Ralph's got QB issues

If Fitzpatrick had played a hypothetical additional three games (making it a full 16 game season) and averaged his TDs per game (approx. 1.7) he would have reached 28 TDs. That would've put him right with Aaron Rogers and Matt Ryan. Right below Rivers and Brees.

So how is it so far fetched that he's a player that has turned the preverbal corner? Is he going to all of a sudden regress? After a full training camp as the #1 guy? Sorry, but I give him a pretty good shot of proving all the doubters wrong. As of right now, I actually like him better than Eli Manning.

Yea and a good number of his TDs were in mop up time when the other team was playing prevent. Thats why he isnt being talked about as an up and coming QB. His numbers are inflated a little because how poorly this team was, and how much of his statistical gain was accomplished when the other team wasn't trying.

Anyone who thinks that Fitz is the answer is delusional.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea and a good number of his TDs were in mop up time when the other team was playing prevent. Thats why he isnt being talked about as an up and coming QB. His numbers are inflated a little because how poorly this team was, and how much of his statistical gain was accomplished when the other team wasn't trying.

BY QUARTER	 CMP	ATT	YDS	CMP%	YPA	LNG	TD	INT	SACK	RAT	ATT	YDS	AVG	LNG	TD
1st Qtr		39	78	460	50.0	5.90	45	2	0	8.0	76.9	6	35	5.8	13	0
2nd Qtr		70	116	844	60.3	7.28	54	8	5	5.0	87.7	10	76	7.6	18	0
3rd Qtr		60	97	719	61.9	7.41	65	5	3	6.0	88.8	10	74	7.4	14	0
4th Qtr		78	129	881	60.5	6.83	37	8	7	4.0	79.0	11	63	5.7	22	0
Overtime	8	21	96	38.1	4.57	21	0	0	1.0	52.9	3	21	7.0	14	0

Fitzpatrick had 2 TDs that would be considered "garbage time" one against the Jets and one against the Vikings. The other game that you're referring to is the Bengals game where Fitzpatrick threw for 4 TDs. But somehow to you, this should demonstrate to Bills fans that Fitzpatrick really sucks? That's a stupid argument. Could you at least bring something real to support your argument?

There is where you're not seeing our point. That statement implies that the ONLY difference between Fitz and Brees are their surrounding casts. You imply that if by some miracle of science we were able to go back in time and switch Fitz's career w Brees' and suddenly Fitz is on the Chargers and then the Saints that he'd be just as good as Brees.

I think you're wrong. It's not just the supporting cast. It's the talent level that is innate. It can't be taught or learned. Its just there in Brees and not in Fitz.

Look at it another way. If that switch was made and Fitz was on the Chargers then the Saints w all the same supporting cast members ... new Orleans, in my opinion, doesn't win the Super Bowl. They might not even make the playoffs ... THAT'S what you're missing or disagreeing with.

I see the point you are trying to make and your stating that Drew Brees could have developed into an elite SB winning QB no matter what team he played for.... I say Horse hockey! If he had been drafted by the Detroit Lions instead of the Chargers he would have gotten beaten down, and more then likely would now be a back up QB or out of the NFL by now.

If Sean Payton had picked up Fitz as a free agent and Drew Brees was injured during that SB run,htf do you KNOW how well he would have played? Look back to the Steelers-Chiefs-Ravens games the Bills played this year, all 3 are playoff teams and Baltimore and Pittsburgh battled in the AFC Championship game to go to the SB, last time I looked Fitz didn't drop the TD pass to beat the Steelers. Fitz played well enough to win more then 4 games this year, it was the rest of the team that sucked so bad.

Look at Drew Brees height, the guy is a smuff by todays NFL QB standards, and he would have a difficult time even getting drafted now, teams are complaining Jake Locker is only 6'3'' . Coming out of Perdue Drew Brees was graded much higher then Fitz, as he was a 2nd round pick, and had better skills entering the NFL then Fitz who was a 7th round pick to the St Louis Rams, as an after thought. Drew Brees had better skills then, and has better skills now. But like I stated eariler he has a totally different styple of play then Fitz, with Fitz being more of a gunslinger type.

