Ralph's thoughts on the CBA, the team, the draft

Beerball

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did some of you really think Wilson did well in the interview? I think he put his foot in his mouth as he usually does. What good is it to plead "no confidence" in your quarterback after he had his best season? And trying to lower fan expectations by saying making the playoffs may be two or three years away isn't going to bring in a new crowd of season ticket holders (especially when even that estimate had the disclaimer that it will only happen IF they get a quarterback.

Ralph is his own worst enemy in the PR game.

Did some of you really think Wilson did well in the interview? I think he put his foot in his mouth as he usually does. What good is it to plead "no confidence" in your quarterback after he had his best season? And trying to lower fan expectations by saying making the playoffs may be two or three years away isn't going to bring in a new crowd of season ticket holders (especially when even that estimate had the disclaimer that it will only happen IF they get a quarterback.

Ralph is his own worst enemy in the PR game.

He told the truth. The obvious truth. If he said something as delusionary that the Bills are going to be good next year he would be laughed off the stage. I have little regard for the owner. But he has been forthright in stating that getting back to respectability is going to take time and patience. For those honest remarks I give him credit. Anyone who thinks otherwise is going to be very disappointed.

Probably for the same reason that George Seifert has been seen at the Buffalo airport.

Yeah, like I'm making this up off the top of my head. I mean, I do that sort of thing regularly, right? (Between you and me, I do it win internet message board arguments, where I can hide behind a name that's not my own!)

Say what you will, but I remember it. Why are you defending Wilson anyway?? He was always a supporter of Johnson. Why does it seem implausible to you? And it's not like he attends most games.

Interesting he says that we can get to the playoffs but we need a qb. No matter what they say from 1 bills drive, I do not believe for a second this organization is sold on Fitz. I don't know though, I just do not think there is a qb in this draft worth taking with the number 3 pick. They need to fix the run defense. They are never going to beat the better teams if they are giving up 200yrds a game on the ground to them. I would take that big sucker from Auburn if he is there at number 3 & worry about the qb in the 2nd/3rd round. Fitz is relatively young, he still has an upside. For people saying he is what he is, last year statistically speaking he put up numbers comparable to Kelly's better seasons. I think we could win with him. Got to fix the defense first.

my exact thoughts......you cant fix the team in one draft......when we drafted bruce smith there were holes on the team everywhere...when you have a run defense ranked dead last its a no brainer where you have to use your draft picks.the bills should be using their first 3 picks on defense as far as i am concerned and then just go best player availabe from there......go bills in 2011

He told the truth. The obvious truth. If he said something as delusionary that the Bills are going to be good next year he would be laughed off the stage. I have little regard for the owner. But he has been forthright in stating that getting back to respectability is going to take time and patience. For those honest remarks I give him credit. Anyone who thinks otherwise is going to be very disappointed.

I agree John, nobody in their right mind wants to hear that Fitzpatrick is our QB of the future and its nice to hear RW's confirmation that he feels the same way.

Edited by Fig Newton

Yeah, like I'm making this up off the top of my head. I mean, I do that sort of thing regularly, right? (Between you and me, I do it win internet message board arguments, where I can hide behind a name that's not my own!)

Say what you will, but I remember it. Why are you defending Wilson anyway?? He was always a supporter of Johnson. Why does it seem implausible to you? And it's not like he attends most games.

No offense, dave, and it's nothing personal against you. It's just that I've learned not to trust anyone (even someone I know and like, like you) when they say they remember something. I believe it even less when it happened over a decade ago, and less still when the story changes. I have a pretty good memory myself and trust it more than others', but I still get things wrong and try to validate what I think I remember whenever I can. I don't recall hearing anything about RJ being Ralph's "baby," so to speak, and I've been on the internet (mostly looking-up Bills-related stuff) since 1994. I also did a search and couldn't find anything corroborating your story. Did it happen? Possibly. But I can't believe it, especially since Ralph doesn't strike me as the type to watch much football outside of the Bills. And no I don't think you made it up and believe you believe that it happened, and there's a difference there.

As for why I defend Wilson, mostly because he took a "foolish" $25K investment and parlayed it into a $700M asset some 50 years later, with many contributions along the way helping to lay the foundation for what the league is today. All the while he's kept the team in an economically-depressed area that has been losing population for decades, when he could have moved the team elsewhere with no expense on his part, and gotten a much larger return. And he's never gouged the fans with ticket prices and hasn't demanded that the taxpayers spend hundreds of millions for a new stadium that will line his pockets while pricing-out most of the average fans. The worst he's done is demand that fans buy club seats and the county provide $2.8M/year to help upkeep its stadium. Now as I acknowledged, the team has sucked for the last decade, and ultimately that rests with him since he's the owner. But I don't believe it's because he's "cheap" since he spends money on players, or that he's maliciously trying to pad his wallet at the expense of the team.

No offense, dave, and it's nothing personal against you. It's just that I've learned not to trust anyone (even someone I know and like, like you) when they say they remember something. I believe it even less when it happened over a decade ago, and less still when the story changes. I have a pretty good memory myself and trust it more than others', but I still get things wrong and try to validate what I think I remember whenever I can. I don't recall hearing anything about RJ being Ralph's "baby," so to speak, and I've been on the internet (mostly looking-up Bills-related stuff) since 1994. I also did a search and couldn't find anything corroborating your story. Did it happen? Possibly. But I can't believe it, especially since Ralph doesn't strike me as the type to watch much football outside of the Bills. And no I don't think you made it up and believe you believe that it happened, and there's a difference there.

