EA Sports has exclusive rights to NFL now

Fezmid

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/13/technology....reut/index.htm

While EA's "Madden NFL" used to outsell Sega's NFL football game as much as 10-to-1 on a units basis, this year the ratio has been closer to 1.5-to-1.  The Sega/Take-Two game uses NFL player names and likenesses, as well as team names and colors, which will not be allowed under the new arrangement.

So people started to realize that NFL 2k5 was just as good (or better) than EA's Madden, so decided to buy the rights to all NFL video games. Now that Madden will be the only game in town, you can bet that they won't pour as many development dollars into it; what would be the point, there's no competition?

Today is a sad day for the consumers.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: EA, :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=12723

CW

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL - Madden is on a whole nother level than ESPn 2k5 ... I bought 2k5 originally and was so disgusted I brought it back.

MADDEN ALL THE WAY!

159098[/snapback]

Regardless of whether you like Madden or ESPN better, the fact of the matter is that this will hurt ALL gamers; EA will have NO incentive to improve their product. Why spend millions improving the game when they spent millions to lock up the rights instead and people will buy the game anyway (since it'll be the only game in town!). EVERYONE loses, not just people who liked NFL2k5.

Here's a petition; doubt it'll be of any use, but hey:

http://www.petitiononline.com/nfleacon/petition.html

CW

I've always been about Madden until I bought NFL 2k5...gameplay and graphics were much better than Madden...however no one played it, so I went back to Madden...when going straight from EA NFL2k5 to Madden, Madden looks and feels like crap

haven't touched EA NFL2k5 since the summer and have since forgotten about it though...

Regardless of whether you like Madden or ESPN better, the fact of the matter is that this will hurt ALL gamers; EA will have NO incentive to improve their product.  Why spend millions improving the game when they spent millions to lock up the rights instead and people will buy the game anyway (since it'll be the only game in town!).  EVERYONE loses, not just people who liked NFL2k5.

Here's a petition; doubt it'll be of any use, but hey:

http://www.petitiononline.com/nfleacon/petition.html

CW

159108[/snapback]

You'll have to excuse him. Simple concepts are difficult. We're still trying to get him to eat with a fork.

The plastic surgeon is happy, though. He's made a fortune fixing the pock marks.

here is a question. Has a petition ever successfully changed the outcome of anything meaningful?

159114[/snapback]

Yes; back in '94-'95 (or thereabouts), fans of the band, "Dream Theater" wanted a song that the band played live, "A CHange of Seasons," to be recorded but the record label didn't want to release it. The fans (on the mailing list Ytsejam) signed a petition and one of the members took the petition to the record label and hand delivered it. A few months later, the album was released in stores for a cheap price as a "tribute to the fans." We even got credit in the liner notes. :devil:

That said, I doubt this one will have any effect. Still a very sad day.

Collegeguy - you should've joined a league (such as http://www.thevfl.com).

CW

Yes; back in '94-'95 (or thereabouts), fans of the band, "Dream Theater" wanted a song that the band played live, "A CHange of Seasons," to be recorded but the record label didn't want to release it.  The fans (on the mailing list Ytsejam) signed a petition and one of the members took the petition to the record label and hand delivered it.  A few months later, the album was released in stores for a cheap price as a "tribute to the fans."  We even got credit in the liner notes. :devil:

That said, I doubt this one will have any effect.  Still a very sad day.

Collegeguy - you should've joined a league (such as http://www.thevfl.com).

CW

159121[/snapback]

Dream Theater? Is that the band created by Miami Dolphins fans who flunked out of Tops training school?

Dude, he said MEANINGFUL petitions!!!!!!!

Dream Theater? Is that the band created by Miami Dolphins fans who flunked out of Tops training school?

Dude, he said MEANINGFUL petitions!!!!!!!

159201[/snapback]

Nice to see that guests are posting MEANINGFUL posts :devil: Go back to listening to your top-40 crap, err, music.

CW

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/13/technology....reut/index.htm

So people started to realize that NFL 2k5 was just as good (or better) than EA's Madden, so decided to buy the rights to all NFL video games.  Now that Madden will be the only game in town, you can bet that they won't pour as many development dollars into it; what would be the point, there's no competition?

Today is a sad day for the consumers.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  EA,  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=12723

CW

159091[/snapback]

Thats just super. Now we'll be treated to crappy buggy online play without an alternative. I can't wait. [/sarcasm]

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: EA and that fat fugg poster boy of yours. :devil:

The worst thing about this is gone is any chance that we'll see a reapeat of a brand new $20 NFL game like we got with ESPN 2k5. Anyone that is actually happy about this, that doesn't own a bunch of EA stock or work for them, really doesn't understand the negative impact that this will have on the quality and price of NFL games. Without anyone to push them Madden will continue to be a $50 roster update. The silver lining in this is if some of the other companies that are going to be locked out of the NFL take up the gauntlet and develop football games that are kick ass, but not NFL we could possibly benefit in the long run. I was a little sick of NFL games anyway. Hopefully they can show a little imagination and creativity and deliver and at least give us an alternative to the monopoly Madden has now become.

Dude, loving the hostility. Good on ya!

159243[/snapback]

:devil: I guess it's good for the soul to blow off some steam every now and then.

I hope NFL2K5 releases roster updates for the next 5 years so I won't even be tempted to give EA any of my money. EA single-handedly killed the DreamCast by prominsing Sega they'd make 3rd party software only to give them the bird a few months before the console launched. They treat their employees like stevestojan and are defendants in more than a couple unfair labor practices suits. And because a relative upstart kicks the crap out of them, they shut them down, not by releasing a superior product - 9 out of 10 games they release are pure crap - but by throwing around money and suckering the NFL into an exclusive.

I will NEVER buy another EA game. Screw EA.

Whether or not ESPN, 989, and Microsoft follow Midway's lead and develop football games without the (NFL/NFLPA) license remains to be seen.

On a scarier note for these same publishers, rumors are already circulating that EA is attempting to negotiate similar deals with the NBA and Major League Baseball. When IGN contacted Trudy Muller, spokesperson for Electronic Arts about these rumors, she told us: "We cannot speculate at this time about any further plans these other leagues may have."

An ominous sign for sports game publishers everywhere to say the least.

Just keep your grubby EA hands off my NHL2K! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

ign.com

Count me in among those who think this really sucks. EA was already lazy enough as it is by pumping out the same game engine how many years in a row? It's only going to get worse now. None of the flaws in this year's game will be fixed next year. There will still be "Mario running" and there will still be superhuman LB's jumping 400 feet in the air making one handed snags on a ball that was intended for a WR 12 yards behind him.

Hopefully somebody other than EA will release a college game next year to satisfy my football fix.