Mike Riley was the HC of the Chargers when they drafted Brees, that team went 5-11 in 2001, and Doug Flutie was the starting QB for that SD team. Riley was fired after that season and Marty Schottheimer was hired to replace him, do you recall Martys nickname? He is nicknamed Marty ball because his teams run the ball more then they throw it, he demands the QB manage the game, and not make mistakes, mostly had the ball off to the RB.

Do you know that Marty benched Brees in his second season, later Brees would state that the benching was the best thing that happened to him as it made him much more discliplined in his throws, he was far more carefull after that. Did you also know that one of the first coaches hired by Marty was Cam Cameron, the current OC of the Baltimore Ravens who is now tutoring Joe Flacco. Brees has had basically only 2 HC's and 2 OC's to learn from in his 10 year career, 2 of the best NFL offensive minds in Cameron and Payton.

Pretty darn good resume that Brees has, now look at Fitz. The guy went to Harvard, how many NFL QB's has that school produced? Nevertheless, in his first game he came in at half time for the Rams, they were down 24-3 against Houston, Fitz threw for 310 YDS and 3 TDs to lead the Rams to a 33-27 comeback win. That Ram team went 6-10 that year. 2 years with the Rams 05 -(6-10) 06 (8-8) Bengals 07 (7-9) 08 (4-11) Bills 09 (6-10) 10 (4-12) the guy has been on some pretty bad teams with 5 different head coaches, different OC's, players, schemes. Not a real good recipe for success for any QB, even one drafted in the first round, much less a 7th rounder.

I have never debated that Drew Brees doesn't have better pro QB skills then Fitz, he does, and always will have. I highly doubt Fitz will ever be as accurate as Brees, but then not many QB's are.... However, comparing Drew Brees and his SB winning team to the Buffalo Bills and Fitz is moronic. Like I stated earlier its like comparing apples to poop, it just doesn't work.

You stating that Fitz will never be an elite QB and lead a team to the SB.... wtf are you to declare that as fact? Look at Rich Gannon a journey man QB who got the Raiders to the SB but lost, -Mark Rypian, 6th round pick-Jeff Hostetler, scrub career back up that beat the 1990 high powered Buffalo Bills, -Joe Theisman, 4th rd scrub that needed to go to Canada to play-Kurt Warner was a walk on who was working in a supermarket. Brad Johnson was a 9th round draft scrub and won a SB. Lets not forget that guys like Tom Brady weren't franchise QB's before they won the SB, they were declared "franchise" QB's only after.

I"m not saying Fitz is the absolute answer at QB, all I'm saying is give the guy a year to show if he can be the answer. Let him have this off season-pre season for Gailey to further develop him and see if the guy can be a winner, just get him better support... a decent running game would be a start. Besides, there is no top QB in this years draft, they all need developmental work.

Edited by Harvey lives

You cannot be an elite QB in this league with a sub 60% completion rate ....on a team with as many holes as the Bills. You can do this with a team around you like those "elite" guys have. I'm a Manning fan but with Wayne, Harrison, Clark etc. etc. etc. around him what would his numbers be? Same with Brady who has a minimum (I've watched and timed and averaged it so many times) of 4-5 seconds per throw to find his tight ends and receivers who are excellent route runners with excellent hands, not to mention that front line.

The mistake the Bills have been making for ten plus years is failing to shore up their lines and put support players and staff in place to bring a winning team to Buffalo. Lets hope that Channix can change this. Give Fitzy two more years and better players around him and we'll see if your correct, and yes, draft a young guy now for the somewhat near future if you must, just don't reach unless everything you know tells you it will pay off. I'd start with D-line or if you go for a "luxury" pick go with A.J. Greene as another sure guy to throw to.

Apparently you missed most of this season.

I see the point you are trying to make and your stating that Drew Brees could have developed into an elite SB winning QB no matter what team he played for.... I say Horse hockey! If he had been drafted by the Detroit Lions instead of the Chargers he would have gotten beaten down, and more then likely would now be a back up QB or out of the NFL by now.