As for why I defend Wilson, mostly because he took a "foolish" $25K investment and parlayed it into a $700M asset some 50 years later, with many contributions along the way helping to lay the foundation for what the league is today. All the while he's kept the team in an economically-depressed area that has been losing population for decades, when he could have moved the team elsewhere with no expense on his part, and gotten a much larger return. And he's never gouged the fans with ticket prices and hasn't demanded that the taxpayers spend hundreds of millions for a new stadium that will line his pockets while pricing-out most of the average fans. The worst he's done is demand that fans buy club seats and the county provide $2.8M/year to help upkeep its stadium. Now as I acknowledged, the team has sucked for the last decade, and ultimately that rests with him since he's the owner. But I don't believe it's because he's "cheap" since he spends money on players, or that he's maliciously trying to pad his wallet at the expense of the team.

That's a fair point, and I did change my story because my memory is slightly murky about this. I do remember a report about WIlson being blown away by Johnson's performance. In any event, Butler clearly loved him too. As you may recall, the Chargers really wanted him also - especially Gilbride, who was the coach in 1998 after being the OC of the Jags. Beathard, as I recall, was on the fence, but they ended up going for Leaf.

Johnson overall was a weird case. He was physically very, very talented (resembling Aaron Rodgers, to my mind). However, despite having Tony Boselli as his starting LT and, in a three-year sequence, Curtis Conway, Johnny Morton, and Keyshawn Johnson as his #1 receivers (all #1 picks and all productive NFL players), he never beat Notre Dame or UCLA in 6 tries. Yes, it's a team game, but I can tell you, I was at UCLA when he was there, and he simply didn't rise up to the big games. He choked. Yet the physical talent was obvious. Going into his senior year, he was regarded as a first round talent. He dropped to the first pick of the fourth round, which tells you something: he was the first pick of day two, which is the pick that aside from the first few picks of the draft is the one that teams had the most time to think about.

At any rate, the Bills clearly overvalued him, but they weren't the only team. I know the Chargers prized him, but there were probably more. Otherwise the Bills wouldn't have had to trade a first and a fourth.

Edited by dave mcbride

That's a fair point, and I did change my story because my memory is slightly murky about this. I do remember a report about WIlson being blown away by Johnson's performance. In any event, Butler clearly loved him too. As you may recall, the Chargers really wanted him also - especially Gilbride, who was the coach in 1998 after being the OC of the Jags. Beathard, as I recall, was on the fence, but they ended up going for Leaf.

Johnson overall was a weird case. He was physically very, very talented (resembling Aaron Rodgers, to my mind). However, despite having Tony Boselli as his starting LT and, in a three-year sequence, Curtis Conway, Johnny Morton, and Keyshawn Johnson as his #1 receivers (all #1 picks and all productive NFL players), he never beat Notre Dame or UCLA in 6 tries. Yes, it's a team game, but I can tell you, I was at UCLA when he was there, and he simply didn't rise up to the big games. He choked. Yet the physical talent was obvious. Going into his senior year, he was regarded as a first round talent. He dropped to the first pick of the fourth round, which tells you something: he was the first pick of day two, which is the pick that aside from the first few picks of the draft is the one that teams had the most time to think about.

At any rate, the Bills clearly overvalued him, but they weren't the only team. I know the Chargers prized him, but there were probably more. Otherwise the Bills wouldn't have had to trade a first and a fourth.

Actually the other team most interested in him was the team he had that great game against: the Ravens. But since they were in the same division (at the time), the Jags didn't want to have to face him twice a year. So the Bills "won" the bidding for him.

RJ's problems were that he looked for the big play too much, which exposed him to sacks, and he was too brittle to absorb the punishment he took. It also seemed like he was stuck on his fantasy numbers, as he'd do something like run out of bounds behind the LOS (which counts as a sack) instead of throwing the ball away, which would lower his completion percentage.

If Mr. Wilson wants to avoid another ten years of screwing things up he better refrain from making QB judgments. He gets the front office so confused between what they should do, what Ralph will let them do and what they think Ralph wants them to do. I've been a part of an organization like that and nothing ever really gets fixed because no one can do what needs to be done - they can only do what they think will be allowed to be done. Big difference. Stop getting in the way Mr. Wilson! Get good decision-makers (you may finally have enough in place) and support them. Build a team and then find a QB. Fitz might not be it but until you field a real team you won't be able to recognize the right QB anyway. Just like we need an OL before we know if Spillar is any good. Stop doing things backward. Fix the lines and then you'll get some clarity about the rest of the team. Exactly what you haven't allowed to happen the past ten years.

Edited by Kurt Warner

Actually the other team most interested in him was the team he had that great game against: the Ravens. But since they were in the same division (at the time), the Jags didn't want to have to face him twice a year. So the Bills "won" the bidding for him.

RJ's problems were that he looked for the big play too much, which exposed him to sacks, and he was too brittle to absorb the punishment he took. It also seemed like he was stuck on his fantasy numbers, as he'd do something like run out of bounds behind the LOS (which counts as a sack) instead of throwing the ball away, which would lower his completion percentage.

Wasn't Trent Edwards last play as a Buffalo Bill a run out of bounds like that?

Wasn't Trent Edwards last play as a Buffalo Bill a run out of bounds like that?

I looked it up and it was close. It was a run out of bounds, on 4th and 11, but he got a 4 yard gain.

Doesn't that just sum up the Trent Edwards era?

A 4 yard gain on 4th and 11. LOL.

Virtually any other QB would have made a desperation heave, which, as we all know, can be as good as a punt, or better.