EA Sports has exclusive rights to NFL now

Fezmid

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the capitalistic way?  Establishing a monopoly?

159459[/snapback]

You would've saved yourself a lot of time if you had read for context. If you'd done that, you'd know that I was simply correcting the poster above me in the post that you quoted.

He sarcastically said that EA doing this is "the democratic way", which makes no sense since democracy has little to do with the economy. I corrected him by saying it would be the capitalistic way, not the democratic way - again, all sarcastically, since the concept of capitalism is being perverted here. Understanding the word "irony" would help.

OBVIOUSLY, I'm not happy with this news. Again, it's basic economics - less competiton means inferior product. I'm not sure how you thought that's what I was saying, but I wasn't.

Fez,

To say that EA is going to stop making a good quality game is a weak assumption. They now have EXCLUSIVE rights to the hottest sport in the country. The NFL has the right to pull this association at any point if EA is not meeting the quality that the NFL expects. And personally, I don't think there is a better NFL game than Madden. I tried 2K and didn't enjoy it. But, to each his own.

I can understand you being upset considering your league is played on the 2K platform, though.

Fez,

To say that EA is going to stop making a good quality game is a weak assumption. They now have EXCLUSIVE rights to the hottest sport in the country. The NFL has the right to pull this association at any point if EA is not meeting the quality that the NFL expects. And personally, I don't think there is a better NFL game than Madden. I tried 2K and didn't enjoy it. But, to each his own.

I can understand you being upset considering your league is played on the 2K platform, though.

161537[/snapback]

As you've read in this thread, multiple people have complained that Madden is almost exactly the same today as it was 4 years ago. That's what I mean about not making a good quality game. Yeah, the base gameplay may be fine, but without competition, there's no innovation (as I said before, online play, online leagues, voice chat, etc, etc, etc). Madden hasn't innovated in the past 4 years, why would they start when they have exclusive rights?

CW

Good question.

I didn't buy any of the Sega games until this year. I like ESPN 2k5 better than Madden '05 for many of the reasons Fezmid stated: it's the same old game with nothing new added to it. I went back and bought all the old Sega football games (for Xbox) and out of them, I really like the 2k3 w/Urlacher on the cover. I'm not really fond of the 2k2 (Moss). I haven't tried 2k4 (Warren Sapp) yet. Out of all the Madden games I have for Xbox, my favorite is still the first one: Madden '02. I don't really like the '03 version at all and '04 is okay, but nothing special.

I went back and bought all the old Sega football games (for Xbox) and out of them, I really like the 2k3 w/Urlacher on the cover.  I'm not really fond of the 2k2 (Moss).  I haven't tried 2k4 (Warren Sapp) yet.

2k2 was terrible, which was a disappointment because 2k1 (for Dreamcast) was *amazing.* The gameplay was fine, but the AI was really bad.

CW

I caught a really nice deal at a game store while we were in Pittsburgh. I can't remember if it was EB Games or Game Stop, but I ended up getting 8 games for around $35, I think. That's how I was able to get the NFL 2k games from 02-04 as well as EA's NBA Live for 03, NBA Inside Drive for 03, and a couple college games. Speaking of which, why doesn't ESPN/Sega make a college football game anymore? I have the one w/ the Nebraska guy on the cover but I don't know which year it was for. They should make those again, because I love college football videogames! The EA Sports NCAA football games are incredible, even better then either ESPN's NFL or Madden.

Madden hasn't innovated in the past 4 years, why would they start when they have exclusive rights?

-----------------------------

I really don't know how much more they can improve the game. If you put the AI all the way up it's a challenge against almost any team. And we are talking about two base platforms( Xbox and PS2) that are pushing four years old.

Also, don't forget that EA makes NFL Street which has a very big following for arcade style fun football.