If Sean Payton had picked up Fitz as a free agent and Drew Brees was injured during that SB run,htf do you KNOW how well he would have played? Look back to the Steelers-Chiefs-Ravens games the Bills played this year, all 3 are playoff teams and Baltimore and Pittsburgh battled in the AFC Championship game to go to the SB, last time I looked Fitz didn't drop the TD pass to beat the Steelers. Fitz played well enough to win more then 4 games this year, it was the rest of the team that sucked so bad.

Look at Drew Brees height, the guy is a smuff by todays NFL QB standards, and he would have a difficult time even getting drafted now, teams are complaining Jake Locker is only 6'3'' . Coming out of Perdue Drew Brees was graded much higher then Fitz, as he was a 2nd round pick, and had better skills entering the NFL then Fitz who was a 7th round pick to the St Louis Rams, as an after thought. Drew Brees had better skills then, and has better skills now. But like I stated eariler he has a totally different styple of play then Fitz, with Fitz being more of a gunslinger type.

Mike Riley was the HC of the Chargers when they drafted Brees, that team went 5-11 in 2001, and Doug Flutie was the starting QB for that SD team. Riley was fired after that season and Marty Schottheimer was hired to replace him, do you recall Martys nickname? He is nicknamed Marty ball because his teams run the ball more then they throw it, he demands the QB manage the game, and not make mistakes, mostly had the ball off to the RB.

Do you know that Marty benched Brees in his second season, later Brees would state that the benching was the best thing that happened to him as it made him much more discliplined in his throws, he was far more carefull after that. Did you also know that one of the first coaches hired by Marty was Cam Cameron, the current OC of the Baltimore Ravens who is now tutoring Joe Flacco. Brees has had basically only 2 HC's and 2 OC's to learn from in his 10 year career, 2 of the best NFL offensive minds in Cameron and Payton.

Pretty darn good resume that Brees has, now look at Fitz. The guy went to Harvard, how many NFL QB's has that school produced? Nevertheless, in his first game he came in at half time for the Rams, they were down 24-3 against Houston, Fitz threw for 310 YDS and 3 TDs to lead the Rams to a 33-27 comeback win. That Ram team went 6-10 that year. 2 years with the Rams 05 -(6-10) 06 (8-8) Bengals 07 (7-9) 08 (4-11) Bills 09 (6-10) 10 (4-12) the guy has been on some pretty bad teams with 5 different head coaches, different OC's, players, schemes. Not a real good recipe for success for any QB, even one drafted in the first round, much less a 7th rounder.

I have never debated that Drew Brees doesn't have better pro QB skills then Fitz, he does, and always will have. I highly doubt Fitz will ever be as accurate as Brees, but then not many QB's are.... However, comparing Drew Brees and his SB winning team to the Buffalo Bills and Fitz is moronic. Like I stated earlier its like comparing apples to poop, it just doesn't work.

You stating that Fitz will never be an elite QB and lead a team to the SB.... wtf are you to declare that as fact? Look at Rich Gannon a journey man QB who got the Raiders to the SB but lost, -Mark Rypian, 6th round pick-Jeff Hostetler, scrub career back up that beat the 1990 high powered Buffalo Bills, -Joe Theisman, 4th rd scrub that needed to go to Canada to play-Kurt Warner was a walk on who was working in a supermarket. Brad Johnson was a 9th round draft scrub and won a SB. Lets not forget that guys like Tom Brady weren't franchise QB's before they won the SB, they were declared "franchise" QB's only after.

I"m not saying Fitz is the absolute answer at QB, all I'm saying is give the guy a year to show if he can be the answer. Let him have this off season-pre season for Gailey to further develop him and see if the guy can be a winner, just get him better support... a decent running game would be a start. Besides, there is no top QB in this years draft, they all need developmental work.

i guess to some degree you guys confuse me. earlier one of you argued football is football 1960 or today, but a second round pick in 2000 wouldnt be drafted today because of how the games changed. now you say drew brees has better nfl skills but when comparing them, think fitz would have done just as well with the same situations, and no one else in the league besides POSSIBLY aaron rodgers or big ben could have matched fitz had they played in buffalo? it just doesnt make sense.

i get the idea that joe montana isnt joe montana if he goes to detroit -- i also get that you look at teams like the saints, and patriots, colts, etc.... and who were they without that quarterback? by bringing in peyton and drew the saints went from cellar dwellar, to the best team in the NFC over the last 4-5 years. i want to see what gailey can do with his guy too.

