SB? I wanna win the SB, not just more games.

I'd love if the team would trade the pick and pick up multiple picks later in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Obviously, the team has a lot of holes... and the one's not filled in FA would do well to be filled with the multi early round draft picks that could be garnered from a trade.

Just my .02 cents