EA Sports has exclusive rights to NFL now

Fezmid

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read a facinating article on how EA just abuses the crap out of their employees. It was in the latest issue of Artvoice, the Buffalo weekly paper. You can try to read it if you have a .pdf reader like Adobe Acrobat. Here's the link:

http://www.artvoice.com/archive/v3n50/v3n50.pdf

PTR

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

This is horrible news... anyone who doesn't see the overwhelming negative in this story is truly blind and stupid. Now we will be paying $60-65 for Madden 2007 on Playstation 3... just watch.

This exclusive contract deal by satellite companies and now EA REALLY plsses me off to the extreme. What is UP with this country becoming merger-happy????

I echo the same sentiments on ESPN NHL Hockey. If EA screws me out of that distinct pleasure, I'll sell all of my EA games, and go without em, and I won't but another one again. This is tantamount to robbery!

That doesn't make sense. It's the capitalistic way, but democracy has nothing to do with it.

Did you drop out after fourth grade?

159367[/snapback]

What's the capitalistic way? Establishing a monopoly? Doesn't Microsoft get sued every other time you turn around for that? Or is refusing to pay hourly employees overtime the capitalistic way? Maybe pulling a backdoor deal to eliminate your closest competitor is the capitalistic way?

The NFL can sign an exclusive licensing deal with Pepsi or FedEx, but consumers still have a choice. We can buy Coke. We can ship via UPS. THAT'S capitalism - you know, that whole free-market thingy? :devil:

This deal shuts down one of the most innovative game development teams in the business - and that's a travesty, but more importantly, it reduces choices for football fans. Either buy Madden, or don't buy an NFL football video game. The latter is exactly what I'll be doing. And I'll watch EA interject more cross-promotion and advertising into their games (EA Game Trax is the lamest and cheesiest thing to come around in a long time), I'll watch prices rise, and true innovation drop.

In the spirit of capitalism, I will not buy any EA games over the next 5 years, or longer if the NFL allows EA's monopoly to continue by renewing the deal. The NFL and EA have screwed us over.

Now hold on just a second. You're right that competition fosters creativity and innovation (in addition to price declines), however, don't be so sure that EA won't continue to push the envelope and improve its games. See, they'll also want to make money. They're not going to be content with the assumption that there is a definite, ever-constant set of consumers out there who will simply buy whatever football game exists, indifferent to its features. They will still be afraid that such consumers might decide to forgo a football videogame altogether and buy Halo 2 instead. No CEO worth his salt would make such an assumption. They will not leave money on the table. Also, I'm guessing the exclusive rights deal cost them a pretty penny, which they have already projected to recoup via increased sales. How do you increase sales? You put out a better product, for one. Remember, most people who bought ESPN NFL2K ALSO bought Madden. So, they're not looking at too many more sales without improving their game, hopefully. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but let's not be too pessimistic.

...don't be so sure that EA won't continue to push the envelope and improve its games. 

159468[/snapback]

Continue? :devil:

EA hasn't done anything to "push the envelope" with their Madden series since it was the first game to release featuring 11-on-11. 989 was the first to use 3D polygonal characters, EA was still married to 2D sprites. Visual Concepts introduced online play in 1999 and online leagues in 2004. All Madden's done is follow suit and live off the brand.

Madden's graphics have been virtually the same (big heads with zombie faces) for 4 years. If they're not innovative with competition, how can one reasonably conclude they'll be innovative without competition?

Continue?  :devil:

EA hasn't done anything to "push the envelope" with their Madden series since it was the first game to release featuring 11-on-11.  989 was the first to use 3D polygonal characters, EA was still married to 2D sprites.  Visual Concepts introduced online play in 1999 and online leagues in 2004.  All Madden's done is follow suit and live off the brand.

Madden's graphics have been virtually the same (big heads with zombie faces) for 4 years.  If they're not innovative with competition, how can one reasonably conclude they'll be innovative without competition?

159472[/snapback]

You can't say that the defensive controls didn't vastly improve last year. Yes that was long overdue, but it was a serious improvement.

What's the capitalistic way?  Establishing a monopoly?  Doesn't Microsoft get sued every other time you turn around for that?  Or is refusing to pay hourly employees overtime the capitalistic way?  Maybe pulling a backdoor deal to eliminate your closest competitor is the capitalistic way?

Technically, having a monopoly isn't illegal. However, there are things that you aren't allowed to do with a monopoly, and that's where MS gets into trouble (for example, when they used their monopoly to force companies like Gateway and Compaq to pay $x/machine for Windows licenses, even if they never put Windows on the computer).

I was reading somewhere yesterday where there's speculation that EA can re-sell the NFL license to other developers. Not sure if that's true or not, but even if it's true it's still pretty slimy.

CW

You can't say that the defensive controls didn't vastly improve last year.  Yes that was long overdue, but it was a serious improvement.

159476[/snapback]

An improvement, sure. But given that they essentially "borrowed" the right analog stick control from other sports games, it hardly qualifies as "innovative" IMHO.