I am not arguing draft him at all costs at number 3 no matter what la la la fingers in my ears and i cant hear you. I am saying if you see that guy, go get him - could be round 1, round 3, or a trade maybe. if we get stuck with 2 really good qbs, so be it. i wont lose sleep over that problem.

Edited by NoSaint

Never thought Ralph/Buddy had it in 'em - this has gotta be the biggest smokescreen I ever saw from the Bills' front office! :thumbsup:

There's NO WAY Buffalo takes a QB on day one - maybe on day 2, in round 3, if at all (probably Christian Ponder). JMO.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Fear the 'stache!!!!! B-)

Um. He did say with BETTER stats. I'm not sure about anything other than TDs and INTs really, but I'm pretty sure he had more TDs, and close to the same yardage. With 3 less gales played to boot.

Just saying

same number of games -- orton got pulled for tebow.

700 more yards, 3 less tds, and 6 less ints, 4 less fumbles....

i wouldnt say that orton had a great situation. head coach drama? 32nd ranked defense? RB injuries. jabar gaffney starting 11 games at WR for him?

I guess im just not sure what someone would have to do to to qualify as putting up better stats over 13 games. an extra 700 yards and several fewer turnovers seems to atleast put into perspective that fitz played well, but this is kyle orton and i dont think any of us would think kyle orton is about to turn a corner.

Again, Rypian, Gannon, Hostetler and Theisman all played in a very different NFL where defenses and running backs ruled while passing games were not nearly as prolific due to the rules of the game. Using those guys as examples is silly. The game has changed -- the league wanted to up scoring and passing numbers. They did that by altering the rules that hindered defenses (especially DBs) while tipping the scales in favor of the passing game.

Warner is a HOF QB and certainly elite. Ditto with Brady who may be the best QB ever to play the game. It doesn't matter where you find them -- they're elite. If Fitz were elite, no one would care he was a 7th rounder from Harvard. This isn't about drafting a first round QB. It's about the need for a franchise type QB to be added to this roster before they can ever be considered Super Bowl contenders. It's the single most important piece -- more important than any other position on either side of the ball. Right now, that player is not on the roster. That doesn't mean Fitz is bad. Neither No Saint nor myself have once said that Fitz shouldn't be the starter in '11. In fact, quite the opposite. But that doesn't mean he's the answer. He is plagued by his in ability to be consistent with his accuracy. That's a problem. And one that I personally believe cannot be taught. You either have it or you don't. And Fitz doesn't. THAT'S why he'll always be a good QB but not an elite one. And you need an elite QB to have a realistic shot at a Lombardi trophey.

Brad Johnson is not a HOF QB but was a pro bowler who happened to play at a very high level through most of his career. Still, for the sake of argument I'll give you him. That still means only one team in ten has a chance to win a Super Bowl without a Franchise QB. Do you really want to bet on those odds as a Bills fan? Especially considering the state of the rest of the team?

Honestly. Think about that. You really want to dismiss 10+ years of history and data under these new rules that state, without a shadow of a doubt, that QB is the most important piece of any championship team and care takers are no longer able to win Super Bowls on a regular basis?

Now, you happen to believe that the system makes the QB. That's fine. You believe that Drew Brees wouldn't be Drew Brees if he didn't go to the Chargers then the Saints. I think that's a very short sighted view, I'm not trying to change your mind. The fact is that Brees is who he is and Fitz is who he is. And Fitz is a very smart football player who lacks the accuracy (in my opinion) to be anything more than a solid starter. A step or two BELOW Brad Johnson (look at the numbers). With a better cast around him, the Bills will win more games. That's a fact. But with a better cast around him, Fitz still not an elite QB. He's still, at best, Brad Johnson. And at best that gives the Bills a 10% chance of winning a title.

Those aren't very good odds.

