how many of you that don't like us taking a corner at 3...

Drew026

Lets take a sure thing this year. No more projects (Maybin) or potential superstar/busts (McKelvin, Spiller)...I say Nix lives by his word and takes BPA and takes AJ Green or one of the DTs (Fairly or Dareus)...no small OLBs (Miller) or potentially great pass rushers (Quinn and Bowers) and PLEASE NO QB. Everyone one of these QBs in this draft has some glaring problem that will enable them to start right away and we need a player to start right away with our #3 pick (Gabbert and Newton never played pro-style, Mallett is a statue and we'll get destroyed without a patriot O-line, Locker just isn't worth being drafted the first 2 rounds).

AJ Green would be my first choice because he is as close as it gets to a sure thing! After that we go LB and Dline heavy with a RT in the mix the next 2 rounds

Lets take a sure thing this year. No more projects (Maybin) or potential superstar/busts (McKelvin, Spiller)...I say Nix lives by his word and takes BPA and takes AJ Green or one of the DTs (Fairly or Dareus)...no small OLBs (Miller) or potentially great pass rushers (Quinn and Bowers) and PLEASE NO QB. Everyone one of these QBs in this draft has some glaring problem that will enable them to start right away and we need a player to start right away with our #3 pick (Gabbert and Newton never played pro-style, Mallett is a statue and we'll get destroyed without a patriot O-line, Locker just isn't worth being drafted the first 2 rounds).

AJ Green would be my first choice because he is as close as it gets to a sure thing! After that we go LB and Dline heavy with a RT in the mix the next 2 rounds

I agree with the sentiment that I'd like to see them draft players that are as close to sure things as possible, but

no draft pick is anything but potential. Some have more risk that can be identified than others do, but that doesn't

mean that even the "surest" thing is a 100% slam dunk. While I agree that AJ Green has produced for multiple years

and has great measureables, that doesn't guarantee that he will be great at the NFL level.

Further, I am with you in regards to thinking that they should hold off at QB this year and address the D, but there is

no QB ever coming out of the draft who is a sure thing. ALL of these guys come with risk.

I thought Jauron left the building?

Our run defense was terrible, especially up the gut- and that's no offense to Kyle Williams.

We need a much stouter run front on the D Line. Getting a snarling immovable object of a NT/ DT in a Pat Williams mold would make the LB's better by tying up blockers. It would also make blitzes more effective. Which would mean forcing QB's to hurry their passes, which would make our secondary better by being able to capitalize on poorly thrown footballs and create more opportunities for INT's.

How does drafting a CB at #3 fix the interior run defense?

:thumbdown:

I thought Jauron left the building?

Our run defense was terrible, especially up the gut- and that's no offense to Kyle Williams.

We need a much stouter run front on the D Line. Getting a snarling immovable object of a NT/ DT in a Pat Williams mold would make the LB's better by tying up blockers. It would also make blitzes more effective. Which would mean forcing QB's to hurry their passes, which would make our secondary better by being able to capitalize on poorly thrown footballs and create more opportunities for INT's.

How does drafting a CB at #3 fix the interior run defense?

:thumbdown:

And you see one them worthy a #3 overall pick in this draft?

And you see one them worthy a #3 overall pick in this draft?

There Is no question.

For some of you it seems like you have buyer's remorse with the #3 pick.

"The Bills should lose to improve their draft stock the top of the draft is sooo much better. The Bills should lose to improve their draft stock the top of the draft is sooo much better. The Bills should lose to improve their draft stock the top if the draft is sooo much better." now you're at the lot picking out your #3 pick and getting worried.

"This guy can't leap buildings with a single bound, this guy is not more powerful than a locamotive. He isn't faster than a speeding bullet. He is just a great college football. Clearly not worth the #3 overall"

You think the Rams were excited this time last year? A spread Offense QB coming off a year injury to his throwing shoulder or an interior D lineman that had a sick bowlgame.

Fairely and Dareus are great college football players that have extremmly hard to find athletic abilities at their size and well "worth" the #3 overall pick.

Edited by Why So Serious?

You think the Rams were excited this time last year? A spread Offense QB coming off a year injury to his throwing shoulder or an interior D lineman that had a sick bowlgame.

Saint Louis was going with Bradford all along no matter what.

Rams 2010 1st Pick Consensus

Sam Bradford is a far better prospect than anything in the 2011 draft.

