WECK 1230 vs. WGR 550

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be quite pleased to see WGR take a big hit over the next few months/years. Their product is too often painful to listen to (eg: dead-horse topics of the day and even lamer actor/state drafts). I have basically tuned out in recent months.

Get the excellent (and free) "TuneIn Radio" app on your Android smartphone and start listening to Brad if you have not already done so.

I like Riters' angle...as program director, I hope he goes all local, and eliminates d-bags like Dennis Miller from the schedule...and don't they have Laura Ingrham?

dennis miller - d bag??, totally disagree, find him very funny, very informed, he is the "anti bill maher". it is a matter of preference.

dennis miller - d bag??, totally disagree, find him very funny, very informed, he is the "anti bill maher". it is a matter of preference.

He may be informed, but I never found him funny, even before his "I'm now a conservative" mea culpa. Just strikes me as someone who is not as funny as he thinks he is...someone I would never want to "hang out" with...say what you will about Maher...but I don't think it is fair to say he is not informed. Like you say, it's a matter of preference...I remember watching Miller on his old HBO show...his "rants", to me, were as compelling as listening to, say, Ben Affleck prattle on about his world view, all self-congragalatory and patting himself on the back, for remembering all those words...to be fair, I have rarely listened to Millers radio show...his mugging segments with Bill O'Riley are as much as I can take of him...

Edited by Buftex

He may be informed, but I never found him funny, even before his "I'm now a conservative" mea culpa. Just strikes me as someone who is not as funny as he thinks he is...someone I would never want to "hang out" with...say what you will about Maher...he is informed. Like you say, it's a matter of preference...

Dennis Miller? Smarmy. Unfunny. Unlikeable.

He may be informed, but I never found him funny, even before his "I'm now a conservative" mea culpa. Just strikes me as someone who is not as funny as he thinks he is...someone I would never want to "hang out" with...say what you will about Maher...but I don't think it is fair to say he is not informed. Like you say, it's a matter of preference...I remember watching Miller on his old HBO show...his "rants", to me, were as compelling as listening to, say, Ben Affleck prattle on about his world view, all self-congragalatory and patting himself on the back, for remembering all those words...to be fair, I have rarely listened to Millers radio show...his mugging segments with Bill O'Riley are as much as I can take of him...

bill maher is funny??? , i guess, if you think elitist humor is , miller is a guy i would love to have a beer with. loved him on monday night football, maher, probably thinks football is mindless, played by greedy athletes who would be better served working in the peace corps ..usual liberal drivel.."I'm now a conservative" mea culpa. , miller stated he became one after 9/11.

Edited by dwight in philly

I concur. Listening to Dennis Miller is enlightening, because most of his contemporaries don't understand a word he says. Our country has dumbed down over the past three decades and it's refreshing to hear someone so well spoken; although I sometimes need a dictionary myself.

I concur. Listening to Dennis Miller is enlightening, because most of his contemporaries don't understand a word he says. Our country has dumbed down over the past three decades and it's refreshing to hear someone so well spoken; although I sometimes need a dictionary myself.

He is funnier when lit up! Which I think is often.

i think that very thing got him booted from monday night football. his vocabulary and metaphors were just too much for the average fan, i would guess. i am not a rhodes scholar, but enjoyed his take while he was on the telecasts.

Edited by dwight in philly

i think that very thing got him booted from monday night football. his vocabulary and metaphors were just too much for the average fan, i would guess. i am not a rhodes scholar, but enjoyed his take while he was on the telecasts.

The fact that he really didn't know much about football might have played into it as well...back then, I was all for him getting the MNF job, becasue he could be good...but he wasn't.

The fact that he really didn't know much about football might have played into it as well...back then, I was all for him getting the MNF job, becasue he could be good...but he wasn't.

i kinda of agree with you about his football knowledge, but at the time, "monday night football" was more about entertainment than the purity of the game and i am quite sure that is why they gave him a shot.

bill maher is funny??? , i guess, if you think elitist humor is , miller is a guy i would love to have a beer with. loved him on monday night football, maher, probably thinks football is mindless, played by greedy athletes who would be better served working in the peace corps ..usual liberal drivel.."I'm now a conservative" mea culpa. , miller stated he became one after 9/11.

Actually, I don't find Maher all that funny when he does his sort of opening monlogues, and typical stand up stuff...and your take of his take on athletes isn't very accurate, although I am pretty sure he thinks we have an absurd fascination with that stuff.

My personal opinion on Miller, and I could be wrong, is sort of the same way I feel about O'Riley. Two guys who desperately want to be idolized, but couldn't get that worship from the Hollywood crowd...so they went the other way...

While I didn't intend for this to be a Miller vs Maher pissing contest (I know, Miller would win that on TBD), I think if you took both guys away from their comfortable setting, I think Maher is much more natural and doesn't have to try so hard to make his point...just using big words and going "out there" for metaphors doesn't make one extra smart in my book...

Edited by Buftex

Actually, I don't find Maher all that funny when he does his sort of opening monlogues, and typical stand up stuff...and your take of his take on athletes isn't very accurate, although I am pretty sure he thinks we have an absurd fascination with that stuff.

My personal opinion on Miller, and I could be wrong, is sort of the same way I feel about O'Riley. Two guys who desperately want to be idolized, but couldn't get that worship from the Hollywood crowd...so they went the other way...

While I didn't intend for this to be a Miller vs Maher pissing contest (I know, Miller would win that on TBD), I think if you took both guys away from their comfortable setting, I think Maher is much more natural and doesn't have to try so hard to make his point...just using big words and going "out there" for metaphors doesn't make one extra smart in my book...

i would guess maher vs miller thing that we kinds started is based on their respective political slant. it just boils down to liberal vs conservative, not so much the merits of their comedic talent.

Totally agree with your points. Maher is best when he interviews and has a panel to discuss the issues with. His monologue and ending riffs are decent but nothing special. His knowledge is broad and is very capable of holding his own over a broad political spectrum, something Miller does not do.

Dwight, it's a bit ironic to call Maher an elitist when half of Miller's words require a thesaurus for translation. Being elite is good, this was a principle America used to push on everyone. Now it's something people pick on and has taken on a negative connotation.