Edited by tgreg99

Never thought Ralph/Buddy had it in 'em - this has gotta be the biggest smokescreen I ever saw from the Bills' front office! :thumbsup:

There's NO WAY Buffalo takes a QB on day one - maybe on day 2, in round 3, if at all (probably Christian Ponder). JMO.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

:lol: On that note I am just going to end my discussion on this subject. :lol:

Again, Rypian, Gannon, Hostetler and Theisman all played in a very different NFL where defenses and running backs ruled while passing games were not nearly as prolific due to the rules of the game. Using those guys as examples is silly. The game has changed -- the league wanted to up scoring and passing numbers. They did that by altering the rules that hindered defenses (especially DBs) while tipping the scales in favor of the passing game.

Warner is a HOF QB and certainly elite. Ditto with Brady who may be the best QB ever to play the game. It doesn't matter where you find them -- they're elite. If Fitz were elite, no one would care he was a 7th rounder from Harvard. This isn't about drafting a first round QB. It's about the need for a franchise type QB to be added to this roster before they can ever be considered Super Bowl contenders. It's the single most important piece -- more important than any other position on either side of the ball. Right now, that player is not on the roster. That doesn't mean Fitz is bad. Neither No Saint nor myself have once said that Fitz shouldn't be the starter in '11. In fact, quite the opposite. But that doesn't mean he's the answer. He is plagued by his in ability to be consistent with his accuracy. That's a problem. And one that I personally believe cannot be taught. You either have it or you don't. And Fitz doesn't. THAT'S why he'll always be a good QB but not an elite one. And you need an elite QB to have a realistic shot at a Lombardi trophey.

Brad Johnson is not a HOF QB but was a pro bowler who happened to play at a very high level through most of his career. Still, for the sake of argument I'll give you him. That still means only one team in ten has a chance to win a Super Bowl without a Franchise QB. Do you really want to bet on those odds as a Bills fan? Especially considering the state of the rest of the team?

Honestly. Think about that. You really want to dismiss 10+ years of history and data under these new rules that state, without a shadow of a doubt, that QB is the most important piece of any championship team and care takers are no longer able to win Super Bowls on a regular basis?

Now, you happen to believe that the system makes the QB. That's fine. You believe that Drew Brees wouldn't be Drew Brees if he didn't go to the Chargers then the Saints. I think that's a very short sighted view, I'm not trying to change your mind. The fact is that Brees is who he is and Fitz is who he is. And Fitz is a very smart football player who lacks the accuracy (in my opinion) to be anything more than a solid starter. A step or two BELOW Brad Johnson (look at the numbers). With a better cast around him, the Bills will win more games. That's a fact. But with a better cast around him, Fitz still not an elite QB. He's still, at best, Brad Johnson. And at best that gives the Bills a 10% chance of winning a title.

Those aren't very good odds.

I totally agree with your post, and I really like Fitz, but in my opinion there is no dispute that he can throw touchdowns, but my biggest issue with him is about every other game he makes a mistake that is so dumb and minor league that it costs the Bills the game or has the potential too. I guess what I am saying is that he makes up for his lack of talent and arm strength, by taking a whole lot of chances, sometimes they play out for the good but sometimes they turn into crucial mistakes too.

I totally agree with your post, and I really like Fitz, but in my opinion there is no dispute that he can throw touchdowns, but my biggest issue with him is about every other game he makes a mistake that is so dumb and minor league that it costs the Bills the game or has the potential too. I guess what I am saying is that he makes up for his lack of talent and arm strength, by taking a whole lot of chances, sometimes they play out for the good but sometimes they turn into crucial mistakes too.

I don't think he's good enough to carry a ****ty team to the playoffs. But I do think he's good enough to play with a decent team and make the playoffs.

From the stats I've seen, he seems to start slow in games, get going in the 2nd and 3rd quarter, and by the 4th quarter he is playing from behind and taking even more chances, which results in turnovers.

If we improve our defense and keep other teams from running out ahead of us, and if Fitz continues to grow like he has, I feel like we can have a solid team, and we can focus on a "franchise" QB next year or the year after.

