Saints cut Jeremy Shockey

Shockey on on losing team would be like havong T.O. again. I say pass and get Miller.

Owens never opened his mouth in Buffalo. Come up with another comparison, that one doesn't work.

And, by the way, the point of this exercise is to no longer be a losing team. You do that by getting players who help you get better.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owens never opened his mouth in Buffalo. Come up with another comparison, that one doesn't work.

And, by the way, the point of this exercise is to no longer be a losing team. You do that by getting players who help you get better.

Did you forget the times he stopped running his routes or go after the ball to try and prevent interceptions?

The guy is better than all our TEs put together. He's won a Superbowl. Don't we need guys who been there and done that? So what if he's the 2nd TE on the Team. How does Buddy justify not signing him? Oh yeah, "We like our guys" :thumbdown:

Edited by mattsox

Did you forget the times he stopped running his routes or go after the ball to try and prevent interceptions?

Are you confusing him with Evans? :rolleyes:

Owens put up with a horrible QB & HC. He made no waves. If he didn't go all out all the time don't assume the same from Shockey. Shockey's main problem has been teams trying to rein him in.

Let's assume we draft Newton at number 3. Most of the rest of the draft will be defense oriented with the possibilty of a tackle. If we are wanting to get to the playoffs we need a first rate tight end for blocking and passing purposes and to insure that there is a real threat there to let Johnson and Evans work whatever magic they might have. Shockey makes a lot of sense, probably more than Sanders would as a free agent safety. Shockey has a little more tread on his tires, adn we have a pretty good safety in Whitner and just have to sign him.

If we don't take Newton at three and go heavy duty into upgrading the front seven on defense (and getting us an offensive tackle somewhere in the second through fourth round), Shockey might not be worth spending money on as the offensive won't go through a major rebuild until next year. We might take a flyer on Luke Stocker out of Tennessee, but again we would be going away from the primary decision to rebuild the defense.

Are you confusing him with Evans? :rolleyes:

Owens put up with a horrible QB & HC. He made no waves. If he didn't go all out all the time don't assume the same from Shockey. Shockey's main problem has been teams trying to rein him in.

Good one about Evans, I like that. LOL I saw Shock play for the Giants for years and he was always looking back at Eli with his arms out when he did not get seen when open or when he thought he was open. His body language towards Eli was such that after they got rid of him Eli then became confident and took them to the Superbowl and became a leader. Brees is in a class by himself and he did look better during games with NO, but Fitz is not exactly Brees so that is what I would be concerned about. Talent wise he would be a huge upgrade though he always seems to get hurt.

Who cares about his mouth, whether he is old, or any other peripheral nonsense.

The only question that matters is: is putting Shockey on the team part of getting us the best TEs possible, and a significant improvement in an area we have been weak in for so long?

If the answer is yes, nothing else matters.

If the answer is no, nothing else matters.

The Bills would be better to sign him than let NE get their paws on him.

New England doesn't need a tight end.

Still interested to see if the Bills will bring anyone else in for a talk (Atogwe, Shockey) although I'm not that excited by any of the free agents out there at the moment, including Sanders.

Of the three I guess I'd prefer Shockey but I still hope they make a play for Zach Miller or Kevin Boss. Owen Daniels is more of a pass-catching tight end and it's looking more and more certain that Marcedes Lewis is gonna be tagged.

BB.com reports that Bob Sanders was here all yesterday afternoon and into the evening. He apparently had dinner with DC George Edwards. But the reports are that Sanders wants to re-sign with Indy and that Atogwe wants to re-sign with the Rams. These visits are partly about establishing market value.

I think Boss, or Zach Miller (obviously) better fit the Bills' needs due to their blocking abilities, but Shockey would be easily a 300% improvement over TEs currently on the roster.

Shockey seems cocky enough to grossly overvalue his skills, and if he's gonna take pedestrian money, it'll be for a contender, not a rebuilding team.

The whole low risk high reward statement makes the assumption that he's not looking for a big contract. That's an assumption that I wouldn't make, especially for him to come to Buffalo.

i would guess 2-3 million a year? possibly 10 over 3 years? just a guess. his first comment was about going to be a great value for some other team. value could mean something else to him. whitner thinks hes a value at top 5 money after all, but i think that shockey is looking for the aging vet type of contract, not that of a guy in his prime.

id compare him more to strouds situation then to merrimans.

aging, replacement on the roster, and a decent chunk of money due -- especially at their positions (34 DE, or TE) would normally see. i expect both to find a team, take a modest deal, and produce for 2-3 more years. where as merriman is a guy that should be in his prime and is a huge boom or bust situation.

Edited by NoSaint

You knew this thread was coming. He's worth a look. This team sorely lacks at the position and while Shockey is an ass, his veteran presence could help. We have young, unproductive tight ends in Buffalo. I don't see him wanting to come here though.

he really hasnt even been an ass since coming to new orleans -- hes well liked on the team, and in the community. like i said, he lives on the same block as me, 2 buildings down the street. hes out in the bars and restaurants in the area consistently and hasnt been causing trouble. a couple times i saw him out later then youd like close to game day, but otherwise, hes been low key and a great teammate, does a ton in the community. i see him every few days and the guy is a beast. i think the giants incident, and coming to new orleans helped him grow up a bit.

When he is healthy, he usually has a couple big games a season.. And the Bills haven't had any big games out of that position in a long time.. If the price is right why not?

Ultimately that is the question. What is the number?

I love Miller and Boss but the franchise number for a tight end is near $8 million for one year. Maybe either of those two could be signed to a multi-year contract with an average of $6-7 million…but what if you could get Shockey for $3 million per?

I've always liked the shocker, as a player, and as a person in general. I've had him in fantasy football for three years in a row.

I had no idea he is an Okie! No wonder he's a bad mofo B-) I would be very happy if he became a Buffalo Bill!!!

I does come down to money and other FA options, if we really have any.

He would be an asset with his exp, as many Fa s would. Thats ok by me. I am even glad Stroud was here to help out.

I would think that even if Mr. Shockey is not what he was in day, opponents defense will take him very seriously when he lines up. That means a lot in the passing game. 2-3 mil and no one better available. Go for it! We Have to put a real tight end on the field this year. I am not going to knock our current TE but...how many more days can we go for a FA before its locked up?

By the way No Saint, Now i get it. And it is pretty cool to get first hand info from you, that makes it much easier to decide about Jeremy. Have you scouted any more saints for us yet? : )