As I posted earlier, I don't care what they do with the series. Waiting 5 years won't kill me.

thats BS. i should be able to choose the game i like best.

yeah madden has been a great game for decades, but i think 2k5 showed that they could make a game to really challange madden. the low price tag was to get people to buy BOTH 2k5 and madden and see for them selves. madden saw the writing on the wall and had to do something about it.

i like 2k5 better (my prefrence). i buy a football game every year. i used to get madden till 2k4, i found madden slow and more "stiff", with no chance to juke or break tackles..... but thats just my opinion.

so now i guess there wont ba a 2k6.

this just isnt right.

since i love football and video games, this really bothers me.

i might write a letter.... wait, im a guy... so ill just call someone and curse and threaten to break there legs. :devil::lol:

Guest BetaTesta

Count me in as one who would happily pay $65 or more for Madden!

Are you kidding me -- the hundreds of hours of entertainment I get throughout the year from playing the damn game -- I'd *still* feel like I am the one stealing!!!

:lol: I guess it's good for the soul to blow off some steam every now and then.

I hope NFL2K5 releases roster updates for the next 5 years so I won't even be tempted to give EA any of my money.  EA single-handedly killed the DreamCast by prominsing Sega they'd make 3rd party software only to give them the bird a few months before the console launched.  They treat their employees like stevestojan and are defendants in more than a couple unfair labor practices suits.  And because a relative upstart kicks the crap out of them, they shut them down, not by releasing a superior product - 9 out of 10 games they release are pure crap - but by throwing around money and suckering the NFL into an exclusive. 

I will NEVER buy another EA game.  Screw EA.

159270[/snapback]

Though I do like the ESPN game better than Madden, I can't just boycott EA Sports. ESPN and Madden are okay, but my favorite game is the NCAA football game!! Too bad Sega/ESPN won't make a college football game. I'm sure it would be a good one.

Though I do like the ESPN game better than Madden, I can't just boycott EA Sports.  ESPN and Madden are okay, but my favorite game is the NCAA football game!!  Too bad Sega/ESPN won't make a college football game.  I'm sure it would be a good one.

159654[/snapback]

Nothing in my mind can touch NCAA Football 2005.. Great game!!!!!

Nothing in my mind can touch NCAA Football 2005.. Great game!!!!!

159656[/snapback]

I absolutely love it! The 2004 version is pretty good though too. The big difference in the 2005 version is how they made it tougher to pass the ball and to make razor sharp cuts with the RB. That makes the game much more realistic.

The worst thing about this is gone is any chance that we'll see a reapeat of a brand new $20 NFL game like we got with ESPN 2k5.  Anyone that is actually happy about this, that doesn't own a bunch of EA stock or work for them, really doesn't understand the negative impact that this will have on the quality and price of NFL games.  Without anyone to push them Madden will continue to be a $50 roster update.  The silver lining in this is if some of the other companies that are going to be locked out of the NFL take up the gauntlet and develop football games that are kick ass, but not NFL we could possibly benefit in the long run.  I was a little sick of NFL games anyway.  Hopefully they can show a little imagination and creativity and deliver and at least give us an alternative to the monopoly Madden has now become.

159251[/snapback]

Well to put this in context, it is not ALL bad for football gamers.

Over here in Europe, one of the hottest games for a long time has been the Pro Evolution Soccer series - currently on iteration 4. Since it's launch of iteration 2, it has been lauded as the best Soccer game available, despite playing second fiddle to the easily playable and FIFA backed EA offering.

Gameplay and AI is so hevily invested in the un-sanctioned game that it is much, much better that the tripe that EA rolls out - despite EA boasting several of the worlds top leagues and players. PES is so incredible that even I like it - and I am no great fan of soccer games.

So if Sega will invest in game development now rather than tying up $$$ in NFL rights it could be a good thing. People will not stop producing football sims just because they can't get NFL rights. We'll just have to be the Niagra Rapids vs Ft Lauderdale Cruisers- that sort of thing.

This deal shuts down one of the most innovative game development teams in the business - and that's a travesty, but more importantly, it reduces choices for football fans. 

159459[/snapback]

Don't overreact. They can still continue to produce the game sans the NFL rights per my previous post. Football fans will still buy the game.

Continue?  :lol:

EA hasn't done anything to "push the envelope" with their Madden series since it was the first game to release featuring 11-on-11.  989 was the first to use 3D polygonal characters, EA was still married to 2D sprites.  Visual Concepts introduced online play in 1999 and online leagues in 2004.  All Madden's done is follow suit and live off the brand.

Madden's graphics have been virtually the same (big heads with zombie faces) for 4 years.  If they're not innovative with competition, how can one reasonably conclude they'll be innovative without competition?

159472[/snapback]

They haven't changed the Create-A-Team feature in four years either. When I got Madden 2002 I thought it was pretty lame - 4 jersey choices, none of which looked like an NFL uniform. Madden 2004 was exactly the same. I went with ESPN NFL 2K5 this year but I hear Madden didn't bother improving many things yet again.

Create-A-Team is not a huge feature. It's just something fun to play with. BUT it would be so easy to beef it up to the point where it'd be awesome to make your own team and insert it into the NFL. They could hire an intern to do it.