BY QUARTER	 CMP	ATT	YDS	CMP%	YPA	LNG	TD	INT	SACK	RAT	ATT	YDS	AVG	LNG	TD
1st Qtr		39	78	460	50.0	5.90	45	2	0	8.0	76.9	6	35	5.8	13	0
2nd Qtr		70	116	844	60.3	7.28	54	8	5	5.0	87.7	10	76	7.6	18	0
3rd Qtr		60	97	719	61.9	7.41	65	5	3	6.0	88.8	10	74	7.4	14	0
4th Qtr		78	129	881	60.5	6.83	37	8	7	4.0	79.0	11	63	5.7	22	0
Overtime	8	21	96	38.1	4.57	21	0	0	1.0	52.9	3	21	7.0	14	0

Is this what kids these days would call being pwned?

I don't think he's good enough to carry a ****ty team to the playoffs. But I do think he's good enough to play with a decent team and make the playoffs.

From the stats I've seen, he seems to start slow in games, get going in the 2nd and 3rd quarter, and by the 4th quarter he is playing from behind and taking even more chances, which results in turnovers.

If we improve our defense and keep other teams from running out ahead of us, and if Fitz continues to grow like he has, I feel like we can have a solid team, and we can focus on a "franchise" QB next year or the year after.

now im asking this hoping it wont come off as facetious but.... why not get that guy this year if you see him?

if it is expected to take some time for him to develop, we have a guy that can give him that time.... whats the advantage to waiting two years?

and for all the comparisons to a drew brees-esque awakening with an offseason as starter, who is to say we dont see a derek anderson-esque collapse with defensive coordinators having another year of film (and that film being in chans offense, not the dicky j show) and a full offseason to gameplan? I dont think he will collapse but its not as easy as "oh offseason starter means he MUST make a huge jump."

Edited by NoSaint

now im asking this hoping it wont come off as facetious but.... why not get that guy this year if you see him?

if it is expected to take some time for him to develop, we have a guy that can give him that time.... whats the advantage to waiting two years?

and for all the comparisons to a drew brees-esque awakening with an offseason as starter, who is to say we dont see a derek anderson-esque collapse with defensive coordinators having another year of film and a full offseason to gameplan? I dont think he will collapse but its not as easy as "oh offseason starter means he MUST make a huge jump."

If you see him, go for it, obviously. But if you see another, higher priority need, as well, then you have to weigh it against that.

I think defensive front seven is our biggest need. If Ralph/Nix/Chan/etc think that QB is our biggest need and they feel like someone at QB is worth #3, go for it. But I don't think we should force the issue if we have other (or even bigger) holes.

Being this bad means no matter who we pick is likely filling some sort of weakness. :lol:

I foresee two possible outcomes for the 2011 season.

1. Bills draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. If that's the case the kid will be the starter before the end of the 2011 season.

2. Bills pass on the QB in the draft. Fitzpatrick starts the entire year. Bills are once again in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

If you see him, go for it, obviously. But if you see another, higher priority need, as well, then you have to weigh it against that.

I think defensive front seven is our biggest need. If Ralph/Nix/Chan/etc think that QB is our biggest need and they feel like someone at QB is worth #3, go for it. But I don't think we should force the issue if we have other (or even bigger) holes.

Being this bad means no matter who we pick is likely filling some sort of weakness. :lol:

can you imagine if we dont find a way to improve our team with these first two picks? we could literally pick any position and not be ridiculed -- minus RB?

honestly, ive made my opinion known in other threads, but at those two picks i think that qb is so important, and its these guys staking there entire career -- you pull qb out of the rankings and just assign a yes or no grade- will they lead you to the big one? yes, they top your board, no and you leave them off.

Edited by NoSaint

can you imagine if we dont find a way to improve our team with these first two picks? we could literally pick any position and not be ridiculed -- minus RB?

honestly, ive made my opinion known in other threads, but at those two picks i think that qb is so important, and its these guys staking there entire career -- you pull qb out of the rankings and just assign a yes or no grade- will they lead you to the big one? yes, they top your board, no and you leave them off.

If our past is to be believed.... it doesn't matter who we pick at what position, they will likely be a bust. :lol:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

I respectfully disagree Senator, picking 3rd theres no reason for smokescreens, it only discourages other teams to even try to trade up with Buffalo by saying Buffalo wants a QB, so whats the motive?

RW wants a playoff/ championship caliber QB and what Wilson/Brandon wants Wilson/Brandon gets...(or tries to anyway)

Edited by Fig Newton