Not a single one of them has demonstrated anywhere near the technique, athletic ability, maturity and consistency as Green or Peterson at their position. Not even close really

I did watch Dareus play, whole game nearly that was all it took for me to jump on the wagon. The man had every quality i love in a football player. Never quit always knew where the ball was. He is the man in my book, but he has looked to be coming in closer to #8. His stock has been rising and will probably continue at the combine. Now i am worried he might go at #1.

And his skills are perfect for our hybrid and a phenomenal compliment to Kyle's ability to line up in different packages.

If we draft a CB or WR i will be dissappointed but not surprised and promise not to hate but... def 7 is where we should be focused and a Dareus might also be BPA and positional need. bingo!

Edited by 3rdand12

Not a single one of them has demonstrated anywhere near the technique, athletic ability, maturity and consistency as Green or Peterson at their position. Not even close really

Disagree, but it doesn't matter if Green and Peterson are more refined. You don't build a team from the fringe inward.

Case it point: Remember when the Bills came into last season with supposedly only one starting quality NFL WR? Turns out it was the strongest unit on the team. And it was all because the Bills finally got adequate play from the QB and OL. Not great, but adequate.

Have you considered that improved front 7 play would make Leodis McKelvin look like the pro bowl corner he was supposed to be? Or make guys like McGee, Florence and Reggie Corner look a lot better?

And as far as Green goes......I'd love to have him, but what do you actually expect from Green? Stevie Johnson numbers? Stevie's numbers were very similar to those of Calvin Johnson who is regarded as the most talented young WR in the game. Face it, there are only so many footballs to go around and you have a young 6th round pick who can be your #1 already. As Cinci showed this past year when they added TO to the mix, sometimes you can get diminishing returns by putting too many #1 WIDE receivers on the field. IMO, the Bills have a nice balance at this position and I feel confident they can continue to re-stock it with later round picks if they continue to improve their QB play and running game. What the Bills really need is a receiving TE to attack the middle of the Jets and Pats zone defenses. Green is not going to be that guy, nor are any of the other wr on the Bills.

Saint Louis was going with Bradford all along no matter what.

Rams 2010 1st Pick Consensus

Sam Bradford is a far better prospect than anything in the 2011 draft.

Consensus on April 22nd not Jan 22nd.

But you're missing the whole point on top of that you're judging based on what you know about Sam Bradford's performance in 2010.

This time last year and really up until October of 2010 no one knew if Sam Bradford could make it in the NFL.

It's easy to rewrite history and say "Sam Bradford is far better prospect than anything in the 2011 draft" but that's actually far from the truth. Especially comparing Feb 2011 with Feb 2010. Tons of questions swirled around Bradford, more than just the injury.

The bigger point is at #3 in the draft you are drafting a 21 or 22 year old college kid full of potential that has lots of question marks whether you pick #3 or #23.

I want to know how you convince yourself of these things. The confusion is incredible.

You can watch some of his games here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoshMTD

Here's what I saw after watching him against Bama, Texas A and M and Auburn

Big, very fast, very good at keeping a receiver at the line.

On the other hand, I saw about 5 passes that were thrown in tight coverage to him. No ints, no pb's, 4 completions. That was actually disappointing for a guy that's supposed to be the best DB of the last decade. He can be beat with regularity on a comeback route.

In run support, his ability to get off a blocking WR is average. For a guy that's 225lbs...below average. He needs A LOT of coaching in that area..there were times watching him when I'm thinking "If I'm this guy's coach, I'm gonna be screaming at him on the sideline. Get off the damn WR and make the tackle!".

In taking angles and hitting, he's no Ronnie Lott, Troy P or Bob Sanders. He did get dragged 10 yards by Cam Newton though.

Someone in this thread made the Donte Whitner comparison in run support, and it isn't too far off.

I don't see him making our run game any better. In 3 games I saw 0 big plays.

6'1" DB's that run a 4.2 don't grow on trees, but he has a lot of work to do.

For a guy that runs a 4.2 and plays close to the line, you'd expect more plays at the LOS. For a guy 225lbs. you'd expect him to get off a WR better.

Consensus on April 22nd not Jan 22nd.

But you're missing the whole point on top of that you're judging based on what you know about Sam Bradford's performance in 2010.

This time last year and really up until October of 2010 no one knew if Sam Bradford could make it in the NFL.

It's easy to rewrite history and say "Sam Bradford is far better prospect than anything in the 2011 draft" but that's actually far from the truth. Especially comparing Feb 2011 with Feb 2010. Tons of questions swirled around Bradford, more than just the injury.

The bigger point is at #3 in the draft you are drafting a 21 or 22 year old college kid full of potential that has lots of question marks whether you pick #3 or #23.

Billy Devaney knew he was going to take Bradford first overall after the pro day at OU in late March 2010. The knock on Bradford was an injury and little else different than what college QB's have to deal with moving from the NCAA to the NFL. When he was cleared to throw in February '10 and had an excellent pro day in March, the decision was made for the Rams.

None of the QB's available this year are really top-10 caliber guys in a very weak class. Bradford, after alleviating concerns about his shoulder, was the best QB in his class and a better pick than any of the 2011 QB prospects.

For some of you it seems like you have buyer's remorse with the #3 pick.

"The Bills should lose to improve their draft stock the top of the draft is sooo much better. The Bills should lose to improve their draft stock the top of the draft is sooo much better. The Bills should lose to improve their draft stock the top if the draft is sooo much better." now you're at the lot picking out your #3 pick and getting worried.

"This guy can't leap buildings with a single bound, this guy is not more powerful than a locamotive. He isn't faster than a speeding bullet. He is just a great college football. Clearly not worth the #3 overall"

Fairely and Dareus are great college football players that have extremely hard to find athletic abilities at their size and well "worth" the #3 overall pick.

So true.

All season long there was a significant and loud group of posters who believed that the Bills should lose every game for the chance to draft Andrew Luck.

Problem was Luck didn't declare for the draft.

Now we are still endowed with the 3rd overall pick in this draft. With good decision making and an iota of luck, errr good fortune, the Bills have an opportunity to land the best player in this year's draft class.

But now there is a lot of indecision and angst about who to take.

The chances are very good that the Bills are going to get an outstanding football player. It's not like there is only one great player that comes out of each draft class.

Billy Devaney knew he was going to take Bradford first overall after the pro day at OU in late March 2010. The knock on Bradford was an injury and little else different than what college QB's have to deal with moving from the NCAA to the NFL. When he was cleared to throw in February '10 and had an excellent pro day in March, the decision was made for the Rams.

None of the QB's available this year are really top-10 caliber guys in a very weak class. Bradford, after alleviating concerns about his shoulder, was the best QB in his class and a better pick than any of the 2011 QB prospects.

Yes Sam Bradford had a great pro day leading up to the draft. I know that, that's my point. At this time last year no one knew who was going #1 overall. Suh was the safe pick

Leaving Bradford #4 to Redskins or #6 to Seattle this time last year.

That is your opinion of the 2011 QB class and you're welcome to it.

But it's just that opinion, far from consensus and IMO far from reality.

You can watch some of his games here:

youtube.com/user/JoshMTD

Here's what I saw after watching him against Bama, Texas A and M and Auburn

Big, very fast, very good at keeping a receiver at the line.

On the other hand, I saw about 5 passes that were thrown in tight coverage to him. No ints, no pb's, 4 completions. That was actually disappointing for a guy that's supposed to be the best DB of the last decade. He can be beat with regularity on a comeback route.

In run support, his ability to get off a blocking WR is average. For a guy that's 225lbs...below average. He needs A LOT of coaching in that area..there were times watching him when I'm thinking "If I'm this guy's coach, I'm gonna be screaming at him on the sideline. Get off the damn WR and make the tackle!".

In taking angles and hitting, he's no Ronnie Lott, Troy P or Bob Sanders. He did get dragged 10 yards by Cam Newton though.

Someone in this thread made the Donte Whitner comparison in run support, and it isn't too far off.

I don't see him making our run game any better. In 3 games I saw 0 big plays.

6'1" DB's that run a 4.2 don't grow on trees, but he has a lot of work to do.

For a guy that runs a 4.2 and plays close to the line, you'd expect more plays at the LOS. For a guy 225lbs. you'd expect him to get off a WR better.

Thanks for the scouting report. That is excellent work.

I keep saying that I have watched him play many games and am not impressed and dont think he is a once in a generation, NFL ready DB to take with #3 overall. I keep getting CBssports links in response.

Peterson is far from a sure thing and has many ? in playing CB in the NFL.

People that have actually watched him play tend not to put him in the "BPA" ( like all the players line up in a row based on a magical scouting service's assessment, like the draft is a Madden video game "Just take the next guy in line, it's that easy") conversation.

I'd take him as a Safety in the mid to late first, the play where Cam drags him 10 yards down the field was impressive for Peterson he had to cover most of the field to try and make the stop. If it were a WR or RB he might have made the stop.